VMC Consulting Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Look elsewhere if you can...

Former Employee - CRM Support Engineer in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - CRM Support Engineer in Fargo, ND

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great way to start out in the technology field if have no experience and need to get it to better you resume. Training is good if lead by Microsoft Support Engineers.

Cons

The pay is not good. Base hourly salary usually starts around 15$/hr to 17$/hr. Management is awful, they don't care about their employees happiness and anything you say to them goes in one ear and our the other. I never felt comfortable going to upper level management in fear of being fired for voicing an opinion. They say they have an open door policy, but certainly don't mean it for how management portrays themselves. Raises are bad. In the three years I worked there, there were 0.10 to 0.15 cent raises once a year. I got a better raise when I worked at Geek Squad. I was lucky to have had a diamond in the rough manager who made I reported, but once she moved on, I was not happy anymore. She really helped to filter out all the nonsense coming from higher ups. Her replacement was the polar opposite of her and hence why I left. Even upper management treated her like dirt. If you come on as a Volt employee, the benefits are not good. They are limited medical and dental benefits. Once you are brought on as a VMC employee, usually happens after a year of working for Volt, the benefits get better and are your standard 80% coverage and dental of $1,000 annual. When I left, they didn't even bother to do an exit interview that is how little they cared and I was one of the top performers on my team. They just said "I need you laptop and bag" and he walked me out on my last day (normal security measure they do).

Advice to Management

You need to practice what you preach. Definitely not living your core values. If you want to keep the turn around to a minimum, you need to listen to your employees, treat them well, show them that they are valued to both you and to the company!

I worked at VMC Consulting as a contractor for more than 6 years

Former Employee - Hourly Worker in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Hourly Worker in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at VMC Consulting (More than 5 years)

Pros

That’s a hard one, they came to me when the last contracting place lost the bid.
    Pay was OK untill they took a cut.

Cons

They cut your pay then a few years later they will give you what they call a raise that’s less than the pay cut, the dysfunctional huffy project coordinator will laugh if you mention a cost of living raise.

Advice to Management

Management through intimidation.
    Take better care of the people that are doing the work.
    Ron Hurle: egotistical, self-admiring.

No one steering the ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting

Pros

Great talent pool. Recruiting is good

Cons

NO leadership. Previous leadership team has been replaced. New leader was brought in and bolted soon after. Double dip with VMC and VIS so client gets charged twice. Contracter's are body slammed and y employees stay because of path of least resistance. Childish, Petty, Toxic. Run away

Longtime customers are leaving once contracts expire

Advice to Management

get some leadership

I wouldn't recommend a job here if I liked you!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They do a lot of work with some of the top clients and the folks on the line do a great job so within the client companies the reputation of the company tends to be they are expensive but good.

Cons

Internal systems and policies are terrible, hard to get anything done, The company culture is that of udder chaos a whole new management team has come in over the last year, and they are putting together the direction and focus without asking anyone who has been around doing the work. Fear based leadership had built a culture where no one wants to talk or ask questions for fear of being fired.

Advice to Management

Look around you have some amazing talent working for you, but if you continue down the path those people won't stay around for long.

One of the worst most disorganized companies I've ever worked for

I worked at VMC Consulting

Pros

There are literally no good things you can say

Cons

Management has no idea what's going on and they constantly enact policies that have little relevance to employees. They emphasize policy and procedure and forget about the service they are providing. No one ever has any idea what's going on and most employees run around confused and frustrated

Project Coordinator

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Redmond, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nothing? they got me a job? but the only thing they gave me was a foot in the door

Cons

VMC will get you placed but they take more than any other contracting company and you'll wish you weren't associated with them. Trying to move up or on-ward is completely impossible here. Some recruiters are nice and will help as much as possible but the company as a whole can't do anything.

Advice to Management

Paying double over-head to VMC and Volt really keeps us from getting even close to what we deserve.

8. Worked in the Redmond area for more than 5 years

Current Employee - Chief Bottle Washer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Chief Bottle Washer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to advance are provided as they win contracts and jobs lost when they lose them. It is the same for all of the vendor companies in this area. Great place to work to gain knowledge.

Cons

Office culture is cold, work-life balance has improved over the last year, I think there is promise here, but would wait until they figure out and openly communicate where they are going.

9. Apple Tier 1 Support

Former Employee - Apple Tier I Support in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Apple Tier I Support in San Antonio, TX

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Coworkers are friendly and managers are friendly

Cons

- You job only depends on customer surveys

10. Lack of upward mobility options, difficult managers

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Fargo, ND

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High starting wage for the area.
    There is some freedom that you are otherwise not accustomed to at a call center help desk type position such as not being treated like a 10 year old when going to the bathroom or showing up a few minutes late. Generally if you are on time and work you do not have your day monitor minute by minute.

Cons

The micro management is too much, you must account for the work you have done in multiple ways which in turn eats up more time that you could be working with the customer.

Management reviews in single instances, they will look at the current status of the team at that moment in time and expect a multiple paragraph explanation as to what the cause of the volume is or why work is not getting done. After explaining you may have to explain again later to another manager or update them with any new information and a game plan for moving forward.

There is no upward movement, as a vendor for Microsoft the best advice is to move up the 2-3 steps that exist in the ladder and then try to get hired on by a company that actually cares and has career paths.

Raises are talked up when hired as well as bonuses, these sometimes exist but there is a wage ceiling. There is no cost of living raise and if moving to a team that has a higher starting wage than your current one you must fight to be brought up to that pay level despite having more experience than a new hire. This is very common and I have personally experienced this.

PTO is only 80 hours a year and there is a limit to how many people on certain teams can have a day off at the same time. Schedules are done differently from one team to another, on my old team there was a multi week schedule, it is dangerous to make long term plans for trips that involve purchasing or reserving anything as you are never certain if you will get time off, personal experience.

There is no compensation for working overnights or weekends although this will be implied in some cases when interviewing or during your orientation, the old team I was on did 24/7 support, there was no incentive to work overnights or weekends.

Advice to Management

Be honest with people.
    Do not smother subordinates with micro managing or redundant duties.
    Let your employees earn trust on an individual basis and then trust them unless they give you a reason not to.
    Accept feedback instead of receiving any management critical feedback as confrontational.
    Do not burden those beneath you with tasks that you could complete yourself.
    Do not make everything a top priority, this is asking the impossible and causes unneeded strain on people.

Product Testing (games and consumer devices)

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great in-house testing group in Montreal, Canada.

Cons

Compensation model is lacking true commission structure for sales people.

RSS Feed </> Embed