VMTurbo Reviews

LOVE my job

Current Employee - Business Development Representative
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work environment is awesome and the company's training program. VM Turbo is a great company to begin a career in Technology Sales, and has amazing growth potential. It's growing RAPIDLY, yet maintains full stability. The market is virtually untouched because of the company's philosophical approach to solving issues in the virtual environments of its customers.

Cons

The work days are a bit longer than typical, but the perks of even the most entry level positions at the company offset the extra time.

Keep looking, don't work at VMTurbo

Former Employee - Business Development Representative  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at VMTurbo full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is difficult to answer because there aren't many. I guess I would say weekly company lunch and a handful of respectful people.

Cons

The challenges of working at Vmturbo begin at the overall mentality of everyone that works there. They want to hire kids straight out of college, pay them cheap money and discard them without notice if they aren't hitting their metrics. Instead of consulting and putting in the effort to help their employees, they will be happy to dispose of you because there are a group of new bdrs coming in after you each week. If you are looking for a job, DO NOT accept the offer from Vmturbo, keep looking. If you're reading these reviews after you've already accepted, goodluck and be prepared to say goodbye to your personal life. I give it one star because it's a paying job.

It's a Great Time to be a VMTurbo Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Valhalla, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valhalla, NY

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

The engineering team is still small enough that everybody has the chance to stand out, and everyone's work is high-impact. If you're looking for a job where you can ride the coattails of your coworkers and just put in the 9-5, this isn't the place for you. But if you know what you're doing and you are excited about working on bleeding edge technologies that have a strong chance of shaking up an industry, then this is exactly where you want to be.

The engineering office has standard IT company perks (casual dress code, ping pong table, couches and bean bag chairs, the World Cup playing on a big screen TV, all-you-can-eat snacks, soda, juices, fruit, and coffee, etc). Working from home on occasion is permitted so long as you don't abuse the privilege.

You also have the opportunity to do More. Want to advance your career? Ask for more responsibility and demonstrate that you're capable. Want to earn some extra cash on the side? We've got a list of ideas sitting around, just waiting for someone to pick up the project and make it a reality.

Engineering has a very low turnover, so job security is not a problem. In the two years I've been here, I can only think of 2-3 people that have actually quit (compared to hiring ~20 in the same time frame). The company culture is great, and for the most part everyone enjoys working with everyone else, and people actually LIKE coming to work every day.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like we're trying to grow too fast and do too much, and hiring in engineering doesn't always keep up with what the company roadmap has in store. But at the same time, that just creates more opportunities for people to stand out, and when you stand out, your work is noticed and appreciated.

When we're close to a release date, it's generally all-hands-on-deck until the product is ready to ship, but can that really be considered a Con if that's extremely common across the entire software industry?

Keep up with the transparency. It's cool having all of this information available to us.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not work when you love it!

Current Employee - Recruiting  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Boston, MA

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Supportive and positive team environment to come into each day
    -The opportunity to create your career is at your fingertips
    -A youthful and fun atmosphere
    -Feeling a part of the exponential growth!

Cons

-A steep learning curve (driven and competitive individuals have high success - rise to the challenge!)

Evening out the reviews

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA

I worked at VMTurbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

The 5 star reviews are more than a little inflated, on its best day this place is a 4 but usually it's 2-3 stars. I put one to even out the average.
    1) Good place to build new sales and technology skills with little or no experience
    2) Fun atmosphere of people
    3) Dedicated staff through and through

Cons

Overall the real problem is over-inflated expectations by Bain Capital on the success of the company. Yes it's a superior product, but it takes a while to educate someone of that fact and the product is within a small & saturated segment of the IT stack. This company will be successful, but it's not the next VMware or even Nicira. You'll be working very hard for a low to medium reward:

1) Long Hours
    2) Low pay / compensation plan
    3) Talk of the company exploding and growing like it's just around the corner, but the company grows at a decent rate in Q4 & Q1, then downsizes in Q2 and Q3
    4) Useless and annoying performance metrics
    5) Tons of time educating and chasing potential customers; 70% of your time is spent calling people that don't pick up, huge drain on your time
    6) Way more "pull" tactics when it comes to selling; most people don't want to research the cheaper option when they can afford the more expensive one (even if the cheaper one could turn out to be better)

Quit hyping dials, the customer market for this product isn't big enough for mass colds calls and it ends up alienating potential customers. Get callers to chase the sun and only call during peak hours in each time zone. Focus more on the strategies that actually get people interested vs hoping they will pick up.

One of the best sales jobs in technology...

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've only been at VMTurbo for a few months but I've spent the last 7 years in technology sales selling everything from Storage to Security. I've worked for established regional players to nationally recognized brands and I have to say this is the most excited I've been to get out of bed in the morning in my entire career. The company is truly electric, the leadership is top notch, and most importantly is the product. This is the first time in 7 years I've been able to make a call to a customer who recently bought an alleged "competitor" and they are still willing to take the call and see a demo. The reason is because the product here fills all the holes in this market space and solves the main problem customers are originally trying to solve when they invest in our "competitors". Very rarely is there an opportunity to be at the ground floor of such a powerful technology, but it's the reason I made the jump to VMTurbo.

Cons

It's hard work. Like any sales job, or any job for that matter, you get out what you put in. If you are looking for a 9-5 job and to be home in time for Seinfeld re-runs, this isn't the job for you and quite honestly, I don't know if technology sales in general is right for you. If you want to do well in any tech sales job, you have to put in the time, the good side here is that everyone is doing it and you are part of building something very special. Its not about drinking the KoolAid, its about wanting to succeed, and wanting the people next to you succeed, which isn't something you find at a lot of sales jobs these days.

Keep doing what you're doing. The company is growing exponentially and from a product stand point we are delivering on the promises we are making from a sales side, which again, is not something you find a lot of in tech sales.

Be very careful taking a job here.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA

I worked at VMTurbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome product, salary, compensation from closing big deals. You will cut your teeth in cutthroat sales here.

Cons

Cold calling, very little training, sink or swim environment, Micro-management, Work-life balance, company values, managers that belittle subordinates.

The reality is that this place is a sweat-shop. It is a Bain Investment company, where the model is to recruit young sales professionals, work them to the bone and spit them out. Repeat that as the quarters go on. Your job will be on the line every month, starting from day one.

Pretty interesting seeing 20+ 5 star reviews posted all at the same time on Glassdoor. The 5 star reviews you see posted are not honest reviews and were most likely an assignment handed down from management.

Potentially the worst organisation ever

Former Employee - Sales  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA

I worked at VMTurbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great salary, "Enterprise solution", Young team

Cons

CEO is high maintenance and constantly belittles his staff. Very much an old boys club management team who are only interested in selling the company for a vast profit.

No care taken to ensure staff are happy or being trained / utilized to the best of their ability.

Product isn't strong enough but there is no desire to improve the platform.

Not able to be sold in any market other than those with over 1000 servers in an environment - they have to be virtual.

Suck it up, realize you are not gods walking the earth... oh and don't fall asleep in meetings with companies who have actually decided to invest in the technology.

False Advertisement

I worked at VMTurbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product and for the most part a great team of people to work with. Fun, young atmosphere and working in one of the hottest technology fields.

Cons

horrible work hours - expected to put in 11 hour days minimum with very low pay. Advertise fast growth potential but really only happens if you knew upper management from a previous company before coming in. The average AE/BRD will be worked dry and pushed out for someone younger and cheaper.

Fantastic company to work for

Current Employee - Technical Support  in  White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support in White Plains, NY

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very exciting place to work at. Get to know the latest trends in virtualization. The place have lot of energy and it is taking off like a rocket.

Cons

the hours are little longer, but it is so enjoyable to work. You want to contribute to the company success.

Keep up with the good work.

Worked for VMTurbo? Contribute to the Community!