VMTurbo Reviews

39 reviews filtered by
3.9
VMTurbo CEO Benjamin Nye
Benjamin Nye

A great place to gain diverse experience and advance

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Valhalla, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Valhalla, NY

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an engineer you get to be a part of a relatively small team that works and an amazing, cutting edge product. New features come out every two months so the work is very dynamic and exciting. There are plenty of programatic challenges to solve. The greatest advantage is that if you are hardworking and want a challenge there are always amazing opportunities to advance. They highly appreciate hard work.
    As a startup the work sometimes revolves around customer needs and problems which gives the developer a chance to interact with customers if they wish to.
    We are a small team with very flat hierarchy and we are all a part of everything that is going on. We all take part in the hiring process and have a say in wether someone gets an offer or not. Our opinion on any subject is valued and heard and we have the power to suggest changes to the product and get a platform to present things we did that we think are of value.
    Overall, It is hard work very challenging but super interesting. Lots of learning opportunities and advancement options.

Cons

Far from NYC, Can't really get here with public transportation.
    There are some car pools going out from the city though, if you can get a place on any of those.
    It is a demanding work place and as a startup there are sometimes issues that arise that need to be solved in a timely manner, no matter the time or day.

Advice to Management

Reward hard work better, and not always to the same three people, it would encourage more developers to go the extra mile.
    Move to the city.

2. Great company for new graduates...but be warned.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at VMTurbo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a place where little experience goes a long way. If you want to break in and develop yourself from the ground up here's the place to do it.

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen. Everyone can't be a leader in an organization that's rapidly scaling and the rising tides do not lift all boats in this harbor. Zero work life balance.

Advice to Management

Consider slowing the growth for added structural integrity. Bigger is not always better and a carefree fun environment isn't always the best place to conduct business.

3. Micro Managed and extermemly polical. Stay away!!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at VMTurbo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product! And so great people trapped in a terrible company

Cons

No matter how hard you work or if you achieve your goals you still have to watch your back. You will hear from day one METRICS, if you do your job right and achieve your metrics goals than you are part of the winning team. That is totally FALSE! Hitting metrics doesn't really mean anything, it's all about being aligned with the right people. There is no transparency, company culture or support to speak of. Just a bunch of people stabbing each other in the back. I would not recommend working at this company.

Advice to Management

If you give someone a large title make sure they have the experience to handle it and stop claiming your transparent its a complete joke to everyone who works there.

Told one thing given another

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting product some good people.

Cons

You will be told one thing about success growth bonuses but reality is different. Small group of people followed founders from another company and get real promotions raises options but the rest get promotions with no raise and no other real reward. Promise of success and getting rich used to keep workers at long hours weekends holidays, constant pressure to be in the office longer days, engineering schedules nights for work and you get talking to if you don't stay.

Advice to Management

More reward to everybody that works hard not just select few from other company and more reasonable work schedule, stop pressuring people to work longer days nights weekends. Stick to hiring agreements.

Awesome company, great upside, true to offer.

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get off the train each day and want to run into the office. I love working at VMTurbo. Our office is fast-paced and dynamic. The atmosphere is intense, highly spirited, and fun. Everything listed in the job offer has been true to the experience I have had thus far.

Cons

Don't apply or accept an offer from VMTurbo if you are not ready to work incredibly hard each and every day. If long hours and constant learning/professional development are not your thing, consider other options.

Advice to Management

Take on fewer Business Development Representatives each month and invest more in the recruits that are hired.

LOVE my job

Current Employee - Business Development Representative
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is awesome and the company's training program. VM Turbo is a great company to begin a career in Technology Sales, and has amazing growth potential. It's growing RAPIDLY, yet maintains full stability. The market is virtually untouched because of the company's philosophical approach to solving issues in the virtual environments of its customers.

Cons

The work days are a bit longer than typical, but the perks of even the most entry level positions at the company offset the extra time.

Do not work at Vmturbo

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at VMTurbo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You might get promoted but only if you put in at LEAST 60 hours a week.

Cons

If my friend was considering a job at VMTurbo and they asked for my advice, I would tell them to keep looking. Most of the BDRs are unhappy with the environment and the word is getting out.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't make it so apparent that you're looking to hire recent grads for cheap labor to make you money.

It's a Great Time to be a VMTurbo Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valhalla, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valhalla, NY

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineering team is still small enough that everybody has the chance to stand out, and everyone's work is high-impact. If you're looking for a job where you can ride the coattails of your coworkers and just put in the 9-5, this isn't the place for you. But if you know what you're doing and you are excited about working on bleeding edge technologies that have a strong chance of shaking up an industry, then this is exactly where you want to be.

The engineering office has standard IT company perks (casual dress code, ping pong table, couches and bean bag chairs, the World Cup playing on a big screen TV, all-you-can-eat snacks, soda, juices, fruit, and coffee, etc). Working from home on occasion is permitted so long as you don't abuse the privilege.

You also have the opportunity to do More. Want to advance your career? Ask for more responsibility and demonstrate that you're capable. Want to earn some extra cash on the side? We've got a list of ideas sitting around, just waiting for someone to pick up the project and make it a reality.

Engineering has a very low turnover, so job security is not a problem. In the two years I've been here, I can only think of 2-3 people that have actually quit (compared to hiring ~20 in the same time frame). The company culture is great, and for the most part everyone enjoys working with everyone else, and people actually LIKE coming to work every day.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like we're trying to grow too fast and do too much, and hiring in engineering doesn't always keep up with what the company roadmap has in store. But at the same time, that just creates more opportunities for people to stand out, and when you stand out, your work is noticed and appreciated.

When we're close to a release date, it's generally all-hands-on-deck until the product is ready to ship, but can that really be considered a Con if that's extremely common across the entire software industry?

Advice to Management

Keep up with the transparency. It's cool having all of this information available to us.

Not work when you love it!

Current Employee - Recruiting in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Boston, MA

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Supportive and positive team environment to come into each day
    -The opportunity to create your career is at your fingertips
    -A youthful and fun atmosphere
    -Feeling a part of the exponential growth!

Cons

-A steep learning curve (driven and competitive individuals have high success - rise to the challenge!)

Evening out the reviews

Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA

I worked at VMTurbo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The 5 star reviews are more than a little inflated, on its best day this place is a 4 but usually it's 2-3 stars. I put one to even out the average.
    1) Good place to build new sales and technology skills with little or no experience
    2) Fun atmosphere of people
    3) Dedicated staff through and through

Cons

Overall the real problem is over-inflated expectations by Bain Capital on the success of the company. Yes it's a superior product, but it takes a while to educate someone of that fact and the product is within a small & saturated segment of the IT stack. This company will be successful, but it's not the next VMware or even Nicira. You'll be working very hard for a low to medium reward:

1) Long Hours
    2) Low pay / compensation plan
    3) Talk of the company exploding and growing like it's just around the corner, but the company grows at a decent rate in Q4 & Q1, then downsizes in Q2 and Q3
    4) Useless and annoying performance metrics
    5) Tons of time educating and chasing potential customers; 70% of your time is spent calling people that don't pick up, huge drain on your time
    6) Way more "pull" tactics when it comes to selling; most people don't want to research the cheaper option when they can afford the more expensive one (even if the cheaper one could turn out to be better)

Advice to Management

Quit hyping dials, the customer market for this product isn't big enough for mass colds calls and it ends up alienating potential customers. Get callers to chase the sun and only call during peak hours in each time zone. Focus more on the strategies that actually get people interested vs hoping they will pick up.