VMTurbo Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
4.2

Benjamin Nye

A great place to gain diverse experience and advance

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Valhalla, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Valhalla, NY

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an engineer you get to be a part of a relatively small team that works and an amazing, cutting edge product. New features come out every two months so the work is very dynamic and exciting. There are plenty of programatic challenges to solve. The greatest advantage is that if you are hardworking and want a challenge there are always amazing opportunities to advance. They highly appreciate hard work.
    As a startup the work sometimes revolves around customer needs and problems which gives the developer a chance to interact with customers if they wish to.
    We are a small team with very flat hierarchy and we are all a part of everything that is going on. We all take part in the hiring process and have a say in wether someone gets an offer or not. Our opinion on any subject is valued and heard and we have the power to suggest changes to the product and get a platform to present things we did that we think are of value.
    Overall, It is hard work very challenging but super interesting. Lots of learning opportunities and advancement options.

Cons

Far from NYC, Can't really get here with public transportation.
    There are some car pools going out from the city though, if you can get a place on any of those.
    It is a demanding work place and as a startup there are sometimes issues that arise that need to be solved in a timely manner, no matter the time or day.

Reward hard work better, and not always to the same three people, it would encourage more developers to go the extra mile.
    Move to the city.

Awesome company, great upside, true to offer.

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I get off the train each day and want to run into the office. I love working at VMTurbo. Our office is fast-paced and dynamic. The atmosphere is intense, highly spirited, and fun. Everything listed in the job offer has been true to the experience I have had thus far.

Cons

Don't apply or accept an offer from VMTurbo if you are not ready to work incredibly hard each and every day. If long hours and constant learning/professional development are not your thing, consider other options.

Take on fewer Business Development Representatives each month and invest more in the recruits that are hired.

LOVE my job

Current Employee - Business Development Representative
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work environment is awesome and the company's training program. VM Turbo is a great company to begin a career in Technology Sales, and has amazing growth potential. It's growing RAPIDLY, yet maintains full stability. The market is virtually untouched because of the company's philosophical approach to solving issues in the virtual environments of its customers.

Cons

The work days are a bit longer than typical, but the perks of even the most entry level positions at the company offset the extra time.

Do not work at Vmturbo

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at VMTurbo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You might get promoted but only if you put in at LEAST 60 hours a week.

Cons

If my friend was considering a job at VMTurbo and they asked for my advice, I would tell them to keep looking. Most of the BDRs are unhappy with the environment and the word is getting out.

I wouldn't make it so apparent that you're looking to hire recent grads for cheap labor to make you money.

It's a Great Time to be a VMTurbo Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valhalla, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valhalla, NY

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The engineering team is still small enough that everybody has the chance to stand out, and everyone's work is high-impact. If you're looking for a job where you can ride the coattails of your coworkers and just put in the 9-5, this isn't the place for you. But if you know what you're doing and you are excited about working on bleeding edge technologies that have a strong chance of shaking up an industry, then this is exactly where you want to be.

The engineering office has standard IT company perks (casual dress code, ping pong table, couches and bean bag chairs, the World Cup playing on a big screen TV, all-you-can-eat snacks, soda, juices, fruit, and coffee, etc). Working from home on occasion is permitted so long as you don't abuse the privilege.

You also have the opportunity to do More. Want to advance your career? Ask for more responsibility and demonstrate that you're capable. Want to earn some extra cash on the side? We've got a list of ideas sitting around, just waiting for someone to pick up the project and make it a reality.

Engineering has a very low turnover, so job security is not a problem. In the two years I've been here, I can only think of 2-3 people that have actually quit (compared to hiring ~20 in the same time frame). The company culture is great, and for the most part everyone enjoys working with everyone else, and people actually LIKE coming to work every day.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like we're trying to grow too fast and do too much, and hiring in engineering doesn't always keep up with what the company roadmap has in store. But at the same time, that just creates more opportunities for people to stand out, and when you stand out, your work is noticed and appreciated.

When we're close to a release date, it's generally all-hands-on-deck until the product is ready to ship, but can that really be considered a Con if that's extremely common across the entire software industry?

Keep up with the transparency. It's cool having all of this information available to us.

Not work when you love it!

Current Employee - Recruiting in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Boston, MA

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Supportive and positive team environment to come into each day
    -The opportunity to create your career is at your fingertips
    -A youthful and fun atmosphere
    -Feeling a part of the exponential growth!

Cons

-A steep learning curve (driven and competitive individuals have high success - rise to the challenge!)

Evening out the reviews

I worked at VMTurbo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The 5 star reviews are more than a little inflated, on its best day this place is a 4 but usually it's 2-3 stars. I put one to even out the average.
    1) Good place to build new sales and technology skills with little or no experience
    2) Fun atmosphere of people
    3) Dedicated staff through and through

Cons

Overall the real problem is over-inflated expectations by Bain Capital on the success of the company. Yes it's a superior product, but it takes a while to educate someone of that fact and the product is within a small & saturated segment of the IT stack. This company will be successful, but it's not the next VMware or even Nicira. You'll be working very hard for a low to medium reward:

1) Long Hours
    2) Low pay / compensation plan
    3) Talk of the company exploding and growing like it's just around the corner, but the company grows at a decent rate in Q4 & Q1, then downsizes in Q2 and Q3
    4) Useless and annoying performance metrics
    5) Tons of time educating and chasing potential customers; 70% of your time is spent calling people that don't pick up, huge drain on your time
    6) Way more "pull" tactics when it comes to selling; most people don't want to research the cheaper option when they can afford the more expensive one (even if the cheaper one could turn out to be better)

Quit hyping dials, the customer market for this product isn't big enough for mass colds calls and it ends up alienating potential customers. Get callers to chase the sun and only call during peak hours in each time zone. Focus more on the strategies that actually get people interested vs hoping they will pick up.

One of the best sales jobs in technology...

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at VMTurbo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've only been at VMTurbo for a few months but I've spent the last 7 years in technology sales selling everything from Storage to Security. I've worked for established regional players to nationally recognized brands and I have to say this is the most excited I've been to get out of bed in the morning in my entire career. The company is truly electric, the leadership is top notch, and most importantly is the product. This is the first time in 7 years I've been able to make a call to a customer who recently bought an alleged "competitor" and they are still willing to take the call and see a demo. The reason is because the product here fills all the holes in this market space and solves the main problem customers are originally trying to solve when they invest in our "competitors". Very rarely is there an opportunity to be at the ground floor of such a powerful technology, but it's the reason I made the jump to VMTurbo.

Cons

It's hard work. Like any sales job, or any job for that matter, you get out what you put in. If you are looking for a 9-5 job and to be home in time for Seinfeld re-runs, this isn't the job for you and quite honestly, I don't know if technology sales in general is right for you. If you want to do well in any tech sales job, you have to put in the time, the good side here is that everyone is doing it and you are part of building something very special. Its not about drinking the KoolAid, its about wanting to succeed, and wanting the people next to you succeed, which isn't something you find at a lot of sales jobs these days.

Keep doing what you're doing. The company is growing exponentially and from a product stand point we are delivering on the promises we are making from a sales side, which again, is not something you find a lot of in tech sales.

Be very careful taking a job here.

I worked at VMTurbo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome product, salary, compensation from closing big deals. You will cut your teeth in cutthroat sales here.

Cons

Cold calling, very little training, sink or swim environment, Micro-management, Work-life balance, company values, managers that belittle subordinates.

The reality is that this place is a sweat-shop. It is a Bain Investment company, where the model is to recruit young sales professionals, work them to the bone and spit them out. Repeat that as the quarters go on. Your job will be on the line every month, starting from day one.

Pretty interesting seeing 20+ 5 star reviews posted all at the same time on Glassdoor. The 5 star reviews you see posted are not honest reviews and were most likely an assignment handed down from management.

Potentially the worst organisation ever

Former Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA

I worked at VMTurbo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great salary, "Enterprise solution", Young team

Cons

CEO is high maintenance and constantly belittles his staff. Very much an old boys club management team who are only interested in selling the company for a vast profit.

No care taken to ensure staff are happy or being trained / utilized to the best of their ability.

Product isn't strong enough but there is no desire to improve the platform.

Not able to be sold in any market other than those with over 1000 servers in an environment - they have to be virtual.

Suck it up, realize you are not gods walking the earth... oh and don't fall asleep in meetings with companies who have actually decided to invest in the technology.