VMware

3.7
1,369 Reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before (in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge (in 56 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers) (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience and environment

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX

Pros

Working at a leading technology company that is always innovating is a great motivator. Being an R&D Engineering recruiter allows me to see multiple different product teams across our business units and continually work on challenging positions. I get to compare our compensation information to other top tech firms in the Bay are know we are competitive. Culture is a big part of this and VMware's culture is EPICC (Execution, Passion, Integrity, Customers, Community) and from my experience the willingness to help others is a common trait. I have not run into many folks with over inflated egos. Work environment is good and we frequently have happy hour events where people from different teams get together.

Cons

I have been here for over 3 years now and there are little cons to discuss. We have challenges in many different areas like any company whether large, medium, or small. I can only speak to my experience though.

Hired me, then laid me off in 11 days due to budgetary cuts.

Former Employee - Process Optimization Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Process Optimization Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

Able to work remotely, friendly co-workers, flexible hours, willingness to listen to new ideas, "green" culture, free snacks, breakfast, and food.

Cons

IT infrastructure is poorly developed, service tickets take a long time to complete, lack of cross-departmental engagement and transparency.

Don't hire someone for a job before your budget is approved.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Great work culture and people. VMware really cares about it's people and wants its people to enjoy work while succeeding in their career. They promote family and work-life balance as well as amazing benefits. There is a lot of training available and a lot of career paths to move towards

Cons

It is hard to advance in your career unless you network a LOT. That seems to be with most corporate jobs but definitely it isn't always about who is most qualified. You also have to find your own career path, management does not do a good job helping their underlings in career development.

It is better to take the best of various business models and create a successful business plan vs modeling the company after another local company that hasn't done that well over the past 6 years.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic

Current Employee - Inside Sales Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Intern in Austin, TX

Pros

Great Culture, great atmosphere, great pay.

Cons

none thus far, everything has been great

Great company, product and C-Level Leadership...sales leadership is out of touch.

Current Employee - Inside Account Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Account Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Great benefits, vacation time, free snacks, free breakfast on Fridays

Cons

Sales leadership is out of touch with employees. Low Morale. Unattainable quotas with quarterly account and territory churn.

Listen to your customers, employees and partners. Stop treating customers and employees as interchangeable parts and numbers.

Dynamic, Collaborative Place to Work!

Current Employee - Director  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX

Pros

Smart employees, flexibility and strong values!

VMware is a organized chaos at it's best. Opinions matter, work matters, delivering matters. Preconceived ways of getting things done doesn't happen here, honestly it's refreshing.

Cons

We're growing so quickly it can be too dynamic for some. I love it.

The clear priorities have really helped - SDDC, EUC, Hybrid Cloud

Lots of work but a great environment.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

The people are excellent and the culture is extremely important to the folks working at VMware. Unlimited vacation. Great benefits, 401k plan, health, dental, food/drinks at the campus.

Cons

Job advancement is tough due to a lack of focus on development.

What a shame

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Incredible software solution that can and will transform the IT industry. And Palo Alto apparently. The culture in Austin is bad.

Cons

Micro-management at its finest. It is and will drive all talent to other options. The inside sales organization has been transformed from a demand generating business unit into nothing more than a call center. Austin management team is clueless and clearly in a self preservation mode to justify their existence. Sales is pulled in so many different directions even the best and smartest are failing. This no longer for true sales people. It may be a great job for people that enjoy spinning 100s of plates and herding 100s of cats...

Hire middle management that have actually held a sales role. The ability to email spread sheets and metrics is not working

I love my job and the people I work with.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

VMware creates bleeding edge solutions, so being a Systems Engineer here is the right job to have if you have a strong desire to learn. The San Clemente office has great views of Lake Austin. There's free snack food & drinks. On Friday mornings we get breakfast tacos. On Friday afternoons we get Plucker's wings & beer. We have a very positive and supportive culture.

Cons

360 traffic is always frustrating. Like most big corporations, communication can be lacking between departments. The sheer volume of information you need to keep up with is staggering.

Quarterly inter-departmental updates on what people are working on.

Not a good place for TRUE Sales Reps.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Great Benefits, Stock Plans, Insurance.
    Great customer base and name brand.

Cons

Pay is confusing and inconsistent. You rely HEAVILY on your Outside Account Executives to hit their number in order to get paid. Outside Rep not performing well = little commission. There's also a ton of turnover here which leads reps to have to move around every 3-6 months and never get settled into a territory.

Change the way reps get paid. Good reps have been leaving left and right because the value that they bring to the company has little to no affect on their pay.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!