VMware

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.4 1,259 reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before(in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace(in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to take ownership of your own work/life balance(in 55 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers)(in 65 reviews)

1,259 Employee Reviews

Nice workplace

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsVery nice working environment. Absolutely beautiful campus!

ConsA typical place of politics. Need to play between getting your job done and entertaining your bosses.

Fantastic company with vision and great technology.

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat company culture of giving back to the community. Top executives are smart and there is lots of opportunity for company growth.

ConsLack of process--operates like a start up. Lack of a presence solution makes collaboration a challenge--heavy email culture, death by power point and unnecessary conference calls. Work load is insane, resulting in churn and burn.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage mid managers to mentor and develop employees and be true to the culture and values.

A good company to work at the beginning of a career

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsSome extremely talented and hard-working people, you can learn a lot from them. Very nice work and life balance - unlimited vacation. Opportunities to explore different aspects of the company products and cutting edge technologies. Good total compensation package - may not be as good as other big names but still very good. Office is on the beautiful hill of Palo Alto. Much better commute experience through 280 over 101.

ConsCareer growth is questionable given such a large company. Some middle managers coming from other big companies tend to hire people they knew from their past companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some exceptional and visionary middle managers. They can make correct move of the products as well as promote good work of the employees.

VMware Social Community Manager, Employment Brand responded to this review

Jul 9, 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about working at VMware. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying several of our workplace perks such as flexible vacation time and working on cutting-edge ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat work culture and people. VMware really cares about it's people and wants its people to enjoy work while succeeding in their career. They promote family and work-life balance as well as amazing benefits. There is a lot of training available and a lot of career paths to move towards

ConsIt is hard to advance in your career unless you network a LOT. That seems to be with most corporate jobs but definitely it isn't always about who is most qualified. You also have to find your own career path, management does not do a good job helping their underlings in career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is better to take the best of various business models and create a successful business plan vs modeling the company after another local company that hasn't done that well over the past 6 years.

Human Resources

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat team and work/life balance! Competitive compensation.

ConsNone! It's a great company to work for.

Objective and Positive Review

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros1) Co-workers are all "A" players. The majority are driven, intelligent, proactive and extremely helpful. I have never once called someone (even out of the blue that may have never worked with me) and been made to feel as if I was a burden for reaching out. There is a culture of teamwork and "customer first". Everyone that I have interacted with appears aggressively on board with that. That makes my life a lot easier. I have been in other positions where people protected their knowledge and operated almost like a mini-fiefdom, possibly for fear of job security. Not here
    2) Senior leadership (thankfully) recognized long ago that vSphere cannot be the only core solution. Frankly, it is so widely adopted that it is only natural there would be declining new adoption.... simply because the market was saturated. In addition to core vSphere, our on-prem / off-prem cloud solutions and End User Compute portfolio is second to none and it will ensure that our position in the market remains dominant for years.
    3) Resources are plentiful. Initial on-boarding is absolutely fantastic and they provide cutting edge technology for new employees (ex. Powerful MacBooks, information resources, guides, etc).
    4) I work remotely, but I have been to their campuses and they are fully stocked with healthy options. There are also down time things like pinball machines, ping pong tables, quiet areas, etc. The main campus is unbelievable, and with pretty much any amenity you could ask for. I would consider relocating cross country just for the Palo Alto campus alone lol.
    5) Many companies talk about work/life balance, but VMware practices it. I am never pressured into situations that could negatively impact my personal quality of life. That said, there is work to be done. So as long as you can professionally manage your workload you will be given plenty of latitude to do what's best for your family and non-work life.
    6) This may not be the case for all, but my direct 1st and 2nd level management is the best I have EVER worked for. I get tremendous support to attack my work without unnecessary levels of micro management. On many occasions, they have made it clear to me that they are there to help me in any way they can.
    7) Considering I am a remote employee, I require an expense account. I do not have to deal with unnecessary levels of inspection. This isn't to say that there is free reign, but if I need to expense something to do my job it is rarely questioned. Just like any company though, we have a responsibility to the company/shareholders to be frugal when possible..... however I greatly appreciate not having to waste time pouring over every expense at length and providing extensive justification.
    8) There is literally an endless amount of content internally. It could be considered a con to some, as it would be impossible to consume it all. That said, there is always a resource to be drawn from if you need it.
    9) Working from home is awesome and greatly lends itself back to a nice work/life balance. There will frequently be times I need to hit my email / do prep and research after the typical 8 - 5. The trade off is that I can dictate my schedule and fit things in during the day I might have not been otherwise able to working from an office.
    10) Compensation and benefits are fantastic. PERIOD...END OF STORY.

Tips for those considering employment here:

1) You may be the best VMware guru around in your current employment. Once you get here, be prepared to check any ego at the door. The people here are rock stars with our solutions. The sooner you do that the better. Just be prepared to take in all the information you can possibly process to make yourself a better resource.
    2) Do not accept a job here if you aren't prepared to give 100%. As great as the resources and perks are, there are also big expectations from management. This is not the kind of job where you can "coast" in any sense of the word. It is part of what makes working with these people great.
    3) Take a deep breath, it may take months before you feel comfortable. You will feel like the dumbest person in the room for awhile.... don't let that discourage you.

Cons1) The sheer volume of information that you may have to take in can be intimidating for some. We aren't just a vSphere shop, there are several dozen solutions and (at least in my role) you may be required to speak intelligently on all of them. This is both from a technical perspective and also from a strategic business perspective.
    2) If you let it, you can consume every waking moment with work here. It is your responsibility to find the balance. Your management will back you on this as long as you are producing.
    3) Just like any sales-driven company, there is intense pressure to meet quotas. This can also be intimidating for some.
    4) This company has thousands of people. As a result, networking is every bit as important as being a technical beast or exceeding your quota. Some people may find this difficult as it relates to job advancement. If you want to move up, you need to blend excellent job performance with excellent internal networking skills.
    5) VMware changes rapidly internally. If you aren't adaptable, you may find the frequent changes frustrating. There is very much a "start up" type mentality here, despite the large head count (15,000+).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the culture, it is awesome. I am proud to work here.

good company

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Prosgood company. fine people. nice building

Conshard to move up. too much elderly senior managment

Advice to Senior Managementnone at his point

good co

Pros+ competitive pay
    + location rocks
    + good spot if you are into IT infrastructure

Cons+ big company
    + big company
    + big company

Specialist

Specialist (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat company to work for. Innovative, great work/life balance, and awesome campus.

ConsGrowing fast and sometimes outpaces processes to keep it efficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire diversity.

Best company I've ever worked for...

Partner Team (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat technology, products, market leader. I worked here during the Diane Greene and Paul Maritz eras, and Diane put VMware on the map, and Paul took it to a whole new level. Great leadership at that time. Compensation was good, same with stock options and benefits. They took care of their people. It was a privilege to work there during their hyper-growth phase.

ConsAs with any fast growing company, it was a bit chaotic at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the innovation to always stay several steps ahead of the competition.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!