VMware

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.4 1,262 reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before(in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace(in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge(in 56 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers)(in 65 reviews)

1,262 Employee Reviews

Very little career growth if you are remote

ProsSmart and passionate people around. Flexible schedules and good time off policy. Training is great if you are Palo Alto based; non existent otherwise.

ConsZero career growth for remote technical folks or if you happen to be in the wrong group(s). Very poor equity and bonus distribution. If you have been there for a long time, delta in the compensation of very small compared to newer hires, even at the same grade level.

Virtual Sales Rep

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat product and product vision

Conscompensation and internal processes are a disaster

Politics, politics, politics AND NO work life balance

ProsVMware HQ is INCREDIBLE
    Fantastic benefits
    Stock Rocks
    Products do what they are supposed to do

ConsNEVER ANY downtime
    It's all about VMware and there is never any consideration given to the employee
    Sales management is horrible. . .no value selling, just discount by 85% to get it in the door
    Politics are rampant and you better LOVE EMC or be from there (or, just say you love spinning disks)

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't cry in front of everyone and state it is up to you to fix "work life balance". Be a leader and force sales management to ensure work life balance CAN happen so the employees are not victimized for taking a vacation. Stop bring people over from EMC. Yes, EMC may own the company but there is a reason why the culture is horrible there. Stay there. You have now corrupted the culture of VMware.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work place

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat/smart colleagues
    Nice environment
    Flexible working time

ConsBig company / no surprises

One of the best software platform companies created

Director, Corporate Business Development (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsIn its earlier days, only top intellectual talent. A players hiring A players.

ConsFast revenue was not met with fast growth in internal processes. Less so the case after 2008.

Nice place to work with great people, awesome campus

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsIt's pretty easy to learn how to get up and running here quickly. I enjoy the work atmosphere and that there can be flexibility with schedule, etc. I've worked with a few different teams and had positive experiences with them all. High degree of professionalism.

ConsNot always the easiest to grow within the company depending on your position.

Excellent technology, great place to work

Sales Operation (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe employee benefits are excellent and plentiful.

ConsIt doesn't appear that internal opportunities and advancement are flexible for current employees.

the culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosleadership, culture, work, work life balance, benefits

Consdistance from my house, some managers, buliding set up, perks, some leadership

Advice to Senior Managementmore promotions within the company

Dynamic, Collaborative Place to Work!

Director (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSmart employees, flexibility and strong values!

VMware is a organized chaos at it's best. Opinions matter, work matters, delivering matters. Preconceived ways of getting things done doesn't happen here, honestly it's refreshing.

ConsWe're growing so quickly it can be too dynamic for some. I love it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe clear priorities have really helped - SDDC, EUC, Hybrid Cloud

Phenomenal company. Brilliant people. Awesome products. All-around great culture.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsI love when companies invest in their employees and VMware is a great example of this. I had no experience in the department I was going into, but a training program was created to catch myself and several others up to speed. The managers monitored our progress and made sure all our questions were answered throughout the training. I work with a great team who not only support each other, but mentor each other in order to have continuous growth.

ConsAlthough the managers promote growth and development, it is more directed to the permanent employees than the contractors. I've noticed favoritism and politics which is frustrating. Those who are favored get ahead and are recognized, while those who have the potential and the drive, are ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the contractors - invest in their growth and development even when training has been completed. End favoritism. What's the point? Employees will notice and it will cause a separation within the department.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!