VMware

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.4 1,260 reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before(in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace(in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to take ownership of your own work/life balance(in 55 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers)(in 65 reviews)

1,260 Employee Reviews

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsColleagues/peers are great - friendly and knowledgeable. Product Development and Product Marketing colleagues are smart and strategic.

ConsNew management - promoted from within are very poor at managing people and are VERY unprofessional. I saw people "chewed' out in front of other colleagues. No training for new employees and contractors. Very high pressure environment with very little support from anyone except your colleagues.

Internal managers in partner enablement and other departments think they know about partner management and sales but they do not. "White tower" mentality here and it is hurting VMware.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. You are coming late to the party with your Cloud solution. Listen to your partners and the Field before it is too late. Get rid of some of your New middle managers and old management that DO NOT CARE about people. People are leaving VMware in droves and not just because they want to work at a startup! Act now and LEAD and remove the dead weight managers!!

Good place to work if you are only expecting to stay one year

ProsThere are "perks" such as free snacks and Friday afternoon beer and food but both of these have began to dwindle down and seem to be going away soon. The snacks selection is smaller and the Friday afternoon session has been moved from 2:00pm to 4:00pm which doesn't give you much time to eat or have a beer if you are leaving to try and beat traffic.

ConsThe space is limited. The entire sales force is confined to one floor of a 5 story building and therefore everyone is stacked 3 people to a cube. There is literally someone right next to you. I mean you sometimes will bump chairs they are so close to you. Also, the only department here in town is inside sales so there is not much room for growth in your career. All the good positions are in Palo Alto where VMware was founded and the main office is. The environment in Palo Alto is awesome and super high tech but the Austin office is just a call center with cubes everywhere. Also the management is very difficult and only manages through metrics so if you don't like being micro managed then you will not like it here. Since it is such a tough environment, there are few people who have been here longer than a year. The turnover is worse than any job I have seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementModel yourselves and your management style like that of the Palo Alto office. I have read many positive reviews on here of the work environment in Palo Alto but have yet to read a positive one about the Austin office. Instead of managing just by metrics, add more weekly trainings and really try to improve your salesforce. Bring back the culture that was here when the office was first opened where employees feel free to express their opinion and where people loved to come to work each day. If you were to poll the employees and get their true opinion, you will see that almost everyone here hates their job.

Adapted to changing role thanks to committed team and collaborative efforts.

Interaction Designer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsCutting edge technology, international company, far reaching impact, great learning opportunity,

Conswidespread inefficiencies and willingness to misuse and not invest in contingent staffing contributions.

Advice to Senior Managementgive contractors credit, opportunity to join staff

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good place to work

Services Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLots of opportunity to grow

ConsWork life balance is off

Advice to Senior ManagementPrioritize employee satisfaction

Who Moved my vCheese?

(Current Employee) Coppell, TX

ProsInteresting and innovative projects. Great compensation, nice bonuses and stock for top performers. Good work environment with competent managers, at least in the vCHS Ops organization. Provided with most tools necessary to complete your projects. Not afraid to throw non-performers by the wayside. Decent career advancement opportunities.

ConsApplies to Coppell office only. Geek life problems: work-life balance is a joke, kitchen no longer fully stocked, cheap watered down beer at the bi-weekly beer bashes. Professional issues: some groups actively sabotage each other. Blog and/or high number of Twitter followers can compensate for lack of education/experience/skills/work ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter beer, healthier snacks. Don't believe the hype.

VMware Social Recruiting Community Manager responded to this review

May 23, 2014

Thank you for your candid feedback. We take feedback to heart and will share this with groups internally. As for the break rooms, we will ensure they are fully stocked and the social bashes are cared ... More

A good learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are great, culture is very casual reminiscent of dot.com startups. Company overall is a good company.

ConsDon't forget that one single department doesn't represent the whole company. Invest in the growth of your employees within the company vs. losing them to external competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that the company culture is consistent throughout all your offices

Layering complexity upon complexity

Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsVMware has a fantastic campus and interesting technical vision - great pay and benefits.

ConsThe company often has schizophrenic changes of direction, incessant feature moving and repacking to the products which causes customer frustration and confusion, selling too many futures and not enough of the 1.0 versions of buggy software and complex internal process ( with respect to understanding and serving customers )

Fantastic place for a long term career

Solutions Architect (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsAll VMware offices around the world are similar: Spotless, efficient, and with heathy refreshments always available. The Management team in my department were fantastic. Expect to work hard and be rewarded and recognized for your accomplishments. While I was hired directly into VMware, I worked with a number of people coming in from acquisitions. Those coming onboard through the M&A process can expect a few process bumps, but you will be part of the VMware family on day one. Best path to success for anyone at this company is to be fluid and flexible - never a dull moment at VMware.

ConsThere aren't many. The few issues I ran into are common across all moderately sized companies going through rapid growth and M&A activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Never settle for anything less than the best engineering talent. With so much M&A, give as much attention, focus, and love to better integration of the entire product stack.

Great experience, good people

Director Alliance Marketing (Former Employee) Concord, NH

ProsLeading edge technology, great people, great product, good overall experience, and in most cases very respectful of the work life balance.

ConsVery demanding. They also tend to hire out for senior positions instead of hiring from within. It's very difficult to get things done when you are not sitting at the corporate office.

Great Culture, Great Technology, Great People.

ProsThis is an amazing company with an awesome culture. The technology is amazing and the people are so smart and customer focused.

ConsBetter Corporate communications would be appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Corporate communications would be appreciated.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!