VMware

3.7
1,367 Reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before (in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge (in 56 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers) (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved working at VMware!

Former Employee - Senor Technical Writer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senor Technical Writer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Great technology, community oriented, great to employees, good working environment

Cons

Buying start-ups and realizing they don't fit in the overall future of the company

MTS

Pros

good perks
    nice colleagues
    top technology focused company

Cons

Mid management is useless
    same office politics as usual

Great people, good employee experience, great products and strategy.

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

There are really smart and competent people at VMware. Employee experience in the Palo Alto campus is great with food, fitness center, concerts, celebrity visits, TED talks like speaker series, and events.

Cons

You run into people who lack professionalism more so than what I experienced at my previous company.

Need to do a better job at identifying top talents and retaining them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a great ride!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Opened a lot of doors. Fast-paced, dynamic organization when I worked there (2008-2012). Many perks to retain talent.

Cons

Some unqualified people were promoted to upper management. Most of that have been removed now.

Career growth

Great Place to work..

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Flexible, not micro managed, results driven culture.
    Unlimited Vacation
    Family First
    3 most innovative company

Cons

Haven't found any yet, great company.

The only constant is change, so embrace it and own it. Over communicate...

Great company, still growing

Pros

Fast paced, cutting edge development in an explosive field. Great talent and campus.

Cons

Many, many products; growing in many irections at once.

Focus!

Good employee benefits, but software development process is behind other industry leaders

Pros

They have really good benefits: decent medical/dental coverage, snacks and breakfasts are frequently provided, they have famous speakers come to campus, there is an onsite gym, lots of educational training opportunities, somewhat competitive salaries, etc...). The culture varies depending on the group, but many groups have healthy and encouraging cultures.

Cons

I have been surprised at the slow adoption of industry standards like agile development principals, developers doing thorough testing, and investing in developer productivity. VMware has a way to go when it comes to meeting customer needs and delivering "the right" product. Fortunately, there is strong customer loyalty that seems to make up what they lack.

Show top-down leadership skills that drive the right behaviors throughout the company.

Top Notch

Former Employee - Senior Director Sales  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director Sales in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Fantastic company that rewards innovation and applauds extraordinary effort. If you are a bit more intelligent than the average bear and you're willing to work hard, then VMware is a place where you can have a big impact

Cons

There were really no downsides to wiring at VMware. The employees are treated extremely well, and its a culture of over achievement.

Stay focused, but don't stop innovating. If VMware is to continue it's dominance, it must become note than just a server virtualization company.

Great experience and environment

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX

Pros

Working at a leading technology company that is always innovating is a great motivator. Being an R&D Engineering recruiter allows me to see multiple different product teams across our business units and continually work on challenging positions. I get to compare our compensation information to other top tech firms in the Bay are know we are competitive. Culture is a big part of this and VMware's culture is EPICC (Execution, Passion, Integrity, Customers, Community) and from my experience the willingness to help others is a common trait. I have not run into many folks with over inflated egos. Work environment is good and we frequently have happy hour events where people from different teams get together.

Cons

I have been here for over 3 years now and there are little cons to discuss. We have challenges in many different areas like any company whether large, medium, or small. I can only speak to my experience though.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still work here as long as I did. I would just avoid any contact with HR.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

Pros

Super smart people in all organizations. Really good products.

Great benefits.

Good training, but needs to scale to be as powerful as an organization of our current size.

Cons

If you don't work out of the Palo Alto campus, you won't get all the great perks like free concerts and beer bashes.

Too many upper management/executive hires in the past few years have turned this into EMC, which is detrimental innovation and independence.

If you have to work directly with HR, I have found that without exception, they are the most horrible, uncaring people on the planet. In hiring, onboarding, and other employment tasks, they have offered no value, hindering the process and making it a terrible experience for the employee and manager. I don't know how true that is for other large companies.

Beef up training, especially on the technical side. Too many people have to fight for too few hands-on classes, among others.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!