VMware

3.6
1,497 Reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • UK organisation trying hard on soft management areas such as work life balance (in 103 reviews)

• Great technology and this company definitely adds credibility to your resume (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is determined by your manager (mine was a known workaholic) (in 67 reviews)

• The company once slim and trim has grown many folds; bloating the middle management (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Constantly evolving, sometimes frustrating, but ultimately awesome

Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about VMware in my opinion is that they are willing to invest in their employees. Rather than force you to hop jobs as is done so frequently in the Valley, VMware is much more willing to promote from within. There is a strong base of VMware "lifers" who are the pillars of the internal management team, and there is mentorship and success to be had if you have the right attitude. Work/life balance is excellent.

Cons

VMware has had a little too much "evolving" going on lately. Large scale and poorly planned shakeups have left some disillusioned or feeling rudderless. While this is hopefully all behind us, having seen major reorganizations happen several times in my tenure I do worry that it may continue.

Do your best to maintain consistent communication with your employees. When major changes are made, double down on efforts to communicate them out to the organization and push your line managers to do the same. Messaging is everything in a company this big.

Best experience in my career

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Joined VMware after more than 20 years' of experience at a number of companies. Having worked elsewhere, the HR Happy Song here at VMware sounded familiar--how employees were our greatest resource etc.

. . . except here @ VMW they really seem to mean it. The transparency and level of communication from senior management is amazing.

Cons

Advancement can be limited if not located in Palo Alto. Can have a short-term numbers focus at the expense of long-term success. Can be bipolar with budgets--a lot of emergency cost-cutting, countered with bouts of "hurry up and spend."

Accept more variability in the business cycle--laying off good people because of how one quarter's numbers might look not the best course.

In general, VMware rocks. I am proud to say I work for this company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Fully-stocked break room full of free drinks and snacks. Bagel/breakfast taco Wednesday is awesome.
    * Smart group of techies that are able to solve almost any challenge with ease.
    * Management sees the work done and actively gives "attaboys".
    * Communication through any customer issues are done to the entire org, which is nice.
    * We all work as a team for a common goal - success to the customer.
    * We offer products to better our customers worlds, as well as our own.
    * Direct access to VMware developers can help make VMware customers have an optimal experience with the code before it hits "GA" status. We are our own beta testers of service provider code.
    * Again, we all believe in the common goal. For ourselves and our customers.

Cons

* New solutions come through the pipe so quick that sometimes issues happen during deployment to production environments. This impacts customers. See "Advice to Management".

* Slow down. We can't save the world on a daily basis. Take the time to properly develop solutions so customers have an optimal experience.

Great place to work

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance, great technologies

Cons

stock benefits are not much

MTS Intern

I worked at VMware

Pros

Great place to work and having fun

Cons

I didnt find many cons though

Passionate people are everywhere at VMware

Current Employee - Senior Director Global Marketing in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director Global Marketing in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the epi-center of the IT industry, with passionate leaders and passionate people working globally. An exciting place to build a career.

Cons

There are growing pains with a company that is growing this quickly and of this size, but for the adventurous this is only an operational pain. The excitement at the company overcomes any operational headaches.

Continue to exude passion and excitement and the leadership that says we are a company that can change the world. Consolidate the teams and continue to always ensure the customers and partners have a great experience with VMware.

Overall, a great company with innovative products. However certain departments are understaffed and overworked.

Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at VMware full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, and great overall culture. Ongoing training and career advancement opportunities. Very flexible vacation policy (with management approval). Compensation is comparable with industry standard. Very fast pace, never a dull moment.

Cons

As in most org's, there are "clique's", and if you are not savvy enough to develop those relationships, you will be overlooked regardless of your performance. Support staff was insufficient to meet demands of the business, therefore causing staff to be overworked. Sales compensation plan very difficult to understand, and changes at least twice a year.

Continue to innovate and maintain core values (EPICC). When building a sales organization, consider ALL elements of the organization. Adding additional account executives without the additional support staff is problematic and limits the ability to grow the market and scale the overall business accordingly.

Overall Great Company

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

Limited career opportunities for growth within the company

Be pen about challenges as well as successes

Great place to Work!

Former Intern - Member of Technical Staff Vmkernel in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - Member of Technical Staff Vmkernel in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Really talented people !! These guys are at the forefront of Virtualization and Cloud software. the people working here are geniuses.
    - Awesome Pay & perks
    - Fun intern events: Movies, Angel Island trip, sports, food bazaars, Concerts, Hollywood guys come around here to chat (entire cast of old star trek was here !!), Beer bashes !

Cons

- Can be sometimes too much work as they expect only the top bunch to work

Employed at VMware for 9+ years

Current Employee - Senior Manager Sales Enablement in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Sales Enablement in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation, smart people, stable work environment, beautiful campus

Cons

Frequent corporate restructuring to realign human capital with new products

Look for ways to re-purpose existing employees into new job roles