VMware

3.6
1,411 Reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • UK organisation trying hard on soft management areas such as work life balance (in 103 reviews)

• Great technology and this company definitely adds credibility to your resume (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is determined by your manager (mine was a known workaholic) (in 67 reviews)

• The company once slim and trim has grown many folds; bloating the middle management (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Love being here!

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good people to work with and work for, good product, good campus (best I've ever worked at), good attitudes. Management keeps their eyes on what the market needs -- and doesn't need.

Cons

Only, only, only complaint is the traffic on 85 and 280, especially in the evening commute. Surface streets sometimes better. That does affect the work-life balance some, as it induces people not to leave until 7PM.

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love working for the company. Great prople.

Cons

I really have no complaints besides as any other consultant role there is 70% travel required.

Love working here! Great people great company

The best company in the Valley... though it's changing

Current Employee - Director in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great campus, fun corporate culture. Great people

Cons

No longer a start-up and high growth no longer hides sins

Keep focusing on culture

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

time-off policies
    great campus
    good food in the caffeteria

Cons

too many mid-level managers
    half-hearted implementation of agile development practices
    inexperienced management
    career advancement a bit unclear

well-mannered; sober management

Current Employee - Mergers & Acquisitions, Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Mergers & Acquisitions, Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

resources given employees at very good

Cons

my visibility to company goals is limited

shake the employees up a bit - get out of the VMW comfort zone. GO CRAZY!

Fantastic work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

As a contractor, this company offered great work environment in a beautiful campus in Palo Alto with top-notch free snack bars and soft-drinks. Most co-workers are great professionals to work with. There's a lot of opportunities for employees to learn and advance. The environment is also conducive to better work-life balance with all the facilities to accommodate it - you can even bring your well-behaving dogs to work. Many employees take advantage of Work From Home system via VPN. This is great for those who needs to be home but want to work.

Cons

This company seems to be politically unstable at the top. It could use a stronger leadership in the management perhaps.

Keep up the great work.

Smart people, some interesting work, not all of which are well organized, directed, and focussed

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work in some groups is pretty leading edge. Lots of smart people. Flexibility on work hours and working from home. Pleasant physical work environment.

Cons

Work in some groups is not so leading edge. Lots of hard-to-evolve software lying around. Development and introduction of tools to help developers get their jobs done has stagnated somewhat. Sometimes developers with not such terrific skills make choices that should have been (but weren't) made under the supervision or review of developers with better skills.

Market share has gone to their head

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generous salary, good cross section for people with diverse skills, tremendous client install base.

Cons

No on-boarding, little training, HR is completely absent. Product is a commodity and new offerings are not a robust as advertised. Management appears to scared of EMC, AWS and the market in general. California dreaming has taken it toll, company is not driven to succeed and if you are miss aligned you can find yourself on the outside looking in.

Take a deep breath, get your plan together. Don't just say what your going to do... actually do it... e.g. five programs unveiled in Q2... not a single one was a real goal...

Know what your getting into

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I worked at VMware full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a Friday bash where they cater in food from local eateries, They provide free drinks and snacks, casual atmosphere (wear shorts and flip flops). They have some great employees. This could be an awesome place to work with a few needed improvements. They will train you on esxi / vsphere and you could gain needed skills. They encourage you to give to charities and will give you time to volunteer. Nice office environment it wasn't a bad atmosphere to work in.

Cons

It's a Call Center, supervisors / managers don't really care about your success, sink or swim, high turnover, If a customer doesn't like your answer they can D-Sat you for any reason valid or not. We were told not to ask the escalation engineers for assistance since they were too busy. We were told to ask our peers or google if we needed assistance. I knew as much or more than my peers so this was no help. The techs that had been there awhile are on the phone so they cant help. This leaves you hanging on the phone with no way to help the customer. You have to get an exception from a manager to leave for more than 5 minutes to use the restroom during your call queue. We supported non VMware equipment and was told to figure it out. If the issue was a blue coat proxy misconfiguration we had to figure out how to configure it on the fly whether you had experience with the product or not. You have to sign non-solicit agreement which goes 1 year after you leave VMware which may inhibit your ability to find other employment.

Leadership needs to have people dedicated to assisting their call center engineers when they get stuck, instead of leaving then to hang out to dry with no assistance on the phone. With an escalation engineers assistance the techs can learn more and be an asset down the line. I believe this is why you have a high turnover. Filling out the form for an escalation where they can deny you for any reason is not assistance. If you advertising a team environment make sure that is followed throughout the company. This was not a team environment.

Good not Great

Former Employee - Curriculum Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Curriculum Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I found the salary and benefits to be very good at VMware. Over the years the bonuses were good and I usually received raises on schedule. There are some very intelligent people that work at VMware and make for great co-workers. VMware has some really amazing technology and the products are fun to with.

Cons

My advice to anyone who takes a role at VMware is to make sure you're happy doing that job for a long time because advancement opportunities are limited. The most frequent complaint I heard at VMware was lack of opportunity to grow in one's career. That was true of me as well and the single biggest issue I pointed out on our yearly surveys. For whatever reason, the company usually fills open positions from the outside in most cases. While I realize this can help bring talent in, talented people on the inside of the company are often overlooked.

Increase the opportunities for advancement for the people that work within the organization before you look to bring in outside hires. You are losing talented people because they feel as if their careers are stagnated. I want to stress this is not sour grapes, I rated the company pretty high, 4 out of 5, because I think it's one of the better places I've worked for, but after time and again being turned down for internal positions, I felt I need to leave to grow my career.
    From people I've talked with who have also left, they have very similar feelings about the company. An investment in your people would really boost morale and pay huge dividends in the future.

VMware Response

Nov 20, 2014Senior Director, Global Talent Development

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I agree we have a fantastic opportunity as a company and we do recognize that people are our most important asset.

We have been working very hard
    ... More