VMware

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.4 1,260 reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before(in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace(in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge(in 56 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers)(in 65 reviews)

1,260 Employee Reviews

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still work here as long as I did. I would just avoid any contact with HR.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsSuper smart people in all organizations. Really good products.

Great benefits.

Good training, but needs to scale to be as powerful as an organization of our current size.

ConsIf you don't work out of the Palo Alto campus, you won't get all the great perks like free concerts and beer bashes.

Too many upper management/executive hires in the past few years have turned this into EMC, which is detrimental innovation and independence.

If you have to work directly with HR, I have found that without exception, they are the most horrible, uncaring people on the planet. In hiring, onboarding, and other employment tasks, they have offered no value, hindering the process and making it a terrible experience for the employee and manager. I don't know how true that is for other large companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeef up training, especially on the technical side. Too many people have to fight for too few hands-on classes, among others.

VMware was a great place to work!

Recruiter (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about VMware is the people. Low ego, down to Earth, smart people. People who have gotten over themselves and are interested in working together. Challenging problems - an infrastructure company like VMware is solving the problems of massively scalable services that much of computing/the web will be based on for years to come.

ConsMay not pay as much as competitors. Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge. Getting new ideas implemented takes some time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the fluff and BS bureaucracy. Keep it about the work and those who are getting done, as opposed to the people who look busy.

Great culture, fantastic company to work for, but typical large company corporate politics and BS

Senior Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Prosculture
    benefits/perks
    successful company
    don't have to work too hard
    money invested in employees and campuses

Consa lot of people can hide here and don't do anything, tons of dead wood and useless employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tech leader - diverse experiences

Director, Product Marketing (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsLearned a lot - grew tons both personally and professionally. The company brand has opened a lot of doors for me.

ConsHard to drive decisions to closure sometimes. As they got bigger, there was a question of where new innovation would come from.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more risk-taking, consider outside-in thinking and cultivate a renewed focus on innovation.

Contractor

ProsNew so far so good.

Consnothing to report at this time

A good company.

Curriculum Production Specialist (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood benefits, beautiful campus and I worked with a great group of individuals.

ConsTime-off was fine, worked from home so not fully versed on office culture, work-life balance good.

Great work and culture

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsVMware's desire to help the community around is as strong as their desire to succeed in business.

ConsRapid growth has created a lot of dysfunction in how groups are (were) organized.

Excellent workplace atmosphere creating innovative products

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat benefits, excellent workplace atmosphere and other activities

ConsWork pressure because of competition on innovative products

Advice to Senior ManagementJob skills and leadership skills should be compensated.

A good company to work at the beginning of a career

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsSome extremely talented and hard-working people, you can learn a lot from them. Very nice work and life balance - unlimited vacation. Opportunities to explore different aspects of the company products and cutting edge technologies. Good total compensation package - may not be as good as other big names but still very good. Office is on the beautiful hill of Palo Alto. Much better commute experience through 280 over 101.

ConsCareer growth is questionable given such a large company. Some middle managers coming from other big companies tend to hire people they knew from their past companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some exceptional and visionary middle managers. They can make correct move of the products as well as promote good work of the employees.

VMware Social Community Manager, Employment Brand responded to this review

Jul 9, 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about working at VMware. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying several of our workplace perks such as flexible vacation time and working on cutting-edge ... More

good place to work

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

Prosrespect on individuals, especially technical expertise.

Consgrow fast facing chanllenge from process and org.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!