VMware

3.6
1,397 Reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • UK organisation trying hard on soft management areas such as work life balance (in 103 reviews)

• Great technology and this company definitely adds credibility to your resume (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is determined by your manager (mine was a known workaholic) (in 67 reviews)

• The company once slim and trim has grown many folds; bloating the middle management (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Good not Great

Former Employee - Curriculum Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Curriculum Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I found the salary and benefits to be very good at VMware. Over the years the bonuses were good and I usually received raises on schedule. There are some very intelligent people that work at VMware and make for great co-workers. VMware has some really amazing technology and the products are fun to with.

Cons

My advice to anyone who takes a role at VMware is to make sure you're happy doing that job for a long time because advancement opportunities are limited. The most frequent complaint I heard at VMware was lack of opportunity to grow in one's career. That was true of me as well and the single biggest issue I pointed out on our yearly surveys. For whatever reason, the company usually fills open positions from the outside in most cases. While I realize this can help bring talent in, talented people on the inside of the company are often overlooked.

Increase the opportunities for advancement for the people that work within the organization before you look to bring in outside hires. You are losing talented people because they feel as if their careers are stagnated. I want to stress this is not sour grapes, I rated the company pretty high, 4 out of 5, because I think it's one of the better places I've worked for, but after time and again being turned down for internal positions, I felt I need to leave to grow my career.
    From people I've talked with who have also left, they have very similar feelings about the company. An investment in your people would really boost morale and pay huge dividends in the future.

Nov 20, 2014Senior Director, Global Talent Development

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I agree we have a fantastic opportunity as a company and we do recognize that people are our most important asset.

We have been working very hard
    ... More

Great company, for certain fields

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as a software engineering intern, so I don't have as much knowledge about full time employees. VMware is a great place for those interested in low level systems, networking, or storage. They make great products and are one of the top companies in the industry. Work-life balance is fantastic (may vary by team, however), and the pay is very good. The campus in Palo Alto is gorgeous, especially after the additional construction finished in May. Overall, if you are interested in virtualization or networking research, and like the silicon valley area, there are few better places to work. For interns, VMware is also one of the highest paying internship companies in the country.

Cons

If you are not interested in those fields, there aren't many other teams you can go to. The team I was with also had horrendous turnover (about 70% were new after one year). Specific to interns, VMware provides housing, but unless you are a PhD student you'll likely end up in the wasteland of north san jose, which is about an hour commute one-way.

Good company and work environment but old-fashioned.

I worked at VMware

Pros

1. Work Life Balance - There is no pressure to work on weekends and after hours unless there is an emergency.
    2. Good campus and work environment - The campus is really big, employees get their own space(cubicle or share an office). There are a lot of events that happen every week including a bi-weekly "bash", tech talks or celebrations of festivals/holidays.
    3. Good for people with families/kids - Halloween, Diwali, Chinese New year etc. are celebrated in grand fashion with a lot of activities for kids. Recently, a lot of musicians/bands/actors/speakers have also come to VMware and given talks/concerts.
    4. CEO - The CEO(Pat Gelsinger) is an engineer at heart and knows how to execute well.

Cons

1. Slow professional/technical growth - The company is good for a new grad or staff engineers but anywhere in between is a very slow growth process. Too many managers who were bad engineers or not engineers at all means that there is too much talking but less doing. If you're looking
    2. Experience is very team specific - The core kernel/monitor teams have amazing engineers but the new teams who focus on management solutions have some really incompetent engineers - mostly JAVA shops. A lot of teams also have a bad junior:senior engineer ratio which means code quality and engineering process is low quality.
    3. Old Fashioned - Almost everything VMware shouts old-fashioned. Engineers don't get laptops. For the new age of engineers who are used to working at off-times the lack of a laptops leads to a lack of productivity. The engineering processes are also very antiquated and resistant to change.
    4. Too many re-orgs and management changes

- Focus more on employees. You spend so much on wooing customers but don't pay enough attention to the welfare of employees.
    - Stabilize management - Too many manager shifts or leader changes leads to confusion as to the direction the company is headed.
    - Hiring - Quality vs Quantity

Fantastic work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

As a contractor, this company offered great work environment in a beautiful campus in Palo Alto with top-notch free snack bars and soft-drinks. Most co-workers are great professionals to work with. There's a lot of opportunities for employees to learn and advance. The environment is also conducive to better work-life balance with all the facilities to accommodate it - you can even bring your well-behaving dogs to work. Many employees take advantage of Work From Home system via VPN. This is great for those who needs to be home but want to work.

Cons

This company seems to be politically unstable at the top. It could use a stronger leadership in the management perhaps.

Keep up the great work.

Great company, fairly chaotic, but to be expected

Current Employee - Architect
    Current Employee - Architect

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are the best you can find
    Work-life balance is meaningful
    Remote working works - most of my team is remote and that is common, as VMware goes to the talent
    Almost everyone you meet would be highly desirable for what they do
    Total accountability and autonomy if you can handle it
    If you have an idea or see a gap that you would like to address, it becomes your responsibility. Making an impact in a company this large is uncommon, but the norm at VMware.

Cons

None that I can think of that are worth posting.

Stay the course with the strategic imperatives.

Nov 13, 2014Senior Director, Global Benefits

Thanks for sharing your feedback! Our employee well-being is a main focal point for us. We know that the work our people do is demanding and is valued. Therefore, our benefits emphasize work-life ... More

Perfect place to learn and nice people

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

open company but keep academic tradition. the code review process can really gets you through a coding guru while keeping good relationship across the team.

Cons

dealing the relationships among teams is really a pain.

Good company to work for but getting a bit too big for me

I worked at VMware

Pros

Great team and incredibly innovative products being worked on

Cons

With the size of the company and it being enterprise software -the culture is a bit slow and laid back. Good for after 35 years of age.

Pen Test engineer

Current Employee - Pen Test Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Pen Test Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance and in house training

Cons

Importance given to senior level engineers

Push up the new engineers

Good place to work with caring people but could work on the business model.

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong sense of teamwork and working together to get things done

Cons

Management sometimes can be lost in the vision...lacks a coherent strategy.

Get employees to buy into the long term strategy.

Looking back, VMware has some major problems

I worked at VMware full-time

Pros

Benefits, salary, and quality/location of offices were always top notch. Global reach and presence is well established. Certainly the kind of place someone could stay forever (if they can handled the Cons below)

Cons

In retrospect (I didn't leave specifically for any of these reasons, though perhaps I knew it even then) VMware has a very serious middle management problem. Middle management spans the whole spectrum: Manager to VP.

On the VP side, quality is inconsistent. Some are fantastic, some are bad enough to drive top talent out the door. It seems the bad ones are micromanagers that do not trust their people, and constantly meddle in the day to day decisions that should be left to their Directors and Sr Managers. In some cases these VPs even derail progress at the Manager and Individual Contributor level with their control addiction. And worse these VPs work twice as hard making sure their upper management is happy with them than making sure their own teams are well led.

At the Director level, generally these are well-seasoned operators that have truly achieved this role with their prior performance and results. Unfortunately, due to the VP issue stated above, there is a fairly unhappy relationship forming. Directors are the captains of this structure, and they should be given the trust and latitude to get things done. Rarely, with bad VPs, is this allowed. Taking risks and trying new things isn't encouraged. Directors are frustrated. They aren't given a vision to work towards, instead just a series of convoluted decisions and directions from their VP. This has negative effects downstream.

At the Senior Manager/Manager level, the sergeants of the organization are in crisis. They see the conflict between their Director and VP, and the sargeants are left with conflicting directions and goals. The lack of trust their Directors experience is passed on to them, and so on. Paralysis ensues, nothing significant gets done, that which does get done is half-a$$ed and short sighted, and all parties end the day feeling unsatisfied and beaten down. The bad VP continues to report up that all is well while chaos and unhappiness reigns below.

Ultimatelt this all flows downhill and impacts the individual contributor who now has no real leadership to guide them, sees distrust and incompetence all around them, and becomes one of those unhappy, lazy, and jaded employees that are the doom of any good working place. The spend more time taking smoke breaks, complaining, avoiding their management, or shopping on-line than actually getting anything done. Yet they loudly announce how they are "slammed" and "too busy", "overworked", with no "work/life balance" etc. which then sets their poor leadership off on a wild goose chase. It's all such a waste of time.

Look at yourselves - honestly. Do your people trust you? Do you trust them? If the answer is no then one of you needs to go, because it's not working. Stop worrying about how you look to those above you and start worrying about the people you're supposed to be leading. Grow a backbone and understand what matters, which sometimes means stepping back and letting those capable people on your team make decisions - good or bad. You will have to report failure from time to time, deal with it. That's called leadership. It's meant to be a little scary when you're doing it right.

Nov 13, 2014Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. It’s thoughtful and thorough and I appreciate you providing the insights and the feedback on your VMware experience.

Of course I’m very sorry to
    ... More