VMware

3.6
1,501 Reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • UK organisation trying hard on soft management areas such as work life balance (in 103 reviews)

• Great technology and this company definitely adds credibility to your resume (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is determined by your manager (mine was a known workaholic) (in 67 reviews)

• The company once slim and trim has grown many folds; bloating the middle management (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, limited growth paths

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Great products, good people, autonomy

Cons

Difficult to growth from fiedl role also with outstanding performance

more opportunities for good professional

love the componay

I have been working at VMware

Pros

best company I have ever worked for

Cons

first large corperation I have ever worked for

Best experience in my career

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Joined VMware after more than 20 years' of experience at a number of companies. Having worked elsewhere, the HR Happy Song here at VMware sounded familiar--how employees were our greatest resource etc.

. . . except here @ VMW they really seem to mean it. The transparency and level of communication from senior management is amazing.

Cons

Advancement can be limited if not located in Palo Alto. Can have a short-term numbers focus at the expense of long-term success. Can be bipolar with budgets--a lot of emergency cost-cutting, countered with bouts of "hurry up and spend."

Accept more variability in the business cycle--laying off good people because of how one quarter's numbers might look not the best course.

Constantly evolving, sometimes frustrating, but ultimately awesome

Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about VMware in my opinion is that they are willing to invest in their employees. Rather than force you to hop jobs as is done so frequently in the Valley, VMware is much more willing to promote from within. There is a strong base of VMware "lifers" who are the pillars of the internal management team, and there is mentorship and success to be had if you have the right attitude. Work/life balance is excellent.

Cons

VMware has had a little too much "evolving" going on lately. Large scale and poorly planned shakeups have left some disillusioned or feeling rudderless. While this is hopefully all behind us, having seen major reorganizations happen several times in my tenure I do worry that it may continue.

Do your best to maintain consistent communication with your employees. When major changes are made, double down on efforts to communicate them out to the organization and push your line managers to do the same. Messaging is everything in a company this big.

VMware in Cork is a fantastic place to work. Very exciting, dynamic environment.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at VMware

Pros

The company continues to grow so there are plenty of opportunities for career development.

Cons

Good time management skills required to ensure good work life balance

Overall, a great company with innovative products. However certain departments are understaffed and overworked.

Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at VMware full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, and great overall culture. Ongoing training and career advancement opportunities. Very flexible vacation policy (with management approval). Compensation is comparable with industry standard. Very fast pace, never a dull moment.

Cons

As in most org's, there are "clique's", and if you are not savvy enough to develop those relationships, you will be overlooked regardless of your performance. Support staff was insufficient to meet demands of the business, therefore causing staff to be overworked. Sales compensation plan very difficult to understand, and changes at least twice a year.

Continue to innovate and maintain core values (EPICC). When building a sales organization, consider ALL elements of the organization. Adding additional account executives without the additional support staff is problematic and limits the ability to grow the market and scale the overall business accordingly.

A company that leads in technology despite mediocre-to-poor marketing communications.

I worked at VMware

Pros

Great technologies, and very smart people at the upper levels -- Sr. Director and above.

Cons

I can't speak to the technology side -- my impression is VMware is probably a great company to work for on that side of the house.. But the cultural values in marketing communications, where I spent my days, are quantity and speed vs. quality of work and smart thinking. VMware seems to have a knack for hiring marketing people at the manager and director level who wouldn't know quality design or writing if they tripped over it -- which they don't often do, and sadly, they don't really care. Suggestions that would improve someone's pet project or initiative are routinely ignored. People get favored and promoted owing to political skills more than anything else. Ultimately, most of the really talented people I knew in VMware marketing ended up leaving.

Search out in-the-trenches marketing people with bona fide talent: who understand and care about customers, coherent messaging, great thinking and great work. Avoid directors with decades-long tenures at big but non-innovative companies. Most of them are simply hacks.

Great place to work

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance, great technologies

Cons

stock benefits are not much

Overall Great Company

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

Limited career opportunities for growth within the company

Be pen about challenges as well as successes

In general, VMware rocks. I am proud to say I work for this company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Fully-stocked break room full of free drinks and snacks. Bagel/breakfast taco Wednesday is awesome.
    * Smart group of techies that are able to solve almost any challenge with ease.
    * Management sees the work done and actively gives "attaboys".
    * Communication through any customer issues are done to the entire org, which is nice.
    * We all work as a team for a common goal - success to the customer.
    * We offer products to better our customers worlds, as well as our own.
    * Direct access to VMware developers can help make VMware customers have an optimal experience with the code before it hits "GA" status. We are our own beta testers of service provider code.
    * Again, we all believe in the common goal. For ourselves and our customers.

Cons

* New solutions come through the pipe so quick that sometimes issues happen during deployment to production environments. This impacts customers. See "Advice to Management".

* Slow down. We can't save the world on a daily basis. Take the time to properly develop solutions so customers have an optimal experience.