VMware Reviews

Reset

1,597 Employee Reviews

1. Great place.

I have been working at VMware

Pros

A great place to work for, it has a lot of intelligent colleagues and a work/life balance environment.
    The technology is also great.

Cons

The main point is communication. We need to communication with colleagues in America or other countries so we need to challenge the timezone. And there are too many projects so the cooperation is a bit ineffective.

2. Good place to work

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, responsible people, most of my teammates are very good and professional. Work at a steady pace. Good benefits.

Cons

Company is getting large and it decreases efficiency. Long promotion process. Slower pace in developing, since it is more a system company that takes long time to release.

Advice to Management

Hire more elite people with better salaries and compensation instead of hiring more but not as productive. Reduce complex meetings and work flows.

COO/CFO is ineffective - can't drive the much needed change

I worked at VMware full-time

Pros

Great reputation, smart people, cash-rich.

Cons

Unqualified COO/CFO, lack of collaboration across the product groups, incompetent HR leadership, dirty politics.

Advice to Management

Clean up the house!

5. Decent place to work

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic work life. Management is lenient on working from work and vacation times.
    - Good 401K match
    - Variety of healthcare options

Cons

- Moving up and salary increases is hard to get to
    - Preferences given to senior members
    - Not a fast moving company (slow and steady growth)

6. VMware

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at VMware (More than 8 years)

Pros

SLT strong vision and ability to execute

Cons

communication sometimes difficult in organization >14K people

7. Inside Partner Business Manager

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Well compensated. Culture is youthful, driven professionals that are willing to help each other at anytime.

Cons

Compensation plan is hard to understand and there isn't a clear model for how you are compensated. You will make better than average money, but you just have to trust that they are paying you correctly.

Advice to Management

Don't turn into a metrics driven company that forgets that your sales makers are people and need time to interact with their customers on a more personal level. If they are worried about metrics this culture will be lost. Be humble and understand that while virtualization has/is changing the world it is still a niche product. $6b/ year is nothing to raise your nose at, but consider how much is spent on IT annually around the globe. Don't get a big head.

8. Director

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Good work life balance. Upper managements does it best to let the company know corporate strategy.

Cons

Politics gets in the way of doing things.

9. Technical COnsultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

great learning curve, benefits and pay is good

Cons

immediate managers are not that great to look out for you and your career.

10. Amazing place to work with a few "but's"

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

Incredibly extensive benefits package, above-average competitive salaries, great campus if you live in the Bay Area. At VMware, you are truly at the cutting-edge of IT.

Cons

Company still enamored with outside hires, so few opportunities for high performers. However, VMware is a fantastic place to learn and work.

Advice to Management

Be the fearless innovator we all want you to be. Continue to be aggressive with our solutions and the entire team will be behind you.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At the most basic level VMware really takes care of its employees. There are relatively few companies that can match what VMware offers with respect to standard and non-standard benefits. If you're good at what you do and are in a high-demand area you'll be rewarded with a very generous salary, bonus, and stock grants. The health benefits, vacation time, and access to high quality training, among other benefits, are truly top notch. There are little things too, like assistance with medical costs for those having trouble conceiving. I love VMware for this type of stuff. Additionally, the Palo Alto campus where I'm located is truly in a league of its own. Anything you could possibly want, it's here. You want a top notch gym. It's here. Multiple cafeterias with various food types? It's here. On site dental and medical care? It's here. Pinball machines? Ping pong tables? Volley ball courts? All here. The list could go on. Pretty incredible.

Cons

Unfortunately despite all of the Pros I listed, the cons outweigh them for me, unfortunately.

I'll be leaving within the month.

In a nutshell there is a HUGE management problem at VMware. I've only started in the past 6 months so I came in with what I like to think is a fresh perspective. If you can, scroll through the past Glassdoor reviews and look for one titled “Looking back, VMware has some major problems” from November, 2014. It turned out to be very, very prescient for me. I remember reading it before I started and thinking, "well, that's interesting." It hits the nail so squarely on the head it's a bit eery.

To summarize and add my own color to that review: There is a huge disconnect between the various levels of management at VMware and what you get from one high-level VP, may not match what the Director says, which may not match what your manager says.

Very regularly I will have a Sr Director or VP bypass my own leader (a Director) and give me completely different priorities and instructions. You end up in a situation where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. And, just like in the movie Office Space, you find yourself telling the same thing to 3 different managers who are asking you to fill out your TPS reports correctly. I'm an engineering manager, my job is mostly spent sorting out politics and not leading a team of capable engineers.

Ultimately the problem really affects the individual contributors, the folks that really make it happen, who are left to sort out the mess. Not surprisingly, folks get and frustrated and leave. The turn-over rate, at least in my group, is depressing.

It's impossible to retain the top talent that VMware desperately needs to stay relevant as the technology they've built the whole business on is quickly changing (containers, Amazon, etc). There are two main camps (maybe three) of folks who seem to stick it out:

(A) Those who are afraid to go outside of VMware because this is all they've become jaded and complacent. This has become all they know. The tell tale sign is you see them shopping online all day, reading facebook, etc.

(B) Those on visas or something similar from India/China/etc who don't have an easy path to moving to somewhere else or are only aware of this sort of big company culture.

(C) The third camp of folks is the highest level executives, who are quite polished as you'd expect, they stick it out because they're not really exposed to what's going on at the lower levels and are likely oblivious, or don't really care. This is just a notch in their belt before they move on to their next executive position.

At the end of the day you're left with people who feel stuck (and are driven like rented mules to make up for the lack of quality engineers, eg working harder versus smarter) as they watch brief gusts of fresh air come by (new, smart, intelligent engineers) that quickly evacuate as soon as they get a hold of how things operate.

It's a shame really. :-( I was so excited to be at VMware but it's time to go after only 6 months.

Advice to Management

The much alluded to EPIC2 values are great, but they're only meaningful/useful if they're followed and folks buy into them. I think there should be mandatory training for managers that they participate in at the time of their hiring and that gets re-upped every 2 years or something similar.

Showing 1,597 of 1,691 reviews