VMware Reviews

3.7
1,373 Reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before (in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge (in 56 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers) (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, product and C-Level Leadership...sales leadership is out of touch.

Current Employee - Inside Account Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Account Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, vacation time, free snacks, free breakfast on Fridays

Cons

Sales leadership is out of touch with employees. Low Morale. Unattainable quotas with quarterly account and territory churn.

Listen to your customers, employees and partners. Stop treating customers and employees as interchangeable parts and numbers.

Get seasoned at VMWare

I have been working at VMware as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very focussed, and dedicated employee base. Always ready for change, and you get immediate response for any of your queries. Great campus and flat hierarchy that you can reach out to anyone for faster issue resolution.

Cons

Though the company is old enough, still it works like a start up, and expects you to exceed the normal hours of working. It's too dynamic that yesterday's decision could have changed a few moments ago already.

Provide an assurance to employees and contractors that they can have good work-life balance

Objective and Positive Review

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Co-workers are all "A" players. The majority are driven, intelligent, proactive and extremely helpful. I have never once called someone (even out of the blue that may have never worked with me) and been made to feel as if I was a burden for reaching out. There is a culture of teamwork and "customer first". Everyone that I have interacted with appears aggressively on board with that. That makes my life a lot easier. I have been in other positions where people protected their knowledge and operated almost like a mini-fiefdom, possibly for fear of job security. Not here
    2) Senior leadership (thankfully) recognized long ago that vSphere cannot be the only core solution. Frankly, it is so widely adopted that it is only natural there would be declining new adoption.... simply because the market was saturated. In addition to core vSphere, our on-prem / off-prem cloud solutions and End User Compute portfolio is second to none and it will ensure that our position in the market remains dominant for years.
    3) Resources are plentiful. Initial on-boarding is absolutely fantastic and they provide cutting edge technology for new employees (ex. Powerful MacBooks, information resources, guides, etc).
    4) I work remotely, but I have been to their campuses and they are fully stocked with healthy options. There are also down time things like pinball machines, ping pong tables, quiet areas, etc. The main campus is unbelievable, and with pretty much any amenity you could ask for. I would consider relocating cross country just for the Palo Alto campus alone lol.
    5) Many companies talk about work/life balance, but VMware practices it. I am never pressured into situations that could negatively impact my personal quality of life. That said, there is work to be done. So as long as you can professionally manage your workload you will be given plenty of latitude to do what's best for your family and non-work life.
    6) This may not be the case for all, but my direct 1st and 2nd level management is the best I have EVER worked for. I get tremendous support to attack my work without unnecessary levels of micro management. On many occasions, they have made it clear to me that they are there to help me in any way they can.
    7) Considering I am a remote employee, I require an expense account. I do not have to deal with unnecessary levels of inspection. This isn't to say that there is free reign, but if I need to expense something to do my job it is rarely questioned. Just like any company though, we have a responsibility to the company/shareholders to be frugal when possible..... however I greatly appreciate not having to waste time pouring over every expense at length and providing extensive justification.
    8) There is literally an endless amount of content internally. It could be considered a con to some, as it would be impossible to consume it all. That said, there is always a resource to be drawn from if you need it.
    9) Working from home is awesome and greatly lends itself back to a nice work/life balance. There will frequently be times I need to hit my email / do prep and research after the typical 8 - 5. The trade off is that I can dictate my schedule and fit things in during the day I might have not been otherwise able to working from an office.
    10) Compensation and benefits are fantastic. PERIOD...END OF STORY.

Tips for those considering employment here:

1) You may be the best VMware guru around in your current employment. Once you get here, be prepared to check any ego at the door. The people here are rock stars with our solutions. The sooner you do that the better. Just be prepared to take in all the information you can possibly process to make yourself a better resource.
    2) Do not accept a job here if you aren't prepared to give 100%. As great as the resources and perks are, there are also big expectations from management. This is not the kind of job where you can "coast" in any sense of the word. It is part of what makes working with these people great.
    3) Take a deep breath, it may take months before you feel comfortable. You will feel like the dumbest person in the room for awhile.... don't let that discourage you.

Cons

1) The sheer volume of information that you may have to take in can be intimidating for some. We aren't just a vSphere shop, there are several dozen solutions and (at least in my role) you may be required to speak intelligently on all of them. This is both from a technical perspective and also from a strategic business perspective.
    2) If you let it, you can consume every waking moment with work here. It is your responsibility to find the balance. Your management will back you on this as long as you are producing.
    3) Just like any sales-driven company, there is intense pressure to meet quotas. This can also be intimidating for some.
    4) This company has thousands of people. As a result, networking is every bit as important as being a technical beast or exceeding your quota. Some people may find this difficult as it relates to job advancement. If you want to move up, you need to blend excellent job performance with excellent internal networking skills.
    5) VMware changes rapidly internally. If you aren't adaptable, you may find the frequent changes frustrating. There is very much a "start up" type mentality here, despite the large head count (15,000+).

Keep up the culture, it is awesome. I am proud to work here.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its OK!

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is good. Work and compensation is decent.

Cons

There is no career growth unless you completely agree with your superiors on every small task/bug/feature. Unlimited time-off policy is a joke, created only to save money when people do not take/get time off. Tons of VPs, Sr. Directors, and Directors without any leadership abilities. Most of them work as micro-managers leaving managers to not have any authority to take decisions.

Focus on people and people will build amazing products. Hire smart first-line managers and give teams freedom and ownership to build products and services. "A VP reporting to a VP, who then reports to another VP" is not a model for success, not for a tech company.

team culture

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

company is good and campus is very big

Cons

bad team culture in web marketing dept. management doesnt share information or update about the team. bad management team

Fantastic company with vision and great technology.

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture of giving back to the community. Top executives are smart and there is lots of opportunity for company growth.

Cons

Lack of process--operates like a start up. Lack of a presence solution makes collaboration a challenge--heavy email culture, death by power point and unnecessary conference calls. Work load is insane, resulting in churn and burn.

Encourage mid managers to mentor and develop employees and be true to the culture and values.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work culture and people. VMware really cares about it's people and wants its people to enjoy work while succeeding in their career. They promote family and work-life balance as well as amazing benefits. There is a lot of training available and a lot of career paths to move towards

Cons

It is hard to advance in your career unless you network a LOT. That seems to be with most corporate jobs but definitely it isn't always about who is most qualified. You also have to find your own career path, management does not do a good job helping their underlings in career development.

It is better to take the best of various business models and create a successful business plan vs modeling the company after another local company that hasn't done that well over the past 6 years.

Human Resources

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team and work/life balance! Competitive compensation.

Cons

None! It's a great company to work for.

Best company I've ever worked for...

Former Employee - Partner Team  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Partner Team in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great technology, products, market leader. I worked here during the Diane Greene and Paul Maritz eras, and Diane put VMware on the map, and Paul took it to a whole new level. Great leadership at that time. Compensation was good, same with stock options and benefits. They took care of their people. It was a privilege to work there during their hyper-growth phase.

Cons

As with any fast growing company, it was a bit chaotic at times.

Continue the innovation to always stay several steps ahead of the competition.

Brilliant technology, the right culture, excellent people

Current Employee - Senior Director, Product Management  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

it's always moving like a startup, there's no standing still and you have every opportunity to be part of changing the face of IT. There's no shortage of competition but you always feel like the leading contender.

Cons

difficult to navigate, sometimes lacks coordination across business units and a definite lack of organized processes. Sometimes a bit too much ADHD but likely required in the cloud computing market.

we went from being an innovative powerhouse with a strong focus on customers to being more focused on the market and follow the money. Don't lose the customer obsession and passion for innovation.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!