VMware Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1,759 Employee Reviews

One of the best places to work in Silicon Valley

Pros

-Very smart employees -Truly collaborative culture, you can approach nearly anyone and if you are competent, you will be welcomed with open arms -In my group, caring and inclusive management team -Excellent team work and camaraderie -People are happy here -Work life balance is the best I have seen; don't get me wrong, we work hard, but people know when to unplug.

Cons

-As mentioned by others, the company's grown so fast, there seems to be some duplication and redundancy in work done across several organizations -Mid-Level (Managers to Sr. Directors) could use training in how to encourage and develop employees. Difference at VMW, this is recognized and discussed. There are programs being kicked off to help managers learn how to be effective leaders. I have not seen this in similar companies in my 20+years in the Valley.

Advice to Management

Be crystal clear about what is most important for VMW to realize its strategies in the next 3-5 years, repeat, repeat and repeat again.

2. Great experience during the growth years

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to really see the entire IT ecosystem as a central participant. Opportunities to participate in new initiatives and markets. Pay is very good. Engineers are some of the best.

Cons

As with any large company, internal politics limits what can be achieved. Customer is not as important as what the engineering team "wants to do". Very difficult to do internal transfers -- my opportunities came only when management offered them on their own after rebuffing my own attempts. Still worked out, but process wasn't pleasant. I noticed a rating on "work/life balance" below. There is none. Get over it -- they are paying you really well. And if you don't get an awesome offer, don't take the job.

Advice to Management

At this size of company it's important to attack new markets. Don't look for reasons to say no, look for reasons to say yes.

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware (More than a year)

Pros

Good place. People are very helpful and open. You can easily walk into anyone's office and ask anything.

Cons

Sometimes the business decission made doesn't make sense. VMware is doing lot of catching up with things like AWS, Docker etc, so there is always a hurry to deliver, hence not always the right decision is taken.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing which are sustainable going forward rather than quickly deliver something and redoing it again.

Fast-paced environment

Pros

Fast paced-environment, great place to learn from new challenges. VMware is innovative at its core, company has vision and makes really cool, cutting edge products and solutions.

Cons

Company is evolving, culture is evolving, some lack of clarity requiring ability to deal with ambiguity and adapting to changing landscape.

Advice to Management

Listen, inspire and develop compassionate leadership. If you focus on employees, empowerment and leverage each person's strengths, then you will get the best out of each person.

VMware Rocks!

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at VMware (More than a year)

Pros

Great place with great people.

Cons

VMware does not have any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

7. MTS3

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at VMware (More than a year)

Pros

* Flexible work schedules

Cons

* Poor upper management

8. Tough Time Making Right Decisions

Former Employee - Staffing
    Former Employee - Staffing

I worked at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the large organization and all the benefits that come with that. Resources, people targeted with smaller tasks to help get the larger goals accomplished. Great R&D managers that were responsive and understood the importance of a good hire.

Cons

Staffing org is always shuffling. Layoffs happened at the beginning of each year that I was there. That's never a fun feeling. My director was constantly telling us that VMware was not making money. Then reorged our group and changed the dynamic from a team / family one to one of suspicion and animosity. That's also never a fun feeling.

Advice to Management

Make sure that you're listening to 360 reviews and asking the right questions of the people doing the leading. Listen to employees when they ask for help and figure out how to get the help needed to do the job well.

9. R&D Engineer

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

Fast paced with highly technical learning experiences. Vast resources available at disposal to leverage.

Cons

High expectations for timeline software development of features. Lack of ownership and direction for areas of products and priorities.

Advice to Management

Have the discipline to enforce that teams to align to the corporate vision implies that innovation should result in overall improvement of the product portfolio rather than micro-startup products that operate in isolation.

VMware has lost its way

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

I would have said being surrounded by smart people with a purpose, lead by people with integrity, at a forward thinking company with a bright future - but I can't. Not anymore. That's what VMware used to be. Even the newest, most innovative group to come along in a long time - vCloud Air - has devolved into a political, back-stabbing mess populated with weak leadership that either already has or will soon drive off everybody with any talent and brains. And it seems this nightmare of a management team will even fire those that question any of this. Where are your EPIC values when they actually need to be tested VMware? In the trash, with all the other good things you ever did.

Cons

If you think my Pros were Cons, wait till you hear the Cons. In summary, the leadership of the vCloud Air team specifically has somehow become convinced that they actually know what they are doing. No longer is there a sense of experimentation and risk taking, which attracted some of the brightest minds from across the company and the industry to sign up for the journey, but instead in their place are arrogance, ignorance, and politics. Arrogance is bread from the top down, with the "leaders" making arbitrary and damaging decisions while ignoring the informed counsel of the people WHO ACTUALLY DO THE JOB EVERYDAY. This leads to embarrassing displays of ignorance by the "leaders" in all hands presentations and customer meetings when false and/or falsified information is shared as the truth. And the politics of the place make it impossible for any of the smart folks who clearly know the information is untrue to call it out with their "leaders" for fear of retaliation in the form of public humiliation or firing. And they have good reason to be scared - retaliation is the new blood sport at VMware. Once there was a time when people could wake up and feel good about the challenges they faced everyday...now they wake up and dread every minute.

Advice to Management

As if management will listen to, much less take to heart, any of this. I can hear them now, discrediting these words and view point with misplaced self deception - "just a disgruntled employee, no one will take this seriously" "our people are too afraid to speak out against us, what do we have to be worried about?" - instead of actually looking into their own hearts and minds to find the truth. And that truth is you have lost your way VMware, and it begins from the top down. Your people are miserable, scared, tired of being lied to, and feeling powerless to do anything about it. They will leave, or you will fire them for "failure to play the game" (often called "failing to build the 'right' relationships with the 'right' people"), and then you'll have nothing left but a shell of what was once a great company. And you, "leadership", are to blame.

Caught in the past

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Sadly there is a lot of this that is starting to run out in the company. The benefits are nice, but not what they used to be.

Cons

The biggest issue with the company right now is they would rather higher from outside to prominent positions instead of promoting loyal, highly qualified employees because of archaic policies.

Advice to Management

Time to practice what they preach and be a leader/innovator instead of making the same exact mistakes Microsoft is making.

Showing 1,759 of 1,860 reviews