VMware Reviews

3.6
1,352 Reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • Many companies talk about work/life balance, but VMware practices it (in 89 reviews)

• Great technology, community oriented, great to employees, good working environment (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is determined by your manager (mine was a known workaholic) (in 61 reviews)

• The company once slim and trim has grown many folds; bloating the middle management (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

VMware was a great place to work!

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about VMware is the people. Low ego, down to Earth, smart people. People who have gotten over themselves and are interested in working together. Challenging problems - an infrastructure company like VMware is solving the problems of massively scalable services that much of computing/the web will be based on for years to come.

Cons

May not pay as much as competitors. Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge. Getting new ideas implemented takes some time.

Get rid of the fluff and BS bureaucracy. Keep it about the work and those who are getting done, as opposed to the people who look busy.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still work here as long as I did. I would just avoid any contact with HR.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Super smart people in all organizations. Really good products.

Great benefits.

Good training, but needs to scale to be as powerful as an organization of our current size.

Cons

If you don't work out of the Palo Alto campus, you won't get all the great perks like free concerts and beer bashes.

Too many upper management/executive hires in the past few years have turned this into EMC, which is detrimental innovation and independence.

If you have to work directly with HR, I have found that without exception, they are the most horrible, uncaring people on the planet. In hiring, onboarding, and other employment tasks, they have offered no value, hindering the process and making it a terrible experience for the employee and manager. I don't know how true that is for other large companies.

Beef up training, especially on the technical side. Too many people have to fight for too few hands-on classes, among others.

Great culture, fantastic company to work for, but typical large company corporate politics and BS

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

culture
    benefits/perks
    successful company
    don't have to work too hard
    money invested in employees and campuses

Cons

a lot of people can hide here and don't do anything, tons of dead wood and useless employees

Tech leader - diverse experiences

Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot - grew tons both personally and professionally. The company brand has opened a lot of doors for me.

Cons

Hard to drive decisions to closure sometimes. As they got bigger, there was a question of where new innovation would come from.

Encourage more risk-taking, consider outside-in thinking and cultivate a renewed focus on innovation.

A good company.

Former Employee - Curriculum Production Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Curriculum Production Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, beautiful campus and I worked with a great group of individuals.

Cons

Time-off was fine, worked from home so not fully versed on office culture, work-life balance good.

Great work and culture

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Broomfield, CO

I worked at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

VMware's desire to help the community around is as strong as their desire to succeed in business.

Cons

Rapid growth has created a lot of dysfunction in how groups are (were) organized.

Fantastic company with vision and great technology.

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company culture of giving back to the community. Top executives are smart and there is lots of opportunity for company growth.

Cons

Lack of process--operates like a start up. Lack of a presence solution makes collaboration a challenge--heavy email culture, death by power point and unnecessary conference calls. Work load is insane, resulting in churn and burn.

Encourage mid managers to mentor and develop employees and be true to the culture and values.

A good company to work at the beginning of a career

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some extremely talented and hard-working people, you can learn a lot from them. Very nice work and life balance - unlimited vacation. Opportunities to explore different aspects of the company products and cutting edge technologies. Good total compensation package - may not be as good as other big names but still very good. Office is on the beautiful hill of Palo Alto. Much better commute experience through 280 over 101.

Cons

Career growth is questionable given such a large company. Some middle managers coming from other big companies tend to hire people they knew from their past companies.

Find some exceptional and visionary middle managers. They can make correct move of the products as well as promote good work of the employees.

VMware Response

Jul 9, 2014Social Community Manager, Employment Brand

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about working at VMware. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying several of our workplace perks such as flexible vacation time and working on cutting-edge ... More

good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at VMware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

respect on individuals, especially technical expertise.

Cons

grow fast facing chanllenge from process and org.

Contractor

I have been working at VMware

Pros

New so far so good.

Cons

nothing to report at this time