VMware Reviews

3.7
1,372 Reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before (in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge (in 56 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers) (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Phenomenal company. Brilliant people. Awesome products. All-around great culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware as a contractor

Pros

I love when companies invest in their employees and VMware is a great example of this. I had no experience in the department I was going into, but a training program was created to catch myself and several others up to speed. The managers monitored our progress and made sure all our questions were answered throughout the training. I work with a great team who not only support each other, but mentor each other in order to have continuous growth.

Cons

Although the managers promote growth and development, it is more directed to the permanent employees than the contractors. I've noticed favoritism and politics which is frustrating. Those who are favored get ahead and are recognized, while those who have the potential and the drive, are ignored.

Don't forget about the contractors - invest in their growth and development even when training has been completed. End favoritism. What's the point? Employees will notice and it will cause a separation within the department.

MTS 2

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to be. Very innovative company!! Stocks are gonna pump next year :-)

Cons

Can't think off. Management is always an issue with any company. So no complains about it

Please promote internal employees as manager than hiring someone outside the company for manager. This step is proven to have pretty stable company and good long term plans and results

Great place

I have been working at VMware

Pros

A good place to work

Cons

It's a large company so YMMV

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poltical Morass

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very generous with benefits and salary. Bonuses are always paid out well above target. The campus is nice. If you are lucky enough to dodge the (many) bad managers, the rest are great.

Cons

It's a kind of working retirement. So many people drag their feet and don't do any work. Everyone estimates their work will take years, then goldbricks the whole time. Most of the management is a mess. Tons of politics, tons of meetings just to be seen, a lot of territorial fights. People who fail are often rewarded. There is no accountability. Surprisingly since VMware is all about improving IT, the internal IT is comedically terrible.

Crack down on the BS from the bad managers. Start holding people accountable; if someone fails miserably, don't put them in charge the next time.

What a shame

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredible software solution that can and will transform the IT industry. And Palo Alto apparently. The culture in Austin is bad.

Cons

Micro-management at its finest. It is and will drive all talent to other options. The inside sales organization has been transformed from a demand generating business unit into nothing more than a call center. Austin management team is clueless and clearly in a self preservation mode to justify their existence. Sales is pulled in so many different directions even the best and smartest are failing. This no longer for true sales people. It may be a great job for people that enjoy spinning 100s of plates and herding 100s of cats...

Hire middle management that have actually held a sales role. The ability to email spread sheets and metrics is not working

Used to be a great company that cared employees, now they are too worried about acting like the Palo Alto office to care

I worked at VMware full-time

Pros

Great people that work at VMware

Cons

Too many hours and the managers are back-stabbers

it's not what you think

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- compensation is usually good
    - depends on the group, work/life balance can be good
    - the campus is nice, pond, waterfall, turtles
    - engineers-driven company

Cons

- delivery doesn't matter
    - promotions from within are rare
    - performance review doesn't matter
    - poor diversity, many Palo Alto groups have more than 70 % South Asians, I wish I knew hindu
    - from career prospective, not recommended to join on your own. Rule of thumb:
    10 years of experience + PhD == Senior Member of Technical Staff, when joining on your own.
    fresh graduate == Staff Engineer, when coming through acquisition.
    - Rumor / urban legend goes that some groups used to put their junior members in turtle's pond, as part of some initiation process. It was swept under the carpet by HR. Once again, it's rumor, but why somebody will make up such rumors?
    - management / leadership rotate all the time, coming close to non-existing. I had 5 direct managers in 2.5 years.

Make no mistake, this company is 80% EMC owned.
    Beside talking about past break-throughs and zero-product conferences, products are barely built in-house.
    Lately, in addition to funny acquisitions, hiring management from Cisco / Juniper. Can look like Cisco half a year later.
    There is some attention to ethics / values, most likely ignored since C-level execs appear to ignore it themselves.

What a ride

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was a privilege to work at VMware during the first years of their hyper growth. It was an incredible experience to be a part of the paradigm shift in IT with regards to virtualization and the software defined datacenter. The environment was dynamic with many growth opportunities for those who had the drive for success

Cons

Minimal training with respect to a sales methodology
    Became a big company
    Constant realignment of territories
    Broken license renewal process for customers

Not sure where to begin here

Great Product, chaotic growth, toxic culture.

I worked at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

High growth environment, with a great product and good compensation package. It has a young, hip feel and is fun. Interesting policy around vacation time where it is not accrued as a specific amount but negotiated with your management based on performance and needs of the job.

Cons

Culture is "every man for himself" and lacks the sense of team or collaboration. Leadership turnover coupled with rapid growth causes starts and stops on strategic initiatives. Could benefit from experienced strategic and focused leadership.

Former Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues/peers are great - friendly and knowledgeable. Product Development and Product Marketing colleagues are smart and strategic.

Cons

New management - promoted from within are very poor at managing people and are VERY unprofessional. I saw people "chewed' out in front of other colleagues. No training for new employees and contractors. Very high pressure environment with very little support from anyone except your colleagues.

Internal managers in partner enablement and other departments think they know about partner management and sales but they do not. "White tower" mentality here and it is hurting VMware.

Wake up. You are coming late to the party with your Cloud solution. Listen to your partners and the Field before it is too late. Get rid of some of your New middle managers and old management that DO NOT CARE about people. People are leaving VMware in droves and not just because they want to work at a startup! Act now and LEAD and remove the dead weight managers!!

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!