VSCO Reviews

VSCO Co-Founder and CEO Joel Flory
Joel Flory

1. I love working at VSCO

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you care about visual art like I do there aren't many other places like VSCO that are genuinely dedicated to it and that successful at it. VSCO is a company that has discovered its identity and purpose, and the users have responded. The project is awesome and very ambitious. The execs are pretty low key and not egotistic, which is huge in my book. Notice how they don't their face and bio on the company website? How awesome is that. VSCO aims to be a very employee oriented company and they mean it. It's a young company so there is a wealth of opportunity for people joining now. The benefits are great. Incredible work environment, from the amazing office, the food, the perks, the benefits, the project, the quality of the people. The downtown oakland location works great for me.

Cons

What makes VSCO great come at a price: It's still a young company with long term uncertainties, things change very quickly which can be unsettling for some people. The location works for me but can be an issue if you leave in SF or the peninsula. Downtown Oakland is still "transitioning"... Salaries are good but not industry top.

Advice to Management

Keep at it, it's amazing company and culture you are building.

2. Great Place to Work

I have been working at VSCO full-time

Pros

Hands down VSCO is the best place I've ever worked. Really, the main reason that VSCO is great is that the people who are hired fit extremely well within the culture. I've worked places where people just clock in and out and never get to know each other, but here at VSCO there isn't one person I can think of that I don't like working with. Everyone is passionate, dedicated, and invested into not only what they are doing but what the entire team is doing. The benefits are great. My family and I feel they are very generous. From the provided breakfast and lunch everyday to the health and retirement options, all of the benefits reflect the deeper ethos of the company which is to do everything with excellence. There is always opportunity to express your ideas. The feedback loop from the lowest level is very open and transparency as a company is huge here. Team members can schedule meetings with anyone from the executive team including either of the co-founders to talk through anything. Ideas are welcomed from any team member at any level as well which seems to be rare in my experience elsewhere.

Cons

It can be challenging to know the amount of time someone should spend working. Often team members will work significant hours (as is to be expected at any startup) which can lead to an unhealthy work life balance if not personally monitored. As a company we experienced a large phase of growth over the course of the last year and a half and with that unique communication challenges have presented themselves between teams internally.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to continue making decisions that are transparent and open with the team and built on the values and principles which guided them to this point.

3. Great Company with Awesome Culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at VSCO

Pros

- Great company culture - Lots of room to grow - Inspiring atmosphere - Awesome food

Cons

- Work/life balance could be hard

5. It

I have been working at VSCO full-time

Pros

1. Company Culture — People are down to earth, hardworking and humble. They really follow through with the "Can I have a beer with this person?" hiring criteria. There's real camaraderie. 2. Leadership — They're the main factor for #1. After working for selfish and arrogant people in the past, it's night and day. Even when you make mistakes, they don't chew you out or flip out. They're calm, measured, and reasonable and it's brought the best out of me. I've never worked harder and loved doing it. 3. Food and drink selection — In-house kitchen, top notch chef. Coffee, beer on tap and all the healthy snakes you could ask for. 4. Technical Challenges — Lots of interesting problems to be solved. 5. Career Mobility — There's a lot of flexibility on what you get work on. 6. Beautiful Office — It's like a art museum. Joel is a architecture-phile, so the office is just zen. 7. Impact — VSCO has a lot of respect in the art and photography community and it's amazing to meet people for the first time and you tell them you work here and they're blown away and go on about how much they love the company, not just the app. I've always worked a B2Bs before and have never experienced anything like this. 8. Oakland — The city has come a long way from when I was a kid. This would have definitely been a con before I started spending time here.

Cons

1. Process — There's still a lot of process that's being developed. So typical growing pains from a small company to mid-sized. 2. Design Separation — Most of the design team is in New York, so there's a bit left to be desired in terms of communication.

Advice to Management

Don't try to do everything, stay focused (product-wise). Increase the amount of communication opportunities between design and engineering.

6. Massively ambitious

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People really care about what we're working on, and about empowering artists. It feels more like a creative movement than a startup that is just building value to be acquired. If you want to own a project, it's yours. Good work/life balance. Low-ego engineers.

Cons

Still iterating on programming methodology. Growing fast. Lots and lots of work to do, but that's good also.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Stick to your ideals. Don't sell out. Don't compromise.

7. Meaningful mission, great balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flat Hierarchy, everybody is on the same level including the executives. - Employees are highly valued, you will be treated great. Great food. - Fun and creative, but never selling out on principles - Quickly growing user base

Cons

Somewhat chaotic because of the lack of strong hierarchy. You need to have some level of initiative to get things done. This can make things stressful if you don't like juggling multiple projects.

Advice to Management

Spend more resources on making the engineering process more streamlined.

8. I could not image working anywhere else and enjoying my day to day nearly as much as I love working at VSCO.

Current Employee - Community Support Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Community Support Specialist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO

Pros

From the benefits, to the meals, to the location and facilities available - I can go on and on about how fantastic everything about VSCO is. But the most amazing part is truly the family at VSCO. Since the beginning VSCO has focused on creating a trusted group of individuals who each bring a unique quality to the table. We're not just friends at VSCO - we are 100% a family.

Cons

At first I was nervous to work in the ever changing Downtown/Uptown Oakland area, but after a couple of days of walking to Lake Merritt on my lunch - I quickly came around. The worst part of working at VSCO is the food is too good so gaining weight will probably happen, there are too many options of delicious beverages in the fridges, and everyone is unbelievably supportive. So no, I have nothing bad to say about working at VSCO.

Advice to Management

A majority of companies I've worked with believe in a level of transparency but none compare to VSCO. During our scrums the management team will share awesome advances, set backs, and blockers. The VSCO Family shares almost everything that's happening. The management team is not on a pedestal and no one is out of reach. If an employee needs to talk to management it's rarely an issue grabbing a someone for a few minutes.

9. Fee blessed to be a part of the VSCO family.

I have been working at VSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't imagine working anywhere else. I'm constantly inspired by the other employees and Execs and genuinely feel blessed to be a part of VSCO -- I constantly wonder how I landed a job here! We are now 100+ people split between three offices but somehow still maintain a small 'family' business vibe, plus the benefits and work / life balance are second to none.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind! We went through a large growth spurt so there are small teething pains that come with that but nothing major.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

10. A Job with Purpose

I have been working at VSCO full-time

Pros

Working at VSCO, I feel elevated on so many levels, both professionally and personally. It simply feels great to be inspired in the workplace. I'm fortunate to have a job with a mission and purpose I truly believe in and to be part of a work family that really cares.

Cons

It's a start-up environment so if you come from the corporate side, it can be a bit of an adjustment. However, the start-up environment is exciting and it's quite impressive how VSCO is handling it's rapid growth.

Advice to Management

Hold on to the awesome culture and values you have established and continue to make good communication a top priority as we grow

I've worked at a lot of startups and VSCO is by far the best experience of them all

I have been working at VSCO

Pros

- Excellent balance for creative and technical work - Build something that people truly love - Company treats you like family

Cons

VSCO is growing fast so people who don't enjoy an environment that rapidly changing may not enjoy it here

Advice to Management

- Keep valuing your employees - Keep making sure that employees have a sense of ownership so that they take pride in their work - Keep allowing employees to have a voice and cater to the different ways each employee is comfortable in expressing that voice

RSS Feed </> Embed