VSCO

Updated October 19, 2014
5.0

VSCO Co-Founder and CEO Joel Flory
Joel Flory

I feel lucky to work at VSCO.

I have been working at VSCO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I genuinely like my team and everyone in the company with few exceptions are amazing. The engineers are pretty big bad-asses, and we have very high ambitions, and super high standards for our work.

The food is pretty great. I almost only eat at work.

Cons

The issues that insanely fast growing companies have like scaling the engineering work flow and methodology when the team doubles in size every 4 months.

Keep it up. Keep sticking to your principles. It keeps us different and makes all the hard work worth it.

Fast-moving, enthusiastic group with an incredible mission.

I have been working at VSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Above all, the people here make VSCO what it is. The team has been carefully considered and everybody is a joy to work with. We're a group that loves what we do and have a blast doing it. On top of that, we're building products that are legitimately changing the way everyday people create beautiful work, and that's incredible. All of the teams respect one another and the Executive team encourages you to speak up if something feels off. Other pros are definitely going to be the office space (once it's complete) as well as the incredible food that we have on a daily basis (healthy and accommodating).

Cons

Seriously not much comes to mind! We're in a crazy growth phase right now, and so we're all in that together. Obviously there are some growing pains with plenty of new people and roles, but it's an encouraging process.

Try and make sure that all teams are equally managed and that structure is put in place when needed.

Not just talking about creativity - fostering it.

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

VSCO is a company that puts their money where there mouth is.

- $1M 'artist initiative' fund
    - A daily updated journal which is almost entirely about members of the community
    - A social photo sharing platform where interesting creative photography is always featured, regardless of the social status of who took the photo

Having worked here for over two years I can say that everyone here believes in what they are doing and there is no sense of appealing to the creative market. VSCO literally are a member of the creative community.

Working on the products and platform that VSCO are building is a great experience. Employees are expected to take ownership of their work and show initiative when they see things that need doing. There is a genuine camaraderie and it's nice to come and work with others of like mind.

The working environment is great, especially for those with families (no rigid hours or long days, health care for family members) and actually, feels like something of a family in itself (shared meals, lots of friends working together and an express concern for each other).

The actual work is often challenging and I have been and seen others stretched technically on projects. Thankfully there is usually someone who can help.

Compensation and benefits are very good, but really it's the people that make me want to stay here.

Cons

There is sometimes a lack of direction that requires figuring out things and more cross communications than you might typically expect. Also as the size of the team grows there is the inevitable figuring out of 'process' and it is not yet all there yet.

Be more realistic with project scope / time estimation.

What its like to love where you work

Current Employee - IT Department in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - IT Department in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

+ Fully engaged and committed CEO & C-Level Staff
    + Across the board can-do attitudes
    + High expectations around performance
    + Collaborative environment
    + Defined and transparent road map
    + No micro managing
    + Amazing benefits & PTO policy
    + Commute friendly location
    + Working with people who are passionate about what they do
    + Extremely family focused from the top down

Cons

- small company, so your work is very visible - if you like to blend in you need not apply

Small, community focused environment with BIG impact

I have been working at VSCO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I left a leading search company on the peninsula to come to VSCO, and I'm really glad I did. A friend introduced me to the leadership team (I wasn't looking to leave my current company), and after several exploratory conversations, I interviewed. The interviewing process was seamless, and I found myself more and more inspired after each meeting.

After starting, I quickly knew I had made the right decision. The people are the best part of VSCO - we are in this together, and the strong focus on collaboration is something I really enjoy. The engineers are top notch (high bar with technical interviews), and everyone has a strong sense of ownership. There are strong opportunities for internal advancement (few promotions, new lead roles, etc), and the perks are great (free breakfast, lunch, and lots of good beer in the fridge).

We honor artist's work, and the notion of creativity is built into everything we do, internally as well. Design is top of mind for us, and I appreciate our founder's commitment to aesthetics.

I think I'll be at VSCO for a long, long time.

Cons

We're in hyper growth mode, so it will be important to retain our culture as we get bigger. I'm also really looking forward to our new build out in Oakland - it'll be great to get more space in the next couple of months!

Thanks for valuing our opinions - it's good to know our voices are heard (no matter our role in the company).

Happy, healthy, on mission

I have been working at VSCO full-time

Pros

Whenever someone is about to start here, I always say "welcome to the best place you'll ever work." It's just phenomenal. Clearly articulated and worthwhile company vision that pervades all aspects of what we do, really talented people, humble team-first environment, and did I mention we're growing like crazy? Amazing food too.

Cons

Seriously none. It's awesome, we just all have to work together to keep it this good. I feel bad, like I should have something to say here but I just don't.

Keep going. This is a rare place and let's do all we can to keep this amazing culture while we grow like crazy.

Great people, great work

I have been working at VSCO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Right from the interview process, the company makes you feel like a valuable person. They value what you bring to the table, respect you for your expertise and do not shun you for what you don't know because they understand that nobody's perfect.
    The culture of the company is something to brag about. Even as the company continues to grow at a very rapid pace, every new employee is instilled with enthusiasm to carry on the legacy of quality over quantity.
    Just like the slogan, the company truly is always moving forward. The coworkers are all geniuses in their respective fields apart from being super fun and friendly to work with.
    The vision of the company is what makes it so great.
    PS - the benefits are amazing.

Cons

As the new Oakland office has construction work going on, it gets a bit noisy. This won't be a problem after a few months though once the world-class office is fully built (and there's always noise cancelling head phones to the rescue).

Keep up the great work - the best management i have ever come across.

Great Environment and Culture

I have been working at VSCO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

VSCO is a very collaborative and innovative company. The people here are so encouraging and fun to be around. The work is fast paced, but it keeps things exciting and challenging. The management wants to see you succeed and roots for their own. VSCO truly cares about the people in their community and customers. It's awesome to work for and with people that are so excited about what we're doing.

The benefits are amazing. Great health and dental, generous vacation, breakfast and lunch provided, tech supplies, and gym membership.

Cons

Knowing what's expected of you in terms of your time. It took some getting used to, but basically, if you are reliable and available, and don't take advantage of VSCO's flexibility, you're fine.

With the company growing so quickly, communications can quickly deteriorate or get mixed up. Leads, make sure everyone involved in a launch or project is "in the know" so we can work most efficiently.

Awesome company

I have been working at VSCO full-time

Pros

- Great company culture.
    - Great support and encouragement from colleagues
    - Opportunities for career growth within the company
    - Culture encourages voicing your opinion and collaboration
    - Company has a grand vision on where it wants to go next
    - Breakfast & lunch provided

Cons

currently in stage of growth where new structure, policies, processes are being put in place

Great company to work for

I have been working at VSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about VSCO (hands down!) was the people and overall environment. VSCO definitely has a "work hard, play hard" mentality, but even when we were working our hardest, it was always well appreciated and supported by the teams.

While the company is still very young, everyone was extremely supportive and encouraged my own professional growth, with the ability to try new things if I wanted. As a developer, there is a lot of room to try new approaches while building out features as well as give input about possible complications and improvements with current implementations/specs.

Cons

During my year stint at VSCO, we did have a couple (maybe 3-4) REALLY early launches where we had to be in the office as early as 4:30am, but those were few and far between. When I first started, I felt like my salary was a little below market rate, but after getting time to prove myself, I quickly met my expectations on what was a fair salary (if you do well, VSCO is great at rewarding!)

Encourage young leadership to develop a gut instinct and to work outside their comfort zone and from what they learned in school. Also, keep an eye out for when teams are straying too far outside the bounds of what's needed to finish product in a timely manner.

VSCO Photos