VSCO

Updated January 24, 2015
4.9

VSCO Co-Founder and CEO Joel Flory
Joel Flory

I've worked at a lot of startups and VSCO is by far the best experience of them all

I have been working at VSCO

Pros

- Excellent balance for creative and technical work
    - Build something that people truly love
    - Company treats you like family

Cons

VSCO is growing fast so people who don't enjoy an environment that rapidly changing may not enjoy it here

- Keep valuing your employees
    - Keep making sure that employees have a sense of ownership so that they take pride in their work
    - Keep allowing employees to have a voice and cater to the different ways each employee is comfortable in expressing that voice

A Job with Purpose

I have been working at VSCO full-time

Pros

Working at VSCO, I feel elevated on so many levels, both professionally and personally. It simply feels great to be inspired in the workplace. I'm fortunate to have a job with a mission and purpose I truly believe in and to be part of a work family that really cares.

Cons

It's a start-up environment so if you come from the corporate side, it can be a bit of an adjustment. However, the start-up environment is exciting and it's quite impressive how VSCO is handling it's rapid growth.

Hold on to the awesome culture and values you have established and continue to make good communication a top priority as we grow

This place does it right.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO

Pros

Passionate leadership; talented coworkers; inspiring and friendly environment; good compensation; incredible benefits related to medical, vacation, and wellness; beautiful office with plenty of light and space; free breakfast and lunch

Cons

Employees are expected to perform well and continue to evolve with the company - could be overwhelming for some people.

Collaborative environment, great company culture, very creative & talented group of people

Current Employee - Anonymous in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's inspiring and motivating to work with so many talented, hardworking individuals who care so deeply about their work and moving the company vision forward. Great work hard, play hard company culture. Fun happy hours to celebrate new team members joining. Strong yet very approachable management team who constantly share how much they value employees. Tasty free food & drinks and excellent benefits' package!

Cons

Things move quickly and as expected with any fast growing company, there's lots to do and plates are full. Important to have good time management and prioritization skills.

Amazing place to work

I have been working at VSCO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing people make up the amazing culture here.
    People are really passionate about company and product and what they do.
    Lots of transparency from CEO and execs
    Autonomy - no micromanaging
    Really good benefits + PTO policy
    Commuter friendly

Cons

VSCO is undergoing exponential growth over several offices - sometimes makes things run not as efficiently as they could.

I have been working at VSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Time off policies, Benefits, incredible team to work with.

Cons

Training could be smoother as well as the ability to grow within the company.

Growing pains...

I worked at VSCO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are none. Management is clueless. They will pull the bait-and-switch from interview to reality.

Cons

Simply growing too fast. Hired bad people and promoted the clueless. They will tell you about "flexible hours" then expect you to be chained to your desk from 9-5.

Watch who you promote and hire.

I feel lucky to work at VSCO.

I have been working at VSCO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I genuinely like my team and everyone in the company with few exceptions are amazing. The engineers are pretty big bad-asses, and we have very high ambitions, and super high standards for our work.

The food is pretty great. I almost only eat at work.

Cons

The issues that insanely fast growing companies have like scaling the engineering work flow and methodology when the team doubles in size every 4 months.

Keep it up. Keep sticking to your principles. It keeps us different and makes all the hard work worth it.

Fast-moving, enthusiastic group with an incredible mission.

I have been working at VSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Above all, the people here make VSCO what it is. The team has been carefully considered and everybody is a joy to work with. We're a group that loves what we do and have a blast doing it. On top of that, we're building products that are legitimately changing the way everyday people create beautiful work, and that's incredible. All of the teams respect one another and the Executive team encourages you to speak up if something feels off. Other pros are definitely going to be the office space (once it's complete) as well as the incredible food that we have on a daily basis (healthy and accommodating).

Cons

Seriously not much comes to mind! We're in a crazy growth phase right now, and so we're all in that together. Obviously there are some growing pains with plenty of new people and roles, but it's an encouraging process.

Try and make sure that all teams are equally managed and that structure is put in place when needed.

Not just talking about creativity - fostering it.

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

VSCO is a company that puts their money where there mouth is.

- $1M 'artist initiative' fund
    - A daily updated journal which is almost entirely about members of the community
    - A social photo sharing platform where interesting creative photography is always featured, regardless of the social status of who took the photo

Having worked here for over two years I can say that everyone here believes in what they are doing and there is no sense of appealing to the creative market. VSCO literally are a member of the creative community.

Working on the products and platform that VSCO are building is a great experience. Employees are expected to take ownership of their work and show initiative when they see things that need doing. There is a genuine camaraderie and it's nice to come and work with others of like mind.

The working environment is great, especially for those with families (no rigid hours or long days, health care for family members) and actually, feels like something of a family in itself (shared meals, lots of friends working together and an express concern for each other).

The actual work is often challenging and I have been and seen others stretched technically on projects. Thankfully there is usually someone who can help.

Compensation and benefits are very good, but really it's the people that make me want to stay here.

Cons

There is sometimes a lack of direction that requires figuring out things and more cross communications than you might typically expect. Also as the size of the team grows there is the inevitable figuring out of 'process' and it is not yet all there yet.

Be more realistic with project scope / time estimation.

VSCO Photos