VSE Reviews

2.5

VSE President, CEO, COO, and Director Maurice A. Gauthier
Maurice A. Gauthier

Interning at VSE

I have been working at VSE as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Internationally focused, so I got to work on some very high-budget global initiatives, which was definitely interesting and I got to see how current events around the world affected company behavior.
    My coworkers were very friendly, and definitely willing to answer any questions when I had them.

Cons

Highly competitive and fast-paced, not really my kind of environment
    The work assignments, when they came, were interesting and challenging, but sometimes it seemed like they forgot there was an intern there (sometimes even after I'd asked around to see if there was anything I could help with), although it didn't happen often.

Garbage

Former Employee - Blaster in Ladysmith, VA
    Former Employee - Blaster in Ladysmith, VA

I worked at VSE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was ok , some of my co workers were good to be around.

Cons

Layoff , No work, too much rules that most don't follow is you kiss butt.

My advice to Management is to quit

Horrible company with self centered executive management.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at VSE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There's no longer any "PROS" associated with VSE, as they've all been laid off, and it's a shame.
    Once the highly respected "Old Man" was forced out as the CEO this company has gone down hill. Maurice "Mo" Gauthier is an egotistical man who only cares about himself.

Cons

VSE is a "CON". The ELD Division, who is solely responsible for the past success of VSE, has been robbed of its profits and is now defunct. The men and women whom, for 19 years,made this company successful under the USARC contract, have all been laid off and left out to dry!

No severance, no thank you for X years of service! Just a layoff letter blaming the govt. for their problems.

Hamel Il. Closed
    San Antonio, Tx. Closed
    Ashland, Va. Closed
    Gatesville, Tx. Closed
    Ladysmith, Va. Closed
    Long Beach, Ms. Closing
    Texarkana, Ar. Closing

I would address the Board of Directors and the Investors to re-think the CEO.

Terrible

Former Employee - Mechanic Helper in Ruther Glen, VA
    Former Employee - Mechanic Helper in Ruther Glen, VA

I worked at VSE as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Close to home and off at 3:30pm

Cons

Veteran tax write off, Poor leadership, bad pay, favoritism.

Just shut the company down, our location in LadySmith shut down because you can't get contracts for it but yet the site lead is offered a large pay increase to stay on. Company is unAmerican, rule of thumb.. Take care of your guys.
    Semper Failure

Mentally Exhausting

Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at VSE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Made some great friends that I will carry through life. Nothing like bonding over adversity

Cons

Poor Salaries, Self-Serving Upper Management, lack of communication and being reminded daily that you are replaceable if you do not conform to the ideals of upper management

My advice to Management would be to listen to your employees for they are doing your bidding, in the trenches, in the field seeing firsthand the obstacles instead of being on the 4th floor aimlessly dictating with no real direction or experiences. The CEO is more concerned with what you are wearing as in if your shirt matches your jacket and your shoes are shined then putting forth a helping hand and assisting VSE in growth. Long term employees ( 10,20,30 yrs) are put on furlough for them to use up their leave all the while management knows that once their leave is out they will lay them off with no severance package. Faithful employees work consistently hard yet receive nothing in return other than hearing that they should be “grateful that they have jobs” and if they don’t like the environment then they can leave while upper management receives hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonuses and nothing is done for the employees that produce. Corporate VSE ( 4th floor) mandates that their overhead be consumed by the other departments within VSE yet turns around and punishes them for not turning over a big enough profit. It’s hard to turn over a profit when everyone has to consume Corporate’s overhead cost yet the 4th floor receives all the bonuses. Human Resources and Contracts follow the same philosophy of the CEO and snubs those that reach out for assistance. If you do not have a Gucci purse or a name brand jacket you are casted aside and treated like you are well beneath them. They will even go as far as having someone to visit your cubical and instruct you to always wear a jacket and tie ” or you will make them feel uncomfortable”. Let’s not even talk about their qualifications however it’s all about whose Daddy served in the Navy with the CEO. I’m sure if the Navy saw how VSE was being operated by one of their own they would be embarrassed and take away his “Navy card”. I for one am embarrassed to even say I work for VSE.

Disgusted by our "Leaders"

Current Employee - Contracts in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Contracts in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at VSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teamwork amongst peers and some co-workers that are like family. The pay is Average/good, but there are MANY who Ive seen that are truly underpaid and over worked. Nice new facility for the VSE HQs, close to metro, bus, delis, stores, and a fitness facilty in Metro Park.

Cons

Management and our Leaders (ET) want what is best for THEIR POCKETS only. We cut employees, so they can get bigger bonuses and checks. We reduce cost and force our team mates to find cost savings ways, however the ETs and Presidents live on a champagne budget. Employees are treated as replaceable, and forced to work unpaid OT because they are "salaried" and this goes unnotticed and swept under the rug.

Work one on one with Employees, have a training system in place. Dont throw your employees out on the field and expect them to know what to do. Cost reduction should be around the board and effect the ET and upper managements pockets as well. I dont think getting a million dollar bonus effected our CEO much while we laid off over 50+ employees and continue to have jobs lost each week. The morale here is at an all time low and eagerness to work is at 0A%---almost everyone here is looking for another job...asap.

Used to be better

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at VSE part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, okay benefits, good work-life balance

Cons

inconsistent leadership from the very top, more focus on shareholders than employees, rules that apply to employees apparently don't apply to senior managers

More volume and more relevancy of communication from senior levels to the workforce. More appreciation of hardworking employees EVEN IF that cuts into exorbitant senior manager bonuses.

Has been pretty great job during my short period of employment.

I have been working at VSE full-time

Pros

Company practices a high level of professionalism and safety. Great coworkers, staff and team leaders.

Cons

Company is on a contract basis. Just like in any contract companies, there are not guarantees for long-term career.

Do not even bother applying

Current Employee - Administrator in New Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Administrator in New Alexandria, VA

I have been working at VSE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be solid company enter Mo and downhill since

Cons

Upper management vetos small contracts which was the heart of the company now only large contracts are gone for and lost!

For the board enjoy the cash you make on the backs of the people you are forcing retirement or using the excuse of reduction in force Mo is working hard to earn that plus million dollars you are giving him the hard working people need to get out fast I am looking as soon as I can for the board wake up also good ole boy club alive and well show some skin move up the ladder

BLINDSIDED

I worked at VSE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

salary, some good people but most are leaving

Cons

management leaves youb in the dark

the head honcho is killing the compny