VSP Vision Care

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Jim McGrann

Good Place to Work

Sacramento, CA

ProsBenefits are excellent and business is doing well as it has over the last few decades. Lots of room for advancement. People tend to work here for a very long time. Excellent co-workers.

ConsCulture has changed over the last few years but that is somewhat of a necessity to keep up with the competition.

A company that cares not only about it's clients but about it community and it's employees.

Project Specialist (Current Employee)
    Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsIf you are proactive, take pride in your work, want to continue growing personally and professionally, this is the place to work. Every opportunity is given to help employee's strive to new levels. We are serious about our roles but take time to laugh as well. Classes on campus help us learn to communicate with each other, understanding goals and how we are dependent on each other. We help not only the local community in which we live but are committed to Globally empowering people to see.

ConsTake a stodgy old waterfall insurance company, add several new lines of business, some people who do not care to change and add an agile methodology to the mix. It is a period of change and transition. I happen to love the changes and think it has brought new live to us as a whole. But there are still those are having trouble changing with the times.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are so intent on members but if you look at our Client and Broker portals, they are way behind the times. How do you expect Clients and Brokers to sell VSP when we do not service them to meet their needs in doing business?

A great company to work for, and here is why.

Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros• VSP has the best training department I know of. Courses for professional and personal growth take place almost daily in-person and via webinar.
    • Many companies say they encourage wellness and taking care of yourself; this company goes way beyond that, and gives you cash bonuses for participating in their wellness programs. Very cool.
    • We’re encouraged and expected to have our voice heard during meetings. It’s part of our job to step up and be part of the conversation. Nobody pulls rank and we’re all equal during discussions.
    • The dedication to technology is awesome, from “this is cool” to “this is something we need to hop on to advance our business” to “how can we use this to flatten the competition?”
    • Salary and benefits are terrific, and I own more pairs of sunglasses than I can wear in 100 years.

ConsThere is a high level of pressure to perform, which, considering what the company offers us in return, is fair and to be expected by most of us, who want to work hard every day and then go home. This isn't a stressful place when you remember that we're all on the same team.

Advice to Senior ManagementFeedback, encouragement, praise, constructive criticism, and consideration for openings in your department are always appreciated by us down here in the trenches.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and build career oriented skills

Provider Relations (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsThe organization has allowed me to grow and enhance my skills. I have been fortunate enough to participate in many projects from D/I activities, innovation activities and be part of the decision making process for organizational changes. The company cares about the growth of their employees, and provides the means for employees to grow.

ConsCurrently I do not have any cons to list

Great Place to Work

Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsInnovation is valued; Risk taking is expected; Great work-life balance; Career opporutnities Fantastic benefits

ConsPerhaps the biggest con is a "consensus approach" to moving forward.

Not what it used to be

Customer Care Representative (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsGood pay, Supervisors always willing to help and give recognition for good job performance.

ConsVery busy, constant changes, new plans. Very little flexibility with schedules

I feel I can make a difference here!

Customer Care Representative (Current Employee)
    Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsAll of our opinions are important and are appreciated. Our company is very diverse. They want all of the employees to be valued and count no matter what culture we come from.

ConsWould like to be paid more.

Amazing Company with Endless Opportunities

Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee)
    Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsI've absolutely loved coming to VSP from the small, private company I previously worked for. VSP is my first corporate experience, and though I was nervous, this will be my home for the rest of my career. There are endless advancement opportunities, training classes, a tremendous support system from my leadership team, and a family environment on my particular team. Everyone is helpful, considerate, and no one is ever too busy to answer a question or help when I may need it. It's been a very positive experience and I'm thrilled to have been able to get into such an amazing corporation!!!

ConsSome challenges are: more competition, ambiguity and constant change. If you're not comfortable with change, you may struggle here, but there are training classes to help you adapt. I also struggle with respecting some of my leadership team because they lack the skills that I feel MAKE a great leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice I'd like to offer to upper management at VSP is to carefully review some of the supervisors to evaluate their leadership skills. I feel that some of the supervisors I've come in contact with don't have the company's best interests in mind, and are only "out for themselves." There are too many employees here to not think about how leadership's decisions affect the entire company.

Collaborative work environment with high expectations

Communication Manager (Current Employee)
    Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsGenerous benefits (the best 401k plan I've seen in my career), interesting work, and a great mission we can all stand behind. The people here all work hard and are generally happy to help out when you need it. Leadership approach is very open-door; this is the first company I've worked at where I can schedule time with the President or CEO without any hoops to jump through.

ConsThe biggest challenge is the rate of change--it's the only constant here (not sure if that's a con--I appreciate it).

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better to your employees, and model the behavior you expect to see.

Working on improvement

Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsGreat work-life balance, great benefits

ConsSome long-timer management make it difficult for the new execs to make cultural and technical changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementCounsel or cut the deadwood. New ideas cannot be implemented without support all the way down the chain. Hire some really top talent and don't be afraid to pay for them.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for VSP Vision Care? Contribute to the Community!

VSP Vision Care Videos

VSP Vision Care – Why Work for Us?

VSP® Vision Care, the largest not-for-profit vision benefits and services company in the United States, is part of VSP Global®, a growing not-for-profit company with multiple businesses focused on a single mission: We… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VSP Vision Care reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for VSP Vision Care CEO Jim McGrann. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by VSP Vision Care employees.