VSP Vision Care Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Jim McGrann

Pros
  • Innovation is valued; Risk taking is expected; Great work-life balance; Career opporutnities Fantastic benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, great benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Used to be close knit like a family, now its just a cold call center (in 4 reviews)

• VSP has a habit of burning their employees out (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Environment allows high performers to flourish. Many opportunities for advancement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at VSP Vision Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovation is becoming more and more central to the business model both within corporate culture and in our downtown Sacramento innovation hub (aka. The SHOP). We also have an east coast branch of The SHOP. Our CEO is incredibly forward-thinking. All leadership has an open-door policy, including our CEO. Benefits are great and comprehensive. While pay may not be the highest, it is benchmarked globally and is reasonably competitive. For those looking to build a career, the many lines of business at our Rancho Cordova headquarters offer endless opportunities. For those just getting out of college and not knowing where to begin, the call center is an incredible way to get your foot in the door and build a foundation both for moving up within or outside the company. HR offers a comprehensive list of career development classes. Diversity and fun are inherent in VSP's culture.

Cons

Some positions offer greater work-life balance while others do not. Members of leadership often struggle to connect with employees consistently during peak season.

Advice to Management

Many of the initiatives introduced by HR seem to be impersonal and political. VSP needs to learn to present itself in a more authentic way both internally and externally, especially to younger employees and younger members. Innovation is not just coming up with great ideas for current customers. It's important to not fall behind or the company will quickly lose relevancy.

Seasonal employee

Former Employee - Seasonal Optical Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Optical Technician in Sacramento, CA

I worked at VSP Vision Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. People who really care about how their fellow coworkers are doing on and off the job. Truly work as a great team to get the job done. They also have great benefits.

Cons

The only downside I could see is the rate of pay. But with additional school and job promotions this can be easily overcome

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I have never worked for a company that really cares about its employees as you do. Being able to understand your employees and what they may be going through is priceless...

Great, innovative workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at VSP Vision Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

innovative, business casual, agile, good work-life balance, treats employees very well, tries to keep everyone accountable, employees are laid back and fun, salary is pretty good (but can always be better), cafe is amazing, lots of fitness activities provided, definitely promote those who work hard

Cons

lifers have a hard time adjusting to change and accepting ideas from younger profressionals, not an easy place to move up to manager-status, cubicles are not the greatest - feels 1970s, quite political, changes structure quite a bit

Advice to Management

force lifers to experience other departments so they get out of the comfort zone.

5. A wonderful place to work.

Former Contractor - Programmer Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Contractor - Programmer Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at VSP Vision Care as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful peaceful place, lots and loads of fun while you work there. Adapting to Agile in most of the teams, wonderfully most experienced people (lot in number) who have worked for over a decade. One of the growing companies' day by day. Cost of living around the company is pretty low for California. Diversity and wide range of employees.

Cons

12-month contract rule sucks. By the time you get used to it and understand everything and ready to achieve something, your end date has arrived.

Good Company To Work For

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at VSP Vision Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful Supervisor, Good Pay, Good Benefits, Cake Day, Customer Service Week, and Co-Workers

Cons

Volt! The WORST thing that has EVER happened to VSP! It's time to go back to the days of the call center simulation test and good old fashioned in person interviews.

Advice to Management

My advice to the powers that be who do the hiring of call center supervisors, MAKE THEM GO THROUGH THE SAME TRAINING A CSR GOES THROUGH SO THEY CAN APPRECIATE THE AMOUNT OF KNOWLEDGE WE ACTUALLY RETAIN AND SO THEY CAN TAKE OVER SOME OF THE RIDICULOUS CALLS WE GET FROM TIME TO TIME! MAYBE, just maybe we will get a little more respect....

7. Senior Manager of Compliance

Current Employee - Senior Manager Compliance in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Compliance in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at VSP Vision Care (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, teamwork is valued, work life balance is important, on site cafe and exercise program. Community service is important

Cons

Salary is lower than market, do not have the best health benefits.

Advice to Management

Evaluate positions based on market and value vice compared to other manager positions internally.

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Folsom, CA

I worked at VSP Vision Care (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, some good Supervisors, and convenient location.

Cons

I worked for VSP for 8 years. First few years under older management were great, newer management started a spiral for the company. Decided to go global, and that is when the you know what hit the fan. Work Force Management was implemented, suddenly the values that kept VSP as one of the better companies to work for went down hill. Insurance is very complicated and in this call center environment you never know what the next call will be. The Work Force Management that was implemented was basically a way to sift out the more tenured employees. Anybody, who reads this will know that insurance is very complicated, when a client, customer or provider calls the call center they almost always are requesting information on how, where and how much is this going to cost me to use this insurance. We use to have ample time to explain (pre workforce management implementation) all the aspects of using the insurance. With the new program implementation that time was cut in half, yet VSP was still expecting you to hit all the key info notes on using the insurance. This is what finished me with this company.

Advice to Management

I hope you will reflect on all the good employees you let go, and use it as a means to go forward as opposed to backwards. You have some great employees now don't ruin it with your greed to fill your own pockets. Roger Levine never would have let this happen.

Was a great place to work for until new management destroyed what was special about it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at VSP Vision Care

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits (see below) , friendly co-workers that made you feel like you where part of the team, good vacation plans, company picnics and holidays

Cons

New management out of touch with day to day IT work management that has never worked a IT job has unrealistic expectations of employees, "do more with less" is the montra at VSP so much that they downsize depts and explect the remaing few employees to do the work that used to be done by a team double sometimes triple the size. Upper management outsourcing key job functions to foreign countries ( entire helpdesk and desktop support teams) has had a huge impact on IT depts ability to meet high standards set by upper management added costs for benefits keep rising but pay increases do not match, over the course of 4 years I was making less than when I started due to increases in benefits cost

Advice to Management

restructure your IT dept and bring key jobs back inside the company, quit downsizing IT dept and expecting 3 employees to do the work of 10 offer better wages if you intent on increasing employee benefit contribution

10. VSP is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at VSP Vision Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement, positive support from supervisors to promote within, company mixers and volunteer opportunities to get your group to socialize outside of work, and company yearly bonus.

Cons

the need to adjust there pay structure for admins who do most of the work for higher executives and better benefits since we are a insurance company.

Advice to Management

Adjust your pay structure for admins who do a lot of work for executives and management and richer benefits for employees.

11. VSP is a great place to get some valuable experience and learn a lot.

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at VSP Vision Care

Pros

Relaxed workplace. At times can be a lot of fun. Great benefits. Lots of free classes on improving your skill set. Good work-life balance.

Cons

VSP is not known for paying their employees fair market value. There are a lot of huge egos in upper management. The company is so big that there is a lot of redundant work going because communication is poor between different lines of business. You can say that about most large corporate environments though.

Advice to Management

Communication is always an issue. Leadership needs to be a little more approachable. I am not talking about walking into someones office and asking for a 15 minute chat session, but if you are walking the same direction down a hallway, it's ok to speak to the people that work for you.

RSS Feed </> Embed