VTT

VTT Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Possibilities are endless for the motivated self-starters

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Oulu (Finland)

Pros- Relaxed and informal office culture, and great colleagues (we spend free time together)!
    - Long holidays (30 d/a), and flexible working hours
    - Best brains in Northern Europe as colleagues - someone will know the answer to your problem!
    - Project management responsibility early in career, possibility to affect on the contents of the research projects and work on the topics of your interests

Cons- Getting funding for research projects is difficult, and there is little money allocated for project preparation (even though it takes time!)
    - The research infrastructure is generally good, but some of the hardware (scientific instruments) is a bit worn-out and outdated. Replacement investments are scarce and their processing takes a long time. It is embarrasing to work with customers using old instruments.
    - Salary is (to my experience) 10 % lower when compared to similar positions in industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommon direction is missing

Amazing colleagues to work with

Senior Scientist (Former Employee)

ProsColleagues are skillful, intelligent and helpful. I absolutely loved to work with them.
    Very long holidays and a short work week (36 h)

ConsThe worst thing was to hear from more than one customer that agreements are not respected
    Management is very formal and inflexible, Administration from the Stone Age

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, learn Lean and Leadership

Good opportunity for individual work, bad for team work

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Espoo (Finland)

Pros- if you are lucky, you can do anything you like
    - not too many meetings, so the project management does not often disturb the actual work

Cons- too many managers and other support staff
    - relatively low salary, little bonuses
    - too many organization changes that don't really help
    - bad software development practices

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

VTT Technical Research Center of Finland

Senior/Principal Scientist (Current Employee) Turku (Finland)

Prosyou'll find someone for pretty much all fields you're interested in here... exchange of expertise is truly multidisciplinary.
    People are usually very friendly and helpful, in particular scientists and technicians, technical staff as well as computer/IT people.

ConsBig organization - often poorly coordinated and slow in decision making. When decisions are finally made - sometimes its too late. Or you hear too late about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your people serious - and treat them more respectfully. We are not in old Soviet times any more. There is no need for a top down, attitude towards employees of any kind. Simply replying to an email may already be very helpful - which rarely happens, and even more rarely - in time. More transparency for almost any decisions would be helpful as well. Often decisions are made somehow, somewhere, nobody knows who ... and communicated very poorly.

Work is best when managers are least

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Espoo (Finland)

ProsExcellent facilities and trained professionals and technicians to work with

ConsLack of focus and direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore priority to technology and experts and less to business models

Very rewarding to work with some of the best brains in the world.

ProsCollaboration with key global R&D institutions, main technology transfer body towards Finnish industry, very competent experts, freedom to be creative and innovative, support and respect for all.

ConsCold Finnish winters and dark nights, move towards open office work environment, still need for more non-Finnish researchers, more opportunities for students needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementVTT has made substantial progress in the last five years. It is now time to continue this momentum and expand VTT's R&D basis to a global level rather than a select few countries.

Could be just the team, but it's a wrong place to work for a software engineer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Espoo (Finland)

ProsDown-to-earth colleagues
    Bosses are nice, usually not bossy
    Enough personal time
    International opportunities available
    Long annual vacation
    Good working environment (offices)

ConsUnqualified managers on management positions, lack of leadership and management skills
    Bureaucracy on lots of things
    Research institute therefore not good for software engineers for you are expected to be someone else
    Many people are lack of motivation, too pessimistic, or in-confident

Advice to Senior ManagementHire those who really know how to manager for the manager position.
    Figures are important, but not much as people, keeping them motivated, letting them feel appreciated and respected.
    Wind down the bureaucracy. Stop using Vertti that has wasted many hours of every one.

Worked for VTT? Contribute to the Community!