VWR International Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

VWR International Interim CEO & SVP Manuel Brocke-Benz
Manuel Brocke-Benz

Pros
  • work-life balance was satisfactory compared to other companies (in 10 reviews)

• years are really great coaches, great people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The sales reps are now getting dumped on and it's really screwed up morale (in 8 reviews)

• There is little interaction between senior management and the average worker in the US (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

great learning experience

Former Employee - Salses Direct  in  Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Salses Direct in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at VWR International full-time for more than a year

Pros

unseen layoffs with no warning

Cons

all good except no one at tops seemed involved

they need more accountability and less managers

Frustrating, horrible place to work!

Current Employee - Material Handlet  in  Bridgeport, NJ
    Current Employee - Material Handlet in Bridgeport, NJ

I have been working at VWR International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lately there are no pros about working as a warehouse associate at VWR in Bridgeport, NJ.

Cons

The management doesn't know what they are doing from the top bosses down to the pion warehouse supervisors. They are concerned with the almighy dollar & they are looking to fire you for any reason. They want quality but they stress quantity & if you don't make your "number" they fire you! They are looking to have people work there for $11.00 an hour. I have been there a long time & believe me it went downhill in the last 5 years!

Get off you butts & learn how to manage without LM system!

A Ship With No Rudder and a Hole in the Bottom

Former Employee - Major Accounts Manager  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Major Accounts Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at VWR International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They hired me when I was 50 and paid me well until I retired at 65. Their (formerly) good health insurance covered 100% of major surgery. There are (or were) some fantastic people there.

Cons

If it ain't broken, then break it seems to be the philosophy. Customer Centric Selling was a multi-million dollar waste which brought out the worst in everyone. It was not a fit and many good people were fired for refusing to drink the Kool-Aid. Marketing has been woefully lacking for years. The sales force and managers are on a never ending merry-go-round of tasks other than selling. Only ideas originating in Radnor will be listened to. The sales force is ALWAYS to blame if sales aren't where they should be. And the solution is always the same - fire the rep/manager OR rely on the pay plan to starve them out. Get a giant order this year - they will get it all back next year because you will get no quota relief for a big, one-time order. The corporate accounts team is like a little league ball club compared to Thermo Fisher's men-in-black-suits pros. They lose nearly every time they play but the roster and the game plan never improves. And last but far from least, when I retired, the HR department designated me as "terminated." And my boss was the only one who recognized the event - he gave me a pen and then they fired him. And his boss too.

Sell off the U.S. operation while you still can. Focus on Europe and the R.O.W. countries. You have no plan, and Thermo has won. Raise the white flag here while there is still time. Make Sigma Aldrich an offer they can't refuse. Get out of the U.S. while there is still time. There is a big hole in your boat and you can't stop the leak. The U.S. is like the 500lb man on a blimp that's leaking helium. What do you do with him?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at VWR International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lifestyle is great. Great work life balance.

Cons

Salary. You need to continue to push for raises

Benefits

Great company to grow with!

I have been working at VWR International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Super flexible, make your own schedule, promote within.

Cons

Has it ups and down just like any company, pay could be better

Pay your reps well and give them opportunity to help grow the business both bottom line and top

Employees at this company are Dishonored

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at VWR International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits-health and dental.Great co-workers to work and learn from. Most employees have been here for more that 8 years,so they very knowledgeable of their jobs and duties.

Cons

Worst management team I have worked for.Suwanee facility only allows 1 error per month, 2 errors your career is out the door.No growth opportunities or employee input on anything.Employee moral is very low as workers fear for their jobs.Human resource department sweeps all complaints and issues under the rug so the facility can look real good for corporate.

Suwanee facility need a complete management overhaul. Do not work here if your looking for a career.

So, So

I have been working at VWR International

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, learning opportunities, education reimbursement, ability to work from home occasionally

Cons

Fight for a pay raise, standards for co-workers are not the same, lazy and unprofessional co-workers

Utterly frustrating and demoralizing place to work.

Former Employee - Region Sales Manager  in  Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Region Sales Manager in Radnor, PA

I worked at VWR International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They can pay well but only if you threaten to quit (and they want to keep you) or, have negotiated a a higher salary before you start.

Cons

There used to be leadership by a President for several years that actually understood the business and had worked his way up through the company. That person was unfortunately let go. In the following couple years after that, most of the managers or senior managers with tenure were let go as well. These were very sharp, solid character, well respected people only to be replaced with folks from outside of the industry that don't know what the heck is going on. The sales reps are now getting dumped on and it's really screwed up morale. Massive changes to business processes (that the previous managers knew wouldn't work) were rammed down everyone's throat, caused serious damage to business (as in the worst year in company history), and then switched it back to the way it used to be. It's very disheartening to see what's happened to this company after having worked there for a very long time. The company is still a "sinking ship". Quite frankly, I'm very glad I'm no longer there.

It seems that anyone that had offered "advice" is no longer there. There is now a sad case of "The Emperor's New Clothes" going on.

Look Out For the Iceberg...

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative  in  Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Radnor, PA

I worked at VWR International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are a few good people left working at VWR, although they are becoming fewer and farther between. The benefits are decent.

Cons

Management is destroying this company, from the top down. You can find the occasional good manager in the mix but as soon as they are discovered they are briskly shown the door.

Former management (which wasn't perfect) knew the industry and knew their niche in the market space. They are all gone and have been replaced. New management has taken what used to be a good, customer-focused sales organization and done away with the customer-service part of the business. They "threw the baby out with the bath water" and now have a sinking ship on their hands and either don't recognize it or don't care.

In my opinion, they have squeezed every dollar of profit out of the business that they can and now they are just hanging on, trying to run as lean as they can, hoping someone will buy this disaster from them. All the while, they are cutting back, applying pressure on their employees, making everyone worry that their job will end tomorrow and leveraging every tool they have at the end of the quarter to make sure that they get the biggest bonus check that they can.

I suspect they don't really take advice but if they did I would say to move on and get some replacements in that care more about the customer and the long-term health of the company than the current regime.

Former Employee

Former Employee - Quotes Coordinator- Fed Government  in  Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - Quotes Coordinator- Fed Government in Suwanee, GA

I worked at VWR International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work-life balance was satisfactory compared to other companies

Cons

Office politics overshadow work being done.

Worked for VWR International? Contribute to the Community!