Vacations To Go

R Alan Fox

So Far So Good

Current Employee - Cruise Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cruise Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The incubation period is 4 months and the training is very thorough. It is a bit scary when you are taking your first phone calls, but it is a great environment.
    They give you a week vacation when you finish certain training exercises, and you learn a lot about the cruise industry.

Cons

The schedule sucks for newbys, but it is a learning curve.

Long Hours Risk and Reward

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, vacation rewards, comfortable environment.

Cons

Long hours, weekend work, no benefits, non paid time off.

It was a great opportunity

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good opportunity if you know how to ask for the sale and build rapport

Cons

No Cons. Everything was perfect

Let employees work at home after a year or good track record.

Great place to start your job experience, but nobody stays

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unlimited income potential. Relaxed dress code (jeans, collared shirt and tennis shoes are acceptable.) Decent bonus structure if you're willing to work more than 40 hours a week. Meetings are motivational. Executive Management is pretty reasonable. You'll make a lot of good friends here. Extremely diverse workplace - all ethnicities and ages (from 22 to 70.) You can also make decent money ($50K+) if you stay 4+ years as you will build up your client base. Sales Agents receive the best compensation (avoid going into management.)

Cons

Customer Service always sides with the clients and often gives your commission back to the client. Requires 40+ hours a week to make more than $50K per year. Middle management (Directors, Department Managers and Team Managers) are clueless. If you learn the basics and can resolve your own issues (which most people can do,) you'll be fine. But if you have to go to anyone above you for help, you may be shooting yourself in the foot. No vacation permitted January - March unless you have been with the company 5+ years (no exceptions.) Company tries to do fun theme days, but some are a disaster (Rock 'n Roll Day was a flop with almost 0% participation out of 750 employees.) DO NOT GO INTO MANAGEMENT. They make it sound like it's a step up, but for most people it is a pay cut. Managers are paid a salary so they're restricted to their income potential. Low-performing agents are often targeted for management positions because 1) top performers can afford the pay cut and 2) the low performers see it as a pay raise since they can't sell very well.

Something is about to go down with this company - they have recently been firing senior management and making changes some manager compensation. Rumor has it that they are either going public or being sold. Either way, drastic cuts are being made to make the company look more profitable.

Use one week per year and get back on the phones. Things have changed since you were an agent. The outdated techniques provided by the Directors no longer work.

You determine your income

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great earning potential and great perks. I think this is one of the best sales jobs out there. All of the leads are inbound, and we are selling a fun product. A lot is done to keep agents happy in the office and employee suggestions are used to continue improving. Training is paid, and the training program is very thorough. Anyone who wants to be successful here is able to. The dress code is casual, work environment is fun, and the company picnics and holiday party are fun events outside of the office. Many opportunities for free and discounted travel.

Cons

The hours for new agents are nights and weekends. Eventually you are able to move up to earlier hours or different days off, but it can be difficult for some people to adjust to the schedule at first. It can get a little repetitive sometimes.

Love This Place (and I can't believe everyone doesn't)!

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All of the leads are inbound, with no cold-calling. I haven't made a cold-call in years, and hope I never have to again. This is truly the perfect job if you can stay self motivated. It's all up to you, to basically run your day yourself. I've been on over 10 vacations for free, I make good money, and I get to talk about travel all day. Plus, the company has picnics twice a year, free ice cream every month, a crazy holiday party. What's not to like?

Cons

The hours aren't great for new people, but they get better. If you can't stay self-motivated, this isn't the place for you. I'm not sure about the other commenters here, but I've seen it before. A sales rep here complains that they aren't making enough money, but then they spend half of their day socializing and never answer the phone. You get out what you put in, simple as that.

Keep commuincating, and keep working to improve!

Over 100k annually, a bit repetitive...

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to make over 100k in your second year here (still working 40 hours a week). Most don't give it that much time, hence the negative reviews. Good training program. Management is a mixed bag, some great, some incompetent, but that's everywhere. Travel perks are amazing. If you're going to apply be aware of your phone voice and diction as that comes across on the phone. All leads are inbound and mostly pre-qualified.

Cons

Not a lot of culture. Bad schedules when you first start. You have to earn your schedule. Only closed Christmas and Thanksgiving. Some team managers micro-manage. Call center environment but better pay and perks than most.

Fairly nice, but we never see them with the exception of team managers.

Decent Place

I worked at Vacations To Go

Pros

Earning potential is pretty good

Cons

Can be a bit repetitive

VTG is a CALL CENTER...nothing more...

Former Employee - Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some travel benefits, but the company keeps most and awards them as prizes.

Cons

I worked at VTG for about a year and I never met the owner of the company - he's on cruise-line sponsored vacations throughout the year. The president has his own "clique" and you're not in it! I never saw him on the floor while working there either.

When the Sr. Director of Cruises left (a tenured and very well-liked member of management), the president sent out a one-line email offering no positive comments.

Department management is usually given to anyone who will take the position - it's certainly not based upon people skills or educational attainment.

You are hired as part of a "training class" and fed into the various departments at completion. Upon arrival in the department, the tenured people told our class to look for a job immediately - they all had their resumes out. Our class of sixteen (March 2013) has three people still employed there. It is a revolving door - three new training classes are constantly running through new hire training.

All of the floors have various "lunch rooms" where most people bring their food for the day because most employees can't afford to eat out. Don't drink too much while you're working though - there's so many people packed into the departments that there's generally a wait to use the bathroom.

If you work a late shift, you will be walking through a dark, open (not fenced-in) parking lot late at night. Bring a can of mace or other protection.

Work here as a last resort...

Learn some leadership skills...

Horrible Horrible Horrilbe

Former Employee - Master Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Master Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make money in exchange for your soul! There are a handfull pulling 6 figures with the average sales person making 30k .

Cons

Management is a complete joke. There is no company culture. Training is minimal. Team managers focus on team members that they will bonus from. If you work here you better document everything and I mean everything. If a customer says that they were supposed to get something and it is not documented that they in fact do not, even if they are not entitled to it management will give away out of your commission. Commission paid is too low. Bonus structure sucks. I mean I can go on and on. Hours are terrible when you are new and will not get better until you have been there for almost 4 years. Even though you will be hired as a sales person you will be the main contact for service as well. Servicing clients will take a ton of time. Then you will be "talked to" for not taking enough leads.

Listen to your employees. Your company culture sucks. Do something about that.

Vacations To Go Photos