Vacations To Go

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.4

R Alan Fox

Love This Place (and I can't believe everyone doesn't)!

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All of the leads are inbound, with no cold-calling. I haven't made a cold-call in years, and hope I never have to again. This is truly the perfect job if you can stay self motivated. It's all up to you, to basically run your day yourself. I've been on over 10 vacations for free, I make good money, and I get to talk about travel all day. Plus, the company has picnics twice a year, free ice cream every month, a crazy holiday party. What's not to like?

Cons

The hours aren't great for new people, but they get better. If you can't stay self-motivated, this isn't the place for you. I'm not sure about the other commenters here, but I've seen it before. A sales rep here complains that they aren't making enough money, but then they spend half of their day socializing and never answer the phone. You get out what you put in, simple as that.

Keep commuincating, and keep working to improve!

Over 100k annually, a bit repetitive...

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to make over 100k in your second year here (still working 40 hours a week). Most don't give it that much time, hence the negative reviews. Good training program. Management is a mixed bag, some great, some incompetent, but that's everywhere. Travel perks are amazing. If you're going to apply be aware of your phone voice and diction as that comes across on the phone. All leads are inbound and mostly pre-qualified.

Cons

Not a lot of culture. Bad schedules when you first start. You have to earn your schedule. Only closed Christmas and Thanksgiving. Some team managers micro-manage. Call center environment but better pay and perks than most.

Fairly nice, but we never see them with the exception of team managers.

Decent Place

I worked at Vacations To Go

Pros

Earning potential is pretty good

Cons

Can be a bit repetitive

VTG is a CALL CENTER...nothing more...

Former Employee - Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some travel benefits, but the company keeps most and awards them as prizes.

Cons

I worked at VTG for about a year and I never met the owner of the company - he's on cruise-line sponsored vacations throughout the year. The president has his own "clique" and you're not in it! I never saw him on the floor while working there either.

When the Sr. Director of Cruises left (a tenured and very well-liked member of management), the president sent out a one-line email offering no positive comments.

Department management is usually given to anyone who will take the position - it's certainly not based upon people skills or educational attainment.

You are hired as part of a "training class" and fed into the various departments at completion. Upon arrival in the department, the tenured people told our class to look for a job immediately - they all had their resumes out. Our class of sixteen (March 2013) has three people still employed there. It is a revolving door - three new training classes are constantly running through new hire training.

All of the floors have various "lunch rooms" where most people bring their food for the day because most employees can't afford to eat out. Don't drink too much while you're working though - there's so many people packed into the departments that there's generally a wait to use the bathroom.

If you work a late shift, you will be walking through a dark, open (not fenced-in) parking lot late at night. Bring a can of mace or other protection.

Work here as a last resort...

Learn some leadership skills...

Horrible Horrible Horrilbe

Former Employee - Master Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Master Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make money in exchange for your soul! There are a handfull pulling 6 figures with the average sales person making 30k .

Cons

Management is a complete joke. There is no company culture. Training is minimal. Team managers focus on team members that they will bonus from. If you work here you better document everything and I mean everything. If a customer says that they were supposed to get something and it is not documented that they in fact do not, even if they are not entitled to it management will give away out of your commission. Commission paid is too low. Bonus structure sucks. I mean I can go on and on. Hours are terrible when you are new and will not get better until you have been there for almost 4 years. Even though you will be hired as a sales person you will be the main contact for service as well. Servicing clients will take a ton of time. Then you will be "talked to" for not taking enough leads.

Listen to your employees. Your company culture sucks. Do something about that.

Good company to make a lot of money

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel agents can make a lot of money if they work more than 40 hours a week, no cold calling which is a plus for inside sales

Cons

If you are not a top performer, you will never get a hello from upper management or any encouragement. The top performers don't need encouragement, it is the agent who is almost there , who need a little pat on the back

Management structure stinks. You have a VP, Director, then Assistants. You never know who is in charge of the department or who really makes the decision. Promotions are based on who likes you not what you know. Positive, the COO and CEO are friendly and easy to approach

Sales

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Bad hours and talking to idiots

Get with it

Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good money, great for a sales career

Cons

no upward mobility, customers can be rude and expect the impossible

Redundant but financialy rewarding

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can make work as much as you want unlimited earning potential great bonus structure.

Cons

Doing the same thing everyday.

Terrible senior leadership but a good way to make some cash if you're in sales

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time

Pros

Good stepping stone
    When working sales, you can earn as much as you are willing to work for
    Upward mobility from sales to support staff is available

Cons

Extremely high turnover
    No company culture
    No upward mobility into senior leadership roles
    No marketing department
    Low salaries for those who move out of direct sales and can't take new leads

Build a real culture at the company instead of treating salespeople like a commodity.

Vacations To Go Photos