Vaco

Vaco Reviews

Updated Mar 22, 2014

Jerry Bostelman

Fun Culture and Freedom

I have been working at Vaco full-time for more than a year

ProsVaco has a great culture, very collaborative and fun is the best way to put it. There is no micromanagement but results are important. Training has improved immensely and high performers are supported. I've had a great initial experience working at Vaco and plan to be here for a long while. Management treats their recruiting assets with respect and there is a great opportunity to work with some of the best professionals in the recruiting field (not one of the the biggest, but absolutely one of the best groups of anchor partners).

ConsVaco made a seemingly less than optimal choice with its ATS system/strategy which hampers usage in some locations; the good news is that a new ATS is being rolled out in 2014. Marketing in general (website and collateral) could be stronger.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am very satisfied with management and with Vaco. There is a nice balance of fair pay (not the highest and not the lowest), employee interaction and guidance along with plenty of personal growth opportunity/potential.

Unprofessional.

Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Vaco full-time

ProsBenefits were pretty decent. Office location was nice.

ConsThey have no idea what they are doing, the lack of leadership is abysmal, sure they will send you out to Nashville and give you a good time and pump you up. But once you get back and get that first paycheck, if you are low on the totem pole....quite the shock. Don't try to give ideas or suggestions. The fear that you know might know something more than them, scares them and they will shut you down; was glad to get out.

Great contract company to work for

Senior Lotus Notes Developer (Former Employee)
Long Beach, CA

I worked at Vaco as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNo hassles, great people, prompt paychecks (weekly). I would gladly work for them again (and I have worked for them in the past, too). They throw a real nice holiday dinner party for their contractors, too.

ConsI can't really think of any downsides. My "pimp", Diana Lo, was great to work with, and I hope to work with them again in the future.

Excellent Service

Payroll Analyst (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at Vaco as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsVaco is very attentive to their contractors as well as the client. I love there planned events to network with fellow contractors,

ConsI like to have had health insurance.

Advice to Senior Managementoffer insurance.

Everything Vaco told me was honest and accurate.

IT Developer (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Vaco full-time for more than a year

ProsFair wage and a very honest company...the Dallas office!

ConsThere are no Cons to speak of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the course!

Mediocrity disguised as innovation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Vaco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company has very few rules and regulations, which can be a positive when trying to develop business. There is quite a bit of flexibility in the job, overall.

ConsVery little training or infrastructure available for internal employees. This company would sell the shirt off of your own back and tell you it's new and improved. Most of the sales team is adept at spinning a situation, and they are willing to do whatever it takes to close the deal and get paid. Employees are encouraged to compete and backbite against each other, and internal strife runs rampant in several offices.

It's a work hard, play hard culture and most of the all company meetings are riddled with excessive drinking and partying. The senior leadership is disconnected, and the little line management that exists does not have enough experience or leadership ability. It's a good old boys club, and those who don't fit into that mold are systematically driven out of the company. The compensation plan does not incentivize internal growth, and seems to be focused on padding the pockets of the investment partners.

Advice to Senior ManagementClamp down on unethical business practices and foster a culture of teamwork.

Temp job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Brandon, FL

I worked at Vaco full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat pay, enjoyed the work, great management. I would definitely work for them again if I stilled lived near Tampa, Florida

ConsThe job was only a few weeks long. There isn't really much to say in the way of cons, except I wish I could have been hired for further positions, but I moved.

Excellent Opportunities

I have been working at Vaco

ProsGreat place to feel connected to an entire network of opportunities. People treat you like you are a unique individual, not just a number. Very well known in the community, which leads to a quick solution for your company needs.

ConsThey have an office space that we wish would hold over 100 people for our meetings. We'd love to use it!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on bringing new business to Nashville!

Interesting company....

Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Vaco full-time for more than a year

Pros- Very fun, entrepreneurial in its office structure. Each office sets its own expectation with some limited corporate oversight.
- Base salary is decent for industry standards.
- Each office is organized different and the people in other offices are great to partner with.
- Commission structure is better then high-volume staffing agencies.
- Not a metrics driven company, won't pull call records or beat you down for not hitting unrealistic numbers of submittals, interviews, placements, etc.

Cons- Very little training. Most people have been the industry before and know what they are doing. But the ones that haven't and are not in a mature office, good luck learning something.
- Can be a very political environment.
- Greed
- Very Business Development centric. Not held to any standard and quick to blame recruiters for unfillable job orders.
- Favoritism is very obvious with certain offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to grow and mature as a company. Great spirit and the owners are great, however needs to add some structure in order to grow in the manner that it wants. Also, needs to start holding everyone accountable (business development and recruiters) for success and failures.

Not part of the "in" crowd

Recruiter (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Vaco full-time for less than a year

ProsGood Benefits. Fun corporate environment. Good ATS. Fun Training in Nashville.

ConsIf you are not part of the clique they don't really try to bring you in. Everyone in the office had been there for a long time, since the beginning, but they are very hard to impress. I felt like I could not contribute and felt stiffled at every turn. I wanted to take care of some Social Media and was told that i could not. i never quite got along with the "sales" team. She constantly spoke down to me like I was stupid. I have been recruiting for 10 years and was made to feel like I didn't do enough. They had the expectation of 25 in person interviews a week. Hard to meet that quota. And after I finally had 10 people on the books I made less than $200 in commission. For the base salary to be so low. To be able to actually make money was impossible. Maybe for someone just starting out

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not the cool kid. Stop acting like you are better than everyone else. Respect the experience. Treat others how you would like to be treated.

Worked for Vaco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vaco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vaco CEO Jerry Bostelman. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Vaco employees.