Vail Resorts

Vail Resorts Reviews in Breckenridge, CO

Updated May 6, 2014

Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz

Rob Katz

Pros
  • Great benefits such as a free ski pass(in 68 reviews)

• You get a free ski pass and some discount passes for your friends(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • With the cost of living, the pay is basically minimum wage(in 9 reviews)

• There is not an overwhelming feeling that upper management cares for the staff(in 13 reviews)

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

About what I was expecting

Cashier (Current Employee) Breckenridge, CO

ProsFree lift pass, fun people to work with

ConsWith the cost of living, the pay is basically minimum wage. Hours typically aren't great either.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are miserably unorganized

Guest Services

Locker Attendant (Current Employee) Breckenridge, CO

ProsFriendly staff, management very willing to work with adjustment of schedules. The discounts that are associated with the job are nice - free parking at the South Gondola parking lot, 50% off of food, free ski pass for employee and spouse.

ConsHourly wage could be set higher.

Worth more to buy your own ski pass and work for a good company

Bartender, Server, Customer Svc (Former Employee) Breckenridge, CO

ProsYou get a free ski pass and some discount passes for your friends. You also can by discounted goods through promotive.com. Sometimes you can take ski breaks at work.

ConsEmployees are not treated with value. The company is your typical greedy monopoly driven machine. Getting sexually harassed at work? Tell your boss, he will most likely watch it happen, not give a damn, and just tell you to go to HR. The most important thing to Vail resorts is POLICIES AND PROFIT. I was shorted on 3 paychecks in a row. Vail will pretty much hire anyone with a degree and willing to make little money to management positions. This is a big problem. Your personality has nothing to do with getting hired. It is your willingness to follow policy not your ability to be good at your job. An employee has the wrong shoes on? Send them home. You forgot to order the wine for the week? oh well. I worked at a bar and for a month we literally had 3 out of the 10 beers in stock.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees. Work as a team not as an upper or lower class. Have enough pride to get the job done, but not too much to cause your employees to resent you. Be honest. Realize that just because your employees are seasonal, they are not stupid. Some of us have college education and are probably smarter than you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly managed, did not feel like a valued employee

Zip Line Attendant (Current Employee) Breckenridge, CO

ProsYou will receive a free ski pass.

Cons3+ weeks of shoveling everyday in the winter

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your employees feel like their worth something.

breckenridge lifty

Lift Operator (Current Employee) Breckenridge, CO

Pros- mountain living
    - free ski pass
    - near CMC (local community college)

Cons- lack of benefits
    - cost of living in breckendridge is really high!!
    - dealing with tourist (this can get emotional)
    - seasonal

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us a raise!

Great temporary job

Sales Agent (Current Employee) Breckenridge, CO

ProsSki Pass, ski pass, ski pass, ski pass

ConsYou can't afford to take a day off to use your ski pass

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the groundswell from below.

cool

Ski Instructor (Former Employee) Breckenridge, CO

Proslt is a good spot to work. I had a lot of fun on the slopes. You should be a snow person if you want this job.

Consyou are not going to get rich in this job.

Some Real Pros and Some Really Big Cons

Snowboard Instructor (Current Employee) Breckenridge, CO

ProsSkiing at the area is a blast, and I made some wonderful friends.

ConsWhere do I start? I had to work forever to get my insurance - something like 750 hours. They barely cut you a break on the cost of your food. The management has a poor opinion of it's workers, stating, "If you don't like it, you can move on." Our way or the highway is pretty much the culture. They have some very poor managers who have very little experience and the culture is just a bunch of ski bums who made good. They have pathetic transportation to and from the area. A bunch of us would get on in the evenings and it was completely unsafe - we must have had 50 people too many. No parking close to the area, you have to take a bus. This one manager was such a jerk to everyone and a bunch of us complained and she's still employed. Such a joke. Nobody cares. Nobody listens. And my paycheck! Pathetic. Who can afford $9.00 per hour? Not this ski bum.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some great managers and remember that you are supposed to be a people organization. You could care less about us little people and it shows. If it weren't for the snow, I would never return.

Great experience working for vail resorts in Breckinridge co

Ski Instructor (Former Employee) Breckenridge, CO

ProsManagement were all very nice and very will to help anytime they could. They were very flexible on the schedule and always offered additional training

ConsFound it hard to get connections into the corporate office while being in Breckenridge

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep things going strong

Nice to be at the resort, but poor work conditions.

Product Sales Agent (Former Employee) Breckenridge, CO

ProsGetting to work at a beautiful ski resort, free ski pass.

ConsOverly managed, un-stimulating, very low pay, incompetent managers and fellow employees, stressful clients

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more creative, fire dead weight

Worked for Vail Resorts? Contribute to the Community!