Vail Resorts

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz

Rob Katz

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work with opportunity to move up the ladder but minimal compensation.

Guest Services Agent (Former Employee)
    Keystone, CO

ProsGreat benefits such as a free ski pass

ConsPay is minimal for duties required

Great ski bum job

Reservations Agent (Former Employee)
    Keystone, CO

ProsGreat hours for skiing. Either off at 3pm to night ski or not in until 2pm. Everyone you work with is also a ski bum so great office mentality.

ConsMonotonous. Phone sales can really suck sometimes. Pay is awful. Have to deal with way too many irritating customers for how little they pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more and you won't see as much turnover.

Not the best, and not the worst

SPA Concierge (Current Employee)
    Keystone, CO

Prosbenefits like season pass, discounted tickets for friends and family, and more discounts and perks depending on where you work.

ConsWorker's comp is a mess, security for employees could be a lot better.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible experience

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Keystone, CO

ProsFree lift pass and some cool Co workers

ConsUnder paid work, poor management, no lunch breaks

I never been treated so unfairly and let go after all the hard work I put into their department.

For all the information I managed, my job could have easily been paid 15 an hour.... But because so many people are willing to work there for the free lift pass, everyone is expendable to them.

They will work you like a dog and spit you out.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees like slaves and defend them when there is a problem.

F&B Server

Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee)
    Keystone, CO

Prosfree lift pass to all major mountains, free employee meals, employee housing, employee dinners/meals, staff transportation

Conscorporate rules/environment, very strict, working holidays and extremely long hours

Reservations to my dream job in Marketing, hard work truly pays off!

Reservations & Travel (Current Employee)
    Keystone, CO

ProsGreat industry, stable company, invaluable experience and development opportunities. Strong leadership that cares for employees and helps them succeed in their goals.

ConsYou might miss a few powder days due to work :(

Vail resorts, good short term job

Reservations Agent (Current Employee)
    Keystone, CO

Prosski pass, fun co workers, great area to live in, benefits

Conspay is terrible, company doesn't care if you stay or go, everyone is replaceable.

No chance to move up, all the bosses are old ladies that have work in the same office for 20+ years. Promotions are there but you get a rise of about 25 cents and your workload will triple.

Advice to Senior Managementbuild long term, invest in your employees instead of just replacing the entire office every season. If you actually paid your year round employees a competitive amount they wouldn't be constantly leaving and you wouldn't be replacing them with fill in random people.

Great company. Play where you work!

Resort Sales Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Keystone, CO

ProsSeason pass that is available to ALL Vail Resorts ski resorts and many other! Currently thats over 15 individual mountains!!!!
    Huge company that is great experience, fun environment, everyone here loves the ski industry

ConsThe pay is less than you would expect. Its obviously a trade off, but not big enough to make you not be interested in working here.
    Employee housing has 3 different tiers: horrible, not good and decent. Respectively these are called Sagebrush ($250 per month), Sunrise ($350 per month) and Tenderfoot ($450 per month). Sagebrush (has been condemned multiple times, is comparable to a dumpster and) is a shared 10 x 15 room with a small bunk bed, a small closet and toilet inside with a sink; there are ZERO kitchen capabilities. Sunrise is larger room at 15 x 20 with your own sink but has a shared kitchen and bathroom with a shower. Tenderfoot (where I lived) was decent with your own room, bed closet and dresser. It is essentially an apartment with a full kitchen, bathroom and living room (although its nothing fancy at all).
    Working at the resort level is different than corporate. I have worked in both, but the people at the individual resorts are more laid back and relaxed, which is not to say they are uptight at the corporate office, just more of a variety of people and management styles. Management at the individual resort level is more relaxed because you actually live on (or very, very close to) the mountain and everyone is in the "Skiing for Life" mentality and enjoys a more relaxed lifestyle.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement cares and I dont think I met anyone in management that didnt or that I didnt feel was doing their job well. I met a few people who disagreed, but then again, they also always had a chip on their shoulder and a somewhat negative outlook on life.

Sweet Benefits!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Keystone, CO

ProsGreat work environment! Live in the mountains, play in the mountains!

ConsIf you don't like snow, it would be tough to enjoy living here.

It was just that, an experience. Not good, not horrific.

3-6 Ski Instructor (Former Employee)
    Keystone, CO

ProsEpic pass at no cost to the employee. You can get the hours if you're willing to work.

ConsA Walmart type atmosphere. CEO seems disillusioned with what Vail resorts is about. Bad pay scale. It's a business, they dot hide that and they're certain that that I your number 1 priority. Not safety, not customer experience, business. Management has little to no field experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, they could actually have good ideas on how business could improve with customer satisfaction.

Worked for Vail Resorts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vail Resorts reviews and ratings in Keystone, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Vail Resorts employees.