Vail Resorts Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz
Rob Katz

Pros
  • You get a free ski pass and some discount passes for your friends (in 79 reviews)

• Great benefits such as a free ski pass (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • 00 further adding to cost of living (in 11 reviews)

• No personality at all as a whole trickled down from upper management (in 15 reviews)

Increasingly impersonal environment

Current Employee - Ski Instructor in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Ski Instructor in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vail - great ski mountain. Personable, friendly employees Good health insurance

Cons

Beholden to stockholders first, manages for their returns. Pay not commensurate with experience and productivity metrics Corporate environment manages for policy, not people Murphy's Law supervisors not held accountable

Advice to Management

Take a solid look at your pay structure, not just for senior VPs and CEO. The word inside and outside your company is that your pay practices are exploitative.

2. I read all 36 pages of reviews. I see the need for change.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We share the same passion for the mountain lifestyle and all the activities associated. I have worked with some fantastic people and met many more. I think most of their employees do a great job. The resorts are wonderful destinations. I have been associated with Vail for 30 years. I have worked for them in the '80's and currently. I am also a shareholder & traded MTN. always with positive results. I see this from all perspectives. You will have to work long hard hours. That is just part of working in a busy seasonal resort with tourist whom ask a lot.

Cons

As noted here in many reviews there is a real lack of a reasonable cost of living hourly wage, a lack of financial incentives (such as tips, sign on bonus or end of season bonus or extra work incentive bonus), mainly any incentives at all. I have met many requirements set by V.A. either by return rate, sales, or 5 star comment performance. (just a thank you.) Some reviews have pointed out the vague policies and how they can be manipulated, changed, replaced, etc. at management discretion. That they are and can hire or fire "at-will". I see HR having their own agenda on minimum requirements and discretion. To possibly being age, sex discrimination and / or favoritism. I believe it is time to organize and unitehere! If in favor note that this post is helpful. Also, Mr. Katz has recently donated to his school for the study and research on Emotional Intelligence. (A fancy word for common sense?) Much, much more and I ask everyone to look up the real definition via wikipedia. Note the criticisms and why any company would need to use this approach.

Advice to Management

I think we need to unitehere.org and finally organize a mountain service workers union in the light that employees have proper representation, clear policies with defined definitions that can not be changed based on a managers whim and that employees can follow with reasonable requirements / request. I believe that the only way minus myself speaking at a shareholders meeting of the direction and treatment of employees is to unitehere.org and find a way to organize and get OUR own rights heard and delivered. It is time for change in management discretion and employee retention / wages / rights. I see the need and will meet the challenge!

3. It could be worse..

Current Employee - Documents Coordinator in Keystone, CO
    Current Employee - Documents Coordinator in Keystone, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks and benefits, awesome employee incentives.

Cons

Below average pay for the area.

Advice to Management

Pay more or keep training new people.

5. Limited Growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Napa, CA

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Great people, Tons of different opportunities, depending on your strengths.

Cons

For a large corporation, there is limited growth once you reach lower to mid-level management.

Advice to Management

Just because someone has been at the company a long time, does not mean they are the most qualified for a promotion. 3% "merit" raises are a joke

6. Great Short-term or Seasonal Position

Former Employee - Bartender in Avon, CO
    Former Employee - Bartender in Avon, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Living and working in the mountains and skiing all the time is a dream. Company respects its employees.

Cons

No real opportunities for advancement, a fun job; not a career.

Advice to Management

Overall bureaucracy interfered with day-to-day operations. Stream lining individual departments to be more able to respond to their own unique challenges would help.

Working for Vail

Pros

I work in the HR department and the people in that department are caring, compassionate, and concerned people. They strive to provide the best support for all departments.

Cons

Being a predominately seasonal employer, the company attracts young employees with little job commitment; they are there for the party experience.Therefore, there is a high turnover rate in some departments.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to devise a plan to attract employees who will be there for the long run and have good work ethic.

8. Jackson Lake Lodge

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time

Pros

The lodge is located in a beautiful place, and there are many fun activities to do.

Cons

The pay is too low for the job, and the dorms and employee cafeteria are in pretty bad shape.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. Employees are responsible for their own travel expenses and as such it does not seem like the company values its employees very much.

9. Front Desk Agent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hospitality training and benefits.

Cons

There was not a lot of flexibility in my schedule, which is to be expected with Guest Services work.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all you do!

Ski School Supervisor

Current Employee - Ski School Supervisor in Beaver Creek, CO
    Current Employee - Ski School Supervisor in Beaver Creek, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of skiing, working with fun people, working partially outdoors at a ski resort, delivering exceptional service and seeing people smile is very rewarding.

Cons

Low pay compared to the revenue/products we are responsible for. Difficult to advance your career- there are lots of people above you that don't really move. You can stay put in a role or try to move to a different resort. Hardly any interaction between mountain employees and corporate employees and not much opportunity for career movement in that direction- corporate looks for very specific skills and experience. Say goodbye to work-life balance around the holidays!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dividend and invest more in employee retention at mountain resorts. Retention would cut training costs significantly and improve guest experiences. Why not a management rotation/training program?

Mountain Corp IT

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time

Pros

You are in the mountains

Cons

There is no communication. As an employee you do not fit anywhere, you are not included in company functions in Broomfield, or any of the resorts. You are just soft of lost in the mix. No team atmosphere whatsoever. Training was cut. You are expected to cover costs out of your pocket and expense them back. There is no advancement. It is a job that offers a paycheck only. No long term plan. No information but expected to make decisions. All about cost savings always instead of doing the right thing for the company. Cross discipline teamwork almost doesn't exist. It is not a pleasant place to work

Advice to Management

Listen to what employees say in our meetings and actually do something about it. Atleast act like you care about your employees instead of your bonus

RSS Feed </> Embed