Vail Resorts Reviews

297 reviews filtered by
3.1
Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz
Rob Katz

Pros
  • The free ski pass and access to subsidized employee housing (for resort-area employees) are great (in 79 reviews)

• You get a free ski pass and some discount passes for your friends (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The cost of living was too high for the pay you get (in 11 reviews)

• There is not an overwhelming feeling that upper management cares for the staff (in 15 reviews)

Experience of a Lifetime

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for Vail Resorts provides a unique opportunity where your life can be better then most people's vacations. Creating a dream vacation for someone else can be very rewarding.

Cons

Unless you are in management or have been with the company for a few years, the salary makes it tough to live in the environment you are working in. Do not expect to share the same level of perks as the people you are catering to.

2. College Ambassador

I worked at Vail Resorts

Pros

Easy to work with. Lots of perks to the mountain and all Vail Resorts. Swag, etc.

Cons

Pretty bureaucratic. Very corporate and a little impersonal.

Advice to Management

Be more personalized and you can look for talent from within.

3. Vail Resorts: Located in 8 US states

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ski pass; company discounts for friends and family; 4 free day passes, and 16 $55 lift passes; National Park Pass; Employee housing; benefits including health insurance, eye, and dental (for employees with over 700 work hours); pro-deals for many of the companies vendors; J1 & H2B workers; tourists from a wide variety of Nations;

Cons

low pay, limited company locations, besides 1 location in Australia (coming later in 2015) there are no VR locations outside of the USA, not a very culturally or ethnically diverse company

5. Liftie at Vail Mountain

Former Contractor - Lift Operator in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Contractor - Lift Operator in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Vail Resorts as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Comes with EPIC pass for any of Vail's resorts worldwide, usable for the duration of employment. Vail itself is the 3rd-largest resort in North America.

Cons

Bottom pay, poor living conditions (packed like sardines into PAID employee housing), high responsibility but not made to feel valuable. Couldn't afford to go to any other Vail resort on just the one salary (40+ work hours/wk).

Advice to Management

About half of the seasonal employees do not stay for the full term of the contract. Most of the low-level employees put forth minimal effort. Increase pay enough that there is competition for these positions and morale/efficiency/quality of company culture will increase dramatically.

Great company, great people, great product...busy days.

Current Employee - Director in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people who share the same passion for quality work and fun in the outdoors. There is definitely the "work hard/play hard" mantra, with emphasis on enjoying our ski resorts, golf courses, etc.

Cons

Lots of meetings can make it difficult to stay on top of the workload.

Apr 10, 2015TA Analyst

Thank you for your feedback! We love that our company attracts those that are passionate about what they do and where they spend their time, it really allows us to come together as a strong community ... More

7. OK but definitely not The Experience of a Lifetime

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at Vail Resorts

Pros

Executive team is (mostly) pretty cool to work with. Good COO. Fun group of co-workers. Casual dress code. Efforts at sustainability and being environmentally responsible. Gives support to community organizations. A great job if you don't have bills to pay.

Cons

Absymal pay for non-ski-bum jobs; it's basically impossible to justify working there long-term because - as a full-time employee - I was eligible for food stamps because I made so little in gross salary. The company talks a lot about developing from within, but there is no actual path for employees to either develop skills or advance in their careers. The company's message of valuing their employees doesn't align with their current practice of under-compensating and under-valuing employees. Some managers definitely send the message that employee suggestions for improvement or innovation are not welcome (hint: if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got). Very little gender or ethnic diversity in hiring.

Advice to Management

Do more than pay lip service to valuing quality employees. Seriously look at your under-compensation issue and acknowledge that living in an "iconic location" or having a ski pass is not enough (nor should it be) for the type of employee you SAY you want. Full-time employees should not have to struggle to pay the bills and put food on the table. You're not the WalMart of the ski industry to your guests, so you shouldn't be the WalMart of the skiing industry to employees. Develop in-house career training and advancement paths; your company is big enough and has enough resources to be able to afford and justify doing so.

Vail could easily be the landmark employer in the ski industry, attracting the best and the brightest, and be the most coveted place to work. Apply the same values that you ask OF employees (serve others, do right, do good, etc.) TO employees. Own it, personalize it, elevate it.

Great company, awesome benefits

I worked at Vail Resorts

Pros

Two words. Epic Pass. That is definitely the best reason to work here. Also great people.

Cons

Only con is that they don't have that many places to work, which is only a con if you want to move around and stay with the same company like I do.

Apr 10, 2015TA Analyst

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. We often here that the best perk to working in Vail Resorts is the free Epic Pass (now including Australia). We love the amount of ... More

Great Experiences at Canyons resort in Park City, Utah

Current Employee - Surveyor in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Surveyor in Park City, UT

I have been working at Vail Resorts

Pros

free ski pass at all the Vail Resorts, meet all kinds of people. half off on most food. discounts in ski shops.

Cons

low pay, usually no overtime.

Advice to Management

I would say the management is doing pretty good. They ask employees to participate in surveys for stuff they can improve on and I think that it is very important.

Apr 10, 2015TA Analyst

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We agree that the Free Ski Pass and the chance to meet and work with people from all over the world is one of the best perks for working with ... More

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From phone interview to in-person interviews everything was well planned, executed and worthwhile. Communication was regular and timely even during periods of waiting - they made sure I knew where things were, and when I would hear back.

Cons

Expectedly for executive candidates it can take some time to line up calendars for interviews so be patient; it's well worth it.

Apr 7, 2015TA Analyst

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on Glassdoor about the interview experience. It is great to hear that the communication was consistent. Our talent acquisition team has been ... More

Great Culture!

Current Employee - Information Technology in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts

Pros

I've only been here three months, but I love it! Vail Resorts has a strong brand and is definitely an innovator w/in the industry...it's fun to be part of that. Just about everyone I've met here is passionate and truly wants to be here. The culture is very collaborative with a focus on employee engagement and the size of the company is perfect for me: Large enough to invest in big and exciting projects yet small enough to not be too impersonal or bureaucratic. The free skiing and discounts are great too!

Cons

We seem to waste an inordinate amount of time managing expense vs capital. I'm glad that the company is financially responsible, but there are some definite opportunities for process improvements.

Advice to Management

Continue to emphasize culture and employee engagement. Don't loose sight of what's made the company great.

Apr 7, 2015TA Analyst

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! One of the common themes within our organization is passion and collaboration. We would agree that many of our employees are very passionate ... More