Vail Resorts

Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz
Rob Katz

Pros
  • The free ski pass and access to subsidized employee housing (for resort-area employees) are great (in 79 reviews)

• You get a free ski pass and some discount passes for your friends (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The cost of living was too high for the pay you get (in 11 reviews)

• There is not an overwhelming feeling that upper management cares for the staff (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Fun Environment to Work In

Current Employee - Youth Snowboard Instructor in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Youth Snowboard Instructor in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts

Pros

Being able to snowboard every day that you work, great training, fun and experienced co-workers, responsive management, huge pay increases and tips for requested private lessons

Cons

Pay is low if you don't work towards getting a AASI certification, it can be difficult for a first year instructor to get classes with high level students

When working for a Ski Resort-Vail is the top tier operator!

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits, work atmosphere and training. Take advantage of the online options provided for personal and professional growth

Cons

Work can be seasonal, so consider working alternate positions in the summer season. Make sure to talk with HR about opportunities at other Vail Resorts.

Great place good for employees

Former Employee - Food Service in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Food Service in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free staff parties with food and drink, raffles with major prices. Free skipass for all Vail resorts. Great managers, inernational work place, employee housing offered. Possibilties for summer jobs. Too many pros to sum up, fantastic experience for two winters at Midvail restaurant. A must for snow loving free spirited people. Great company.

Cons

Could not name any cons.

Keep doing your great job!

Two stars but hopeful

Current Employee - Transfer in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Transfer in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is located in an absolutely beautiful space and there are nice perks like the free ski pass. There is a strong community where I work and the perks are pretty much between employees because none of us can afford the cost of living in the valley.

I have hope changes can be made from within. This is the only reason I am still working for them.

There are pockets within the overall management range that understand long term growth and stability of the company is based on quality leadership not just being able to recite the companies proposed values. The only problem is that they are pressured to manage dishonestly. But like I said, there are pockets.

Cons

The pros may have been the cons. I would like to believe that there is an extreme disconnect between the management, upper management, officers, and what is actually happening in quite a few of the departments. However, I do not believe this is the case. Numbers seem to be the goal even though people are what drive this company. I think that has been forgotten and quality leadership has fallen by the wayside. Business ethics are lacking.

Look for the qualities that are admirable in true leaders and develop those employees not the ones that are going to make you the extra short term buck. Honesty, Diligence, Responsibility. These values make a successful business not the ability to recite values that hold no weight with the employees or in reality regarding this companies business practices.

Corporate Atmosphere, nice perks

I have been working at Vail Resorts

Pros

Ski Pass, free starbucks, events

Cons

Pay, development, seasonal, ok benefits

Awesome company!

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing perks, free stay at 5star hotels, and a true industry eager to work for.

Cons

Underpaid, long hours, and can improve on creating a more cooperative vs. competitive culture.

Invest in training and create a life/work balance culture

Great people, but not great pay

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Vail Resorts a total of 3 years, working at Colorado Ski and Golf during the winter months, and Bicycle Village during the summer months. I met some amazing people while working for Vail, and we always worked as a team. It was nice working with people that knew the product well and were educated on the outdoor industry. Although the pay was very low, the benefits helped the sting.

Cons

Vail Resorts makes it seem like there is tons of opportunity for growth within the company, but I have seen more qualified employees be denied growth because upper management had favorites, which included not listening to store management on who is the most qualified employee at that specific location.

If upper management (not store manager) has high expectations for retail employees, then there needs to be proper training, and respect towards ALL employees.

Long undervalued appreciated employess

I worked at Vail Resorts

Pros

a free ski pass, thats it.

Cons

Very under payed. no opportunity for growth. Upper management does not value hard work.

Can't climb a corporate mountain with a sorry slope

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Too interested in the "young" employee. Starbucks style lounge area, ski perks and office casual attire. There is lots of almost college enthusiasm in meetings - pep rally or frat style. More of a go to work and be one of the popular kids

Cons

If you over 45 and are lucky to get hired, you might be in the mail room, a janitor or possibly a short term temp. Just don't look for your own kind...they aren't extinct yet, but there are not enough to make a ratio. Vail likes to hire from within, using seasonal positions as a guide. However, unless you meet their criteria, which would be expected in Google's offices sitting on a yoga ball (yes they do this) or walking the grounds for exercise, don't expect to stay long. For those who do stay past a year between general boredom, lack of appreciation or stimulation on both sides, longevity and satisfaction are the same as a snowfall and gone just as fast.

You have a solid footprint in Colorado - improve it by looking at solid employees, regardless of their age or college degrees that may have been earned 30 years ago! It takes experience to ski your slopes, and to keep your company from a slippery slope it takes professional knowledge, experience and loyalty - THAT can not be found on someone still wet behind the years who thinks everyday is a party. Perks are nice and competitive salaries are great, but after a while a foundation built on youth can't stand the test of time. A true rethink is in order.

Food and Beverage

Former Employee - Bartender in Keystone, CO
    Former Employee - Bartender in Keystone, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lifestyle, seasonal working environment, season pass.

Cons

Short sided upper management. Preference in hiring new seasonal workers vs. retaining ambassadors of the resort filled with local knowledge that can improve guest experience.

Put personnel in upper management with actual hands-on experience.