Vail Resorts

Vail Resorts Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz

Rob Katz

Pros
  • Great benefits such as a free ski pass(in 68 reviews)

• You get a free ski pass and some discount passes for your friends(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • With the cost of living, the pay is basically minimum wage(in 9 reviews)

• There is not an overwhelming feeling that upper management cares for the staff(in 13 reviews)

A great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Vail, CO

ProsWhat a wonderful setting to come to work to.

ConsWorking in the tourism industry can have its disadvantages.

Jul 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Feedback is greatly appreciated. I would agree that we have a wonderful place to come to work to each day. Have an excellent summer!

Motivate employee's

Ski Instructor (Former Employee) Avon, CO

ProsWell known company with a significant presence in the Ski/Winter sport and resort industry
    Great benefits include discounts on equipment, resort locations, ski passes etc.
    Work hard to ensure employees are satisfied, that they get the right training, management follows up with employee issues, fun and dynamic environment where everyone is someone.

ConsIt's all about the Winter - mostly seasonal positions and if the snow is bad it can be tough. Will need to work holiday's and weekends to maximize your pay and opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company to work for and I appreciate the effort made to ensure employees get the most out of their seasonal employment; however, I would love to see more effort being made to increase promotion through channels outside of the traditional seasonal positions

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We appreciate and value your insight. I would definitely agree the perks of an Epic Pass and discount on equipment are great! I completely ... More

Great job

Front (Current Employee) Truckee, CA

ProsGreat place to meet friends

ConsSometimes snow does not cooperate.

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

Jul 17, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience on Glassdoor! I would agree that Vail Resorts is a great place to meet new people. 2 of my best friends have come from relationships I formed on the job. If ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Guest Services

Locker Attendant (Current Employee) Breckenridge, CO

ProsFriendly staff, management very willing to work with adjustment of schedules. The discounts that are associated with the job are nice - free parking at the South Gondola parking lot, 50% off of food, free ski pass for employee and spouse.

ConsHourly wage could be set higher.

A great place to work.

Bell/Valet (Former Employee) Vail, CO

ProsSki pass, discounts on food and retail.

ConsSome people aren't professional, because they only want to work there to ski. Immature.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective in the hiring process.

My experience with Vail Resorts was very joyful and exciting.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Vail, CO

ProsThey understand why you work in a mountain town, are fair to all employees

ConsTheir pay is not the best for amount of work put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you reward your front line workers a little more the whole company with strive.

Great winter job

Alpine Ski Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back atmosphere, passionate employees, team culture

ConsYou work constantly during the busy weeks

Reservations to my dream job in Marketing, hard work truly pays off!

Reservations & Travel (Current Employee) Keystone, CO

ProsGreat industry, stable company, invaluable experience and development opportunities. Strong leadership that cares for employees and helps them succeed in their goals.

ConsYou might miss a few powder days due to work :(

After 6 years as an instructor, I can't think of another mountain I'd rather teach at, or a company I'd rather work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree ski pass, discounted friends and family passes, discounted rates around/on the mountain, team culture

ConsLow base salary for starting employees, over time the benefits for part time employees went downhill, the new heli hanson jackets were not as warm as the old DNA jackets.

Great company. Play where you work!

Resort Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) Keystone, CO

ProsSeason pass that is available to ALL Vail Resorts ski resorts and many other! Currently thats over 15 individual mountains!!!!
    Huge company that is great experience, fun environment, everyone here loves the ski industry

ConsThe pay is less than you would expect. Its obviously a trade off, but not big enough to make you not be interested in working here.
    Employee housing has 3 different tiers: horrible, not good and decent. Respectively these are called Sagebrush ($250 per month), Sunrise ($350 per month) and Tenderfoot ($450 per month). Sagebrush (has been condemned multiple times, is comparable to a dumpster and) is a shared 10 x 15 room with a small bunk bed, a small closet and toilet inside with a sink; there are ZERO kitchen capabilities. Sunrise is larger room at 15 x 20 with your own sink but has a shared kitchen and bathroom with a shower. Tenderfoot (where I lived) was decent with your own room, bed closet and dresser. It is essentially an apartment with a full kitchen, bathroom and living room (although its nothing fancy at all).
    Working at the resort level is different than corporate. I have worked in both, but the people at the individual resorts are more laid back and relaxed, which is not to say they are uptight at the corporate office, just more of a variety of people and management styles. Management at the individual resort level is more relaxed because you actually live on (or very, very close to) the mountain and everyone is in the "Skiing for Life" mentality and enjoys a more relaxed lifestyle.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement cares and I dont think I met anyone in management that didnt or that I didnt feel was doing their job well. I met a few people who disagreed, but then again, they also always had a chip on their shoulder and a somewhat negative outlook on life.

Worked for Vail Resorts? Contribute to the Community!