Vail Resorts

Vail Resorts Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz

Rob Katz

Pros:
  • "Get a free ski pass to many great resorts in Colorado and Tahoe"
    in 65 reviews
  • "Great benefits such as a free ski pass"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "No personality at all as a whole trickled down from upper management"
    in 13 reviews
  • "The pay is low versus cost of living (especially equipment needed for skiing)"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It's great, just accept you are part of bottom-line corporation that is a slave to Wall Street expectations, not yours

Instructor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAccess to a sport you love in your free time. Outdoors culture, teaching what you love.

ConsAccess to a sport you love in your free time.

That's tongue-in-cheek for the reason behind the unlimited access to low-wage employees who do not see the mountain as a career, but a pit stop. This seemingly inelastic supply allows for wages that in real terms (i.e. after inflation) continue to go down while lesson prices increase at double-digit rates. You are a profit center they love with very little power over how much you earn as a portion of that $800 plus lesson. Great for a season or two, not so great for a career. The economic rent you pay for doing something you love is an economic decision you have to make. Accept it, or find something else to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementBottom-line oriented management care little about their employees' opinions unless they add to the bottom line. Even the ostensibly employee-oriented issues like "safety" are about the bottom line. There is little evidence this corporate culture will change any time soon to one that sees employees - especially frontline ones - as integral to the success of the company.

Great!

Snowboard Instructor (Current Employee)
Park City, UT

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time for less than a year

ProsI loved being able to work with kids and adults. It was fun to see them learn and succeed. They pay you for waiting to receive a class even if you don't end up working. They have great training courses. Also, they have great discounts!

ConsIf you are injured on the job, they only give you minimum hours for workers comp. They also are very overpriced with food and beverages.

Ski

I have been working at Vail Resorts

ProsThe people you work w will become your family

ConsThe company you work for will treat you like crap

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what a ski town used to be and what family means. Try to remember that treating your employees well leads to them sticking around for more than two years which does in fact make for a better guest experience which will positively effect you bottom line.

Guest Services

Locker Attendant (Current Employee)
Breckenridge, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly staff, management very willing to work with adjustment of schedules. The discounts that are associated with the job are nice - free parking at the South Gondola parking lot, 50% off of food, free ski pass for employee and spouse.

ConsHourly wage could be set higher.

Unsustainable experience of a lifetime.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time

ProsGreat lift systems. Have fun for a year or two- then you'll be broke.

ConsOverall noncaring attitude from corporate headquarters. Big on "attaboys"- but no living wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop treating the employees of Vail like Walmart. Public companies must be profitable but do they have to be so greedy? Great CEO's are aware of how important his/her employees are-and they treat them accordingly. Vail is in desporate need of a CEO who cares for the employees who work for the various companies. Until that happens- the employee revolving door will continue to spin and the "experience of a lifetime" will be compromised.

super fun job

Ski Instructor (Former Employee)
Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time for less than a year

ProsYou get to ski for free everyday! Great managers and staff and AMAZING mountain

Consworking weeks with out having a day off

A great place to work.

Bell/Valet (Former Employee)
Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time for more than a year

ProsSki pass, discounts on food and retail.

ConsSome people aren't professional, because they only want to work there to ski. Immature.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective in the hiring process.

A good balance of corporate and ski resort culture.

Senior Support Specialist (Former Employee)
Truckee, CA

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are hard to beat, this is including health and personal/vacation benefits. Smart group of people working in corporate allows for some good growth/learning opportunities if you work with the right group.

ConsThe ski resort culture hinders the appropriate pay scale for positions. While you work for a corporation, you would get paid double for your position if you worked outside of the ski resort.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow low-level employees more opportunity to grow to higher positions. While it's great that current employees can move anywhere to another position, it makes it difficult when local employees are not considered first for the position.

Poorly managed, did not feel like a valued employee

Zip Line Attendant (Current Employee)
Breckenridge, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time for less than a year

ProsYou will receive a free ski pass.

Cons3+ weeks of shoveling everyday in the winter

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your employees feel like their worth something.

Great company to get some entry level experience

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Broomfield, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood emphasis towards a work/life balance
Great people who are fun to work with, great to be around, and who care
Amazing location - close to the mountains, close to Denver
Solid office space and working environment
Good training opportunities
Very professional working environment that allowed for learning what it's like to work at a desk job

ConsVery hard to get promoted
Not easy to move around between departments
Below average compensation
The company is not willing to take risks and put teams (or people) in new, challenging situations that push the envelope
Not as many company events/employee gatherings

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease compensation across the board to compete with other non-hospitality companies and put Vail Resorts at the forefront of employee benefits.

Worked for Vail Resorts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vail Resorts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz. All 201 reviews posted anonymously by Vail Resorts employees.