Vail Resorts

Updated February 21, 2015
3.2

Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz
Rob Katz

Pros
  • The free ski pass and access to subsidized employee housing (for resort-area employees) are great (in 79 reviews)

• You get a free ski pass and some discount passes for your friends (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The cost of living was too high for the pay you get (in 11 reviews)

• There is not an overwhelming feeling that upper management cares for the staff (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

49 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Product Sales and Services

I worked at Vail Resorts

Pros

Great time! Everyone loved to ski and snowboard so the passion was shared across all my co-workers so it was easy to bond. Pay was ok and management does a good job finding you housing if you are out of state prior to employment. Great company culture.

Cons

Very expensive to live in ski towns. Some employees didn't pick up their slack. Long hours. We were understaffed during the busy times (holidays) and over staffed the rest of the time. So that meant you either worked more than you wanted or didn't work as much as you needed.

Pay fewer managers more money to more and eliminate the managers that were useless.

Typical wall street driven co.

Current Employee - Guest Services in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts

Pros

A lot of good people who care about the quality of their output.

Cons

Obsessed with cutting budget without regard to outcome.

Listen to your people and you will find many ways to save money.

Corporate/Seasonal Employees

Former Employee - Guest Services in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company strives to fulfill the "Experience of a Lifetime" for its guests. Benefits include season lift tickets across all resorts and company discounts.

Cons

Seasonal employees are treated as disposable and upper management lacks leadership across corporate and seasonal ranks. Compensation is lower than market standard due to the fact the company takes advantage of its employees.

Promote retention, take better care of employees.

Very Fun Environment to Work In

Current Employee - Youth Snowboard Instructor in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Youth Snowboard Instructor in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts

Pros

Being able to snowboard every day that you work, great training, fun and experienced co-workers, responsive management, huge pay increases and tips for requested private lessons

Cons

Pay is low if you don't work towards getting a AASI certification, it can be difficult for a first year instructor to get classes with high level students

Two stars but hopeful

Current Employee - Transfer in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Transfer in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is located in an absolutely beautiful space and there are nice perks like the free ski pass. There is a strong community where I work and the perks are pretty much between employees because none of us can afford the cost of living in the valley.

I have hope changes can be made from within. This is the only reason I am still working for them.

There are pockets within the overall management range that understand long term growth and stability of the company is based on quality leadership not just being able to recite the companies proposed values. The only problem is that they are pressured to manage dishonestly. But like I said, there are pockets.

Cons

The pros may have been the cons. I would like to believe that there is an extreme disconnect between the management, upper management, officers, and what is actually happening in quite a few of the departments. However, I do not believe this is the case. Numbers seem to be the goal even though people are what drive this company. I think that has been forgotten and quality leadership has fallen by the wayside. Business ethics are lacking.

Look for the qualities that are admirable in true leaders and develop those employees not the ones that are going to make you the extra short term buck. Honesty, Diligence, Responsibility. These values make a successful business not the ability to recite values that hold no weight with the employees or in reality regarding this companies business practices.

Great place good for employees

Former Employee - Food Service in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Food Service in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free staff parties with food and drink, raffles with major prices. Free skipass for all Vail resorts. Great managers, inernational work place, employee housing offered. Possibilties for summer jobs. Too many pros to sum up, fantastic experience for two winters at Midvail restaurant. A must for snow loving free spirited people. Great company.

Cons

Could not name any cons.

Keep doing your great job!

Fun Place to Work

Former Employee - Ski & Car Valet, Private Clubs in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Ski & Car Valet, Private Clubs in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, nice people, outdoor-minded.

Cons

The overall pay wasn't amazing but given the type of work it was about expected. Plus tips helped.

Ask a lot of you. Pay does not meet demands. However, you do get to work in some spectacular locations.

Former Employee - Product Sales Agent in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work in beautiful locations
    Offer discounted or sometimes nearly free housing (location dependent)
    Sweet pro deal benefits on outdoor gear
    ski for free!

Cons

dealing with corporate, from hiring to wages.
    non negotiable wages
    work you beyond pay grade
    don't make enough to buy gear even from pro deals or save much money
    feel like a fish in an overpopulated tank
    its a company you'll work for for a year or two and decide to get out of there

Four Year Seasonal Employee

Former Employee - Product Sales Agent in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Living in Vail, CO is amazing! Every employee shares shares a passion for skiing or snowboarding and the mountain lifestyle and that creates a great community. As an employee some of the best perks are a free ski pass, half price food, ski locker at the base of the mountain, and tons of discounts on ski gear. Benefits are also good if you have enough hours to get them or are year round.

Cons

Pay sucks. It is expensive to live in a ski town and for lots of employees half or more of each months pay goes towards rent. Also, working seasonal jobs has major disadvantages. If you have health benefits through the company, you probably lose them for a few months out of the year, you might have significant amounts of time off, and you don't accumulate benefits like PTO. There is also very high turn over.

Offer more year round jobs to keep quality employees. What ultimately made me leave was wanting more stability and to not live paycheck to paycheck.

Company thoughts

Current Employee - Manager in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been given a lot of opportunity to grow and develop in my job. I have also been given more responsibility each year I have been with the company. The benefits are great - which add to our overall annual income. I am thankful that we have such great insurance, as well!

Cons

We have a tremendous amount of responsibility for our positions. I feel like each year I am given more responsibility, but not necessarily the pay raise to go with it. I like my department and direct bosses, but think that raise in pay should come with extended responsibilities. I work a huge amount of hours for my salary - and if I really add it up, a lift op probably makes more than I do per hour.

I think Vail Resorts has la tendency to leave a sour taste in people's mouthes. There is a lot of grumbling internally about how a company can be run from Broomfield - and still have a feel for the mountains. I think it would be good for the top executives to spend time in each division - with the lower people on the totem pole and see what the front lines are like. We all know how busy everyone is, but this might make you not come across as the evil giant company.