Vail Resorts

Updated October 3, 2014
3.1

Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz
Rob Katz

Pros
  • The free ski pass and access to subsidized employee housing (for resort-area employees) are great (in 79 reviews)

• You get a free ski pass and some discount passes for your friends (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The cost of living was too high for the pay you get (in 11 reviews)

• There is not an overwhelming feeling that upper management cares for the staff (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun Place to Work

Former Employee - Ski & Car Valet, Private Clubs in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Ski & Car Valet, Private Clubs in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, nice people, outdoor-minded.

Cons

The overall pay wasn't amazing but given the type of work it was about expected. Plus tips helped.

Four Year Seasonal Employee

Former Employee - Product Sales Agent in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Living in Vail, CO is amazing! Every employee shares shares a passion for skiing or snowboarding and the mountain lifestyle and that creates a great community. As an employee some of the best perks are a free ski pass, half price food, ski locker at the base of the mountain, and tons of discounts on ski gear. Benefits are also good if you have enough hours to get them or are year round.

Cons

Pay sucks. It is expensive to live in a ski town and for lots of employees half or more of each months pay goes towards rent. Also, working seasonal jobs has major disadvantages. If you have health benefits through the company, you probably lose them for a few months out of the year, you might have significant amounts of time off, and you don't accumulate benefits like PTO. There is also very high turn over.

Offer more year round jobs to keep quality employees. What ultimately made me leave was wanting more stability and to not live paycheck to paycheck.

Company thoughts

Current Employee - Manager in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been given a lot of opportunity to grow and develop in my job. I have also been given more responsibility each year I have been with the company. The benefits are great - which add to our overall annual income. I am thankful that we have such great insurance, as well!

Cons

We have a tremendous amount of responsibility for our positions. I feel like each year I am given more responsibility, but not necessarily the pay raise to go with it. I like my department and direct bosses, but think that raise in pay should come with extended responsibilities. I work a huge amount of hours for my salary - and if I really add it up, a lift op probably makes more than I do per hour.

I think Vail Resorts has la tendency to leave a sour taste in people's mouthes. There is a lot of grumbling internally about how a company can be run from Broomfield - and still have a feel for the mountains. I think it would be good for the top executives to spend time in each division - with the lower people on the totem pole and see what the front lines are like. We all know how busy everyone is, but this might make you not come across as the evil giant company.

Ask a lot of you. Pay does not meet demands. However, you do get to work in some spectacular locations.

Former Employee - Product Sales Agent in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to work in beautiful locations
    Offer discounted or sometimes nearly free housing (location dependent)
    Sweet pro deal benefits on outdoor gear
    ski for free!

Cons

dealing with corporate, from hiring to wages.
    non negotiable wages
    work you beyond pay grade
    don't make enough to buy gear even from pro deals or save much money
    feel like a fish in an overpopulated tank
    its a company you'll work for for a year or two and decide to get out of there

Pay was less than employee housing.

Former Employee - Cashier in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There were no pros...maybe pretty scenery.

Cons

housing was 500/month per person no sharing allowed. My first paycheck was 460 working full time. My commute one way was 1.5 hours (worked on top of mountain) which none of was paid for even though much of this time was spent on Vail property. So, if the gondola isn't working and I can't get up to work to clock in....too bad. The bus pass was 50.00 further adding to cost of living. Because of this disparity between cost of living and earnings I was forced to take on two other jobs so I could buy food and pay bills. With these two jobs and the long commute, on certain days I was getting three hours of sleep. This left no time to enjoy the mountain and the free lessons (the only perks of this job). On top of all this, the people I worked with were internationals on student visas. To be fair some of them were great. And meeting others from different countries is always rewarding. However, the majority had never worked before and had very poor work ethics. Very poor!! This made the work environment even more challenging and frustrating. I can not express how horrible of an experience this was and would warn everyone, everywhere to stay far away from this place and company. THE BENEFITS DO NOT OUT WEIGH THE CONS. Sincerly, Vail hater.

Simple....Put the people who have the longest commute and lowest paying jobs in the cheaper and closer employee housing. This isn't rocket science. How long has this company been in operation? Or make housing a percentage of pay check not a flat fee. My ski instructor roommate had no problem paying rent. Also, pay people for the commute or at least part of it. And reimburse them for the required bus pass or gas. I am shocked this company still exists. I wish it the worst of luck and will tell all friends, family, and those I meet to stay away.

manager

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

experience, growth for other opportunities, industry leader, good company vision, lively culture, outdoor enthusiasm

Cons

pay raises insignificant, local workforce often in a malaise, low pay for high responsibility jobs, hiring can be frustrating hoop jumping, transient workforces

compensation, stablize seasonal employees

Jul 31, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Glassdoor. We know how helpful these reviews can be for job seekers, and recognize your time is valuable. I would agree with you on the pros ... More

A great company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

What a wonderful setting to come to work to.

Cons

Working in the tourism industry can have its disadvantages.

Jul 18, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Feedback is greatly appreciated. I would agree that we have a wonderful place to come to work to each day. Have an excellent summer!

Too corporate and you are treated as extremely expendable, with little compensation

Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in an active industry, with benefits and daily job roles that are awesome. Seasonal work means forced time off, which can be great, but also challenging.

Cons

No room for upwards mobility within the company or personal growth to stay with the company. Really hard to work for so little and make it a career, or transition anywhere across the company easily.

Create opportunities to grow and learn within the company, and transfer from seasonal work to corporate, instead of making this an impossible transition.

Jul 18, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about working as a ski instructor with our company. One of the great perks of working within the ski industry is the active lifestyle it ... More

Amazing Co-workers, horrible Corporate management

Former Employee - Marketing in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The teams and people I worked with were some of the best in the industry. Smart and innovative, I learned an incredible amount during my time here. The problem of understaffing usually led to the opportunity to garner more experience in a variety of areas. Essentially you had to wear multiple hats at all times.

Cons

The Corporate center never listened to local market findings, or individual resort direction and also facilitated competition within it's own portfolio. Pay was well below average. Trying to get a pay raise was laughable. Getting promoted was next to impossible. Most of the hiring was external, and those hired usually left within the year. Responsibilities increased with absolutely no compensation. Instead money was spent on the "next-big-thing", which was always created without any supporting infrastructure to run it. Going against the grain would get you let go.

Value your employees more, as some of the best usually leave or get pushed out. Staffing your projects better will make them run smoother. More room for internal advancement and appreciation.

No investment in employees

Current Employee - Products Sales and Services in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Products Sales and Services in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful outdoors, great people to work with

Cons

No investment in long-term employees makes it difficult to put forth the effort to provide the level of customer care that is expected. Managers do not interact with employees in a productive manner and training is minimal.

More training and attention to employees needs. I have been with the company for over 5 years, am in my late 40's, have 2 college degrees and made less than $10.50/hr this winter.