Vaisala

Kjell Forsén

Internship

Current Intern - Intern in Louisville, CO
    Current Intern - Intern in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Vaisala as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, nice campus, fun companies, many activities. I would love to come back after my internship

Cons

There are not so many consThere are not so many consThere are not so many consThere are not so many consThere are not so many cons

Joined the company via acquisition a year ago.

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Vaisala full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are smart and well meaning. Good work / life balance.

Cons

More bureaucracy than is strictly necessary. Very few female managers.

Need more diversity in management team.

Comfortable place to work

Current Employee - PMO Project Manager in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - PMO Project Manager in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Vaisala full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being a European company, they have great work/life balance. Lots of paid time off. There are also opportunities to travel domestically and internationally depending on your position.

Cons

With most of the major corporate decisions coming from Helsinki, it can sometime feel like the North American offices don't have much say in the direction the company is going. It would be nice if each region could work a little more autonomously. Also, you can only go so far within the company since most of the senior level positions are in Finland and there is little turnover for the management roles.

Dishonest company that I would not recommed employment with to anyone

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Louisville, CO

I worked at Vaisala full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An occasional free lunch provided by the company

Cons

Management and human resources provides speciial treatment to specific personel. Very poor salary for my education and skill set which is one of the reasons i left. Company states they provide a year bonus but it's not a bouns. It's a employer contirbution disguised as a bonus that you don't get to keep when you leave unless your vested for 6 years. This is a deceptive and dishonest payroll practice by the company. I would strongly advise not working for this company.

Treat all employees under the same criteria. No specialized treatment for gays and minorities. Be honest in your payment description in terms of what a "Bonus" is and what an "employer contribution" to a retirement account is which is under specic rules and regulations for keeping those "Bonus" monies.
    Poor management, deceptive employee practices, specialized treatment for specific personel.

No complaints...

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Vaisala full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good work environment, stable company, interesting work.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to change or advance careers. Frequent restructuring over the last 5+ years has caused some organizational dysfunction.

I enjoyed the work, the people and my direct management a lot (based on 2006 - 2010).

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Louisville, CO

I worked at Vaisala full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I felt as though my direct management was very supportive of my efforts. They provided appropriate tools as needed. My office was really nice and there was ample opportunity to learn. They put together company organized events which were really great. I only left because I had an opportunity to work on a project with really great people, which I could not pass up.

Cons

I didn't get the impression that there was a lot of room for moving up the chain of command. I was really there to be an engineer, so I wasn't so concerned and I only worked there for 4 years. Their industry is a difficult one and at the time, I think the upper management was not very imaginative. Upper management has been "restructured" since then and I hear good things.

Support your lower management well. They are key to your success because they interface with the majority of employees directly and therefore the customers. Happy workers are a happy company. Put a lot of thought into every reorganization, because they are very stressful for the employees and there seems to be a reorganization every few years.

Entry Level to mid-management in ~9 years

Former Employee - Service Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Vaisala full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong benefits package, flexible schedule, relaxed work atmosphere

Cons

lost of mobility for anyone accept Americans. slow moving, reluctant to change.

stressful

I worked at Vaisala full-time

Pros

Good culture, nice co-workers, good balance

Cons

upper management lacks control with decisions

Love this place! Just wish it was closer.

Former Employee - IT Operations Technician in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - IT Operations Technician in Woburn, MA

I worked at Vaisala full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is awesome, they're patient, and you feel valued. One of my biggest regrets in life is leaving these guys. I just wish the commute was shorter, and they had dedicated roles in IT Security.

Cons

They can be a little disorganized at times, but Management overall has a good head on their shoulders.

Give a little more flexibility to work from home, and spend a little more on IT. You're getting big, you need a Security team. And I know just the person for the job. ;)

Poor choice if you have any career ambition

I have been working at Vaisala full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You don't have to work too hard.

Cons

This is clearly a Finnish company with Finnish leaders and culture. Forget about advancement from any of the US office locations. Like so many companies, the leaders are hypocrites when it comes to the stated corporate values like "fair play" and "anti-corruption". They will gladly forgo any values in exchange for money on the table. The business is fundamentally flawed and run by people who do not understand the global nature of business.

Listen to some business leaders outside of the tight circle of Finnish people. Walk the walk when it comes to stated values. Talk is cheap.

Vaisala Photos