Vaisala Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Kjell Forsén

1. 25 years

I have been working at Vaisala full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

unique and interesting industry with continued learning

Cons

small industry so specialty may not apply to other industries

Tough place for high performer's

I worked at Vaisala

Pros

Compensation and benefits are more than fair; There are some good people there, but few and far between; Interesting products/technology

Cons

Overly processed/complicated; Decision making all based in Finland; Lack of leadership and no accountability, which encourages mediocrity; Too many/conflicting goals/metrics; Too many unnecessary positions; Lack of customer service

3. Challenging and interesting, but sometimes frustratingly slow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I worked at Vaisala full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The overall culture of the company, how they treat their employees and the vacation benefits are all very good or excellent. The work is interesting and I can honestly say that the people working there are a good group.

Cons

Though the overall culture is good, there is one glaring issue - "not invented in Finland". Vaisala is headquartered in Vantaa, Finland with a long Finnish tradition. As a US based employee it was exceptionally difficult or impossible to stay in the decision making loop, and very often your ideas seemed at best misunderstood and at worst flatly dismissed because they didn't originate in the head office. There was a lack of trust outside of the head office (individuals were obvious exceptions but overall this was true). Consequently, advancement or serious contribution is impossible without frequent travel to Finland and even then it's very difficult. Despite the central decision making, management has little or no control over the implementation of those decisions; the lack of process can be frustrating. Frequent management turnover because of this; they can't implement plans or strategies effectively. Overall compensation - it's quite average compared to most other companies.

Advice to Management

The company would be stronger if they learn to leverage the experience and knowledge of the people outside of just Helsinki. They have made attempts to do this, but have yet to succeed. Continue trying.

Manager

I worked at Vaisala

Pros

Many great, hard-working, brilliant people. Vacation time is substantial.

Cons

Some managers that will throw you under the bus for their own gain; frequent restructuring/ reorganizing, while there are several great employees, there are also many that do not try to improve, status quo is sufficient, lazy, and incompetent. Very little opportunity for growth. Continued downsizing.

6. Joined the company via acquisition a year ago.

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Vaisala full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are smart and well meaning. Good work / life balance.

Cons

More bureaucracy than is strictly necessary. Very few female managers.

Advice to Management

Need more diversity in management team.

7. Comfortable place to work

Current Employee - PMO Project Manager in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - PMO Project Manager in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Vaisala full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being a European company, they have great work/life balance. Lots of paid time off. There are also opportunities to travel domestically and internationally depending on your position.

Cons

With most of the major corporate decisions coming from Helsinki, it can sometime feel like the North American offices don't have much say in the direction the company is going. It would be nice if each region could work a little more autonomously. Also, you can only go so far within the company since most of the senior level positions are in Finland and there is little turnover for the management roles.

Dishonest company that I would not recommed employment with to anyone

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Louisville, CO

I worked at Vaisala full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An occasional free lunch provided by the company

Cons

Management and human resources provides speciial treatment to specific personel. Very poor salary for my education and skill set which is one of the reasons i left. Company states they provide a year bonus but it's not a bouns. It's a employer contirbution disguised as a bonus that you don't get to keep when you leave unless your vested for 6 years. This is a deceptive and dishonest payroll practice by the company. I would strongly advise not working for this company.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees under the same criteria. No specialized treatment for gays and minorities. Be honest in your payment description in terms of what a "Bonus" is and what an "employer contribution" to a retirement account is which is under specic rules and regulations for keeping those "Bonus" monies. Poor management, deceptive employee practices, specialized treatment for specific personel.

9. No complaints...

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Vaisala full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good work environment, stable company, interesting work.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to change or advance careers. Frequent restructuring over the last 5+ years has caused some organizational dysfunction.

10. I enjoyed the work, the people and my direct management a lot (based on 2006 - 2010).

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Louisville, CO

I worked at Vaisala full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I felt as though my direct management was very supportive of my efforts. They provided appropriate tools as needed. My office was really nice and there was ample opportunity to learn. They put together company organized events which were really great. I only left because I had an opportunity to work on a project with really great people, which I could not pass up.

Cons

I didn't get the impression that there was a lot of room for moving up the chain of command. I was really there to be an engineer, so I wasn't so concerned and I only worked there for 4 years. Their industry is a difficult one and at the time, I think the upper management was not very imaginative. Upper management has been "restructured" since then and I hear good things.

Advice to Management

Support your lower management well. They are key to your success because they interface with the majority of employees directly and therefore the customers. Happy workers are a happy company. Put a lot of thought into every reorganization, because they are very stressful for the employees and there seems to be a reorganization every few years.

11. Entry Level to mid-management in ~9 years

Former Employee - Service Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Vaisala full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong benefits package, flexible schedule, relaxed work atmosphere

Cons

lost of mobility for anyone accept Americans. slow moving, reluctant to change.

RSS Feed </> Embed