Valassis

Be The First To
Add Photos

Valassis CEO Rob Mason

Rob Mason

Pros:
  • "Caring family style culture and good work life balance"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Valassis' best asset is its people as there are plently of great people to work with"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management is only worried about make a "Great place to work list""
    in 8 reviews
  • "People who have worked at the company for years and long to advance themselves are often left behind because there is no room for advancement"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very humanity and good values company with good benefits.

Client Coordinator (Former Employee)
Miami, FL

I worked at Valassis full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood leaders with very good opportunities to grow within the company, great values and Human resource. This is a company witch I've would've like to retire.

ConsWhen I started in this company year 1999 it had so many good benefits, departments that were closed people that were let go because of changes, and because all these changes I've been 2 years unemployed.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery detailed and oriented management.

Ups and Downs

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Valassis part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat work/life balance. Compensation is good. People are GREAT! We have some of the best resources and talent in the industry.

ConsA lot of changes in the last 2-3 years. Uncertainty with direction of the company given Harland Clarke just purchased us. A lot of talent leaves because of frustration with middle-management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communicate changes to your work force. The rumor mill tends to distract your sales execs from SELLING.

Trying to find their way as a printing company in a future without print

Windsor, CT

I worked at Valassis full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWork / Life Balance, Listen to ideas
Friendly people
Very supportive of LGBT, gender and ethnic diversity
They try very hard to be on the "Great Places To Work" list
Very supportive of internal training to expand skill set and cross training for people who want to transition from one job to another within the company.

ConsTake ideas from one department and move to another - no credit given,
no willingness to go the final mile, ideas that can't be successful w/in 6 months are scrapped.
No long term view.
Much of the focus on making great place to work is on silly annoyances (ex. loud speaker bingo) rather than on openness of vision / direction, true collaboration, or dedication to successful products (the things that make you proud to work for a company and like going to work)

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't bleed your cash cow

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Valassis is a ship with a lot of plugged holes

Livonia, MI

I have been working at Valassis full-time

ProsMost people are good to work with. Culture is good but I would not say great.

ConsEach week seems to bring a new challenge to the company. Always trying to react to business environment. Many reorgs over the years or good people always leaving. Having always more to do from unproductive management initiatives with less. Another merger places things in the air.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom the troop side decisions show more harm than good. Business has been lost with some areas. Throwing more money at some doesn't always work. Admit failures and stick to core business. Many VPs LL and directors add little value to the company and are more drain and a morale issue.

Family friendly company

I worked at Valassis

ProsFlex time, Work from home, good people, lot of perks like free pizza if it snows, etc.

Consnot much career growth opportunities

Newspaper Planner

Newspaper Planner (Former Employee)
Livonia, MI

I worked at Valassis full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people of Valassis are positive, energetic and smart. The company has a "pro-employee" policy that includes many perks and surprises by management. It could be a ticket-giveaway, coffee with management, or an afternoon off.

ConsThe systems that the company uses to analyze their media plans are antiquated and often do not speak to each other. There are many redundancies that result in frustration at every level. To "valassisize" something, is to complicate it.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees, they know how to make it better. They want it to work better.

Great place to work to learn and grow early in career

I have been working at Valassis full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits. Schedule flexibility. Work-life balance. Open-door culture. Invests in staff. Business Resource Groups provide internal networking and diverse learning experiences. Significant on-the-job training and learning experiences, until a certain career point. Offers opportunities to be entrepreneurial with clients with the support and guidance of upper management. Opportunity to learn ins and outs of CPG companies. Opportunities to network with CPG contacts and industry professionals.

ConsAlways chasing the competition. Not as technologically advanced as competition, but striving to be "Intelligent Media Delivery" experts and market leaders. Takes pride in upper management seniority, though ideas are often stale and lackluster. Marketing is behind the times, not always appealing to the "on demand" generation - company does not quite embrace Speed, Urgency and Energy. Lower pay than comparable companies. Once you get to a certain career point, in order to grow you must seek out learning opportunities within company, or move on. Some employees hang around to collect a paycheck and do not care to grow business, or service clients and internal parties and are just going through the motions.

Either Pro or Con, not sure yet: Recently purchased by a private equity firm. No longer public. Unsure of company changes or staff benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about fresh ideas to grow business. Consider compensating your employees with higher base pay. Consider added work flexibility options. Get a better handle on competition and establish ideation session with staff for fresh ideas.

Smart, motivated people.

I worked at Valassis full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits, work/life flexibility, online training resources, skills enhancement opportunities through involvement with internal professional network and community outreach initiatives, corporate philanthropy.

ConsIndustry complexity, no mentorship program for onboarding.

Valassis is still figuring out what it wants to be when it grows up

I worked at Valassis full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people despite recent culture decline. Valassis has a longstanding track record with an impressive list of clients.

ConsLow pay. Overly processed sales management. Lack of coherent strategy and communication from senior management.

Good place to work, talented team

Windsor, CT

I have been working at Valassis full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIn my experience, a company that allows you to create your own success if you are a self-starter and find ways to bring value and contribute. Lots of talented, collaborative and helpful people across the organization, and a general sense of unity from those who are there to make a difference.

ConsNaturally, an atmosphere of uncertainty due in part to change from the recent acquisition, but also due to rounds of layoffs. Certain departments are left understaffed as a result of aggressive cuts, and workload and pressure can be intense at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust, empower and invest in your remaining key talent, stay in-tune and connected to the business and continue evolving away from ivory-tower style management.

Worked for Valassis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Valassis reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Valassis CEO Rob Mason. All 131 reviews posted anonymously by Valassis employees.