Valence Health Reviews

4.0
Philip H. Kamp

Very great place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, benefits, free coffee, soft drinks, and popcorn.
     located downtown near public transportation, growing rapidly, work from home options in most departments,

HR is responsive and understanding.

there's a lot of job security, and they can't seem to hire people fast enough. i will miss working here

Cons

If you live in the suburbs, that commute can be really rough. i won't miss it.

Advice to Management

Keep on truckin' guys, you're doing good.

Tremendous Improvement, Still Room For Growth

I have been working at Valence Health full-time

Pros

Over the past year-plus, this organization has gone through a great deal of growth and maturity. The company has invested in expansion by hiring new staff and promoting experienced employees. It is also far more organized and transparent, and is in the process of relocating all employees to a more modern office building.

Cons

There is still much room for improvement. Managers will frequently compete for resources and attention. Major projects are often poorly planned, to the point that no one involved knows who is in charge, and therefore no one can make a decision. This leads to last-minute rushed choices and frequent changes in direction.

Advice to Management

Senior management should be taking charge of projects. They tend to be hands-off, until an emergency arises, at which point they turn around and micromanage instead. Give clear directions and make sure everyone knows their role. Furthermore, work to define career paths on all teams so junior staff know their expectations too.

3. Growing company with good work/life balance

I have been working at Valence Health full-time

Pros

Really enjoy working with my team of software developers. The culture in my team is very casual, friendly, and team-oriented. My boss and managers are supportive and open to new ideas. Company overall is growing very quickly and hiring a lot of people, we're adding a lot of healthcare clients and becoming a major player in the industry. Management emphasizes work/life balance and is very flexible about addressing employee needs. Solid PTO and perks, management is also flexible about this.

Cons

Company is almost growing too fast, making it harder to maintain the same culture with so many new people but management does seem to care about addressing this. The culture used to be more casual and the company is getting more and more busy so work-life balance may suffer depending on which position/team you have in the company.

Advice to Management

As the company continues to get bigger and bigger, keep emphasizing the values and culture that the company began with.

5. Growth Opportunities

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a really dynamic, growing place. The job opportunities here are pretty amazing and many new people are being hired every week. They're moving to an awesome new office, the leaders in the company are exceptionally smart and they are working hard to make sure the culture stays innovative and open.

Cons

Worried that they may be hiring too many people too fast. it would be awful if people were let go because they hired too many.

Advice to Management

It would be great to see Phil walking around more. I know he's super busy though.

6. Growing Company

Current Employee - IT in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Great job schedule
    -Great salary offer
    -Fun and friendly staff- Love my team
    - Major room for growth and opportunity- THIS IS AWESOME THING

Cons

This company is growing at a very rapid pace which is an awesome thing for growth BUT there is a down fall. It seems that the company cannot keep up with the growth or hiring rate. The hierarchy is confusing as well but a lot of changes are taken place because of the growth. Communication is lacking very much as well as between departments because not everyone is on the same page which is expected because the company is growing. There is also a lack of professionalism here is a sense, I think that management is doing a great job on making it a fun environment to work but needs to hold their teams to a higher standard - like dressing appropriately for work and respect between co-workers which may or may not be the case in all departments.

Advice to Management

Overall I would recommend and encourage people to apply because this company has nothing but opportunity and growth for not only career wise but also on an individual level. I think once things get into order things will fall into place and it will be an even better place to work!!

Great company growth, coworkers, and work-life balance.

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is great for recent grads looking for entry level positions. The company is continuously growing into a new market, so they're unlikely to find someone with a lot of experience in the field. It's great for professional growth and learning new skills.

The people I work with are fun, enthusiastic, and open-minded. You are able to see your direct impact on company success and it is celebrated. There is a great company sense of community, willingness to teach, and eagerness to learn.

The workload is usually enough to challenge you, but reasonable. There are times when things happen and you may end up having to work 5-10 hours of overtime, which happens monthly to bi-monthly.

The salary is fair for the role and experience. The benefits include health insurance, 401(k), sick days, and PTO days. I really like that sick days are separate from PTO. We also have a casual dress code, which is amazing.

Cons

There isn't a whole lot of documentation in some areas of the company, so a lot of learning is by someone training you or self-learning by trial and error. Management recognizes it and tries to make this a priority, but usually a client priority takes precedent.

Different managers don't always communicate before directing, leading to confusion. Managers meet and decide to steer the direction of the team differently and assign new roles for team members, leading to confusion for the team members, as this information is not immediately passed on, but usually found out via asking about a task previously assigned to find that someone else will be taking the lead.

The starting salary seems to be inconsistent for entry-level positions, despite similar backgrounds, with some team members earning more than $10K from the median.

We are not closed on national holidays, meaning you have to use your PTO time for days like Memorial Day, New Year’s Day, Independence Day, etc.

Advice to Management

Direct management should communicate more with the team members regarding tasks and plans, as well as initiate communication regarding any changes in plans or roles. It would be helpful to make documentation a priority, as well as communicate with other non-direct managers to ensure that tasks assigned by other team managers are appropriate for the team member.

Consider cost-of-living increases as part of the annual raise. This would help a lot of entry-level employees with their work-life balance, and help to minimize life stresses, which would benefit productivity.

Offer the same amount of PTO days and close the office for national holidays. The client's offices are closed on these days, most people use their PTO for these days. This would help improve the work-life balance.

Encourage employees to lead healthy lifestyles by providing alternative beverages to soda in the office. A set percentage reimbursement for a gym membership, sponsor active events (like a 5K) to encourage employees to stay active, and provide balance balls for employees to use instead of chairs as an option.

Wonderful people with plenty of opportunity to grow and help implement processes to improve quality and efficiency.

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Exciting times as the company grows. Surrounded by very talented people who work together to help improve our product each and every day. Strong leadership team that continues to draw in more and more business. Work-life balance is night and day difference from my old company where I spent nearly 8 years. So happy with my decision.

Cons

Part of being with a growing company means lots of processes are not so well defined. It's improving though each and every day with investments made by the company to do so.

Very rewarding experience to grow with a growing company

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Team environment, great leadership, ability to work on different projects, pay and benefits are solid. Growth of the company has been fantastic. I enjoy the culture of a professional, yet laid back company (but focused on where we need to go). It's the first company I've worked for where the CEO has worn Van's and shorts into the office! Overall, very satisfied with my move to Valence.

Cons

If this is a con, the growth and employee expansion is so fast that I see strangers every week in the office who are actually new co-workers.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus.

Valence Health means job satisfaction

Current Employee - User Experience Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - User Experience Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Valence likes to hire quality people and pays them well. There is minimal bureaucracy and things can get done very quickly without a lot of red tape. Senior management is very approachable and collaborative without being too micro-manage-y. I think Senior Leadership has a clear vision for growing the company and they believe that hiring highly-skilled people and keeping them happy is the path to take. I appreciate the amount of influence and contribution I directly make as a mid-level manager/technician towards the growing the business. I can honestly say that for the first time in over 10 years, I wake up in the morning and I am excited to get to work and do my job! This is a great place to work and I'm glad I found my opportunity here!

Cons

This company is growing fast, so the current space for employees is exceeding its capacity. The company is about to move into new digs soon, so this issue will go away.

Advice to Management

Keep on being collaborative and trusting employees to do the best job they're doing! Keep up the transparency of business issues...it really helps employees feel like trusted advisors and stakeholders in maintaining and growing the company.

Best healthcare software & consulting company to work for in Chicago.

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Valuable company mission to society of improving the U.S. healthcare system
    - Great culture and work life balance
    - Relaxed dress code of daily jeans
    - Excellent location in downtown Chicago
    - Forward vision by senior management
    - Managers seek out collaboration with employee
    - Upward mobility opportunities

Cons

- 401K match is on the low side