Valencia College

www.valenciacollege.edu

Valencia College Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014
Valencia College – Orlando – “Valencia College – East Campus Library”

Great Place To Work !

Adjunct Professor - Audio Courses (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsExcellent staff, a very family feeling environment. It is ons of the best colleges in the US.

ConsOlder building infrastructure. Does not have great food in cafeteria. It is hard to get a full time staff position. Sometimes you need to figure out your own curriculum with not a lot of resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp adjunct instructors get better organized with coaching.

I have be very fortunate in working here, I have progressed from 3rd Shift computer operator to Network Director.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people, great benefits, great hours

ConsWork loads can sometimg become an issue

My experience has been good.

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsValencia is a good place to teach. they will teach you and you will have free online or face to face classes that will help you to refine your teaching skills.

ConsYou should never expect to get a full time there or to be consider for a position. They rarely open a position and when they do, they rather to hired outsiders (at least in my department).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProfessional development opportunities are encouraged.

ConsTenured positions are a challenge to obtain.

Atlas Lab Kissimmee campus

Atlas Lab Assistant (Current Employee) Kissimmee, FL

ProsFlexible schedule, Already on campus so I had a short commute to class, Leadership experience, not physically demanding I got to sit at a desk most of the time, I was always up to speed on new things occurring on campus

ConsI only worked 20 hrs a week but that's was the legal maximum and my manager couldn't control that

Good community

ProsGreat people to work with, good benefits

ConsWay too many required hours. Most places I know require teaching only 3 or 4 classes for full time and it's 6 at Valencia. Definitely more than 35 hours per week after it's all said and done.

Weird policies make this not as great a place as it could be

Lab Assistant (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat coworkers and students. Can really make a difference.

ConsThe biggest thing is that they have literally NO on the job training. As in, even if the person leaving gives lots of notice the replacement's hire date won't ever overlap. As in, don't apply for anything you don't already have experience in, you probably won't even get an interview. As in, this means they have to hire people based on experience more than the best fit for the job.

The other thing is the strictness of the hierarchy. Great if you happen to be tenured faculty, not so great if you're staff or (heaven forbid) part-time staff. Part-time staff isn't even allowed resources needed to do the job, such as an assigned work space or keys to open or lock up the area they are working in. Teaching adjuncts aren't supposed to even get a desk/computer of their own to use, although I think most departments find ways to work around that rule.

Have heard some changes that happened with the new president of the college coming in, doesn't sound promising. Also some of the regulations being passed down from the state are making it harder to get the students to where they need to be by graduation.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're always talking about how the state wants you to run the school more like a business. Businesses make sure their employees are trained properly and give their staff access to resources they need to do their job.

Also, you shouldn't be so proud of keeping tuition low if you're doing it by raising fees. Fees aren't covered as often by financial aid, so you're actually screwing the students more than if you raised tuition. Just saying.

Associate Faculty at Valencia College

Associate Faculty (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsI have worked as an adjunct for the past five years at three of the campuses and I truly enjoy the environment, the staff and the orderliness of the process of assigning courses and keeping lines of communications open.

ConsIt is not easy advancing, I would like to work full time in administration and do have the qualifications for the positions that I apply for, however, as a part-timer, I do not have the opportunity to network with decision-makers.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Politics

ProsState Retirement System and Paid Days off for FULL Time Staff

ConsHuman Resources informs you as an employee that they will not and can not assist you with extreme supervisor issues. As long as a supervisor gives their life to working at Valencia (late nights and holiday hours), they are allowed to mistreat employees, fire & set up employees while elevating the ones that applaud this style of management. There may be departments that have honest managers with integrity to treat others the way they'd like to be treated but overall, it is an institution of "who you know" versus "what you know". Managers and supervisors do not hold each other accountable but instead play hand in hand because they are focused on their paycheck. Most staff that are non-minority do not care about the students they service, they have very strong attitudes of feeling superior to the student population and many have no clue or care about the identity of their customer, they as well have a focus on the check they receive from Valencia.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR should do a total review of management in specific departments. Allowing managers to bully and harass employees will catch up with Valencia at the core of its "success".

you feeel great bout helping others

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthey care about non-traditional people who work there and non-traditional students

Consthere are no cons here

Worked for Valencia College? Contribute to the Community!