Valeo Sylvania Reviews in Seymour, IN

Updated August 2, 2014

2.4

James Johnson

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very good organization with goals

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Seymour, IN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Seymour, IN

I have been working at Valeo Sylvania full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Managment , & Healthy Work Life. They have really good training & devlopment programs

Cons

" Work force needs stabilization"

Sales account manager

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager  in  Seymour, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Seymour, IN

I worked at Valeo Sylvania full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary is competitive. People are generally nice. Products are innovative. Very smart people are there that you can learn from.

Cons

Very stressful job. Work and personal life balance is impossible to maintain. Worked every weekend for 8 months. Senior management gets fired very often. High turn over.

No comments.

Horrible company to work for. A massive French dominance.

Former Employee - EE Engineer  in  Seymour, IN
    Former Employee - EE Engineer in Seymour, IN

I worked at Valeo Sylvania full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will learn different skills set. good for beginner Electronics or Electrical Engineers

Cons

Poor communication between the Team. You will have to obey rules from some French person somewhere. There is no R&D, even tough they say. The Electronics Team is more or less than Applications engineers, waiting for someone from France or China to develop for them. You better off staying away for this company. The race and class factor is dominant. You might be replaced by a Mexican .

Be open minded and allow young electronics engineers to voice out their concerns. It seems management do not know anything about electronics.

Stop the race and class factor. It will not help you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work!

Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer  in  Seymour, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Seymour, IN

I worked at Valeo Sylvania full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have continuous training opportunities (mandatory weekly short training sessions on many different topics + additional training on PFMEA, GD&T, ...). There are lots of picnincs and other activities to show the employees they are special.

Cons

They are 30-40 minutes from the nearest big city. It's actually a very nice area unless you already live far enough away / yet close enough that you don't want to move.

Shorten the hiring process. There is no reason for it to take 3-4 weeks to start working after the hiring decision is made.

Weird but exciting

Former Employee - Contract Designer  in  Seymour, IN
    Former Employee - Contract Designer in Seymour, IN

I worked at Valeo Sylvania full-time for less than a year

Pros

The product is great fun to work on. Who doesn't get excited by car head and tail lamps?? It is great having the lamps built onsite. You can really see how they are made. And the shop floor is amazing and modern.

Cons

Old timer or two doesn't welcome newbies. Melting plastic vapors are an annoyance to eyes, nose, mouth, ears. RIGID timekeeping is a slap in the face. Clock in and out every time you walk out the door.

I really can't complain except maybe get and keep some standards.

Overburdened, understaffed, and overworked - lack of respect for employee worth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seymour, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seymour, IN

I worked at Valeo Sylvania

Pros

Benefit package relatively standard, 3 weeks off vacation (if you can use it), medical/dental/vision fair coverage

Cons

Overworked, understaffed at working level. Senior management arguements in front of subordinates, hallways, etc. Indifference and inabilty to understand what it takes to successfully launch product, expectations on deliverables extremely high internally and from customer not realisitic. Program financial management systems inept and inadequate.

Must staff accordingly to support programs. Senior leadership needs to be less engaged and create a layered heirachary to delegate responsibility off to working level, rather than be responsible for every financial decision taken. Program Managers need empowerment on financial decisions and additional support on delegation of financial documentation.

It's not what your company can do for you, but what you can do for your company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seymour, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seymour, IN

I have been working at Valeo Sylvania

Pros

To be honest the pay is great. I have not found anywhere locally that offers the same salaries. Many places are close but none that are on target.

Cons

The salary that you make is also one of the major cons. You make good enough money that you are almost stuck because to leave you would definitely take a pay cut.

They refuse to promote within and always elect to hire outside of the company.

They froze our pensions.

They forcefully made us disband our Employee Association which held fundraisers throughout the year to fund things like our company picnic.

They stopped having company picnics, employee appreciation days, and attendance recognition.

Management seems to have a sincere lack of goodwill towards us as employees. The only recognition received is when you do something wrong...never when you do something right.

Human Resources should be renamed to Management Resources as they seem to always go against the hourly associates.

It is just overall a frustrating place to work. The company keeps taking away benefits and niceties that we are used to getting but they don't replace them elsewhere. Morale iis very low and it seems that doesn't matter.

Please spend a week doing the jobs that you ask the associates to do. After you realize that the goals are unrealistic reevaluate your requests. Start respecting the individuals a little more. When you take away things like a company picnic or employee appreciate day that builds resentment and truly does make us feel unappreciated. To you it may not be a big deal but to the little guy small tokens like that mean the world. This is the only place that I have heard of that someone can have a heart attack on the clock and have to be rushed to the hospital for treatment, yet they still receive points on their attendance record. I understand that you make a lot of money, have worked hard to get where you are, deserve your positions, and are fairly well educated...but do you not realize that we work hard, we are educated (hard to believe the way you treat us) and that we deserve our jobs. There is such a separation between hourly and salary. It feels like a caste system, salary is treated way better while the hourly associates are looked down upon. You may try to deny it all you want, but go on the floor and ask us. As a whole we are not bitter for no reason. Wake up and realize that we are just as vital to the companies success as management.

Worked for Valeo Sylvania? Contribute to the Community!