Valero Energy

www.valero.com

Valero Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Valero Energy – Three Rivers – “Three Rivers Refinery”

Joe Gorder

Pros
  • Great compensation and friendly work environment(in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits, relaxed atmosphere, friendly people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Silently forced into volunteering and giving part of your paycheck to United Way(in 5 reviews)

• Horrible Management, Very poor work/life balance, blatant favoritism(in 3 reviews)

Great place with balance.

Auditor (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsAmazing benefits, and caring atmosphere.

ConsVery conservative environment with old values still attached.

"Great Company...Untill my supervisor ruined it for me"

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Company,Great pay,Great benefits.Great Culture

ConsI think HR need to take the time to talk all the interns one on one and see what they think about their internship.

Advice to Senior Managementyou should be more approachable, understanding helpful. i am not a robot with four hands.

First rate company that treats its employees well

Supervisor Design Services (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsValero is the type of company that attracts long-time employees. The pay and benefits are very good, the culture is professional, but not stuffy and the leadership is commendable. As a supervisor I had rock solid employees working for me, making my job much easier. If you like to volunteer in the community this company has opportunities year-round. There is an on-site fitness facility and a cafeteria so you can eat healthy and exercise and never leave the facility.

ConsNot sure if there are enough career opportunities to reward employees who do good work and stay with the company a long time. Can be somewhat averse to new ideas and doing things differently, but this can also be a good quality at times.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work at for a college student.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsI loved working here while I was a college student. The hours were very flexible. The manager was the best! the best part about working at Valero was that I was able to work alone and with a team and it always felt like you were your own boss.

ConsThe pay was waaayyyy to low. It was my first job, but after working here for a year, my pay only went up by .50/hr. I was a VERY hard worker. Also, my co-workers were there for 5+ years and were only getting paid a little above minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your workers more.

Good beginner job

SAP Specialist (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood associates. • Tasked with providing professional services, solutions, and advisory services to over 350 healthcare providers in the areas of Health Information Management, Healthcare Technology, Revenue Cycle, ICD-10, & Finance & Accounting.

ConsSometimes the compensation structure is not clear. And there problems as you move in the hierarchy.
    Took 2 Weeks into the job before all the payroll paperwork had been done. this made me and my team have to leave site just to get Kforce Paperwork done so we could get paid for the work we had already done. Very Poor planning on their part.

About par for the course.

Senior Process Engineer (Current Employee) Port Arthur, TX

ProsGood pay. Good benefits.

ConsOverall, management has a problem separating their personal favorites from the better performers. Doing so fosters an environment where those on the front line will drag their feet or figure a way to resist, challenge or oppose any ideas from the top just simply out of spite. In times of great operating margins, this results in leaving money (profit) on the table. In times of tight operating margins, this can result in a negative cash flow as opposed to a positive one.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great for management to consider being more objective when choosing who to promote into key leadership positions.

Conservative company with good work ethic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, relaxed atmosphere, friendly people

ConsNo opportunities for growth laid out

Worst Job ever!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe Co-Workers and the regular customers

ConsEverything else from management, dumb cameras everywhere, mindset and mentality of the workplace, no breaks, no discount for purchases which is unbelievable, long hours (my weekends never existed), low morale, and this place is just horrible!
    Never Again!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementWolves in sheeps clothing. I aint no sheep Im a guard dog! Never met people who are so senile! They appear friendly but will doublecross you when it suits them!

My time at Valero was valuable.

Associate Scheduler (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsI received a lot of training but very few advancement opportunities for women.

ConsThe company is getting away from its moto, "employees are our best asset". Now money and public perception are the companies best asset.

Not a great place to work.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWithin 2 weeks of being hired, I began training for the Assistant Manager position. Since the store I was at already had an assistant manager, the manager would train me on his duties, as well. I loved it! There were no positions available for AM in any store near us, so I stayed as CSR, got better raises because of doing AM and SM tasks.

ConsOnce I was relocated, I worked with one manager for a few months before he quit. It was unexpected. I was now "Acting Manager" for this store. I was fine with that, because it got me more experience. Once they hired a new manager, he quit, unexpectedly, after a few months. I talked to the Area Manager about training me to be a Manager for this store. He humored me for a bit. Then, the last SM came in. I ran the store for about 7 months total. When she ran the store, she started upsetting our regulars because she wasn't ordering correctly. I had worked with her multiple times trying to explain what our customers like. She told me "I was brought in here to make this store better, because the girl running it couldn't cut it, so I'm going to do this my way." That was a direct attack at me. They only pay $7.35 when you are hired, and every 3 months you get a review done. The pay raises were: $0.05 for unsatisfactory (which required another review after 30 days. If it was still the same, you were let go), $0.10 for satisfactory, and $0.25 for above satisfactory (which was not to be given out unless you were doing what I did, which is be an AM without the AM pay and benefits). Once I did finally get my AM title, I got a $0.51 raise. Woo....$8.76 to be an assistant manager to a manager that refused to respond to employee's urgent calls, and refused to respond on the 2 occasions our store was broken into. I had to go up there, instead. I wouldn't have minded, but the whole time we are there, we have to be on the clock. Well, that put me into overtime, so I got yelled at for it. I got yelled at because the manager couldn't do her job, so I had to. Then, after finally getting that store in some sort of order, talking to customers and letting them know we were going through a change, basically begging them not to stop shopping with us, and doing everything I could to keep are customer base up; I get accused of stealing. I told them I was not stealing and I asked them to put a camera out where the theft was happening, so they could clear me, and they said it would cost too much. They refused to look at the fact that the theft began as soon as our new manager came in, and just kept saying I did it. For weeks, I fought with them on this. I finally gave up one day, though. I was having constant panic attacks before I worked here, but with everything they were saying about me and the fact that they wouldn't listen to me, it just made everything worse. I finally just walked in and tossed my keys over the counter and let the manager know I wouldn't be returning. I figure, there's no more room for advancement for me here. They think I'm a thief, and even though, I've done everything possible to show them that it wasn't me, they refused to look at anyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to look in the right places when you think you have an employee stealing. Just because someone is the manager of that store, it doesn't mean they aren't stealing.

Worked for Valero Energy? Contribute to the Community!