Valero Energy
www.valero.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Valero Energy Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014
Valero Energy – Three Rivers – “Three Rivers Refinery”

Valero Energy Chairman and CEO Bill Klesse

Bill Klesse

Pros:
  • "Great compensation and friendly work environment"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great benefits, great salaries, I had great bosses and flexibility"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Silently forced into volunteering and giving part of your paycheck to United Way"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Horrible Management, Very poor work/life balance, blatant favoritism"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a great place to work as an intern

I have been working at Valero Energy

ProsVery stable company that created a pleasant work environment. Very committed to their employees.

ConsI had to work in Port Arthur, which is one of the companies older locations. I still have never heard back from their HR department.

Unremarkable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Wilmington, CA

I worked at Valero Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent compensation and benefits after you have been for awhile. Knows how to raise safety awareness. Volunteer acitivites are robust.

ConsLittle direction on how to advance in the company, little to no active development even for employees that are high potential contributors. Upper management are a) overly secretive and b) deceptive at times. Outright lied to by Corporate and HR who talked me into staying until after the new year to recieve an annual bonus, then after I left changed their minds without bothering to communicate that. Slimy. Entire department turned over whlil I was there, 5 years. That did not appear to phase anyone much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you say you are going to do. People get restless when changes are no communicated well - so, communicate.

Among my favorite bosses

Vice President Natural Gas (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsTom Devins and Bill Klesse were great bosses. The company has great benefits. The offices are beautiful. The company has a strong balance sheet and can close deals quickly. The company values honesty and has great leadership.

ConsThe company has partial ownership of many stores (over 1100) nationwide and some could be spiffed up.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. You are amazing and continue to make me smile.

Not a favorable environment for contractors

Process Engineer (Former Employee)
Benicia, CA

I worked at Valero Energy as a contractor for more than a year

ProsDecent people, although the overall employee morale left something to be desired. Small refinery is convenient and easy to access. Good resources available to help complete the job.

ConsToo much of a police-state mentality. Worst internet policy of any company I've served; basic resources like personal E-mail are considered in violation of computing policies. Company in general does not appear to respect contractors and makes little effort to retain them when the economy heads south. Contractors further receive all employee E-mail invites for venues, picnics, and the like but are never allowed to attend. Unlike every other refinery in the area, the company does not offer a flexible 9/80 work schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above.

Great company to work for lots of upward potential but expect slow growth upwards.

I have been working at Valero Energy

ProsAbility to move upward, competitive salary, great company culture that makes giving back to the community a priority, great perks such as company events and tickets to different events

ConsSlow growth based more on years served then performance

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and reward exceptional performance with promotions or raises out of the norm otherwise you gain but fail to retain exceptional talent hurting the company in the long run.

Job

Cashier (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Valero Energy part-time for more than a year

ProsEasy intro job and work.

ConsFeels like wasting time at job, just waiting to get off the shift.

Salary is too low, they have a high turnover rate

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time

ProsWork and life balance is good

ConsLow salary makes people look for another job in less than one year

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more and plan careers people

Despite not having any breaks I enjoyed my time at valero.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Valero Energy part-time for more than a year

ProsGood amount of hours, friendly staff, great customers.

ConsEmployees were not given any lunch breaks.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees deserve breaks when they work hard.

GREAT Benefits, Very Secure, Very Conservative

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBest overall benefit package I've ever had. Includes options for long-term care insurance, catastrophic illness benefits, legal plan, vision plan, retirement (7% company 401k match with 100% vesting in 5 years) and defined-benefit pension including retiree health benefit contribution, and superior medical/dental coverage (equivalent of platinum Obamacare coverage).

Great schedule.

Annual raises on schedule--even through worst recession years and a period of company unprofitability.

Company is very community-minded, encourages volunteer work and big United Way supporter, as well as favored local charities in each specific location.

Comprehensive training and development plans. Promote from within policies. Clear career paths for advancement for those in management, operations, or engineers.

Extremely strong commitment to worker/workplace safety across the board in a dangerous industry.

Annual bonuses tied to overall company performance (ranging from 50% to 200% of one month's salary).

ConsVery conservative company dominated by Texas-based headquarters.

Many highly repetitive, low challenge jobs.

Little to no opportunity for advancement if not in management, operations, engineering or retail (but that covers most of the company).

Very bureaucratic/authoritarian corporate culture.

Many jobs are on 12-hour shifts with mandatory graveyard shifts regularly.

Very male-dominated corporate culture, with a very skewed ratio of male to female employees in operations, engineering, and management. Good environment for racial minorities; neutral to negative environment for women and LGBT employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake concerted effort to dial-back bureaucratic/authoritiarian culture and do more to promote diversity. Do more to create a positive, supportive environment for women and LGBT employees. HR communication should be better, especially be more honest and transparent when cutting retirement/benefit package to control corporate costs which has been very significant last two years.

Horrible Management

Renewables Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Valero Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent pay and benefits for the area.

ConsHorrible Management, Very poor work/life balance, blatant favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking advantage of your good employees and playing favorites with all the ones that kiss your butts!

Worked for Valero Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Valero Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Valero Energy CEO Bill Klesse. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Valero Energy employees.