Valero Energy

Employer Engaged

Valero Welcome

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Operator in Welcome, MN
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Operator in Welcome, MN

I worked at Valero Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits moderate pay other than that there isn't anything good about how people are treated by management.

Cons

The Valero Welcome plant is ran by people who look down upon the employees and choose to treat the employees as though they don't know anything. The employees work their fingers to the bone for peanuts while the administration and management's pockets are padded and they take the credit for all of our hard work.

The employees are forced to volunteer at (Valero approved only) events in the community and to donate to the United Way. If you don't do either of these things you are harassed by administration until they get you to do these things. You could be the most exemplary employee ever but you don't volunteer as much time and money as they think you should be you don't get your yearly bonus or pay raise.

The shipping department and scalehouse workers are dumped on. The scalehouse personal are on their feet for 9 sometimes 10 hours a day Monday through Friday and sometimes Saturday with minimal if any breaks at all. The shipping department gets stuck doing all the crap jobs that maintenance doesn't want to have to do. There are a few people in the department who do as little as possible and others end up having to pick up the slack for them and nothing gets done about it no matter how much we complain to the supervisor.

The people responsible for getting corn into the plant are so poor at getting corn into the plant that the shipping and receiving/scalehouse department gets stuck having to deal with management's problems while management is all at home with their families on the weekends. It would help if the production rate was at nameplate instead of ubove nameplate by an ungodly amount.

The S&R department has had 4 supervisors in the past 5 years and they still don't have the right person for the job. We are lied to on a daily basis and the employees are told one thing while management is told something different. We get blamed for things that we had nothing to do with and our words get turned around to make us all sound like we're the stupid ones instead of the one who really is.

I would never recommend this facility to anyone. The favoritism and the "It's my way or the highway" Attitude my local and corporate management is pathetic. Don't even get me started on the HR department. Worst HR dept. I have ever had the misfortune of working with.

Stop treating you employees like crap and padding your own pockets while they work their butt off. Start listening to the employees when they have problems or when they voice their opinions on things.

Engineering Internship

Former Intern - Energy and Gasses On-going Engineering in San Antonio, TX
    Former Intern - Energy and Gasses On-going Engineering in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Valero Energy as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, lots of amenities and benefits, great boss

Cons

Very introverted working environment, not many young people

Summer Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Valero Energy as an intern

Pros

It was a really great work environment. Enjoyed the people I worked with and definitely learned a lot. I would recommend this opportunity to others!

Cons

I really enjoyed everything during my internship.

Valero

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, great benefits, good pay

Cons

Opportunities elsewhere sound like they pay more

Good place to work if you are interested

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time

Pros

Employees are highly valued, and the professional environment is good. I like the quality and color of their uniform, which you get for free. They are also very conscious about your safety when you work at store, so they give you device that you can connect to related authority in case of emergency. One thing they didn't want at my place was employees working overtime. They have good career advancement opportunities depending on where and how you work.

Cons

You won't usually get overtime even if you want. That's one of the reasons I quit, because at that I needed a job that gave me overtime.

High-level managers should communicate to low-level employees or clerks to learn what's going on at what level.

If you work at a male dominated company in Texas is that an oxymoron?

Current Employee - IT Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In San Antonio there are few head quartered companies, so locally it is considered a great place.

Cons

Few or no personal growth opportunities unless they have to with Valero sponsored charities. Professional accreditation's are hard to maintain as academic or other qualifications or certifications are not valued as most employees here worked their way up. Men are rewarded on their potential, women rewarded on deliverables.

The tight grip on spending does not always translate into savings or productivity. Employee loyalty is born from respect, mutual and otherwise.

Was in charge of an area in the Los Angels area

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Valero Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good training, benefits and salary

Cons

Lots of micro-managing taking place

none

Great workplace environment and people

I have been working at Valero Energy

Pros

People, culture, benefits, continuing education and facilities. Hours are great and a lot of flexibility with regards to people with families.

Cons

Promotions are based more on time as opposed to performance based. Opportunities to move up are limited, most people end up making a lot of lateral moves to learn something new.

Consider bonus for attaining CPA. Allow greater flexibility for promotion based on performance as opposed to time

Good job for college students;although, management is unprofessional, scandalous.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some customers are very nice, can be fun, free refills when working, very minimal supervision ( no one in your face the whole time) which is a good thing because most managers steal, are on drugs, and don't even know how to do their jobs.

Cons

Managers steal, majority of workers are on drugs, trashy co-workers, management treat CSRs horrible, trick you out of raises.

Get an education, stop stealing, get drug tested. Try to look more professional if you expect CSRs to respect you.

Senior Level Management Has NO Idea What is going on with it's Employees or What They're Good At.

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is on par with other refinery's in the San Francisco Bay area. The Benicia Refinery used to be the area leader in pay and benefits but now is satisfied to be an also ran. The CEO cut stock options out for middle management, and promotions are based on far more on popularity than actual competence. Most hourly employees are educated and good at what they do. Senior Management has NO knowledge of what other skills staff their staff has, sadly..., and this is a direct quote from the HR Director "we don't care, we hire them for a specific jobs".

Cons

Management only cares about image..., whether it's charity work, or safety...., it's all about the corporate image, if it's a benefit to the company. No real employee

Valero Energy Photos