Valero Energy Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

Valero Energy CEO and President Joe Gorder
Joe Gorder

Pros
  • Great compensation and friendly work environment (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits, relaxed atmosphere, friendly people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Silently forced into volunteering and giving part of your paycheck to United Way (in 5 reviews)

• Horrible Management, Very poor work/life balance, blatant favoritism (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work at for a college student.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working here while I was a college student. The hours were very flexible. The manager was the best! the best part about working at Valero was that I was able to work alone and with a team and it always felt like you were your own boss.

Cons

The pay was waaayyyy to low. It was my first job, but after working here for a year, my pay only went up by .50/hr. I was a VERY hard worker. Also, my co-workers were there for 5+ years and were only getting paid a little above minimum wage.

Reward your workers more.

Good beginner job

Current Employee - SAP Specialist  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - SAP Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good associates. • Tasked with providing professional services, solutions, and advisory services to over 350 healthcare providers in the areas of Health Information Management, Healthcare Technology, Revenue Cycle, ICD-10, & Finance & Accounting.

Cons

Sometimes the compensation structure is not clear. And there problems as you move in the hierarchy.
    Took 2 Weeks into the job before all the payroll paperwork had been done. this made me and my team have to leave site just to get Kforce Paperwork done so we could get paid for the work we had already done. Very Poor planning on their part.

About par for the course.

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer  in  Port Arthur, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Port Arthur, TX

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits.

Cons

Overall, management has a problem separating their personal favorites from the better performers. Doing so fosters an environment where those on the front line will drag their feet or figure a way to resist, challenge or oppose any ideas from the top just simply out of spite. In times of great operating margins, this results in leaving money (profit) on the table. In times of tight operating margins, this can result in a negative cash flow as opposed to a positive one.

It would be great for management to consider being more objective when choosing who to promote into key leadership positions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Conservative company with good work ethic

I worked at Valero Energy

Pros

Great benefits, relaxed atmosphere, friendly people

Cons

No opportunities for growth laid out

Worst Job ever!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Valero Energy part-time for less than a year

Pros

The Co-Workers and the regular customers

Cons

Everything else from management, dumb cameras everywhere, mindset and mentality of the workplace, no breaks, no discount for purchases which is unbelievable, long hours (my weekends never existed), low morale, and this place is just horrible!
    Never Again!!!

Wolves in sheeps clothing. I aint no sheep Im a guard dog! Never met people who are so senile! They appear friendly but will doublecross you when it suits them!

My time at Valero was valuable.

Former Employee - Associate Scheduler  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Scheduler in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I received a lot of training but very few advancement opportunities for women.

Cons

The company is getting away from its moto, "employees are our best asset". Now money and public perception are the companies best asset.

Not a great place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Within 2 weeks of being hired, I began training for the Assistant Manager position. Since the store I was at already had an assistant manager, the manager would train me on his duties, as well. I loved it! There were no positions available for AM in any store near us, so I stayed as CSR, got better raises because of doing AM and SM tasks.

Cons

Once I was relocated, I worked with one manager for a few months before he quit. It was unexpected. I was now "Acting Manager" for this store. I was fine with that, because it got me more experience. Once they hired a new manager, he quit, unexpectedly, after a few months. I talked to the Area Manager about training me to be a Manager for this store. He humored me for a bit. Then, the last SM came in. I ran the store for about 7 months total. When she ran the store, she started upsetting our regulars because she wasn't ordering correctly. I had worked with her multiple times trying to explain what our customers like. She told me "I was brought in here to make this store better, because the girl running it couldn't cut it, so I'm going to do this my way." That was a direct attack at me. They only pay $7.35 when you are hired, and every 3 months you get a review done. The pay raises were: $0.05 for unsatisfactory (which required another review after 30 days. If it was still the same, you were let go), $0.10 for satisfactory, and $0.25 for above satisfactory (which was not to be given out unless you were doing what I did, which is be an AM without the AM pay and benefits). Once I did finally get my AM title, I got a $0.51 raise. Woo....$8.76 to be an assistant manager to a manager that refused to respond to employee's urgent calls, and refused to respond on the 2 occasions our store was broken into. I had to go up there, instead. I wouldn't have minded, but the whole time we are there, we have to be on the clock. Well, that put me into overtime, so I got yelled at for it. I got yelled at because the manager couldn't do her job, so I had to. Then, after finally getting that store in some sort of order, talking to customers and letting them know we were going through a change, basically begging them not to stop shopping with us, and doing everything I could to keep are customer base up; I get accused of stealing. I told them I was not stealing and I asked them to put a camera out where the theft was happening, so they could clear me, and they said it would cost too much. They refused to look at the fact that the theft began as soon as our new manager came in, and just kept saying I did it. For weeks, I fought with them on this. I finally gave up one day, though. I was having constant panic attacks before I worked here, but with everything they were saying about me and the fact that they wouldn't listen to me, it just made everything worse. I finally just walked in and tossed my keys over the counter and let the manager know I wouldn't be returning. I figure, there's no more room for advancement for me here. They think I'm a thief, and even though, I've done everything possible to show them that it wasn't me, they refused to look at anyone else.

Learn to look in the right places when you think you have an employee stealing. Just because someone is the manager of that store, it doesn't mean they aren't stealing.

bad experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

the owner in never there so you will probably feel more comfortable while working

Cons

he will over work you with no paid overtime and he will take way too much money when it comes to taxes on your paycheck he will take advantage of you

he needs to pay better and be more organize with the schedule

Unremarkable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wilmington, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, CA

I worked at Valero Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits after you have been for awhile. Knows how to raise safety awareness. Volunteer acitivites are robust.

Cons

Little direction on how to advance in the company, little to no active development even for employees that are high potential contributors. Upper management are a) overly secretive and b) deceptive at times. Outright lied to by Corporate and HR who talked me into staying until after the new year to recieve an annual bonus, then after I left changed their minds without bothering to communicate that. Slimy. Entire department turned over whlil I was there, 5 years. That did not appear to phase anyone much.

Do what you say you are going to do. People get restless when changes are no communicated well - so, communicate.

It was a great place to work as an intern

I have been working at Valero Energy

Pros

Very stable company that created a pleasant work environment. Very committed to their employees.

Cons

I had to work in Port Arthur, which is one of the companies older locations. I still have never heard back from their HR department.

Worked for Valero Energy? Contribute to the Community!