Valero Energy

Updated December 15, 2014
3.5

Valero Energy CEO and President Joe Gorder
Joe Gorder

Pros
  • It was a really great work environment (in 8 reviews)

• good company with good benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Silently forced into volunteering and giving part of your paycheck to United Way (in 7 reviews)

• struggle with work life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

bad experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the owner in never there so you will probably feel more comfortable while working

Cons

he will over work you with no paid overtime and he will take way too much money when it comes to taxes on your paycheck he will take advantage of you

he needs to pay better and be more organize with the schedule

Unremarkable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, CA

I worked at Valero Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits after you have been for awhile. Knows how to raise safety awareness. Volunteer acitivites are robust.

Cons

Little direction on how to advance in the company, little to no active development even for employees that are high potential contributors. Upper management are a) overly secretive and b) deceptive at times. Outright lied to by Corporate and HR who talked me into staying until after the new year to recieve an annual bonus, then after I left changed their minds without bothering to communicate that. Slimy. Entire department turned over whlil I was there, 5 years. That did not appear to phase anyone much.

Do what you say you are going to do. People get restless when changes are no communicated well - so, communicate.

It was a great place to work as an intern

I have been working at Valero Energy

Pros

Very stable company that created a pleasant work environment. Very committed to their employees.

Cons

I had to work in Port Arthur, which is one of the companies older locations. I still have never heard back from their HR department.

Among my favorite bosses

Former Employee - Vice President Natural Gas in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President Natural Gas in Houston, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tom Devins and Bill Klesse were great bosses. The company has great benefits. The offices are beautiful. The company has a strong balance sheet and can close deals quickly. The company values honesty and has great leadership.

Cons

The company has partial ownership of many stores (over 1100) nationwide and some could be spiffed up.

None. You are amazing and continue to make me smile.

Not a favorable environment for contractors

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Benicia, CA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Benicia, CA

I worked at Valero Energy as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Decent people, although the overall employee morale left something to be desired. Small refinery is convenient and easy to access. Good resources available to help complete the job.

Cons

Too much of a police-state mentality. Worst internet policy of any company I've served; basic resources like personal E-mail are considered in violation of computing policies. Company in general does not appear to respect contractors and makes little effort to retain them when the economy heads south. Contractors further receive all employee E-mail invites for venues, picnics, and the like but are never allowed to attend. Unlike every other refinery in the area, the company does not offer a flexible 9/80 work schedule.

See above.

Great company to work for lots of upward potential but expect slow growth upwards.

I have been working at Valero Energy

Pros

Ability to move upward, competitive salary, great company culture that makes giving back to the community a priority, great perks such as company events and tickets to different events

Cons

Slow growth based more on years served then performance

Recognize and reward exceptional performance with promotions or raises out of the norm otherwise you gain but fail to retain exceptional talent hurting the company in the long run.

Job

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Valero Energy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy intro job and work.

Cons

Feels like wasting time at job, just waiting to get off the shift.

Salary is too low, they have a high turnover rate

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time

Pros

Work and life balance is good

Cons

Low salary makes people look for another job in less than one year

Pay more and plan careers people

Despite not having any breaks I enjoyed my time at valero.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Valero Energy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good amount of hours, friendly staff, great customers.

Cons

Employees were not given any lunch breaks.

Employees deserve breaks when they work hard.

GREAT Benefits, Very Secure, Very Conservative

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best overall benefit package I've ever had. Includes options for long-term care insurance, catastrophic illness benefits, legal plan, vision plan, retirement (7% company 401k match with 100% vesting in 5 years) and defined-benefit pension including retiree health benefit contribution, and superior medical/dental coverage (equivalent of platinum Obamacare coverage).

Great schedule.

Annual raises on schedule--even through worst recession years and a period of company unprofitability.

Company is very community-minded, encourages volunteer work and big United Way supporter, as well as favored local charities in each specific location.

Comprehensive training and development plans. Promote from within policies. Clear career paths for advancement for those in management, operations, or engineers.

Extremely strong commitment to worker/workplace safety across the board in a dangerous industry.

Annual bonuses tied to overall company performance (ranging from 50% to 200% of one month's salary).

Cons

Very conservative company dominated by Texas-based headquarters.

Many highly repetitive, low challenge jobs.

Little to no opportunity for advancement if not in management, operations, engineering or retail (but that covers most of the company).

Very bureaucratic/authoritarian corporate culture.

Many jobs are on 12-hour shifts with mandatory graveyard shifts regularly.

Very male-dominated corporate culture, with a very skewed ratio of male to female employees in operations, engineering, and management. Good environment for racial minorities; neutral to negative environment for women and LGBT employees.

Make concerted effort to dial-back bureaucratic/authoritiarian culture and do more to promote diversity. Do more to create a positive, supportive environment for women and LGBT employees. HR communication should be better, especially be more honest and transparent when cutting retirement/benefit package to control corporate costs which has been very significant last two years.

Valero Energy Photos