Valerus Reviews

3.2
Steve R. Gill

Minimal 'Layers' with a Team Approach

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Valerus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As of a year ago this is a Whole New Company. It is a fun place to work. Everyone works as a team to be successful. There are not a lot of management layers or bureaucracy. My opinion matters, senior management is approachable and they work with everyone on a daily basis.

Cons

Corporate location is downtown. This can be a daunting drive depending on where you live.

Advice to Management

Better Coffee; it is truly terrible.

2. Project Engineer

Former Employee - Project Engineer II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Engineer II in Houston, TX

I worked at Valerus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company provides great benefits and if you are in the right group you can be provided with great opportunities to learn.

Cons

If you are not in the right group you maybe wasting your time. Valerus hires a lot of employees when they acquire a big job so they may bill hours and as soon as the project dies down, they will let people go. They will also ask you to go beyond your field of study whether you have experience in that area or not. Managers belittle employees and rule through fear especially with the current job market.

Advice to Management

Hire managers and directors that will follow the code of ethics of the company and treat your employees the way they deserve.

3. Employees job scared

Former Employee - Manufacturing Manager
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Manager

I worked at Valerus

Pros

shop floor associates are the best

Cons

GM needs to get away from the MY or the HIGHWAY thiking

Advice to Management

give a grip on how to run a shop

Not much job security

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Valerus (Less than a year)

Pros

good corporate location, decent engineering staff

Cons

no job security, management always trying to out-do one another, manufacturing is lagging behind competitors, expected to drive out to shop 3 days a week (1-3 hour drive both ways depending on where you live).

Advice to Management

stop only looking out for yourselves

Expect Long Hours, Poor Work Life Balance

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at Valerus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers more freedom than most. They don't mind how you manage your time as long as you get your work done. The caveat is, if you decide to work hard, get your work done fast enough to leave at 5 or 6, they will give you more work to get you to stay longer.

Cons

Long hours are to be expected. Processes are not fully in place. Lots of turnover. Lots of turnover in management the last two to three years. I left the company before they were acquired by Kentz and later SNC Lavalin, so I don't know how that has impacted the company. I have received mixed reviews from former colleagues. The culture can be competitive at times as well and it can be difficult to get things done. Co-workers are not always co-operative.

Advice to Management

Get standardized processes. Don't reward people working longer hours who are doing the same amount of work as people who finish early. Need better compensation due to long hours.

BONUS SCAM

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Valerus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Banner year last year, great coworkers, great manager. Updated corporate office interior.

Cons

Banner year and upper management talked about great bonus's coming out. Managers were setup by upper management and blindside their employees. Managers were asked to complete employee evaluations, these were then turned around and used against employees. If you scored under a 3 average you received only one quarter of your bonus. Company has also had layoffs which they won't call layoffs.

Advice to Management

The decision to weight evaluations was behind the scenes and totally off the cuff. This has never been emailed out to the employees or managers to know about. Trying to pay as little as possible, always something to lower bonus's. 75% is crazy. These people worked their tail off for the banner year and the company wouldn't hire more people to assist with the workload. If the market was better this company would be experiencing a mass employee exit.

8. The plant manager does not care about quality or employees.

Former Employee - Assembly in Longview, TX
    Former Employee - Assembly in Longview, TX

I worked at Valerus (Less than a year)

Pros

Used to be a good place to work until they let an idiot run in. As of 3/5/2015 they are very low on business.

Cons

Cons of this job far outweigh the pros. The company is under ran. Quality isn't stressed as long as the product meets the time limit. Which means a very poor product will be ok'd by upper management. Working in assembly and as a welder I was told work faster not safer. If your looking for a good job and have a family this is not the place. they expect you to work like a robot without the pay to compensate you. Everyone walks around like zombies constantly depressed.

Advice to Management

Stress quality over timeliness in order to retain your customers in the dwindling oil and gas field. Treat your employees like people.

Roller coaster

I have been working at Valerus

Pros

Employees are great, they just don't stay long enough.

Cons

Employee turnover is extremely high.

Advice to Management

Communicate direction of company

Good Company

Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at Valerus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has some very good people. This is a comparatively smaller company, but it creates opportunities for people who want to create a greater impact and grow faster. The mindset is very entrepreneurial, and those who put in the effort and stand by their convictions are rewarded. I can certainly say that I see growth and diversity, as it compares to most other oil and gas companies at a higher level. They leverage their leaders here, and push those who have the desire to succeed to reach that goal. The company has a strong backlog of work, and a very strong business outlook, it is not perfect, but what they are building is in line with leadership's vision, and what I believe to be in the best interests of all employees. The benefits are strong, better than my previous company, who I thought had pretty good benefits overall.

Cons

The company can improve in some areas of compensation and communication. They would also be benefitted by an educational assistance program.

Advice to Management

The leaders have proven in my interaction to be moving in the right direction. I would like to see greater visibility, and more "town halls", but to their credit, they are straight to the point when the times for these events arrive, and don't seem to sugarcoat or sidestep.

Great People

I have been working at Valerus full-time

Pros

The people here help each other to be better employees. There is a wealth of knowledge in this company and it's an excellent place to learn. We have a charismatic leadership team and our CEO is down to earth. The company strives to reward hard work and is getting better everyday at recognizing individual employee's efforts.

Cons

No tuition reimbursement yet. Corporate Goals and the Strategy to achieve them does not resonate enough. Some need to be reminded that Exceeding Customer Expectations is one of our goals before making a decision. While we are getting better there is still talent that goes unrecognized and could be a great value if given the opportunity and coaching. Not necessarily a Con but we are still adjusting and learning about our new parent company in the acquisition.

Advice to Management

Our goals and strategy do not resonate enough. Leadership should foster collaboration from all Valerus employees to determine our goals and together set a strategy of achieving them. Our goals and strategy should resonate throughout the year and guide decision making.

RSS Feed </> Embed