Valet Park of America

Theodore L. Chagnon

Valet kinda sucks.....kinda

Former Employee - Valet in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Valet in Springfield, MA

I worked at Valet Park of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great exercise. Good tip sometimes. drive various cars for short time (so you can say you drove a porche to people). Friendly workers

Cons

When your start the employers basically treat you like pawns. Expect crazy work hours or having to wake up so early to work at a separate city which can take up your whole day.

Treat your workers better. Valet are not machines.

management is shot

I have been working at Valet Park of America full-time

Pros

its a fun job you deal with alot of people its killer customer service experience you make people feel good if its at a hospital and you drive some fun cars ive driven my dream car a few times its a really flexible schedule if you need it amd you can work a ton of hours if thats what you want also get to go to a few cool spots like mountains and islands and racetracks and stuff

Cons

the management is terrible ive actually became management myself and ill be the first t say they dont take care of theyre employees especially since they asksooooo much we bust tail in cold or hot days sometimes non stop sprinting to and from cars and we have to keep a smile the whole time even if were soaking wet as a manager for a long time now ill say it the service we provide is the very best because we ony keep the good employees but we have to find the ones that will put up with being used as a manager i feel discoyraged sometimes and the company from headquarters and dow the management line doesnt feel any need or want to take care of empoyees theyll put you where you dont want they make you work holidays even if you ask them off and t seems like they punish you for taking days off if it seems to mess up theyre scheduling also just ask so much and dont compensate you enough at all they want you to go so far out of your way but they pay you garbage and tips make it to be just barely minimum wage also you have to deal with jerks of people/customers and have to drive some nasty cars dirty moldy ashy smelly cars

start caring pay a little more to make it worth it enforce stupid rulesand policies that you act like is important but dont seem to care and listen to what your managers and employees have to say and theyre input

Managers are horrible!!!!

Former Employee - Valet in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Valet in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Valet Park of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meet great people! Coustermers are great and coworkers.

Cons

Management is very unfair!!! Norwalk location especially.

Don't treat people like numbers. Employees want to be treated fair.

Stretched thin

Former Employee - Valet
    Former Employee - Valet

I worked at Valet Park of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great exercise
    Good tips at a few locations
    Generally good coworkers

Cons

Upper management does what they want without any regard for you
    Long driving distances without proper reinbursement

Appreciate the work your valets do for you and take care of them.

In torrential down pour or heart-slowing bitter cold, you are out there running.

Current Employee - Valet Attendant in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Valet Attendant in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Valet Park of America part-time (less than an year)

Pros

lots of exercise, learn to drive every car imaginable -including high profile sports cars, big trucks and vans and hummers. You will be able to reverse park into Incan rock crevices and not scratch the car by the end of your tenure.

Cons

hours in the elements make you feel like you are training for Special Forces. You can do everything right and still wind up scratching someone's car due to the human element in a highly variable environment that involves constant traffic and humans. Some people drive around in literal trash heaps; if you were to scoop up several pounds of rubbish from the city dump and drop all of it into someone's old car, you would have what some of the customers hand to you to park for them -it leaves you feeling a little dirty once you step out of those :) They don't pay those guys enough to do what they are doing.

I can't say I have a problem with you guys. You were pretty chilled. Its just the nature of the job that a man can only take for so long.

They're lucky no one has time or money to take them to court.

I worked at Valet Park of America

Pros

They will provide you with how ever many hours you want to work, from part time to full time.
    Great job for an athletic young person starting out in the work force.
    You can work a normal 5-6 day a week 8 hour shift or overnights at the ER or short shifts at events for great tips.
    There are some great people working in management, who truly care about their coworkers and make it a fun and relaxed work shift.
    Not a bad job for the summer time.
    I can now say I've been in some incredibly expensive nice cars from working events.

Cons

There are also some horrible people working in management who are very rarely disciplined.

The whole company seems to be over-all unorganized, losing tips / not refunding returned uniforms in a timely fashion, he/said-she/said kind of atmosphere, lack of professionalism when dealing with coworkers.

The work is either extremely busy and fast paced or it is dead slow.

The job of a valet involves running; if you are injured by this they do not listen to doctors orders, they expect you to run.

They will make you work (even at the hospital) sick, even if you are highly contagious with something like the flu.
    Which they tell the general public it is against their policy but they will still not let you go home.
    Which is so irresponsible and could contribute to the death of newborns or the elderly. PLEASE STOP DOING THAT, VPA!!!

You also can be fired for having the flu and having to call out sick for a few days because you don't want to infect people at the hospital.

You will have to work in blizzards, snow storms, rain, hail, even when there is a state of emergency.
    And you will get the flu and you will be fired because of it.

If you apply for a valet position make sure they are clear with you about the hourly wage. Each area has a different pay rate. It's very easy to work harder and make the same amount that you would otherwise. They lower the hourly wage when it is an area known to pay out more in tips.

Some do well at this company, most do not. For the most part it doesn't matter how hard you try. It really depends if you can befriend the right people.

Also, if you are a woman and applying for a valet position proceed with caution and that's all I'm going to say about that.

As I said, Do not force valet attendants to work with a contagious illness at any location but definitely not at the hospitals. Make sure that all managers are made aware that they need to send those employees home and they will not face consequences.

Have a better system for collecting and redistributing tips instead of just writing on a tiny piece of paper and throwing them in a box all rolled up together. They get lost or stolen constantly!

If you have an employee that is injured you need to follow the law and respect doctors orders. Give them a desk job until they heal.

Adjust payment of employees to cost of living in MA and don't mislead people who apply that they will be making more than they actually will.

If you treat your employees with respect you will have respectable employees and the company as a whole will thrive.

Apr 10, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. I'd like to address each issue one at a time.

"Management can be very cliquey and don't follow appropriate procedures dealing with at work harassment and abuse." - I
    ... More

Decent Management, Below Average Pay, Hard Hours

Current Employee - Valet in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Valet in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Valet Park of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, When to Work online community, fun employees

Cons

Terrible hours, bad management, hard to advance. On call system is awful

Focus on rewarding hard work.

Aug 1, 2013Director of HR

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding the hours - I think this comes with the service industry in general - sometimes our clients need us at all hours of the day & night. I know it can be tough and we ... More

Good for extra cash, but not interested in making it a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Valet Park of America

Pros

Extra cash, and you get to drive nice cars occasionally.

Cons

Management, terrible communication, no morale, lacking technology.

Team, lead by example, work on morale, and indulge in new technologies to make things more efficient.

Decent temp job, poor management

I have been working at Valet Park of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training takes less than 2 weeks, always opportunity for more hours, decent pay.

Cons

Poor management, you'll feel like its run by frat boys and if you can't get into the 'in' crowd then you can expect to get a terrible schedule and be walked all over. Expect to dislike it after a month. No room to be promoted.

Upper management needs to have the employees anonymous review of the management to find out what is wrong with it. Upper management takes the word of the lower management as gospel and doesn't look at why they may have a high turnover rate may be because their management team is pushing people out who are good workers.

Aug 1, 2013Director of HR

I'm surprised you feel this way. I would appreciate it if you could email me with more specific examples so I can look into this. I do feel there is room to be promoted, as we always promote from ... More

Good gig and company, but not a career job

Current Employee - Valet Attendant
    Current Employee - Valet Attendant

I have been working at Valet Park of America

Pros

Good tips (commensurate to how busy event is and how hard you work), relaxing work atmosphere, get to run a lot, drive nice cars, work with a young group of people, negligible micromanagement, flexible schedule. Work various accounts including hospitals, casinos, mountains, private parties, etc. Company is growing fast.

Cons

Drive bad cars. Although you can request certain days and times of the week off, the weekly schedule fluctuates with employees' time-offs and event changes. Limited opportunities for growth - learn what you need to know in less than 2 weeks. Employees consist of a lot of college students and young adults, meaning high turnover rates.

Aug 1, 2013Director of HR

Thanks for your review. Unfortunately to offer flexible scheduling, it also means that we have to change our schedule on a weekly basis, but we always try to accommodate as many requests as possible ... More

Valet Park of America Photos