Valet Park of America

Stretched thin

Former Employee - Valet
    Former Employee - Valet

I worked at Valet Park of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great exercise
    Good tips at a few locations
    Generally good coworkers

Cons

Upper management does what they want without any regard for you
    Long driving distances without proper reinbursement

Appreciate the work your valets do for you and take care of them.

In torrential down pour or heart-slowing bitter cold, you are out there running.

Current Employee - Valet Attendant  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Valet Attendant in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Valet Park of America part-time for less than a year

Pros

lots of exercise, learn to drive every car imaginable -including high profile sports cars, big trucks and vans and hummers. You will be able to reverse park into Incan rock crevices and not scratch the car by the end of your tenure.

Cons

hours in the elements make you feel like you are training for Special Forces. You can do everything right and still wind up scratching someone's car due to the human element in a highly variable environment that involves constant traffic and humans. Some people drive around in literal trash heaps; if you were to scoop up several pounds of rubbish from the city dump and drop all of it into someone's old car, you would have what some of the customers hand to you to park for them -it leaves you feeling a little dirty once you step out of those :) They don't pay those guys enough to do what they are doing.

I can't say I have a problem with you guys. You were pretty chilled. Its just the nature of the job that a man can only take for so long.

They're lucky no one has time or money to take them to court.

I worked at Valet Park of America

Pros

They will provide you with how ever many hours you want to work, from part time to full time.
    Great job for an athletic young person starting out in the work force.
    You can work a normal 5-6 day a week 8 hour shift or overnights at the ER or short shifts at events for great tips.
    There are some great people working in management, who truly care about their coworkers and make it a fun and relaxed work shift.
    Not a bad job for the summer time.
    I can now say I've been in some incredibly expensive nice cars from working events.

Cons

There are also some horrible people working in management who are very rarely disciplined.

The whole company seems to be over-all unorganized, losing tips / not refunding returned uniforms in a timely fashion, he/said-she/said kind of atmosphere, lack of professionalism when dealing with coworkers.

The work is either extremely busy and fast paced or it is dead slow.

The job of a valet involves running; if you are injured by this they do not listen to doctors orders, they expect you to run.

They will make you work (even at the hospital) sick, even if you are highly contagious with something like the flu.
    Which they tell the general public it is against their policy but they will still not let you go home.
    Which is so irresponsible and could contribute to the death of newborns or the elderly. PLEASE STOP DOING THAT, VPA!!!

You also can be fired for having the flu and having to call out sick for a few days because you don't want to infect people at the hospital.

You will have to work in blizzards, snow storms, rain, hail, even when there is a state of emergency.
    And you will get the flu and you will be fired because of it.

If you apply for a valet position make sure they are clear with you about the hourly wage. Each area has a different pay rate. It's very easy to work harder and make the same amount that you would otherwise. They lower the hourly wage when it is an area known to pay out more in tips.

Some do well at this company, most do not. For the most part it doesn't matter how hard you try. It really depends if you can befriend the right people.

Also, if you are a woman and applying for a valet position proceed with caution and that's all I'm going to say about that.

As I said, Do not force valet attendants to work with a contagious illness at any location but definitely not at the hospitals. Make sure that all managers are made aware that they need to send those employees home and they will not face consequences.

Have a better system for collecting and redistributing tips instead of just writing on a tiny piece of paper and throwing them in a box all rolled up together. They get lost or stolen constantly!

If you have an employee that is injured you need to follow the law and respect doctors orders. Give them a desk job until they heal.

Adjust payment of employees to cost of living in MA and don't mislead people who apply that they will be making more than they actually will.

If you treat your employees with respect you will have respectable employees and the company as a whole will thrive.

Apr 10, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. I'd like to address each issue one at a time.

"Management can be very cliquey and don't follow appropriate procedures dealing with at work harassment and abuse." - I
    ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent Management, Below Average Pay, Hard Hours

Current Employee - Valet  in  Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Valet in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Valet Park of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible Schedule, When to Work online community, fun employees

Cons

Terrible hours, bad management, hard to advance. On call system is awful

Focus on rewarding hard work.

Aug 1, 2013Director of HR

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding the hours - I think this comes with the service industry in general - sometimes our clients need us at all hours of the day & night. I know it can be tough and we ... More

Good for extra cash, but not interested in making it a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Valet Park of America

Pros

Extra cash, and you get to drive nice cars occasionally.

Cons

Management, terrible communication, no morale, lacking technology.

Team, lead by example, work on morale, and indulge in new technologies to make things more efficient.

Decent temp job, poor management

I have been working at Valet Park of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training takes less than 2 weeks, always opportunity for more hours, decent pay.

Cons

Poor management, you'll feel like its run by frat boys and if you can't get into the 'in' crowd then you can expect to get a terrible schedule and be walked all over. Expect to dislike it after a month. No room to be promoted.

Upper management needs to have the employees anonymous review of the management to find out what is wrong with it. Upper management takes the word of the lower management as gospel and doesn't look at why they may have a high turnover rate may be because their management team is pushing people out who are good workers.

Aug 1, 2013Director of HR

I'm surprised you feel this way. I would appreciate it if you could email me with more specific examples so I can look into this. I do feel there is room to be promoted, as we always promote from ... More

Good gig and company, but not a career job

Current Employee - Valet Attendant
    Current Employee - Valet Attendant

I have been working at Valet Park of America

Pros

Good tips (commensurate to how busy event is and how hard you work), relaxing work atmosphere, get to run a lot, drive nice cars, work with a young group of people, negligible micromanagement, flexible schedule. Work various accounts including hospitals, casinos, mountains, private parties, etc. Company is growing fast.

Cons

Drive bad cars. Although you can request certain days and times of the week off, the weekly schedule fluctuates with employees' time-offs and event changes. Limited opportunities for growth - learn what you need to know in less than 2 weeks. Employees consist of a lot of college students and young adults, meaning high turnover rates.

Aug 1, 2013Director of HR

Thanks for your review. Unfortunately to offer flexible scheduling, it also means that we have to change our schedule on a weekly basis, but we always try to accommodate as many requests as possible ... More

good job, shady management

I worked at Valet Park of America

Pros

fun people to work with. All the people that i worked with on the job were great and fun loving. we made the job fun

Cons

the management team often times will not listen to the employees even when presented with seemingly innovative solutions to problems.

pay more attention to your workers and care more about them. don't just use them as pawns to do your dirty work

flexible hours-good pay

Former Employee - Valet Attendant
    Former Employee - Valet Attendant

I worked at Valet Park of America

Pros

Great tips and flexible hours. It was a very relaxed work environment. Got to drive a lot of really nice cars.

Cons

The people that work at this company are not interesting to spend time with and the days go by slowly. A lot of the cars stink.

They should get people who are willing to work with employees on scheduling and not overworking their employees. Need to be better listeners

Valet Park of America Photos

Team photo

+ Add Photo

Worked for Valet Park of America? Contribute to the Community!