Valet Waste

Updated July 29, 2014

2.6

Shawn Handrahan

Love my new job!

Pros

I've been working for Valet Waste for a little over 3 months now and I couldn't be happier! My fellow employees welcomed me with open arms, and have been very helpful and supportive while I learn the system. It has been great to wake up and feel good about going to work.

Cons

My only con is that i'm from a small town and I'm getting use to Tampa. I'm not use to this much traffic.

Thank you for the opportunity.

Work

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - District Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great local group of guys. There is no micro management. Product and service is positive. All expenses are paid by company.

Cons

Not very many. Very little advancement is available as they have done away with the regional manager position. Those who were RM's kept the pay but were demoted. In this area they still do the same job as before.

Terribly run company.

Current Employee - I Pick Up Trash
    Current Employee - I Pick Up Trash

Pros

Work alone at your pace.

Cons

This company will promise you one pay and extra incentives and then take your pay away and pay you squat for busting your hump from 8-11.
    All expenses NOT COVERED as stated before me. No Mileage.
    Took several tries to get direct deposit working, nobody knows what they are doing.
    You think you are picking up a bag in a waste basket a night, but several bags are allowed at the front door, usually not tied.
    Your own truck gets disgusting.
    Lied big time about my pay, with a story that absolutely made no sense, it was laughable as I was being told on the phone.

Pay a better wage, I was humping it and ensuring that the property was clean to make a great pay and then you just took it away.
    I am hardly making enough to be worth it and have no incentive to do a good job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst place to work

Pros

No pros executives have no clue what they are doing. Corporations do not succeed this way. A turn over is coming and it will not be good at all.

Cons

If you have a family, tell them goodbye! You will not be able to maintain a relationship with them. You will not have any time off. Working 20 hours a day and not able to spend any time with family. Even when you are off.

Get you head together. What you are doing is not working.

A team oriented approach to management with great technological advancements.

Pros

In my region we have a great team approach, and everyone is willing to help each other. Home office makes sure you have the tools and resources to streamline and be successful. They offer a great benefits package, and plenty of perks.

Cons

Some of the challenges working here is the split shift hours. You'll work in the morning, have an extended break then back to work at 8 pm. Initially it's tough to find a good work- life balance.

Keep doing what your doing. The company does go through changes (like any company) and continues to improve processes regularly.

I wrote the first review. Now its Mass Exodus.

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

Pros

Stable job. Somewhat Flexable schedule. Company truck, Gas card, Maint card. Great people to work with.

Cons

Compensation is below jobs with similar title and job functions. They want to take more money from the people that do the job. That is the service valets. The ones whom do the dirty work. Senior management is completely focused on quantity not quality of the service. Would rather save a few pennies than take care of their employees. Company has gone from a family oriented atmosphere to robots on an assembly line.

Most employees are looking to leave the company. Staff HR so everyone isn't being overworked or working at home just to process background checks. Staff IT so it doesnt take 4 days for a SV to show up on the payroll sheets. Pay the Service Valets so we dont have a 60% turnover. Focus on the w2 conversion before trying to push maint plus. If there are no sv's to do the job. Then you have DM's , upset DM's picking up dog poop, blowing out breezeways Etc. One step at a time gentlemen, One step at a time. If you dont do something now. Your quality for service will suffer greatly. By the time you react, it will be too late. You will have successfully ruined a great company started by 3 great guys. To senior management, go out and pickup trash for a week. In every area. Not just your backyard.

It wasn't broke but lets fix it anyway

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

No boss right on your shoulder checking on you. You make your schedule to take care of your area.

Cons

The old business model was working fine. The issues in some areas could have been addressed locally, but upper management decided to completely change the model to a new one that has increased the work loads of DMs tremendously. It has also increased field turn over rates from 2% a year to 62% a year in some areas.

Stick with what made this company great. Focus on the core business and stop adding all the extra things that are gumming up the works.

Great PT Job.. Not for the lazy or someone who is unreliable.

Current Employee - Valet Waste Vendor  in  Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Valet Waste Vendor in Fayetteville, NC

Pros

get paid to work out, work alone, real stable job

Cons

Pay will always be the same, no bonuses.

Independent contractor? borderline immoral and more?

Former Employee - Valet Waste Trash Collector  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Valet Waste Trash Collector in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Monthly pay deposited by paycard/visa, just go to an ATM and get your pay. minus charges.

Cons

You pick up trash from apartment complexes in the back of your own truck, with equipment you MUST you that you buy [$$$ about 300 from your first check]. They call you an independent contractor, but YOU ARE NOT. You follow their rules exactly, you fall under their management, you must purchase supplies from them, show up on time, call in, check out. YOU work for them without any single benefit. extremely low pay per month basis, and they find ways to fine you for ''missing trash'' that the apt complex puts out way late at night. Your vehicle is used up, beat up and will be sloppy with trash. You must carry insurance that covers your truck...and if anything happens to you [an injury persay] you will be terminated. Start early or late, your fired. The person doing all the work gets very little of the fee the apts charge the residence!! more like less than 10% of the $30+ per month they charge...the actual trash guy gets about $2.00 per month per door. Should be illegal to be an independent contractor under such rules. They do the Independent contractor thing so you pay your own taxes at the end of the year, and they don't have any medical liability on you, or any other unemployment/health care issues. The end of the year taxes + work time+ truck fees= you don't make squat!

Pay the trash guy more, supply the equipment that has to be used free with the route.

Great exercise, great pay, low stress, lost 60 pounds, nuff said.

Former Employee - Courier  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Courier in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Get paid to exercise, whether you feel like it or not :)

Cons

The occasional open face diaper or torn bag of beer/bong water saturated trash. Ew.

I did feel a little disconnected from the company. I never felt like a part of a team. Maybe some community activities or events (e.g. Cystic Fibrosis Tower Climb & Run) would be nice.

Worked for Valet Waste? Contribute to the Community!