Valley Medical Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great place to work

I have been working at Valley Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOverall people at Valley are great; great co-workers, flexible schedule, benefits, gym on campus, and management team are working on making it an even better place to work.

ConsNot knowing how healthcare reform will impact the org; no upward mobility

Exit interview

Health Service Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Valley Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat People to work with, hard working, dedicated to populations served

ConsNo notice when laid off due to reduction in force

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible, and transparent

Great People, Limited Career Development, Management Political Not Strategic

I have been working at Valley Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Majority of staff members are caring and supportive, making VMC a great work environment
- Decent benefits
- Work schedule flexibility a plus
- Community focus to help keep people healthy = rewarding
- Alliance with UW Medicine is strengthening service offerings, management oversight

Cons- Limited opportunity for education/training to aid in career development
- Top management very hierarchichal
- Goals & objectives not clearly articulated
- Healthcare Reform negatively impacting business
- New focus on cutting benefits, pay for front line and middle management; Upper management largely excluded from cuts, still awarded bonuses
- Newly elected Commissioners are sabotaging VMC's reputation and inappopriately allocating resources for litigation rather than focussing on improving public health

Advice to Senior ManagementIf pay and benefit cuts are necessary to remain competitive, then apply them equitably to upper management as well or risk losing credibility with employees at large.

Supportive management; skilled and caring staff

I have been working at Valley Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou will hear over and over again from the staff that they love working at Valley Medical Center because the management is supportive, the benefits are great and particularly because colleagues feel like family. If you layer on a highly skilled clinical staff, beautiful facility and administrators who truly care about their staff and the patients, and an affiliation with UW Medicine, a world-class teaching and research hospital - it's hard to find a job in a healthcare facility that's much better.

ConsWe have myriad problems with our five member Board of Commissioners; the majority are more focused on politics than ensuring quality patient care. Thankfully the Administration have their priorities straight.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to utilize the benefits of the UW Medicine alliance; stay focused on improving the health of the public; and continue to trust your Managers to run their departments with autonomy.

Generally good place to work, good pay/benefits

SPD Tech (Former Employee)

I worked at Valley Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay/benefits were very good for only requiring HS diploma. Work keeps you busy so your days go by pretty quickly. Management was very fair.

ConsColleagues can be lazy and drag their feet with getting work done. Can be hard to find other employees with high levels of drive. Job can get monotonous if you don't like doing essentially the same thing everyday with some items/quantities changing

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Good strong company, a bit hard to get ahead

Service Desk Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Valley Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Prosfriendly team
some offers for repayment for certification exams
rotating shifts
decent cafeteria
Dept as a whole is an awesome group of people

ConsA tendency to "pass the buck" from team to team

rarely get credit when credit is due (to any team member)

compensation is sub par considering the amount of work that goes into the day to day operations

Ideas from one group about possible issue resolutions are quickly dismissed by another group with no reply or reason.

new software training seemed to be an afterthought

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to consider what kinds of work your teams do. spend some time each month on the phones (during a rush) so you can see the stresses that are put on your teams when the calls are flying in from frustrated (or angry) callers.

Often deployments happen and the service desk is either notified as an afterthought or not properly trained. Since they are the ones on the phone, it makes everyone look bad when they were not trained for the possible issues.

Ok place if you need a paycheck

Technical Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Valley Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsGood peer workers. Cafeteria makes descent food if you know what to get.

ConsNobody seems to know what is actually going on. You go from one mismanaged project to the other and only accomplish wasting money.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage before you hire a "manager".

Interesting Management Program

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Valley Medical Center full-time for less than a year

ProsBeautiful facility, nice benefits for healthcare insurance, handy to have the gym with the hospital for workout.

ConsThis is a union environment. Medical directors have a political force in the facility (a plus and minus) the staff can seem nice on the outside but do covert snipes. I believe the culture has hidden agendas that are not easy to read,

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe upper management needs to ask why there are short stays for the position I had. The previous manager left after a short stay to a facility that was a longer distance away. Listen to your manager more.

VMC - The Velvet Handcuff

Patient Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Valley Medical Center

ProsBenefits are excellent. Fully vested after 7 years, 403(b), generous opportunity to accrue vacation, catastrophic sick in addition to regular sick. Full medical/dental with only .6 FTE (24 hrs/wk). Full-time FTEs are allowed one dependent with full benefits also.

Parking is free. Beats working at a big hospital in downtown Seattle and paying a ridiculous amount for parking.

VMC employees generally stay for great lengths of time. It's not unusual to see employees stay for 5,10,25 years.

If you don't like one department, or grow tired of it, there's opportunity to transfer into the same position somewhere else within the hospital.

ConsJob satisfaction obviously varies between departments and positions. PSR positions are not difficult responsibilities, yet there is a vast learning and capability curve since PSR age demographics range from early 20s to mid 50s. Almost always female. So if your technical and multi-tasking abilities are on point, you'll excel at PSR work, and possibly become frustrated with your peers who aren't quite up-to-date with their computer skills or who have difficulty prioritizing. Yet they will make more than you because they've been there for over a decade.

Management is not transparent. Employees are treated on a need-to-know basis. Productivity and budget are priorities, as they should be, but performing well and generating revenue is driven more out of fear of being reprimanded or laid-off rather than pride in work.

The hospital is struggling financially, yet constantly mails out announcements and promotions about how great the hospital is, using expensive glossy colored paper. Employees don't care about that, they'd rather that administration utilizes more eco-friendly and cost-effective way to deliver relevant communications.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the good ones and do not compartmentalize roles. Cut loose the ones that drag the department down. Foster meaningful working relationships and encourage each employee individually.

VMC

Pharmacist Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Valley Medical Center

ProsThey let interns do a lot of different things at Valley. First 2 years you generally do tech functions such as: refilling pyxis machines, triaging information from phone calls, preparing medications for patients, compounding, compounding intravenous drugs, compounding chemotherapy drugs.

Your 3rd and 4th year you get to learn how to do order entry and follow patients on antibiotic therapy, pain management, TPN, and anticoagulation.

ConsYou are an intern, anything goes wrong, the blame is put onto you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to work as our team leader an advocating for our department.

Worked for Valley Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Valley Medical Center reviews and ratings. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Valley Medical Center employees.