Valley National Bancorp

Valley National Bancorp Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Valley National Bancorp Chairman, President, and CEO, Valley National Bancorp and Valley National Bank Gerald H. Lipkin

Gerald H. Lipkin

A Mixed Bag

Bank Teller (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsThey offer good starting pay, especially for either a current college student or a fresh out of college grad. The working environment is generally friendly and the higher ups provide nice encouragement. There is room for advancement but one must seek it out.

ConsNot very flexible when it comes to hours, rather rigid. Because it is a bank they keep track of literally everything you do, even minor differences like a quarter over or under. Because it is a smaller bank compared to others, they heavily try to get staff to push bank products, despite most customers already having accounts, they tell you to continually ask if they want more accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind other ways to suplement income lost to other banks and grow elsewhere. By asking employess to continually pitch products it turns customers away. Other banks generally don't ask often, and people get to go about their business without having to say no to the teller multiple times.

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe hours were nice, no weekends, no late nights. I learned alot more about loan processing. Early dismissal on days before most holidays. The work wasn't that hard. I got along well with my department and direct management.

ConsJob security, my entire department was let go all at the same time. Trying to schedule time off was a big project. Alot of the jobs seem to be in New Jersey.

sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosgreat customers, friendly environment.

Consold technology, not enough marketing, old school.

Advice to Senior Managementupdate marketing plan to interest new customers!!! in order to grow you gotta invest in the business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to work when starting out of high school, but not as a career choice!

Head Teller (Former Employee) Passaic, NJ

ProsYou meet different people and they become family.

ConsYou only get recognized for things that are bad, they never recognize anything good. They never ask questions, they just assume you are wrong and you made the mistake. They never give you the benefit of the doubt.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to stop putting all the blame on everyone else and start to give the employees recognition for doing good things. This will increase performance and not make employees feel like they are not respected or important.

Bank Teller

Bank Teller (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsVery flexible. Good for seniors, or house-wives.

ConsMicromanagement. No commissions and credits for referrals. Very lazy environment.

positive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosemployer friendly and HR staff in NY was very helpful.

ConsNew Jersey Branches were hostile to New York Branches

Terrible place to work

Prosnone to speak of at all

ConsNo structure lw pay no incentives bank has no focus . Senior management is terrible. Have no idea what they are doing. Most of them just waiting t retire.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully the bank willl be bought soon.

Customer Service Rep in-Branch

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Hoboken, NJ

ProsStability, time-off policies, company values, potential career advancements

Conslow end compensation, beaurcracy, lack of technology

Advice to Senior ManagementMore competitive products that are in line with targeted markets and

Experienced

Head Teller (Current Employee) Freehold, NJ

Prosold fashion bank very good for consumers. People are wonderful.

ConsSome of the rules are hard to follow.

Sales Associate

Prosteam is ok to work with

Consvery little pay for amount of work. very ancient system

Worked for Valley National Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!