Valley Protective Services

Terry Teets

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Security Guard in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Valley Protective Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the higher up officers are really knowledgeable.

Cons

uniform pants are pretty wore out

Advice to Management

none at this time

2. Read!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Valley Protective Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good about the company.

Cons

If you're willing to drive to 4 different sites a night, then this job is perfect for you. I got sent to a site only to find out that a guard was already there, which was a waste of my gas that I didn't get paid for. If anything happens to you, don't expect to get an answer from a supervisor or the office. This job will also be perfect for someone who loves being in danger. It's all level one positions but at awful locations. Oh and before I forget to mention, make sure you check your pay check for your hours and also for your rate of pay. They like to mess with that.

Advice to Management

Get a real management.

Never heard a good thing from an employee

Current Employee - Unarmed Security Guard
    Current Employee - Unarmed Security Guard

I have been working at Valley Protective Services

Pros

12 an hour. Thats it.

Cons

terrible hours and chaotic schedule, multiple different properties(usually 3-4) a night. Properties each 5-25 minutes apart. Getting time off is like pulling teeth. Terrible benefits.

Advice to Management

treat employees better

Beware of any security company that changes their name because of bad media

Current Employee - Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Valley Protective Services

Pros

Valley Protective Services ( Valley-wide Security) has no redeeming pros....they should be out of the industry much like their old name.....New name same crap

Cons

You name it...crappy administration...undesirable employees....lack of a good conscience....

Advice to Management

Sell it while you still have something to sell

6. Valley Protective Services was the perfect stepping stone for my current job as a sworn police officer in the Phoenix a

Former Employee - Security Guard in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Valley Protective Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I noticed the derogatory statements from ex employees and realized they were crying over sour grapes. Obviously they took the job but didn't like the expectations. My experience at VPS was great. We all know life is what you make it. I knew what I was signing on for and made the best of it. During the hiring process VPS was honest and upfront about everything. In a nutshell they told me I needed an Arizona guard license, pass a drug test, would mostly work weekends, nights, and holidays conducting bicycle patrol, and often I would have more than one post during my shift. Conditions of Employment: I needed reliable transportation to carry my company issued bike and I was financially responsible for it. I needed to have a complete duty belt. I was provided a list of required equipment and told I could purchase the equipment anywhere, or I could purchase it through the company and do payroll deductions over my first 3 paychecks to cover it. Since I was short on cash I decided to buy it through the company. I would be issued a 2 way radio and mobile unit for GPS reporting that I would be financially responsible for. Uniforms were issued at no charge. I would have to pay a drug test, but if it came back negative I would be reimbursed, and I was. ***Just like every other applicant I understood all this prior to accepting my position with VPS.*** The 8 hr class to get licensed I would not be paid for. VPS offers the training, or I could go elsewhere. I called around and found everyone charged about the same for the training and no one else paid for attending, so I decided to get mine from VPS. I wen to the office and was uniformed and scheduled for field training. I left the office with my bike, uniforms, communications radio and GPS radio, duty belt, and proper paperwork. While loading it in my car I realized, "This company just issued me close to $2000 worth of equipment and I haven't even worked a single shift". I'm not sure how many other companies would do that. I spent my first three shifts, 24 hours, with a field training officer. VPS wants to make sure before a guard is on his own he knows his job. While working, Supervisors randomly stopped to check on me and conducted further training. VPS also offers advanced training for employees. My training and experience at Valley Protective Services helped me during the hiring process for the police department I now work for. Interacting with police, fire, and EMS gave me perspective about their job, and how to communicate with them confidently. This was especially helpful during the interview process. I have many more positive experiences I could share, but you get the idea.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say. They clearly explained the job and I agreed to meet the duty requirements.

Advice to Management

*Make someone from HR and benefit administration available during evening hours for employees who sleep during the day. *Consider allowing overtime to be used as compensation time instead of taking it as pay. *issue spare inner tubes so employees can repair their own flat tires.

Worst job I've ever had.

I worked at Valley Protective Services

Pros

Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing 20 word minimum.

Cons

Poor training. They expect you to search and arrest people. Bad pay. Bad benefits. You have to drive to chandler to get paid. Soooo many cons.

Advice to Management

Have reasonable expectations in your employees. Follow best practices for the industry.

8. get what you give.

Current Employee - Security Guard in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Valley Protective Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

you can make positive or negative impac on contacts. and the community you patrol. its all about respect. and taking the time to talk to residents how important your job is.. and the safety on the community it takes people who care were they live and work together with security to keep the issues out of the community. close pool gates and protect the little ones from drowning. time off is given you must give 2 weeks notice.. training is given .if you fail to pay attention n class then youll fail the field. its that simple..dont call dispatch every time cops are on property. learn tobe observing more . make contacts more in the pool till you get toknow who lives on property. focus on doing a random breezewaycheck for marijuana issues and alcohol issue,s . and vacant unit checks to make sure door is secured. and most of all enforce community policy rules. in a respectful way at all times. you can make your post patrols see fit. if you pay attention. its not easy at first. tillyou have learned to master the art of contacts. and most of all communication with management must be a everyday thing. stay focus.

Cons

delivering notices too all units 2 days straight. but a great work out.

Advice to Management

give more raises to the officers who go above and beyond for the company.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Former Employee - Security Officer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Valley Protective Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pro is that they pay minimum wage, so you can find another job else where if you are not satisfied.

Cons

Poor equipment, promised wages are never followed through with, they rip you off, lie to your face, and communication between guards and supervisor's is terrible. When I quit, I had multiple supervisor's trying to call me to work. I told them I quit they didn't believe me. IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO LAW ENFORCEMENT DO NOT WORK HERE. I will give anyone I can advise. When I was going through my background investigation for LE (been in for over 3 years now) the investigator questioned me on being an investigative lead (Witness) in a crime outside my home. If you pull some crazy rent a cop gimmicks with these guys and the police are involved your chances of getting into LE are pretty much done, trust me. If you want a solid stepping stone work as a TPD or PCSO dispatcher, court clerk, prison system, or any other entry level jobs out there. They pay more, provide excellent benefits, and make a real difference in the community. Look at them on Youtube, two negligent shootings in the past 5 years. Look at their hiring statement for security guards in Tucson. "Let us start our adventure together". Really? This a security company who observes and reports, not a Lethal Weapon sequel. STAY AWAY FROM VPS!!!!!

Advice to Management

Treat these men and women with some respect and dignity.

Overall good but the areas that need improvement are obvious.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Valley Protective Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In house training throughout you career, independence, advancement potential, proactive mentality encouraged.

Cons

Logistics is poor and the little guy suffers. Poor radios, job location can be far, short notice schedule change, inconsistent policies, no supervisor feadback.

Advice to Management

Use email more and radios less (lock up times), pay attention to the moral of your officers and the bottom line less, turn over cost money even if you charge for initial training.

Chaotic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Valley Protective Services full-time

Pros

The people you work with directly are great

Cons

Too much interference from corporate and they are so cheap. Chaotic, Constantly changing rules and crap equipment. There need to be a shake up there. Recently three supervisors all left at once what does that say?

Advice to Management

Don't screw your employees and make sure you follow the correct rules. New Mexico laws are different than AZ

RSS Feed </> Embed