Valley Protective Services

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
2.0

Terry Teets

Valley Protective Services was the perfect stepping stone for my current job as a sworn police officer in the Phoenix a

Former Employee - Security Guard in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Valley Protective Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I noticed the derogatory statements from ex employees and realized they were crying over sour grapes. Obviously they took the job but didn't like the expectations. My experience at VPS was great. We all know life is what you make it. I knew what I was signing on for and made the best of it.

During the hiring process VPS was honest and upfront about everything. In a nutshell they told me I needed an Arizona guard license, pass a drug test, would mostly work weekends, nights, and holidays conducting bicycle patrol, and often I would have more than one post during my shift. Conditions of Employment: I needed reliable transportation to carry my company issued bike and I was financially responsible for it. I needed to have a complete duty belt. I was provided a list of required equipment and told I could purchase the equipment anywhere, or I could purchase it through the company and do payroll deductions over my first 3 paychecks to cover it. Since I was short on cash I decided to buy it through the company. I would be issued a 2 way radio and mobile unit for GPS reporting that I would be financially responsible for. Uniforms were issued at no charge. I would have to pay a drug test, but if it came back negative I would be reimbursed, and I was.
      ***Just like every other applicant I understood all this prior to accepting my position with VPS.***

The 8 hr class to get licensed I would not be paid for. VPS offers the training, or I could go elsewhere. I called around and found everyone charged about the same for the training and no one else paid for attending, so I decided to get mine from VPS. I wen to the office and was uniformed and scheduled for field training. I left the office with my bike, uniforms, communications radio and GPS radio, duty belt, and proper paperwork. While loading it in my car I realized, "This company just issued me close to $2000 worth of equipment and I haven't even worked a single shift". I'm not sure how many other companies would do that.

I spent my first three shifts, 24 hours, with a field training officer. VPS wants to make sure before a guard is on his own he knows his job. While working, Supervisors randomly stopped to check on me and conducted further training. VPS also offers advanced training for employees. My training and experience at Valley Protective Services helped me during the hiring process for the police department I now work for. Interacting with police, fire, and EMS gave me perspective about their job, and how to communicate with them confidently. This was especially helpful during the interview process.
                  I have many more positive experiences I could share, but you get the idea.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say. They clearly explained the job and I agreed to meet the duty requirements.

*Make someone from HR and benefit administration available during evening hours for employees who sleep during the day.
    *Consider allowing overtime to be used as compensation time instead of taking it as pay.
    *issue spare inner tubes so employees can repair their own flat tires.

Worst Security Company in the Industry

Former Employee - Supervisor in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Valley Protective Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no company values...Going there is like buying a new car. They will smooth talk you into working for them, but they will take your money even before you get your first schedule. This is no better than being scammed by a used car salesman.

Cons

You name it. You will under trained, overworked, poorly paid if you look at the numbers. You paying for training, equipment, gas(don't reimburse), and most of all your valuable time. You will work more than 8 hours a night by traveling from property to property and nothing to show for it. Before you even work there, crunch the numbers. They never lie. They make over 40 percent on your sweat. They have been at $10.00/hr for years no matter what they bill the clients.

Get out of the business. The owners in Phoenix are out of touch with reality. They don't care about the guards that try to work hard for a pay check and they fined for every mistake. They talk about a bonus program, but their mission is to make sure you never get it. Run away from them as fast and as far as you can.

Worst job I've ever had.

I worked at Valley Protective Services

Pros

Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing. Nothing Nothing Nothing 20 word minimum.

Cons

Poor training. They expect you to search and arrest people. Bad pay. Bad benefits. You have to drive to chandler to get paid. Soooo many cons.

Have reasonable expectations in your employees. Follow best practices for the industry.

get what you give.

Current Employee - Security Guard in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Valley Protective Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

you can make positive or negative impac on contacts. and the community you patrol. its all about respect. and taking the time to talk to residents how important your job is.. and the safety on the community it takes people who care were they live and work together with security to keep the issues out of the community. close pool gates and protect the little ones from drowning. time off is given you must give 2 weeks notice.. training is given .if you fail to pay attention n class then youll fail the field. its that simple..dont call dispatch every time cops are on property. learn tobe observing more . make contacts more in the pool till you get toknow who lives on property. focus on doing a random breezewaycheck for marijuana issues and alcohol issue,s . and vacant unit checks to make sure door is secured. and most of all enforce community policy rules. in a respectful way at all times. you can make your post patrols see fit. if you pay attention. its not easy at first. tillyou have learned to master the art of contacts. and most of all communication with management must be a everyday thing. stay focus.

Cons

delivering notices too all units 2 days straight. but a great work out.

give more raises to the officers who go above and beyond for the company.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

I worked at Valley Protective Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pro is that they pay minimum wage, so you can find another job else where if you are not satisfied.

Cons

Poor equipment, promised wages are never followed through with, they rip you off, lie to your face, and communication between guards and supervisor's is terrible. When I quit, I had multiple supervisor's trying to call me to work. I told them I quit they didn't believe me. IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO LAW ENFORCEMENT DO NOT WORK HERE. I will give anyone I can advise. When I was going through my background investigation for LE (been in for over 3 years now) the investigator questioned me on being an investigative lead (Witness) in a crime outside my home. If you pull some crazy rent a cop gimmicks with these guys and the police are involved your chances of getting into LE are pretty much done, trust me. If you want a solid stepping stone work as a TPD or PCSO dispatcher, court clerk, prison system, or any other entry level jobs out there. They pay more, provide excellent benefits, and make a real difference in the community. Look at them on Youtube, two negligent shootings in the past 5 years. Look at their hiring statement for security guards in Tucson. "Let us start our adventure together". Really? This a security company who observes and reports, not a Lethal Weapon sequel. STAY AWAY FROM VPS!!!!!

Treat these men and women with some respect and dignity.

Overall good but the areas that need improvement are obvious.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Valley Protective Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

In house training throughout you career, independence, advancement potential, proactive mentality encouraged.

Cons

Logistics is poor and the little guy suffers. Poor radios, job location can be far, short notice schedule change, inconsistent policies, no supervisor feadback.

Use email more and radios less (lock up times), pay attention to the moral of your officers and the bottom line less, turn over cost money even if you charge for initial training.

Chaotic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Valley Protective Services full-time

Pros

The people you work with directly are great

Cons

Too much interference from corporate and they are so cheap. Chaotic, Constantly changing rules and crap equipment. There need to be a shake up there. Recently three supervisors all left at once what does that say?

Don't screw your employees and make sure you follow the correct rules. New Mexico laws are different than AZ

Security Guards are not Law Enforcement

I worked at Valley Protective Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There was nothing great about this company

Cons

VPS makes you pay for the drug test they put you at various post that lack restroom facilities and to lie about actual hours worked at each post even when it takes time to drive to the next job assignment.

Stop being a bunch of scammers It's not right to charge a rent fee to wear your lousy uniform that's in bad shape stop the phony law enforcement gig security officers are not police officers

The worst of the worst security company to work for

Current Employee - Slave in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Slave in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Valley Protective Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing worth mentioing that is positive about Valley Protective Services

Cons

The egos of management, the incompetency of supervision, the lies that are told to the guards

Stop thinking you are a real security company and sell the business for the sake of the guards and the clients. You are obligaing the guards to pay for their training and over priced equipment. If they damage anything, you make them pay full cost when it really costs you a fraction of the price. Your philosophy is to make money off their hard work at every corner. You make over 50% profit on every hour they work. You charge over 20.00/hr and they barely get paid ten. Your equipment is held together by duct tape. Whats wrong with that picture? Your managment style is oppressive, incompetent, and untruthful.
    Do yourself a favor and avoid this company like the plague. Don't let me tell you i told you so.

Almost Criminal!!!

Former Employee - Security Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Valley Protective Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seriously? There are zero Pros with this company. Wait there is one pro, you don't have to work for them unless your are a complete retard and want constant abuse!

Cons

I was threatened with arrest if I did not return my bicycle within 24 hours of termination. Also the cost if I did not return the bicycle was more than 4 times the value of the pos.
    There attitude is fight/shoot first, be very careful about the civil rights of those you are allegedly protecting.
    The driving / shifts / cost of equipment / lack of benefits are well documented in other reviews.
    Be prepared to be verbally assaulted by the supervisors and management.

Close your business!!!! Open an S&M club if you want to treat people like you do!!!