Valley View Community Unit School District 365U

2.8
Dr. James Mitchem
1 Rating

1. I worked at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U

Pros

Professional learning community, the people, the "family-like" atmosphere, pay and benefits

Cons

Commute from the city was hard.

2. Has potential but be careful

Former Employee - Guest Teacher in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Guest Teacher in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great facilities, some great kids (but some real problem kids).

Cons

They will interview you for consecutive long-term sub positions, then hire you only for the first one -- with the condition that they will hire you for the second if you do well. The arrangement is that after 10 consecutive days subbing you will be bumped from the $105 normal subbing rate up to $200. After they retain you for the second term, they will bounce you back down to the $105 rate again -- saying it is a different assignment. Essentially, the conditional second term is a ruse so that they can get out of paying you $1000. Ask the permanent employees and they are not surprised. I have been told that if you need to leave a half hour early for a doctor's appointment, they will dock you for a half day's pay. ADDITION: After much haggling and yelling at HR, they finally paid me my money -- probably because I said I would take this to whatever level I could to get what I earned. Finally, some awesome kids, but some that don't care. If you flunk a child, you have to endlessly document or you get blamed by parents (and administrators). It didn't happen to me, but I heard stories. Some parents of troubled students never return calls or emails, and kids keep screwing around. I am a nationally board certified teacher and this was my most challenging assignment.

Advice to Management

While my situation was finally resolved ... Be honest and up front. Don't try to take advantage of people. The people in the personnel office seem to be quite adept at this. Potential employees should get everything in writing. You can't trust this district.

3. An organization in flux.

Current Employee - Non-Management in Romeoville, IL
    Current Employee - Non-Management in Romeoville, IL

I have been working at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U

Pros

This organization is very forward thinking and data driven regarding their mission. The organization's mission and vision are clearly defined in its "Design for Change" theme. The mission and vision of the organization has been a central component of its change initiative, which has saturated the entire organization. The organization believes in the value of training its employees, providing a wide and constant offering of classes, training sessions, and professional development opportunities.

Cons

The organization struggles to make coordinated decisions, often resulting in a large amount of confusion. The company's processes often fail to connect its efforts with it proposed strategies, resulting in noticeable employee bewilderment below the management ranks. The atmosphere within the organization is very top-down, something that has a large section of non-management employees voicing discontent and feelings of not being valued. There is also a noticeable viewpoint from non-management employees of distrust with upper management regarding its use of "data" to make decisions. On a number of occasions the "data" that has been utilized by senior management has been found to be either incomplete, flawed, or inaccurate in its portrayal upon further independent inquiry. There has been an inordinate amount of brain drain from this organization within the last 4-5 years.

Advice to Management

Regain the trust and belief in your abilities throughout your company. Apply your motto of "First the heart and then the head" to everyone in the organization.

5. Think twice before applying for this district

I have been working at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U

Pros

Great group of teachers. Well paying district, there's a reason why they are well paying.

Cons

Administration, Administration, Administration and the Administration.

6. Okay place but could be better

Current Employee - Administrator in Romeoville, IL
    Current Employee - Administrator in Romeoville, IL

I have been working at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place for entry level experience

Cons

No room for professional growth. Too much politics

Advice to Management

Listen to staff opinions

7. It is okay

Current Employee - Paraeducator in Romeoville, IL
    Current Employee - Paraeducator in Romeoville, IL

I have been working at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The People within the workplace are decent & do seem to care.

Cons

The Higherupps can be difficult, not all but some

8. A new experience

Current Employee - Bus Driver in Romeoville, IL
    Current Employee - Bus Driver in Romeoville, IL

I have been working at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U

Pros

Good pay that's better than any other company

Cons

The routes left to pick when higher seniority gets theirs 1st

Advice to Management

Great leadership

9. Review

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Romeoville, IL
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Romeoville, IL

I worked at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U

Pros

Good pay, and overall a friendly environment. I have worked at other districts and this one is by far the best. Btw I worked at the preschool.

Cons

Sometimes disorganized, and it is hard to avoid the gossip.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but make more time for training.

10. Ok

I worked at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U

Pros

Very family oriented and likes sports

Cons

To many chiefs and back stabbing

Advice to Management

None

11. Great place to grow

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U

Pros

Very diverse learning and teaching community regarding gender, ethnicity, culture, age, ability, economic or class status and race; microcosm of the "real world" with the experiences that broaden the awareness of the entire community. Continuously striving to improve educational delivery and accountability through research and professional development opportunities.

Cons

Some leadership and growth opportunities are not valued in monetary terms, but increase the workload of some individuals more than others. This causes some talented people to not attempt the additional responsibilities because the stipend is too low or nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Offer more lucrative perquisites to those who go above and beyond the call of duty--not just a $5 Dunkin Donut gift certificate or a $25 mall shopping card. These are gifts that should be reserved for the kids we serve. Have a way for parents to nominate teachers that they feel should be rewarded for going above and beyond the call of duty, and demonstrate appreciation to those teachers rather than depending on nominations from inside where politics and favoritism can be played.

RSS Feed </> Embed