ValleyCrest Companies

ValleyCrest Companies CEO Roger Zino

Roger Zino

Account Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAccount managers have a lot of responsibility and as a result can receive great pride and ownership of the accounts they take care of.

ConsDepends on branch, but there is definitely a huge amount of favoritism among properties, with big name sites receiving much more attention than commercial office spaces and small HOAs.

ValleyCrest good company, but lost Burt's vision at the branch managers level.

Fredericksburg, VA

ProsSafety driven,promotes team work at the corp level.

ConsGross margins are too slim. Drives Account Mangers to sell extras/enhancements and not focus on field operations to make the customers happy with the service.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook who you put in the helm of a branch. do they share the same traits that Burt would want in a Branch Manager?

Not bad

ProsSafety training provided and management takes employee safety very seriously

ConsLong hours during the summer months, much less during the winter

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough Job, but great business experience

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsAll the benefits of a big company--stable, employee benefits (401k, vacation, medical, dental)--in a landscape company. Lots of work outside.

ConsWhen times are busy--most of the time--they are really busy. Long hours with lots to juggle. Corporate involvement can be tiresome and add more to the workload. If you aren't driven and don't take control of your own training/advancement, you most likely won't succeed.

Branch Leadership?

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed working with most people at my branch, and the work was fun and interesting. When the workload was balanced, we could do great things.

ConsThe top branch leadership didn't seem interested in the issues on my projects or in my personal workload. The culture seemed to promote managing the perception of corporate bosses rather than getting involved and actually directing the branch.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to corporate management: honestly evaluate the branches with feedback from the employees. Put more emphasis on real leadership and interpersonal effectiveness when filling top branch positions.

Many people there who were unhappy with their pay for the amount of work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company with diverse clients

ConsHigh pressure, long hours, little loyalty

Depends on the branch

Atlanta, GA

ProsLarge company, reputation and visibility result in a steady stream of incoming work. Sr management in California seem to have good intentions.

ConsLet me start by saying that it totally depends on the branch and branch manager how your experience with VC is. I know plenty of people within VC at other branches that have positive things to say. However, at my branch, the branch manager was totally out of touch with how to manage a business. Tried to micromanage and would threaten to fire you to get what he wanted. Would show up late daily but have the Account managers send workers home if they were five minutes late. If it didn't help the bottom line (read: his bonus), you could forget about it. Labor was cut when costs ran too high, resulting in a dwindling quality of work and upset customers. Talented people were hired as "Trainees" and forced to work far below their pay grade with hope of a "promotion" sometime down the line (read: never). Lot of talk about developing people and furthering education but nothing done. The Account managers all were more worried about doing what it took to keep the branch manager happy and not get fired than about keeping the customer happy and furthering the development of the branch's business. Pretty toxic place.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not all about the bottom line. Pay more attention to your branch managers and how they are treating your people.

Account Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsMy peers within the branch worked hard and tried to support each other as a team

ConsBranch management and upper management is a complete joke. They will lie, cheat, and cover up their mistakes by blaming account managers. There is absolutely no support at the AM level.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoes anyone from Corporate even know what is going on?? Stop managing from a spreadsheet and start looking at the reality of what is happening at the branch level. Stop to consider why branches can't keep an account manager for longer than a year.

Field Opperations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work. Coming from property management, I was able to learn an entirely different side of the business from the venders point of view. I was also able to really learn and apply the simple principles of efficiency. This company is large, but keeps it simple and it works.

ConsThe branch in my area is still small and I was unable to grow professionally. I moved to VCLM hoping to really make an impact, but I was constantly reminded that the company moves "like a slow barge with red trucks speeding around it".

Advice to Senior ManagementMore continuing education.

I enjoyed the employer as much as working for them.

Laborer (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsIt's a good company with a lot of experience.

ConsWriting down my time for the day was often delayed when they had no cards available. In turn, I lost two days of work because I had no way of showing them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a better system of labor recording

Worked for ValleyCrest Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ValleyCrest Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ValleyCrest Companies CEO Roger Zino. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by ValleyCrest Companies employees.