Valmont Industries

Be The First To
Add Photos

Valmont Industries Chairman and CEO Mogens C. Bay

Mogens C. Bay

A great company, but not a great employer

Systems (Current Employee) Valley, NE

ProsA solid reputable company. Pay and benefits are very good. Friendly employees.

ConsNeed to reevaluate work-life balance options and flexible and/or telecommute options for administrative employees. Very much focused on this is the way we've always done it, so change happens very slowly, if ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a formal way to develop the leaders and employees. Training should be centralized. Some thought should be given on how to get talented employees on board and retain those that are currently employed.

Walls are crumbling on what was an empire

Administration (Current Employee) Valley, NE

ProsLarge but losing market share and employee/customer confidence in the U.S.

ConsManagement out of touch with market, customers and employees. Total lack of leadership in the management ranks. High rate of micro management from the top. Panic management setting in. Product quality downward trending, massive missed shipments, customer contact employees left hanging with no support. Good employees are severely over worked to meet cost down goals. Internal personnel don't answer e-mails or phone calls. Seems like a company on the verge of an major fall and senior management does not know what to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the core values that made company a success. Trust your employees and value your customers instead of some useless internal metric.

Ok place

ProsShort commute, good benefits, & a busy, but sometimes overwhelming work environment. Pay is competitive for the area. Most of the coworkers are descent.

ConsPoor communication and teamwork between departments and from management. Ineffective leadership. Office politics runs wild. It's all about who you know, not necessarily what your skills & accomplishments are. Micromanaging to the Nth degree. No room for advancement unless willing to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement 101...get to know your employees and what it takes for them to do their jobs, before passing judgement on performance. Evaluate employees for their strengths & put them in positions that will help them succeed. Several good employees are being set up to fail and/or are under utilized. Consider a mentoring program. Management needs to reign in those employees that have 'gotten out of hand' over the years due to weak leadership.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not worth the effort

Senior Drafter (Current Employee) Valley, NE

ProsGood benefits.

ConsPay poor. Stressed, low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sending out memos about the record earnings the company is making without passing any of that off to your employees. Stop demoting people who don't deserve it just because you need to move around resources so your bottom line looks better. Start providing real training to your employees. Make the company what you tell people it is when you hire them... a good place to work, where the management cares.

Great benefits

ProsInternal opportunities, diverse business units

ConsNot always focused on personnel development

Structures Division

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Valley, NE

ProsLarge employer with decent benifits. Not a lot to speak of last 5 years

ConsOld GM syndrome. Poor senior management, does not value employee's or its customers, product quality downward trending, lots of chiefs to few indians, endless meetings and those meetings take priority over customer needs, industry follower not leader in U.S..

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up, your methods are not working. Learn to appreciate experienced employee's and your customers

This is a great company to work for.

ProsThis is a big company that is a leader in most or all of its market segments but still has the feel of a small company.

ConsValmont would be well served to open communication with all employees. Most of the tightly held communication gets around as rumors anyway.

Great company to work for

Production Supervisor (Current Employee) Valley, NE

Proscarrer advancment opurtunities are good

ConsAlot of Overtime is worked almost year round

Advice to Senior ManagementProfit sharingcompany wide rather than by division would be a better paln.

Leaders Of Over Commiting and Under Acheiving...

Miracle Maker (Former Employee) Mansfield, TX

ProsIts a job with benefits for short term until McDonalds calls.... Some of the people have a vast knowledge of the industry and are hard workers. Leaving that place!

ConsEverything is always rushed without planning, Way too many meetings that accomplish absolutely nothing except wasting time. management expects miracles to happen without much guidence. No room for advancement unless you're in a relationship with someone in management. In my time of 9 years I saw at least 5 GM's and when they failed they were moved to a newly created position to justify their salary. I personally had 2 managers to report to that had no clue what I was talking about most of the time. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians. Had several employees with positions that were sensless and didnt have a point except to secure that person a job and waste space. Always iffy on the yearly bonus. Quality expected to be at a high level but bought products from intercompany facilities from Mexico and China that did not have to meet expectations and were passed off for being made in the US to deceive the customer. Monthly negative department status reports were falsely changed by management to hide their incompetancy. Yearly pay increases were never enough to cover the yearly insurance increases so every year I made less and less money than when I started there 9 years prior.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees for are loyal and screaming to be heard! Quit over commiting to reach customer goals to try and make the location shine and then ultimately failing in the end! Quit outsourcing everything and do it in house to pass on the savings to give bonuses to employees who matter. Fire dead weight!

Ok place to work

Helpdesk Analyst III (Former Employee) Valley, NE

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsTo many managers of managers to get something done

Worked for Valmont Industries? Contribute to the Community!