Valmont Industries Reviews

Reset
2.8
Valmont Industries Chairman and CEO Mogens C. Bay
Mogens C. Bay

1. Overwhelmed by the incompetence of management to train new employees effectively.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley, NE

Pros

Valmont has relatively good benefits when compared with other companies it's same size.

Cons

Compared to other companies I have worked for, Valmont Industries surpasses all others in intimidating, coercing, and ragging on their employees in training instead of educating them as a training method. I was never in the military but have never before been ragged on, insulted and intimidated by any other employer the way I've been treated at Valmont. I took a two dollar cut in pay to work at Valmont then was reduced in pay two more dollars an hour before my 90 day probationary period was over because they were not satisfied with my progress.

Advice to Management

Get some one with real management experience to be your supervisors.

Valmont was ok at first then turned bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, IN

Pros

Pay was good for the area. Alot of good people working on the floor, good safety policies and clean environment.

Cons

They started buying parts from china that were defective.missing welds, poor welds,etc. When quality assurance brought this to managements attention they were terminated. These parts were for cell phone towers with coutomers employees tied off to these parts hundreds of feet in the air.All in the name of profit. not very many people on the floor happy with valmont.

Advice to Management

need to a undercover boss type of thing to find out what employees really think.

Worst Job Experience I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley, NE

Pros

A couple people were very nice. Compensation was not great, but acceptable. Benefits were okay, but vacation and personal time was below standard.

Cons

No training or training plan. Was shown a few things then turned over to a fellow employee who was obviously over-worked and over-stressed and who made it clear that training a new person was not on their agenda. The job shadowing portion of the training consisted of watching this person type really fast for four hours with their back turned toward me. I was made to feel like a burden every single day. Imagine trying to learn a new job and not having anyone to direct questions to without feeling like you were bothering them. Then the over-worked employee vocalized their distress at not being able to handle their work load and deal with a new person asking questions all the time. So management immediately assumed I was at fault for not learning my job fast enough. All of this within the first eight weeks! Unbelievable, really. The icing on the cake was when they decided to "lessen the load" of the over-worked employee. They had a veteran employee step in to train who was combative, disdainful, downright rude and completely incompetent and unprofessional. This person would become visibly upset and raise their voice when asked questions and look at me like I had just crawled out from under a rock. I've never been treated so poorly in a professional environment. Good riddance.

Advice to Management

Invest in a corporate trainer. Just because someone knows how to do their job well doesn't mean that they know how to train someone else.

Leaders Of Over Commiting and Under Acheiving...

Former Employee - Miracle Maker in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Miracle Maker in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its a job with benefits for short term until McDonalds calls.... Some of the people have a vast knowledge of the industry and are hard workers. Leaving that place!

Cons

Everything is always rushed without planning, Way too many meetings that accomplish absolutely nothing except wasting time. management expects miracles to happen without much guidence. No room for advancement unless you're in a relationship with someone in management. In my time of 9 years I saw at least 5 GM's and when they failed they were moved to a newly created position to justify their salary. I personally had 2 managers to report to that had no clue what I was talking about most of the time. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians. Had several employees with positions that were sensless and didnt have a point except to secure that person a job and waste space. Always iffy on the yearly bonus. Quality expected to be at a high level but bought products from intercompany facilities from Mexico and China that did not have to meet expectations and were passed off for being made in the US to deceive the customer. Monthly negative department status reports were falsely changed by management to hide their incompetancy. Yearly pay increases were never enough to cover the yearly insurance increases so every year I made less and less money than when I started there 9 years prior.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees for are loyal and screaming to be heard! Quit over commiting to reach customer goals to try and make the location shine and then ultimately failing in the end! Quit outsourcing everything and do it in house to pass on the savings to give bonuses to employees who matter. Fire dead weight!

6. Looks good at first, then it goes down hill fast.

Former Employee - Shipping/Receiving in Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Employee - Shipping/Receiving in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time

Pros

Very good benefits and bonus, Good schedule, fast paced.

Cons

No sick days, Health insurance was very hard to get paid, you had to call them on every claim to get it paid. leads and managers are bullies. If you took a problem to Human Resources nothing was done, the result was retaliation from your lead or manager. Many employees have been there for over twenty years and felt that they were protected from any wrong doing. NOT A HAPPY WORK PLACE

Advice to Management

Just because you make money does NOT mean what you are doing works. You have some very serious Problems that need addressing.

7. Violent Workplace, Considerable Money Wasted & Worked to Death

Former Employee - Shipper in McCook, NE
    Former Employee - Shipper in McCook, NE

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. This is the worst working environment I have ever been in.

Cons

They think they own you, demanding over 60 hours a week. The maintenance section is the biggest contributor to property loss. Money is wasted by the engineer section, buying whatever tickles their fancy or by incorrectly measuring things. I watched an assault on a contract employee and because the person conducting the assault was a manager, the contract employee was punished.

Advice to Management

Gut management from the lowest lead to plant manager. Bring in replacements that do not practice the "Good Ole Boy" style of management. Account for your property! More tool sets have walked out the plant than there are employees. Quit painting the entire plant everytime upper management schedules a visit. They aren't that stupid. If you need to build more systems, hire enought people so everyone isn't working six 12 hour days each week. You are making enough profit to hire the people.

Good Company Down The Drain

Former Employee - Welder in Farmington, MN
    Former Employee - Welder in Farmington, MN

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Slightly above average pay, good healthcare

Cons

Working conditions are progressively worse. Six day weeks have been mandatory for at least 9 months a year for years on end. 60 hour weeks are occasionally mandatory for weeks on end and employees are only given a couple of days notice. Occasional seven days a week. Employees are required to take vacation to have a two day weekend. Company summer outings at Valleyfair and Renaissance Festival have been replaced by a poorly catered meal from Famous Dave's and an extra ten minutes added on to our measly break. Breaks are in the form of one ten minute and one twenty minute break. Employees have to work an extra ten minutes every day because the ten minute break is unpaid. Employees are often made to work 14 days in a row to compensate for having a holiday. We worked through the weekend after Christmas this year because it was the end of the month. We only had two days with our families. No company culture, the turnover rate is so high that you don't have time to learn your "co-workers" names before they've quit. Management compensates for lost production, from a high turnover, by pushing their current employees even harder, leading to an even higher turnover. Management frequently lies to employees, I recall a fairly recent meeting where we were told that "nobody has quit because they're unhappy". I don't know who quits a job when they're happy. The shop meeting agenda, where employees can post questions to management, has traditionally been posted for a week in advance of the monthly meeting. For the last couple of months, they have only posted it for 24 hours, to avoid difficult questions and complaints. Attempts to question the quality/safety (These things could easily fall over and injure or kill somebody!) of the products being produced are often met with hostility and/or disinterest. The company is going to a "Four Ten" schedule, while keeping their 30 minutes worth of breaks. Please know that I do not envision a scenario where you will ever work a four day week. If they want 60 hours a week now, they'll want it regardless of the schedule they switch to.

Advice to Management

When the engine is blowing up, maybe it's time to lift off the throttle. Your employees who stayed loyal and put up with all your crap should be valued. Maybe show them you care. Holidays should be sacred.

This job is like getting waterboarded

Current Employee - Welder in Brenham, TX
    Current Employee - Welder in Brenham, TX

Pros

There really aren't many pay is ok if u like spending 60 hrs plus at work

Cons

Too much to list company is top heavy management has downs syndrome

Advice to Management

Resign

10. Glassdoor isn't posting my reviews? Need to be heard

Current Employee - Supervisor in Claremore, OK
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Claremore, OK

I have been working at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent health insurance, that's it. 401k and a small bonus every month, other than the money, which isn't that great of pay anyways, there are no other pros.

Cons

Valmont has a blatant disregard for employee health and wellness, if you get injured, you won't receive proper treatment, and the company will refuse to pay for the expenses, if you disagree with a member of management, depending on how much pull that person has, you will most likely be fired, whether you or rite or wrong. They treat you as if they bought and own you.

Advice to Management

Fix the crumbling building before somebody gets SERISOULY hurt. Show a little respect to your laboring employees that make sure you get that big pay check every week.

Total Competency

Pros

They are a stable corporation with plenty of work. they also have decent benefits. They are a multinational company with offices in most major countries.

Cons

The leadership at my site shows that they have no idea what goes on in an industrial site. They do not have any idea how to schedule work, the work week, or the time off schedules of the employees. They can not insure that materials are present on time so that the work they schedule can be done in the amount of time allocated so that the employees do not have to spend every weekend at work, away from their families.

Advice to Management

Management needs to start listening to the employees to find out what really goes on within the company, instead of act like they are listening and still doing the wrong thing.

RSS Feed </> Embed