Valmont Industries

Be The First To
Add Photos

Valmont Industries Chairman and CEO Mogens C. Bay

Mogens C. Bay

Not a great people company

ProsThere are some great people here but they are really let down by the leaderhsip, people practices

ConsLow salaries, limited career opportunites, terrible people practices

Leaders Of Over Commiting and Under Acheiving...

Miracle Maker (Former Employee) Mansfield, TX

ProsIts a job with benefits for short term until McDonalds calls.... Some of the people have a vast knowledge of the industry and are hard workers. Leaving that place!

ConsEverything is always rushed without planning, Way too many meetings that accomplish absolutely nothing except wasting time. management expects miracles to happen without much guidence. No room for advancement unless you're in a relationship with someone in management. In my time of 9 years I saw at least 5 GM's and when they failed they were moved to a newly created position to justify their salary. I personally had 2 managers to report to that had no clue what I was talking about most of the time. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians. Had several employees with positions that were sensless and didnt have a point except to secure that person a job and waste space. Always iffy on the yearly bonus. Quality expected to be at a high level but bought products from intercompany facilities from Mexico and China that did not have to meet expectations and were passed off for being made in the US to deceive the customer. Monthly negative department status reports were falsely changed by management to hide their incompetancy. Yearly pay increases were never enough to cover the yearly insurance increases so every year I made less and less money than when I started there 9 years prior.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees for are loyal and screaming to be heard! Quit over commiting to reach customer goals to try and make the location shine and then ultimately failing in the end! Quit outsourcing everything and do it in house to pass on the savings to give bonuses to employees who matter. Fire dead weight!

Worst Job Experience I've Ever Had

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Valley, NE

ProsA couple people were very nice. Compensation was not great, but acceptable. Benefits were okay, but vacation and personal time was below standard.

ConsNo training or training plan. Was shown a few things then turned over to a fellow employee who was obviously over-worked and over-stressed and who made it clear that training a new person was not on their agenda. The job shadowing portion of the training consisted of watching this person type really fast for four hours with their back turned toward me. I was made to feel like a burden every single day. Imagine trying to learn a new job and not having anyone to direct questions to without feeling like you were bothering them.

Then the over-worked employee vocalized their distress at not being able to handle their work load and deal with a new person asking questions all the time. So management immediately assumed I was at fault for not learning my job fast enough. All of this within the first eight weeks! Unbelievable, really.

The icing on the cake was when they decided to "lessen the load" of the over-worked employee. They had a veteran employee step in to train who was combative, disdainful, downright rude and completely incompetent and unprofessional. This person would become visibly upset and raise their voice when asked questions and look at me like I had just crawled out from under a rock. I've never been treated so poorly in a professional environment. Good riddance.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a corporate trainer. Just because someone knows how to do their job well doesn't mean that they know how to train someone else.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Valmont was ok at first then turned bad

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plymouth, IN

ProsPay was good for the area. Alot of good people working on the floor, good safety policies and clean environment.

ConsThey started buying parts from china that were defective.missing welds, poor welds,etc. When quality assurance brought this to managements attention they were terminated. These parts were for cell phone towers with coutomers employees tied off to these parts hundreds of feet in the air.All in the name of profit. not very many people on the floor happy with valmont.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to a undercover boss type of thing to find out what employees really think.

Overwhelmed by the incompetence of management to train new employees effectively.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Valley, NE

ProsValmont has relatively good benefits when compared with other companies it's same size.

ConsCompared to other companies I have worked for, Valmont Industries surpasses all others in intimidating, coercing, and ragging on their employees in training instead of educating them as a training method. I was never in the military but have never before been ragged on, insulted and intimidated by any other employer the way I've been treated at Valmont. I took a two dollar cut in pay to work at Valmont then was reduced in pay two more dollars an hour before my 90 day probationary period was over because they were not satisfied with my progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some one with real management experience to be your supervisors.

Total Competency

ProsThey are a stable corporation with plenty of work. they also have decent benefits. They are a multinational company with offices in most major countries.

ConsThe leadership at my site shows that they have no idea what goes on in an industrial site. They do not have any idea how to schedule work, the work week, or the time off schedules of the employees. They can not insure that materials are present on time so that the work they schedule can be done in the amount of time allocated so that the employees do not have to spend every weekend at work, away from their families.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to start listening to the employees to find out what really goes on within the company, instead of act like they are listening and still doing the wrong thing.

Walls are crumbling on what was an empire

Administration (Current Employee) Valley, NE

ProsLarge but losing market share and employee/customer confidence in the U.S.

ConsManagement out of touch with market, customers and employees. Total lack of leadership in the management ranks. High rate of micro management from the top. Panic management setting in. Product quality downward trending, massive missed shipments, customer contact employees left hanging with no support. Good employees are severely over worked to meet cost down goals. Internal personnel don't answer e-mails or phone calls. Seems like a company on the verge of an major fall and senior management does not know what to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the core values that made company a success. Trust your employees and value your customers instead of some useless internal metric.

Ok place

ProsShort commute, good benefits, & a busy, but sometimes overwhelming work environment. Pay is competitive for the area. Most of the coworkers are descent.

ConsPoor communication and teamwork between departments and from management. Ineffective leadership. Office politics runs wild. It's all about who you know, not necessarily what your skills & accomplishments are. Micromanaging to the Nth degree. No room for advancement unless willing to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement 101...get to know your employees and what it takes for them to do their jobs, before passing judgement on performance. Evaluate employees for their strengths & put them in positions that will help them succeed. Several good employees are being set up to fail and/or are under utilized. Consider a mentoring program. Management needs to reign in those employees that have 'gotten out of hand' over the years due to weak leadership.

Not worth the effort

Senior Drafter (Current Employee) Valley, NE

ProsGood benefits.

ConsPay poor. Stressed, low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sending out memos about the record earnings the company is making without passing any of that off to your employees. Stop demoting people who don't deserve it just because you need to move around resources so your bottom line looks better. Start providing real training to your employees. Make the company what you tell people it is when you hire them... a good place to work, where the management cares.

Structures Division

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Valley, NE

ProsLarge employer with decent benifits. Not a lot to speak of last 5 years

ConsOld GM syndrome. Poor senior management, does not value employee's or its customers, product quality downward trending, lots of chiefs to few indians, endless meetings and those meetings take priority over customer needs, industry follower not leader in U.S..

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up, your methods are not working. Learn to appreciate experienced employee's and your customers

Worked for Valmont Industries? Contribute to the Community!