Valpak Direct Marketing Systems

Valpak Direct Marketing Systems Reviews

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014

Michael Vivio

Good products if you can afford to work for straight commission.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Valpak Direct Marketing Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent print, direct mail and online marketing organization that is a great resource for small to medium sized businesses. You have the full force of the corporate ties Valpak, Inc. has with it's sister companies with a great website containing great referrals from happy clients in other cities and digital experts that sometimes fly to Houston to make sales calls with reps.

Cons

Way too much pressure is brought to bear on sales reps while not living up to the promise and signed agreement when hired to pay a base for a year with certain conditions and parameters. Unfortunately, those parameters were changed to the benefit of the owner and not the reps & resulted in large decreases in the guarantee. Saw at least 10 reps come and go within a 4 month period, in addition to the firing of a longtime employee who was billing about $100K a month. No consistency in pay plans and personnel.

Pay people a decent living while they're building a business and don't change their plans because you didn't want to live with the contract you offered them.

Great sales environment

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Valpak Direct Marketing Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand and reputation in the marketplace. The leader in envelope shared mail.

Cons

Small clients take more time than the large ones, but they are necessary.

Find sales reps with a desire to make a ton of money. That will improve your results!

fast paced, interesting people

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boonton, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boonton, NJ

I have been working at Valpak Direct Marketing Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fast paced, interesting people, 9 to 5 job

Cons

not being paid enough money, no accolades

pay your staff better

Hope

Pros

Culture, co-workers, and comp are decent.

Cons

They are rolling out digital products & services that I hope corporate will fully back so sales teams can dominate not only print but grab a piece of the digital pie too.

Keep training engaging, processes simple, transparent, and efficient and sales team will be able to maneuver more quickly.

Taking money from small business owners & giving it to Valpak

I worked at Valpak Direct Marketing Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck, schedule, no overhead, company parties

Cons

Guilt of knowing that the product isn't the best option for the business owner in the majority of cases based on the real world results observed over time. It is much easier when you are new & believe the company's version of what works & why vs the real world...
    There are only a few business categories that are consistently conducive to success by utilizing the Valpak marketing options -
    The monetary benefits are OK and the work schedule is good. It just gets down to how well can you sleep at night.

Valpak of Philadelphia/Lancaster Franchises - Don't waste your time!

Former Employee - Digital Media Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Digital Media Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Valpak Direct Marketing Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my day to day duties as Digital Media Specialist - working directly with sales reps and clients to build web presence for them on Valpak.com.

Cons

Just about everything other than sitting at my desk quietly doing my job. Terrible ownership - no management or communication skills. No familiarity with employment laws (specifically the National Labor Relations Act). Owner was condescending and close-minded. I was embarrassed in front of co-workers on a regular basis, for example - while on the phone with a sales rep the owner interrupted my conversation and proceeded to yell at me with the rep still on the phone and other staff members within earshot. She did this based on my half of the conversation, which she overheard from the next room. To anyone out there in HR - I know you are shaking your heads at this.

Learn how to manage. I would say attend some classes or read some books...but I'm not sure any of that would even help. Books and classes can only do so much when you lack professionalism to begin with.

It was OK

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Valpak Direct Marketing Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Commissions, NIce people to work with

Cons

Selling Print Ads, Ups-and-downs, benefits, very little praise

Great place to work...if given the time to build your base of clients

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive

I worked at Valpak Direct Marketing Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My job was with a Western US Franchise Valpak office as Account Executive - Sales of print and digital media to businesses Because you start with no base of clients, this franchise operator offered a base salary plus commission which is very fair and reasonable. The salary base is for one year as you build the base of clients, then it cuts in half for second year, then it drops complete in the third year - putting you on a straight commission of between 10 - 15%. Be prepared to go out and find your clients. Like Rollercoasters as the sales can do just that. There is no magic list. Success takes time and perseverance and hard work.

Cons

Valpak print is still the core and many businesses don't find it very effective anymore, and Valpak's digital is still too new and nebulous for great results so the renewal rate after a first run is difficult in all but a few proven categories.. Many of my prospects quit their print and do strictly internet or run cheaper magazines. Valpak had the perception that we're too expensive (which is not true) and it doesn't work anymore.

This office was run well and had a great culture. Great people. Very impressive. I was disappointed to not have enough time to build my base - laid off in ten months with no notice after being told I was doing great... Two stellar months (months nine and ten) followed by sales that plummeted when five accounts postponed... or cancelled their print run early due to poor ad results so I was immediately laid off. Totally unexpected.

Overall I had a good experience at Valpak

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Largo, FL

I worked at Valpak Direct Marketing Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked with many good intelligent people. The work was satisfying and the compensation was more than fair. Benefits are good including a 401k match program. The dress code is extremely casual with jeans everyday being the norm.

Cons

Very little opportunity for upward advancement. Recent layoffs, lack of clear direction from management and new work space configuration has hurt morale.

The next time you layoff a large number of employees maybe have a well thought out strategic plan for the future.

Overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Largo, FL

I worked at Valpak Direct Marketing Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers, benefits, a successful local business and we'll known brand

Cons

Lots of meetings and not enough decisions, who you worked for definitely could make a difference in your visibility within the company

If you hire the right people then trust them to make the right decisions; without having to run every little thing by the entire company (management). This just doesn't show confidence in your people/employees or let them feel they are true contributors with decision making capabilities.

Valpak Direct Marketing Systems Photos