Valpak Direct Marketing Systems
www.valpak.com Largo, FL 1000 to 5000 Employees

Valpak Direct Marketing Systems Reviews

Updated Jun 20, 2014
Valpak Direct Marketing Systems – Saint Petersburg – “Main Print Roll buffer”

Michael Vivio

It was OK

Marketing Representative (Former Employee)
    Ashburn, VA

ProsFlexible Hours, Commissions, NIce people to work with

ConsSelling Print Ads, Ups-and-downs, benefits, very little praise

Great place to work...if given the time to build your base of clients

Sales Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsMy job was with a Western US Franchise Valpak office as Account Executive - Sales of print and digital media to businesses Because you start with no base of clients, this franchise operator offered a base salary plus commission which is very fair and reasonable. The salary base is for one year as you build the base of clients, then it cuts in half for second year, then it drops complete in the third year - putting you on a straight commission of between 10 - 15%. Be prepared to go out and find your clients. Like Rollercoasters as the sales can do just that. There is no magic list. Success takes time and perseverance and hard work.

ConsValpak print is still the core and many businesses don't find it very effective anymore, and Valpak's digital is still too new and nebulous for great results so the renewal rate after a first run is difficult in all but a few proven categories.. Many of my prospects quit their print and do strictly internet or run cheaper magazines. Valpak had the perception that we're too expensive (which is not true) and it doesn't work anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis office was run well and had a great culture. Great people. Very impressive. I was disappointed to not have enough time to build my base - laid off in ten months with no notice after being told I was doing great... Two stellar months (months nine and ten) followed by sales that plummeted when five accounts postponed... or cancelled their print run early due to poor ad results so I was immediately laid off. Totally unexpected.

Overall I had a good experience at Valpak

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Largo, FL

ProsI worked with many good intelligent people. The work was satisfying and the compensation was more than fair. Benefits are good including a 401k match program. The dress code is extremely casual with jeans everyday being the norm.

ConsVery little opportunity for upward advancement. Recent layoffs, lack of clear direction from management and new work space configuration has hurt morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe next time you layoff a large number of employees maybe have a well thought out strategic plan for the future.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a good place to work

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Largo, FL

ProsCoworkers, benefits, a successful local business and we'll known brand

ConsLots of meetings and not enough decisions, who you worked for definitely could make a difference in your visibility within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you hire the right people then trust them to make the right decisions; without having to run every little thing by the entire company (management). This just doesn't show confidence in your people/employees or let them feel they are true contributors with decision making capabilities.

Laid off 72 people this year

ProsCOX is a great parent company and be nights are great

ConsThey have lay offs every year and Sr management is old school boys club.

Horrible! Turnover so fast it will make your head spin! Revolving door, stay away!

Account Executive - Advertising Sales (Former Employee)
    Culver City, CA

ProsThey hire really good, sweet people who think it's an honest place to work until they are fired for no reason.

ConsManagement is payed to hire salespeople, and once they receive their "commission", the salespeople are let go with no warning and no reason. You are fired by a manager you have never met before. When asked why are you are being terminated, the answer is, "it's just not working out. Grab your things and I will walk you to the parking lot." The environment is one of complete paranoia and fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet top management go, and stop paying managers a commission to bring on new salespeople. There are 2 ads per day for Salespeople in Culver City, CA.

Great Company to work for...

Process Technician (Current Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsYou get vacation time up front. Leadership has improved significantly over the last year versus last 6 years. Growth within the company is starting to be seen on all levels, slow process but coming along. This company allows you to be who you are and bring diversity to the table. You are not judged by your skin color or racial background!

ConsMost of the con's are your typical growing pains within a company. Employees want this,employer gives that. Decisions are often times perceived as if there is no collaboration or buy in from employee level. Biggest disappointment has to be the shift in more production then about the employees that work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with employees. Don't be so tight lipped. The more information employees know and understand. The better your company will be. Employees don't mind working hard when they are on the same page as leadership.

Great place to work and grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Largo, FL

ProsCollaborative environment; leadership is open to feedback and accessable; employer funded pension plan; great potential

ConsLow pay; however, there is an employer funded pension.
    Not very sophisticated when it comes to data mining to shape strategic and tactical decisions. Modeling is mostly based on averages versus any valid statistical approaches.
    Trying to advance into the digital marketing space with current employees when they should be buying the best talent available with solid digital experience

Advice to Senior ManagementShake up the leadership team - they aren't the talent to advance digital.
    Incent the franchise owners to stop contracting their territories
    Bring in outside talent to infuse the organization with new blood and a fresh set of eyes
    Don;t relocate the headquarters to downtown St Petersburg - you will loose many employees by going so far south in the county just because that location is close to the CEO
    Hire some Lean and Six Sigma engineers to provide real analysis to support the best strategy

Get learning experience

Accounting Internship (Current Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsGreat work environment. Everybody works as a team and makes the work place feel welcoming. Also everybody is willing to help if you might have a problem.

ConsDid not work long enough to give a Con

An Unpleasant Experience

Senior Process Technician (Current Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsBenifits and retirement plan were great.

ConsThe organizations value of diversity. In some departments male employees are unaccustomed to working with women and are openly resentful. Including supervisors and managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the management team. I advise a formal education to be a prerequisite for a management positions including H.R. I also suggest discrimination training to be revisited and enforced in all departments. This will in turn reduce the good old boy atmosphere in the departments where needed, and possibly bring moral up.

Worked for Valpak Direct Marketing Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Valpak Direct Marketing Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Valpak Direct Marketing Systems CEO Michael Vivio. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Valpak Direct Marketing Systems employees.