Valspar Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
2.3

Valspar President & CEO Gary E. Hendrickson
Gary E. Hendrickson

Pros
  • Benefits are good and middle management works very hard and are fair to employees (in 10 reviews)

• Some good people in the department I was in (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Get micro managed, everything is a priority (in 11 reviews)

• Company has a GOOD PRODUCT but poor management to support it (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

New and Loving It

Current Employee - Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Valspar is great. Everyone has been very friendly and helpful to me which has made my relocation very easy. I've had the chance to immediately jump into some great projects and have been impressed with the creative, collaborative nature of the team. I truly look forward to coming to work and although I'm new, I have never felt like an outsider. I have found people to be genuinely interested in you and your ideas. I've got a great boss who has given me a lot of freedom and I appreciate his trust in my skills and abilities. I am so happy I joined the Valspar team!

Cons

You have to actively manage your inbox or too much could come your way. I appreciate the opportunity to be included and am glad people are coming to me but if you don't prioritize your efforts then overlapping deadlines will happen.

When the team moves over to the VAST center, continue to find ways for people to meet others outside of their immediate department.

Valspar is an OK place to work at

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bonuses, Company Car, Flexible Schedule, Great Team environment

Cons

Micro-Managed
    No Trust
    Expect too much
    Out with the old, in with the new attitude
    If you're not from B and D don't expect a promotion

Trust the people at the bottom of the chain that they can do their job correctly and accurately, and actually follow your motto of "hiring within"

Growing Global Organization - Great People!!

Current Employee - Corporate Staff in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Staff in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for offers the benefit of working for a large company with an entrepreneurial spirit. Great vision and growth initiatives. Wonderful people to work with always willing to help. Great opportunity to make suggestions and see the impact they have on business and Valspar as a company.

Cons

Communication is sometimes delayed but it appears the leadership is working on improving communication to the employees.

Consider looking at ways to brand Valspar as an employer and a company.

Worst job of my career!

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Valspar full-time

Pros

Some good people in the department I was in....but they got laid off along with a bunch the year before that. A common theme with this company. Holiday time off okay. Glad I had a short stint there to appreciate the job I have now. I realize how just plain awful Valspar was to work for.

Cons

Executive Management rule by fear. As do most VP's who have been there too long. Treat employees like 5 year olds...treat women like objects. HR likes to act like hall monitors and will tear you down if you get caught talking over by the copier or the coffee areas and will go run to your boss and say your gossiping, which they have NO idea what your talking about. Old goats need to go.....not even sure what some of them even do but walk around all day looking all menacing and don't ever say "Hi" to any employees....they think they are better than all the "lower level" employees. I heard that the CEO especially doesn't even like most the employees there. No one smiles....people who are maybe new start off smiling but then quickly their spirit deteriorates and they walk around looking at the ground and usually look like a kicked puppy. Its very sad.

Don't have any advice for people who don't listen.....but I DO have advice for the BOD....get rid of all that heavy old baggage and bad leadership.....take a look at ALL the bad reviews on this site for this place. The only good reviews I see are from current employees who either work in HR (SO obvious people, come one) or people who are desperate to have one or two good reviews on this site so that they can fill a position they desperately need filled. They believe in churning and burning people out....EXCEPT for the top tier.....anyone looking to work here, seriously think twice about it.

Smoke and mirrors

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There has been some great effort put into nice offices and a push to create a forward looking environment. Generally, employees are decent and look to discretely help one another

Cons

There is a environment that will not allow forward progress to take place. It is incomprehensible how ludicrous the highest level leaders behave and how there is a loyalty to people that treat one another and employees so poorly.

Listen to your employees and exit the ones that are doing damage to any progress the company is looking to make. Can the board of directors please look at these postings and call the highest levels of leadership to the carpet. It's so obvious to those who work at this company it's almost comical.

Different experience depending on your boss and department

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Valspar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They have pretty good benefits, pay, 401K match, and facilities. They are large enough to give opportunities and training for employees.

Cons

You only get advancement and opportunities based on knowing the right people. You can be totally limited in career mobility if you do not have the right boss or know someone higher up the chain. I have heard of people who seem to be fine with the company but they either were in the "right" group or were cut throat to move up.

Do something about opportunities for people that put in a lot for that company. Stop the nepotism and find out what middle management is creating problems.

Little people

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Valspar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leadership of this company is not short on making fast decisions that impact all of its employees shareholders and wallets. Creating divisions like the paint drop and planting in countries it has not worked in before like china Australia.

Cons

The people make the decisions are not always thinking through and planning as big people would be expected to do. So time, money resources are spent with little regard for reality. This is why initiatives fail and little people get damaged along with company reputation

Act and lead more like big people.

run

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

not much to mention here, other then that the offices are nice

Cons

EVP of industrial and his VP of industrials Americas are the poster children of what is wrong with Valspar. Low gray mass protected by the CEO because they suck up Cut the midget VP of industrial Americas, and the EVP with just a HS degree. Get real and get real talent

Adress IndustrIal and adress consumer which is a disaster yet to unfold.

Use to be a good place to work- now it's horrible

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

401K
    Holiday time off is nice

Cons

Upper Management from the CEO, CFO, Controller down is completely out of touch with their employees. They completely micro manage and turned what use to be a very motivating, forward thinking, great place to work into what feels like a prison now. Ideas are no longer encouraged and it is a "Do this or do as I say" type of work place. We used to get great results for encouraging our employees and now that is going downhill.
    They do not care about the "little people" and continue to run people out of this company, really good, hard working people that have been with the company for several years.
    The whole dynamic of the company changed when the new CFO came into play.
    Both he and CEO only care about the bottom line and do not care about the staff that helps them achieve it.

They are also not competitive in pay at all.

Look at others outside the board room.
    Encourage forward thinking and ideas from people other than the executive management team.
    Stop trying to micro manage everyone. We can do our jobs without you breathing down our necks (or trying too).
    Encourage your valued employees and their careers with Valspar. That has completely changed in the past year. It seems you don't care about keeping good people any longer.

Be competitive in pay.
    Have an HR department that actually cares about the employees. They do not care about employee concerns nor do they do anything about them.

Horrible management.

I worked at Valspar as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

great 401 match. vested after 5 years of service.

Cons

No growth for lower level --(call center employees) at Guardsman. Ideas are stolen from lower level employees, micro managed. Management is prejudice.

Listen to the lower level employees, they matter. They are the ones helping to make your company what it is. When you have happy employees, you have a good atmosphere. I don't mean give more cookouts either.