Valspar

Updated December 12, 2014
2.4

Valspar President & CEO Gary E. Hendrickson
Gary E. Hendrickson

Pros
  • Benefits are good and middle management works very hard and are fair to employees (in 10 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are above average (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Get micro managed, everything is a priority (in 11 reviews)

• Lack of Work-Life Balance, over the year all perks have been removed (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Valspar Paint

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Valspar

Pros

For the most part, they are a pretty laid back company. As a rule, they promote from within. Employees enjoy a large amount of perks. After two years, I was at 3 weeks of vacation and 5 personal days. They buy your lunch every day up to $10.

Cons

There is a lot of computer/paperwork.

Layoffs suck!

So why are we all looking over our shoulders?

Current Employee - "manager" in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - "manager" in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Aggressive sales oriented heritage.
    Quickly becoming the consumer coatings leading company to watch.
    Great Marketing effort to improve market share.

Cons

House of cards...
    Used to be a great team-building company.
    Used to have a great heritage in the paint and coatings industry.
    No mentoring, No leadership, Very little good basic management.
    HR is busy firing and hiring.
    Token communication from the "vision leaders" to the employees that are expected to make the strategy happen.
    You would be better off here if you came from B&D or Newell Rubbermaid.

Not certain what advice would be actually listened to.
    Management is pretty sure they have it all figured out.
    I wonder if the BOD agrees?

Some great experiences but a recently a lot of Bad

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and Bonus are good

Cons

Short term focus. No long term strategy. No talent development. Culture is such that new VP's coming in assume everyone who has worked there for more than a year is stupid. The reality is that many of the employees know what to do to drive change but have not been listened to, empowered or given resources to drive the change that is needed. Communication is terrible. The rumor mill is how people find out what is going on. In fighting and conflicting objectives at the top which is a distraction for the employees.

Listen to the employees and treat the good ones well. Soon there will be a lot of high priced "Chiefs" who only know how to function in a large corporation where there are already solid processes, systems and money for continuous improvement in place. These leaders will not roll up their sleeves to get the work done and do not know what to do with out a huge staff and unlimited funds. The indians are all leaving. Who will do the work??

Old Fashioned Men's/Boys club.......no woman in their right mind would work here

Former Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Valspar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a gym downstairs in the building.....but only if you can get away from your desk without getting hassled for it does it do any good. Holiday time is nice....but not really worth all the bad that comes with this toxic place. Maybe because they deal with so many chemicals all the upper managements brains are crazy? Who knows.....I did meet some nice people, but most are gone now....others are trapped and on high alert for new opportunities outside this toxic company.

Cons

The "C" suite is the most uncomfortable area in the building. No one smiles (anywhere)....no one really trusts anybody....if you laugh you may as well be writing your own pink slip. HR monitors employees like I've never seen before. They are the ones writing the good reviews on this site......so predictable and so obvious. VP's who have been there so long have no understanding of anything else and have adopted this crazed way of management....the entitlement of these guys is unreal, most belong to the upper-crust boys clubs in the city....if you look a certain way and are meek and mild you may get to hang on to your job for a little while....but if you speak up or dare to challenge you are construed as "difficult" and they will get rid of you. All the money in the world won't make management any happier. These people are not happy....and it rolls down hill. They are good at enticing people to come join the charade.....once they got you though....look out. As for being a woman at this place, you feel like you are working in the era of "Mad Men", seriously think twice about this place....do your homework. Man or woman....this place is not worth it.

Advice???? Right................as if they'd listen. One day though.....the BOD will listen and they will clean house....matter of time.

Really quite bad, short window of opportunity to course correct

Current Employee - Inflated Title in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inflated Title in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valspar full-time

Pros

Work life balance is reasonably good.
    It's not a cut-throat culture, and there are pockets of smart, progressive, and friendly people.

Cons

Some days I feel like I woke up in 1975, but with a laptop and a smartphone.

You would think a 4 billion dollar global company would be a lot more buttoned up, but it isn't. There's no corporate or divisional strategy to speak of - it's really quite frightening. There's also no culture to speak of...just some people in a building talking about paint.

Leadership has a pretty myopic view of the world.

There definitely seems to be an old boys network here of people who have worked for the same two companies.

I've never seen any of the impropriety first hand that other posts have mentioned...but I don't think it's a stretch to think it could happen based on what I see on a daily basis.

Sometimes I feel bad for people at mid-senior levels, as they seem to be in way over their heads.

Close to zero diversity

Zero career development opportunities

The board of directors really needs to clean house. I understand that the CEO has created shareholder value over time, but at some point that bubble is going to pop, so get a head start now.

Don't underestimate or discount the level of dissatisfaction among employees. I think there's a chance to turn this ship around, but there's a narrow window of time to do it.

Manager consumer paint

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great location close to Ohare airport. Nice office and interesting office

Cons

Sinking ship were smoke and mirrors have just caught up with consumer leader that saw a big loss to SW turn into his promotion???

We are all amazed you did this. Should you not have to deliver? Lowes running away from us? You let him off the hook? What?

Stay away

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this company.

Cons

Very toxic work environment. Just a paycheck

Valspar is an OK place to work at

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bonuses, Company Car, Flexible Schedule, Great Team environment

Cons

Micro-Managed
    No Trust
    Expect too much
    Out with the old, in with the new attitude
    If you're not from B and D don't expect a promotion

Trust the people at the bottom of the chain that they can do their job correctly and accurately, and actually follow your motto of "hiring within"

Everyone hates it here.

Current Employee - IT Generalist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IT Generalist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are above average. It is nice working downtown.

Cons

For a 200 year old company, you'd think there would be systems and procedures to do everything but all processes are done at the last minute by the seat of your pants. Any one who has been here for over five years talks about how good it used to be and every one who has worked here less are updating their resumes. All of the IT systems are antiquated. There is no employee development and I feel like my skills are deteriorating the longer I stay here. The corporate culture is toxic and it is rare to see anyone smile or hear laughter in the building. They dangle travel over your head as a reason to stay but only a select few ever get to go to other locations.

The skills to fix the systematic problems with employee morale are not within the company. Hire a good consultant who will help you turn this ship around and listen to them.

Good Company

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits and good coworkers

Cons

Lack of Work-Life Balance, over the year all perks have been removed

Work harder to keep good employees