Valspar Reviews

Reset
2.6
Valspar President & CEO Gary E. Hendrickson
Gary E. Hendrickson

Pros
  • Benefits are good and middle management works very hard and are fair to employees (in 10 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are above average (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Get micro managed, everything is a priority (in 11 reviews)

• Poor working environment and work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. Territory Sales Manager

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Valspar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company in itself is a hard working, dedicated group. Everyone has the same attitude towards achieving success through hard work.

Cons

The Lowe's division is terrible. They have horrible marketing, high retention, and understaffed employees. We constantly changed business models due to our Customer's request

Advice to Management

Management is fantastic, there are no ego's and everyone wants the best.

Packaging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wexford, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wexford, PA

I have been working at Valspar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with a lot of great people! The company overall is very lean which can be frustrating but it also means you get to work on a wide variety of projects. It's a good challenge and you develop experience.

Cons

The hours necessary to meet expectations mean longer days. You will find a lot of frustrated people who feel unappreciated and unhappy with upper management's lack of communication and poor leadership. The company continually loses talented individuals without understanding why.

Advice to Management

There is a strong need for better communication. Upper management needs to provide mentoring and career guidance for younger employees. Management should also think on a more global scale (instead of just what's best for Minneapolis) and implement better reporting systems.

3. Operations

I worked at Valspar

Pros

Good company with a lot of different businesses segments and opportunities. Stock ownership program has done extremely well.

Cons

Change is painful. Some of the change has effected good people who were not always treated with the respect that they should be.

5. Valspar | Empowering Ownership & Results Focused

Current Employee - Corporate Administration in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Administration in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a company that is over 200 years old - Vaslpar is a coating manufacturing company that has a lot of pride in its rich history and quality of product. This pride in quality and tradition emanates through the organization shaping its earnest, face-past culture and results focused work environment. Valspar's lean and talented workforce consist of subject matter experts, change agents, and results drivers who are empowered by their leadership to take ownership of their roles and responsibilities within business and areas they support to drive change and decision.

If you are fortunate enough to work in Minneapolis a the VAST campus - this space embodies the value of old world tradition meets today's innovation. The refurbished space is not your typical "corporate cub farm". Instead Valspar has poured passion and pride into creating a beautifully crafted workspace that is as neat as it is functional. The campus itself is comprised of four buildings which creates a mini Valspar city - Each building with its own unique qualities and design. The location of the campus is right in the thriving area of 11th and Washington and Valspar is blazing the trails of this prime location with the advent of the new stadiums more business and opportunities will be coming here. It's great to be in such a place where we get to be a part of change and evolution each and every day.

Cons

The corporate culture is hard working and maybe not as flashy as other companies, but these are good and genuine people here because of their talent and abilities.
    Change can be hard for some and so if you aren't able to manage working in a dynamic work environment where transformation and evolution are occurring then this maybe isn't the company for you. Valspar needs individuals who are able to be fluid, self-starters and able prioritize and drive decisions and change, so if you like a challenge and embrace the opportunity to drive innovation then you've come to the right place.

Advice to Management

Wellness is becoming a huge part of everyday life and with while Valspar offers an immensely great benefits package, everyday wellness could be improved. Investing in a locker room facility with showers at the VAST campus for employees would be a huge win for this space. Employees want to be able to utilize the walking paths, biking paths and even close workout facilities during their workday but have no place to freshen up and get back to work. Investing in this would really make a huge change and value add to this unique space.

6. Sales Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valspar

Pros

Great leadership team. Results driven culture.

Cons

Career opportunities are minimal unles you're willing to relocate.

7. Great Company, Okay Benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Valspar is the national sponsor of Habitat for Humanity, and allows employees to volunteer with Habitat without using vacation. Knowing that they walk what they talk on this is great, and it's been really refreshing to work for a company with values.

There is a great employee culture, and our HR team is actively working to make it better. There have been a lot of personnel changes in the last few years, and Valspar is building a new culture with employee input, designed to help us connect with our fellow employees, as well as improve our work/life balance.

If employees are motivated, there are great opportunities for job growth, both in your existing role, laterally and upwards in the company.

Cons

Vacation time is low in the region - I took fewer days when coming here.
    401k matching is great, but doesn't hit until after a full year. This is also unfortunate compared to the regional companies matching immediately.
    Health care is adequate, but again, this is worse than my last employer - vision is not a very good program.
    Change management & communication could be better.

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns of your top employees - there is a dynamic market in this region, so benefits need to be best in class.

8. Development Chemist

I worked at Valspar

Pros

Valspar provided an open career path that was communicated via semi-annual reviews. I also enjoyed the work environment at the Pittsburgh research facility.

Cons

The work is not as glorious as other occupations, but my place of employment always led to some lively dinner conversations.

Advice to Management

Always staff focused on your employees without them the business will contract. I would also suggest taking the long term view on business decisions.

Nightmare

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valspar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bad management, working in The Paint Drop is a nightmare. Management that thought up this POS got promoted and washed his hands of this incredible failure

Cons

You get bullied, there is no planning or strategy, The Paint Drop is a epic failure for us here at Valspar and no one is helping us from upper management. If you are considering Valspar as a career choice like I did let me warn you. Great interview, great first month, then the panic lack of direction back stabbing starts. CEO supports the team that made this mistake and won't do anything. This is symptomatic of the culture and the management philosophy

Advice to Management

Get real and get together with your board of directors and let them know you are out of ideas and not capable to run this company and the failed paint drop initiative. Oh by the way maybe tell them you are getting destroyed at your major U.S. Retail partner

Changing Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Valspar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to advance if you are aggressive and capable

Cons

Culture changed to be very cutthroat, ALL business, no people. Made it a miserable place to work, with everyone out for themselves. Collaboration disappeared.

Advice to Management

Value people and what they contribute to the business. Everyone is replaceable, but it's expensive to replace good people.

Full of Lies

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time

Pros

Not a good company period.

Cons

Operates like a Mom & Pop Store. Your ideas are not valued and HR is least concerned about the direction the company is heading. Just find out what the Labor turnover rate of the organization is. Employees at all levels of the organization leaving the company. I would not recommend any ambitious employee to apply.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with the organization - Middle management and HR providing inaccurate information regarding why individuals are leaving the company

RSS Feed </> Embed