Valspar Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
2.2

Valspar President & CEO Gary E. Hendrickson
Gary E. Hendrickson

Pros
  • Benefits are good and middle management works very hard and are fair to employees (in 10 reviews)

• Meeting a lot of great people (because top talent comes and goes so quickly) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Get micro managed, everything is a priority (in 11 reviews)

• Company has a GOOD PRODUCT but poor management to support it (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

New and Loving It

Current Employee - Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Valspar is great. Everyone has been very friendly and helpful to me which has made my relocation very easy. I've had the chance to immediately jump into some great projects and have been impressed with the creative, collaborative nature of the team. I truly look forward to coming to work and although I'm new, I have never felt like an outsider. I have found people to be genuinely interested in you and your ideas. I've got a great boss who has given me a lot of freedom and I appreciate his trust in my skills and abilities. I am so happy I joined the Valspar team!

Cons

You have to actively manage your inbox or too much could come your way. I appreciate the opportunity to be included and am glad people are coming to me but if you don't prioritize your efforts then overlapping deadlines will happen.

When the team moves over to the VAST center, continue to find ways for people to meet others outside of their immediate department.

Valspar is an OK place to work at

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bonuses, Company Car, Flexible Schedule, Great Team environment

Cons

Micro-Managed
    No Trust
    Expect too much
    Out with the old, in with the new attitude
    If you're not from B and D don't expect a promotion

Trust the people at the bottom of the chain that they can do their job correctly and accurately, and actually follow your motto of "hiring within"

Growing Global Organization - Great People!!

Current Employee - Corporate Staff in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Staff in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for offers the benefit of working for a large company with an entrepreneurial spirit. Great vision and growth initiatives. Wonderful people to work with always willing to help. Great opportunity to make suggestions and see the impact they have on business and Valspar as a company.

Cons

Communication is sometimes delayed but it appears the leadership is working on improving communication to the employees.

Consider looking at ways to brand Valspar as an employer and a company.

Different experience depending on your boss and department

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Valspar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They have pretty good benefits, pay, 401K match, and facilities. They are large enough to give opportunities and training for employees.

Cons

You only get advancement and opportunities based on knowing the right people. You can be totally limited in career mobility if you do not have the right boss or know someone higher up the chain. I have heard of people who seem to be fine with the company but they either were in the "right" group or were cut throat to move up.

Do something about opportunities for people that put in a lot for that company. Stop the nepotism and find out what middle management is creating problems.

Horrible management.

I worked at Valspar as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

great 401 match. vested after 5 years of service.

Cons

No growth for lower level --(call center employees) at Guardsman. Ideas are stolen from lower level employees, micro managed. Management is prejudice.

Listen to the lower level employees, they matter. They are the ones helping to make your company what it is. When you have happy employees, you have a good atmosphere. I don't mean give more cookouts either.

Use to be a good place to work- now it's horrible

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

401K
    Holiday time off is nice

Cons

Upper Management from the CEO, CFO, Controller down is completely out of touch with their employees. They completely micro manage and turned what use to be a very motivating, forward thinking, great place to work into what feels like a prison now. Ideas are no longer encouraged and it is a "Do this or do as I say" type of work place. We used to get great results for encouraging our employees and now that is going downhill.
    They do not care about the "little people" and continue to run people out of this company, really good, hard working people that have been with the company for several years.
    The whole dynamic of the company changed when the new CFO came into play.
    Both he and CEO only care about the bottom line and do not care about the staff that helps them achieve it.

They are also not competitive in pay at all.

Look at others outside the board room.
    Encourage forward thinking and ideas from people other than the executive management team.
    Stop trying to micro manage everyone. We can do our jobs without you breathing down our necks (or trying too).
    Encourage your valued employees and their careers with Valspar. That has completely changed in the past year. It seems you don't care about keeping good people any longer.

Be competitive in pay.
    Have an HR department that actually cares about the employees. They do not care about employee concerns nor do they do anything about them.

Smoke and mirrors

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There has been some great effort put into nice offices and a push to create a forward looking environment. Generally, employees are decent and look to discretely help one another

Cons

There is a environment that will not allow forward progress to take place. It is incomprehensible how ludicrous the highest level leaders behave and how there is a loyalty to people that treat one another and employees so poorly.

Listen to your employees and exit the ones that are doing damage to any progress the company is looking to make. Can the board of directors please look at these postings and call the highest levels of leadership to the carpet. It's so obvious to those who work at this company it's almost comical.

consumer group disaster

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

nice office, close to the chicago airport

Cons

Management and strategy a disaster. miss guided, all about near term looking good to the team. Made zero impact on the business and all they touched is turning into a disaster

Make a change while you can. Your team in Chicago is in serious trouble, and you are doing nothing? We are all reaching out to our mangers and our voices are not heard

Playground Politics

Current Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Seen valspar go out and somehow able to find smart and experienced people to decide it was a great career move to join. They bring fresh ideas and fresh perspectives to bring value to shareholders and teams.

Cons

When those same people figure out what kind of company they really joined they leave, give up or turn away from their character very fast.

Analyze turnover of Director+ populations and seek to figure out the cause. Look at employee survey results and take action.

Industrial environment -- uncomfortable, dirty, noisy, physically laborious

I worked at Valspar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company benefit package, holiday perks, and competitive pay.
    Big emphasis on safety.
    All tiers of mgmt., co-workers, and maintenance staff easy to interact with.

Cons

Outdated obsolete equipment. Uncomfortable working environment--temp., humidity, dirt, chemicals, noise. Some safety, ergonomic, & operational efficiency issues disregarded because of budgetary concerns.

Spend the money for upgraded equipment and better ergonomic design.