Valtech

Valtech Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Valtech CEO & Chairman of the Board Sebastian Lombardo

Sebastian Lombardo

Pros:
  • "Coworkers are very sharp and it is a good place to learn and grow technically"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Valtech used to have a lot of really bright technical people"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management is not very transparent"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Valtech is an IT body shop masquerading as a "hybrid" digital agency--whatever that means"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Growing Agency

Project Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Valtech full-time for less than a year

ProsThe technology talent working in the NY office is impressive. Everyone seems to be at the forefront of platform development. A great place to learn and grow, or lead if you have the chops for it

ConsThere is so much growth that the culture is new and learning. give it a few more months and the teams will find an identity

linux admin

Linux Administrative (Former Employee)

I worked at Valtech full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood environment, and good people, every thing was good

Consno thing special to criticise, I left the job for travel reason

Advice to Senior Managementno

Never transfer your H1 to this company

Database Administrator (Former Employee)
Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Valtech full-time for more than a year

ProsPays on time when you are in project.

ConsHR, Management, Very bad marketing team.. I think there is only one person in marketing team and she does a horrible job. When you have a project in hand this company will transfer your H1 without any issues. They will make false promises that they will apply for green card and work on your compensation, etc, etc. As long as you are in a project they are not bothered. Even if you are not satisfied with the project and request to move to a new project they will never listen to you. As long as they are getting their money from the client they are fine. Once you are out of your project then they will start searching for a new project for you. Their marketing team is so bad they can't find a project anywhere in US for 2-3 months. And then they will start the harassing you saying that they will cancel your H1 as they did what ever they could do and they can't afford you. And by the way they wont pay you when you are on bench even though you are a full time employee. Hr will give you a stupid reason for not paying you. They will put you on leave. So after 3 months you will be fed up and look for a project and transfer your visa. They really don't care about the employees. I sincerely request not to transfer your visa to this company. They follow use and throw policy.

The Fawlty Towers Of I.T Consulting

Delivery (Former Employee)

I worked at Valtech full-time for more than 10 years

ProsValtech is focused on some strong markets with good potential.

ConsManagement is leaving the Dallas office like the place is engulfed in flames!!

I was a part of Delivery/staff augmentation and had less success than any position I have ever had. Sales people bring in a lot of numbers but nothing EVER comes out it as far as closes. It is all but impossible to make any money in this place. Client base is static and dwindling and absolutely no efforts are spent trying to open meaningful lines of revenue.

Management is totally clueless and this fact is exploited by employees especially on the Sales/Marketing side. Their are no underlying processes or real structure and every day is a crap-shoot. There are a number of incompetent and/or totally unqualified people in key positions over Sales, Recruiting and Project Management who are huge deficits to any progress.
This place is a Political landmine and everyone lives by the "I am first rule"
Known issues are ignored and swept under the rug rather than resolved.

There are ZERO repeatable processes and as someone pointed out results are never measured and mistakes are repeated. Sometimes it is like being stuck in limbo. There is NO PASSION in the Recruiting team and ONLY one person making any real money.

Valtech has a lot of meetings and talks about finding ways to constantly improve but adhere to a strict "Head in the sand-Ignore it and it will go away' policy of apathy. Politically there is a "Us against them" mindset and everyone in Management has their own agenda with no regard for the employees.

If you just want a place to draw a paycheck and watch a comedy of errors join Valtech.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an environment that truly rewards employees in both financial as well as personal rewards. Give people a real forum for open and honest communication and criticism without fear of some repercussion. Evaluate people by the quality of their work not the quantity. Focus on building new business that will provide REAL opportunity for people. Get rid of the people, processes and methods that do not ROI.

Depressing place to work; complete lack of creativity and energy

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Valtech full-time for more than a year

ProsA place to chill and work on your resume as you find your next gig--the work has dried up so you'll have plenty of time.

ConsStuck in the 90s; absent HR and very poor communication from top leadership.
Top people are leaving rapidly and it has been on death watch for three or four years now.
It's not a digital agency and it's not a cutting edge IT shop--so what's the point here?
Complete lack of energy at the workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in some visionaries and get rid of the non-performers. Communicate in a more transparent manner with employees and work harder to develop a more dynamic work culture.

Very disorganized with backward processes, poor benefits, no bonuses and no growth potential.

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Valtech full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some (although that number is going down fast) smart people that you can learn from. The NY office is in a cool location and if you live in the city, this is a convenient commute, not more than 5-10 minutes walk from major subway lines.

The merger with the Texas based IT company Adea a few years ago has provided a little bit of financial stability.

ConsThe HR department is a joke--very slow to respond to basic questions and concerns. Benefits keep getting trimmed.

Serious lack of interesting work--the company is trying to be a digital agency and shake its IT consulting image, but it is quite a struggle to win clients because of our IT legacy and lack of creative skills.

The management in NY is from Europe and they simply do not communicate well. For example, senior managers do not hold regular briefings to help you understand how you fit into the organizational goals--basic stuff.

The lack of personal growth is a severe detriment--they are always in a budget crunch so forget about going to conferences or undertaking career development training.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere to begin? Pay more attention to employee needs around benefits, personal growth. Invest in training and have team building events--quit worrying about your own (already generous) salaries when the employees get no bonuses. Communicate basic goals and how you hope to achieve them.

Confused about what it wants to be; hemorrhaging good people, and clients are outraged

Senior Consultant II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Valtech full-time for less than a year

ProsSome mild recognition in Europe, somewhat competitive pay--if you negotiate right. The work can be okay if you are able to navigate the political environment and serve as your own source of inspiration.

ConsValtech is an IT body shop masquerading as a "hybrid" digital agency--whatever that means.

Founded in 1993, Valtech has been at a cross roads for so long that it makes you wonder what is up. Good employees are not sticking around to find out, however. The lack of leadership, exciting work, bonuses and decent benefits have caused several senior and key staff to leave in recent months.

Valtech talks a good game about agile, but in reality the organization is more like an early 90s IT consulting monolith: The internal job titles--consultant, analyst, project manager--reflect the tech shop/IT mindset and it is loaded with middle management, and devoid of creative, strategic visionaries.

There is shockingly little communication from senior management about the state of the union, and collaboration between the various "global" offices is non-existent. Information is siloed and management (in Europe and US) does not understand digital.

The NY office, which was established to expand the digital practice, is run by European transplants who do not get the U.S digital market. The company's own digital branding is all over the map (over a dozen websites, blogs, social media accounts)--they don't know the basics of social media and digital engagement.

The creative and delivery aspects are so poor that even formerly loyal clients have lost patience and have switched to other agencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the basics of communication. Inspire and engage staff. Figure out how to retain top performers and get more creative and strategic minded folks on board.

Good technical skills, good place to learn, good coworkers, sometimes upper management is not as good

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Valtech

ProsMiddle management is very good, open communication and takes employees wishes into consideration. Coworkers are very sharp and it is a good place to learn and grow technically.

ConsSometimes upper management makes large blunders that affect the whole company. Seems to be getting better. Also sometimes you may be loaned out to other companies to pay the bills.

Career growth is too less

Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Valtech

ProsThey offer moderate salary and benefits
Technical consulting with sales exposure possibility

ConsNo communication between higher management and employees
No better way of sharing the knowledge between people in different geography
No processes for improving the work environment but processes to contend people
Sales involvement with developers is too much
Too demanding to deliver with out planning properly
Unprofessional people are out there in all departments, especially sales, HR. They lie, they talk bad words and many more....

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to have a proper strategy and planning to help everyone inside the company first before helping the customers

Awful, just plain awful

Senior Consultant II (Former Employee)

I worked at Valtech

ProsOpportunities to work with a variety of clients - when there was work to do. Some great colleagues, all of whom now moved on to better companies.

ConsNever a raise or bonus, totally incompetent management at all levels, complete lack of focus, no support for on-the-ground practitioners, no clue what agile means, no clue how to sell agile services, total lack of respect for the people doing the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop posting fake reviews! Shilling for yourselves is shameful and displays all of the traits that make Valtech a terrible place to work. Instead of making up fairy tales, devote your energies to improving the business and treating all employees with dignity and respect.

Worked for Valtech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Valtech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Valtech CEO Sebastian Lombardo. All 66 reviews posted anonymously by Valtech employees.