Value City Furniture

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
2.7

Jay L. Schottenstein

Pros
  • Friendly co works, pay was about industry standard with good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Customer Service based foundation (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all sales jobs your work schedule can vary and sometimes you work over 40 hours (in 5 reviews)

• Customer Service is an underpaid position which requires you to be in mutiple position while be paid for one (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I had a great experience working for VCF.

Former Employee - Home Furnishing Expert in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Home Furnishing Expert in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Value City Furniture

Pros

Great manager, Jim Frank
    The company was very supportive and considerate during the illness of my mother
    The management was supportive of the staff

Cons

long hours, it was hard to work every holiday, and the store itself needed refreshing

Freshening up the appearance of the sales floor, and rotating the sales staff for holiday weekend sales would be a huge improvement

Hostile work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Value City Furniture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn several stress coping mechanisms.

Cons

Owned by incompetent family that think they are loved in the community but are actually loathed. Ridiculously low compensation.

Stop kidding around and move to Florida where you spend most of your time.

The newer CEO of the company is the younger generation and they are greedy.

I have been working at Value City Furniture

Pros

It's 100% commission in sales. You make your own money.
    With multiple salespeople on the floor it is easy to schedule your vacations.

Cons

Hours- work most weekends, holidays and you work 9-9 frequently.
    Corporate expects more but cuts pay/bonuses even if you (as a store) have done better than the previous year. They do not respect the hard work the employees give to their company.

CARE about your hard working employees.

Great pay

Former Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Catonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Catonsville, MD

I worked at Value City Furniture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay and wonderful customers!

Cons

Horrible hours! Co-workers were low-down, backstabbing, thieves!

Watch the sales floor to keep it civil!

loving and new idea in life

Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Value City Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the furniture and I love working the American people

Cons

we codinate well with all race and culture am selling for
    the company and getting to know more costumer

they should provide more take with furniture for the quick take for costumer emergency ocastion

Don't waste your time...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Value City Furniture full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Weekly paycheck, health benefits, vacation pay, and in some instances the people you work with

Cons

Upper management has no follow through, continually bringing new managers in from the outside...Don't seem to have much confidence in current employees or interest in growing them. Company doesn't make it very appealing for employees to want to move up as they offer no real incentives for their managers they are more interested in giving everything to customers...then they take away raises and 401k matching....wow

Grow some

Seat of your pants opperation

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Value City Furniture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company pays weekly, you also get a 30% discount on purchases, this discount can also be used at DSW because Value City Furniture's owning family (Schotenstein) are on the board and are the majority stock holders! Can usually negotiate, a lower price for clearance items for yourself. The products they sell are of high quality and at a lower price than the store down the street. Great co-workers!

Cons

This is a family owned company, the cronyism and nepotism are rampant. I know of a lot of district managers and higher ups that have their positions only because they looked the other way when it came to doing illegal practices, such as having employees work overtime but saying those extra hours weren't in the budget, and putting that time on next week's pay, but without the overtime amount!! This happened to me, so I know it happens. I worked there for 7 years and my position was elminated twice, but I was moved to different postions, and of course like corporate magic, I assumed all the duties I had before but with less pay! Like the title of this review states, this is a seat of your pants opperation! I think if this were a publicly traded company the extream amount of profit loss and bad organizational decisions would send it into junk status. There's some way that a store can stay open 14 years but only turn a profit one quater, and it's probably dirty!

Stop trying to grow too fast, hire an outside merchandising consultant for your corporate headquarters, get every store operationally and visually on the same page. Your manager meetings are a joke, these should be more than a dog and pony show for some executive getting excited about a new floor layout or a new line up of merchandise. Use this time to develop leaders, not future corporate criminals!

Great company to work for, but you will work.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Value City Furniture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is filled with great people. Has really taken a step forward toward changing perception of the company with new branding concept.

Cons

Work load is rough. Management is very hands on. Always busy from start of day till end.

Need more budget for store staff so mgrs are doing what they are hired to do

manager

I have been working at Value City Furniture (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a manager you are most likely smarter then your boss

Cons

A clear direction of what the identity of the company is and will be.

Never settle, stagnant pay.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Value City Furniture full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Other employees make working here tolerable. Paid weekly. The President is young, some of the recent changes seem to be steering the company in the right direction.

Cons

Dated polices and procedures. System technology is ancient. Nepotism runs rampant. Expect to work every holiday and weekend, you will not have a life outside of work. You will be told to work 70 hours a week if that is what it takes to get the job done. When you divide your pay by hours worked, you will discover that the warehouse and office leads take home more money. Vacation time will blacked out more than half of the year. New CEO every couple of years means constant change. They eliminated jobs, added the work to the Assistant Managers and the money saved allows the General Managers to bonus, while they sit in their office Monday - Friday barely working 35 hours a week. Departments at corporate office have no sense of urgency, if you have an issue with your benefits, you will literally wait weeks for a response or resolution. They changed people's titles and job descriptions without giving a thought that everyone who worked to get promoted to Assistant Manager just got demoted so that an untrained Sales Manager with no responsibilities to budgets, scheduling, customer service issues, or manager on duty responsibilities can become their boss.

Corporate office is so far removed from reality of what it is like to actually execute what is expected. Seriously need to think things out and check with legal before you make drastic changes.