Value City Furniture

Value City Furniture Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014

Jay L. Schottenstein

Pros
  • Friendly co works, pay was about industry standard with good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Customer Service based foundation (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all sales jobs your work schedule can vary and sometimes you work over 40 hours (in 5 reviews)

• Customer Service is an underpaid position which requires you to be in mutiple position while be paid for one (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

loving and new idea in life

Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant  in  Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Value City Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the furniture and I love working the American people

Cons

we codinate well with all race and culture am selling for
    the company and getting to know more costumer

they should provide more take with furniture for the quick take for costumer emergency ocastion

Great pay

Former Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant  in  Catonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Catonsville, MD

I worked at Value City Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay and wonderful customers!

Cons

Horrible hours! Co-workers were low-down, backstabbing, thieves!

Watch the sales floor to keep it civil!

Seat of your pants opperation

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Value City Furniture full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company pays weekly, you also get a 30% discount on purchases, this discount can also be used at DSW because Value City Furniture's owning family (Schotenstein) are on the board and are the majority stock holders! Can usually negotiate, a lower price for clearance items for yourself. The products they sell are of high quality and at a lower price than the store down the street. Great co-workers!

Cons

This is a family owned company, the cronyism and nepotism are rampant. I know of a lot of district managers and higher ups that have their positions only because they looked the other way when it came to doing illegal practices, such as having employees work overtime but saying those extra hours weren't in the budget, and putting that time on next week's pay, but without the overtime amount!! This happened to me, so I know it happens. I worked there for 7 years and my position was elminated twice, but I was moved to different postions, and of course like corporate magic, I assumed all the duties I had before but with less pay! Like the title of this review states, this is a seat of your pants opperation! I think if this were a publicly traded company the extream amount of profit loss and bad organizational decisions would send it into junk status. There's some way that a store can stay open 14 years but only turn a profit one quater, and it's probably dirty!

Stop trying to grow too fast, hire an outside merchandising consultant for your corporate headquarters, get every store operationally and visually on the same page. Your manager meetings are a joke, these should be more than a dog and pony show for some executive getting excited about a new floor layout or a new line up of merchandise. Use this time to develop leaders, not future corporate criminals!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

manager

I have been working at Value City Furniture for more than 5 years

Pros

As a manager you are most likely smarter then your boss

Cons

A clear direction of what the identity of the company is and will be.

Great company to work for, but you will work.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Value City Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is filled with great people. Has really taken a step forward toward changing perception of the company with new branding concept.

Cons

Work load is rough. Management is very hands on. Always busy from start of day till end.

Need more budget for store staff so mgrs are doing what they are hired to do

Never settle, stagnant pay.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Value City Furniture full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Other employees make working here tolerable. Paid weekly. The President is young, some of the recent changes seem to be steering the company in the right direction.

Cons

Dated polices and procedures. System technology is ancient. Nepotism runs rampant. Expect to work every holiday and weekend, you will not have a life outside of work. You will be told to work 70 hours a week if that is what it takes to get the job done. When you divide your pay by hours worked, you will discover that the warehouse and office leads take home more money. Vacation time will blacked out more than half of the year. New CEO every couple of years means constant change. They eliminated jobs, added the work to the Assistant Managers and the money saved allows the General Managers to bonus, while they sit in their office Monday - Friday barely working 35 hours a week. Departments at corporate office have no sense of urgency, if you have an issue with your benefits, you will literally wait weeks for a response or resolution. They changed people's titles and job descriptions without giving a thought that everyone who worked to get promoted to Assistant Manager just got demoted so that an untrained Sales Manager with no responsibilities to budgets, scheduling, customer service issues, or manager on duty responsibilities can become their boss.

Corporate office is so far removed from reality of what it is like to actually execute what is expected. Seriously need to think things out and check with legal before you make drastic changes.

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Value City Furniture full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Mostly great piers to work with. Four of 5 regional managers are professional and knowledgeable. One regional manager is ethically and morally under developed.

Cons

Corporate changes directions very quickly and often.

Keep your numbers up and head down. Don't add to discussions.

If you pay attention to the customer and do your job you can make a comfortable living.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Value City Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay structure
    Positive company
    Sales driven
    Customer oriented

Cons

Managment could support there people better, and stand behind there sales staff more.
    Better insurance and benefits program.
    Inside promoting could be more of a benefit if there was no prejudging.

Watch your store managment to make sure your sales staff are treating the customers in a positive manner.

Great Sales position but poor benefit options and commission only pays once a month

Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant  in  North Olmsted, OH
    Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in North Olmsted, OH

I have been working at Value City Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome sales experience, individualized results, achievable goals, good commission rates, great customer service experience, longevity, decent promotion opportunities.

Cons

Benefits options are limited, commission only pays once a month with a weekly hourly pay but it is not enough, teams are too compettitive and there is no reason for it, long hours and poor scheduling, work every holiday but Easter and Christmas. Required to work all other holidays.

Change team stucture, weekly commission pay outs or bi-weekly payouts, better schedules, holiday rotations.

You're not selling furniture

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Value City Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

4 day work week. friendly atmosphere. good time off policies. fair compensation. good quality furniture, usually in stock.

Cons

all your pressure is on furniture and fabric protection sales. I did okay at selling it, but when I found out they don't actually treat the fabric with the stuff I was selling, I had to go.

Worked for Value City Furniture? Contribute to the Community!