ValueOptions
www.valueoptions.com Norfolk, VA 1000 to 5000 Employees

ValueOptions Reviews

Updated Mar 22, 2014
ValueOptions – “ValueOptions, Inc.”

ValueOptions CEO Heyward Donigan

Heyward Donigan

Pros:
  • "Opportunities for advancement and work from home on average 1-2 days per week"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Flexible schedule and good benefits"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Monotanous, not a lot of variety in job duties, limited room for advancement"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Results of surveys bring "wrath of God" feeling down on entire service center"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Big company, management and staff unequipped

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time

ProsCompetitive salary, paid training. Company seems to have spent a lot of time on it's corporate image. Decent benefits but expensive.

ConsNot enough innovation or room for growth. Typical ageist favoritism within management. The public, even their members, know very little about the company. Slow staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less time on the management of your hourly associates and further develop those who are salaried/old farts who will be there for years. Their energy is what trickles down.

Could be much, much better

Clinical (Current Employee)
Coppell, TX

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time

ProsGreat coworkers, good PAL/sick time

ConsNo 401k match, favoritism in upper management, national management don't seem to care about what's really happening with front line staff, little communication from the top down. Depending on where you work, there's little to no room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to listen to your staff, then actually act on what you hear. Treat staff like adults and professionals and care about something more than meeting performance guarantees--if you take care of your staff they'll want to help you meet those goals.

Good place to work one upon a time

Tampa, FL

I worked at ValueOptions full-time

ProsNone anymore. Most of the knowledge has left.

ConsThey do not value individual employee contribution and allow too many good staff to leave without looking into why.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better attention to what is going on in the ranks even at remote locations. LISTEN.

Former CCM

Clinical Care Manager (Former Employee)
Coppell, TX

I worked at ValueOptions full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people and work culture, most employees had a strong work ethic and became great friends. Lots of smart people.

ConsThe workload was unrealistic most days. At least 12 hours needed to comfortably finish a day instead of all day rushing for 8 hrs without a breather, but had to finish in 8 hrs while answering continous phone calls for treatment auths and also reviewing multiple treatment progresses at facilities. High stress environment, where decision between hanging up on a doc whose call you needed all day for a treatment denial and a boss standing next to you telling you the other line is blinking and have to meet quota..pick up the other line...had to be made a lot. This was a licensed clinician job!

Advice to Senior ManagementA training video doesn't always fix a problem and it sure doesn't obsolve you of all responsibilities to deal with negative employees. Your inaction can make strong workers leave.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company to start out with.

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Latham, NY

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStarting out, this was a great company to get my foot in the door with. If you're dedicated, you can move up quickly, and if you've never had a professional job before, the money makes you feel rich. The biggest benefit the company offers is their paid leave. Starting out at 3 weeks a year, it bumps up to 4 weeks a year after 5 years or you become salaried, and a 5th week is added if you've been with the company 5 years AND are salaried.

ConsAs in many companies, a point is reached where you can no longer move up. The higher the rank within the company, the less turnover there is, so you end up getting locked into your position and accept your annual merit raises which hardly account for anything. From a benefit perspective, their 401K isn't the greatest. In my five plus years with the company, I've had them do a one time match which hardly accounted for anything. The sick time plan doesn't really make much sense either; you earn the time, but it's frowned upon to use it.

Clinical Liaison

Clinical Liaison (Current Employee)

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsValues, culture and consistent hours

ConsNo room for advancement, no employee incentives

Advice to Senior ManagementNotice strengths of employees and allow for more opportunity to excel in the company.

Very positive experience

I worked at ValueOptions

ProsSupportive manager and varied work responsibilities
Low turnover

ConsNo downsides noted at that time

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries should be reviewed

Despite loud claims to the contrary, NO respect for employees. Stop talking and start doing.

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome of the most intelligent staff I have ever met! Staff members have varied and strong knowledge base, but are not valued as contributors.

ConsNo support. No contact from managers unless survey results have told them they need to do it. Personal, public attacks from upper managers is a regular event. Too many projects interfering with day to day ops. Pressure to answer surveys and to not do surveys if you don't have anything good to say. Results of surveys bring "wrath of God" feeling down on entire service center. Allover crummy place to work. 2% raise is annual max. "High performance work culture" at VO means you work harder and they don't have to pay you more for that privilege.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking and start doing! You seem to think you understand what your workers are going through but you show that you don't by your actions. If you really don't get it then hire a consultant to figure it out. Until you do, the good people will keep jumping ship. You have such great potential.

No complaints

Accountant III (Current Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork Life Balance
Recognizing your current employees when it comes to promotions

ConsCompensation - should consider a market analysis review.

shockingly inconsistent treatment of employees. nitpicking of productive workers with no clear direction given

I worked at ValueOptions full-time for more than a year

Prosgood salary, good colleagues, interesting work.

Consgroup mobbing and verbal smack downs

Advice to Senior Managementyou may end up with a lawsuit if you

Worked for ValueOptions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ValueOptions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ValueOptions CEO Heyward Donigan. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by ValueOptions employees.