ValueOptions

www.valueoptions.com

ValueOptions Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014
ValueOptions – “ValueOptions, Inc.”

ValueOptions – “ValueOptions, Inc.”

ValueOptions CEO Heyward Donigan

Heyward Donigan

Pros
  • Opportunities for advancement and work from home on average 1-2 days per week (in 6 reviews)

• Retention, low turn over and good benefits for leave/timeoff (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I would like to see the company bring back 401K match (in 7 reviews)

• No room for advancement, no employee incentives (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Average.

Human Resources (Former Employee)

ProsGood people at the mid-management level, trying hard to motivate their teams.
    Fairly generous compensation offers.
    Attempts made towards career advancement for its people.
    Could be used as a good stepping stone in one's career, wouldn't have wanted to stay long term for fear of the job going stale.

ConsUpper management could be unprofessional at times. Dishonest. Unfocused.
    Policy-driven.

ConsHR Sr Management Need I say more

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out HR and compensate people

Corporate environment and priorities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsWasn't micro managed, had a good supervisor

ConsUpper management was harsh to some employees, and ignorant about others. If you keep your head down and mouth shut, you'll do fine.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent Employer

EAP Workplace Consultant (Current Employee) Coppell, TX

ProsProvides training for clinical staff, casual atmosphere, ability to work from home, opportunity to change positions internally with openings in new departments.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement, high expectations for low talk time in call queues (which can result in poor quality of care), 30 minute lunch breaks, clinical care managers micromanaged, very difficult to get highest level of performance on annual review, typically 2.5% annual increase, no 401k matching, vacation can be denied depending on coverage. Clinical care managers and UM staff do have tiered salaries and pay more for higher performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize high performers in all departments and reward accordingly. Try to retain talented employees.

Provides EXCELLENT services to military EAP participants by outstanding masters prepared staff

Licensed Triage Consultant, In Service of Military OneSource (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsSatisfaction of being able to help callers (participants) in real time, whether high risk calls (suicide, homicide, domestic violence), distress calls, or more routine calls proving answers to questions and assisting participants access many excellent EAP benefits. Opportunity to improve behavioral clinical skills, develop EAP skills. Constant learning regarding military culture and workflows; experts available to provide guidance on the spot. Regular auditing to improve performance and validate excellent performance. Inservice education. Working with outstanding colleagues.Salary satisfactory. Decent severance package related to reduction in workforce starting end of June 2014.

ConsCompany behavior not in compliance with its stated values and mission. Lack of transparency, hidden agendas. Anxiety producing environment for most employees. Employees not treated with the same respect and compassion as they are expected to give to the participants. Inadequate supervision, many meetings cancelled. Aberrant and offensive behaviors in persons in authority positions tolerated. Too few trainings in classroom setting. Very limited opportunity for teamwork. Limited opportunity to share meals or breaks with peers. Poor insurance benefits; high deductible.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider hiring an expert or experts to help in reorienting to a compassionate, supportive and validating environment for employees. Consider the positive benefits for the company for instituting a radical change in values and behaviors toward employees, from control and repression to validation, compassion, and willingness to listen and acknowledge.

Hit and miss

ProsVery interesting to learn about challenges in addressing behavioral health care issues. You get to see the social aspects of care that you may not have a chance to see in other companies.

ConsWeaker benefits than prior companies, poorly run HR resources and a lack of a high level view of care management services.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to direct focus to our best markets and finally give people the resources to do the best job possible. Seems very fragmented on what we want the business to be.

Unorganized Company

Claims Processor (Former Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsLearning new systems, free bagels, learning about claims processing job. Co-workers were nice and interesting. Enjoyed meeting new people. The benefits are decent.

ConsSo many cons: pay, unorganized training, micro-managed to the point of being treated like a child and did I say unorganized company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut supervisors and trainers through some people skills courses.

A daily study in how to survive corporate think

ProsNice, professional office environment. As a social worker, I don't have to worry about the psychotic and manic patient I'm assessing suddenly either punching holes in walls or propositioning me. I only hear about it over the phone--and cases for review are always clinically interesting. Pay is probably a bit above average. Hey, if you earn more than $50,000 per year as a social worker, you know you've really "made it!" Health insurance, vacation time and other benefits are good.

ConsJust bought out by another managed healthcare organization; currently very unstable/ in flux with multiple layoffs. Other than this little issue, get ready for big corporation thinking--the bottom line is the bottom line. Even under normal daily operations, they think nothing of slashing employees' jobs. The goal is to get the most work squeezed out of the fewest amount of workers--and no overtime pay. There was lots of corporate flowery rhetoric about how the company was doing so well, but for some reason it never translated into 401k matching, etc. Well, I guess we now know why.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead between the lines of the above comments.

OKAY place to work

ProsThe co-workers are great. Working for VO has been a valuable learning experience.

ConsThe Senior management is not interested in keeping talented staff.

Great Company with good benefits

Marketing Production Specialist (Former Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsThe health benefits are reasonable priced and excellent very good teamwork in Marketing

ConsNo cons very flexible with work schedules and great teamwork amongst all employees

Worked for ValueOptions? Contribute to the Community!