ValueOptions

Updated February 8, 2015
Updated February 8, 2015
2.7

Timothy Murphy

Pros
  • Opportunities for advancement and work from home on average 1-2 days per week (in 6 reviews)

• Retention, low turn over and good benefits for leave/timeoff (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • I would like to see the company bring back 401K match (in 7 reviews)

• The paid time off is average and health insurance benefits are substandard (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Business Systems Analyst II

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst II
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst II

I have been working at ValueOptions

Pros

Benefits are excellent; Time-off is above-average

Cons

Can't thing of anything negative

Management in my office is better than any other place I have worked!

Report Screener

I worked at ValueOptions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gain professional experience in managed care - it seemed to be LGBT friendly

Cons

Low Pay - Strict Hostile Work Environment

No esprit-de-corps. Funny how a company filled with Humans Service 'pros' seems to have an inordinate number of Dilbert-esque personalities especially mid-management. I always go this feeling people (mgt) are anxious about getting in trouble/losing job and therefore they drill it to subordinates.

Awesome Federal Program!!

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great organizational structure and support from the top. Lots of recent promotions within to folks who deserved it. Leadership is top notch as they care about their employees and their success. Good work is recognized and encouraged. Good pay and benefits. Love serving our military!

Cons

Clinicians working on phones can get monotonous but if you are motivated for special projects, you will be assigned one.

Keep doing what you're doing! Continue to talk to and make yourselves visible to your employees. It is much appreciated!

Corporate needs to be more involved with Service Centers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ValueOptions

Pros

The people in the office were great. I enjoyed the work I was doing; I just wasn't allowed to do it. This could have been a great place to work and a great opportunity, if leadership was in place.

Cons

Onsite leadership in certain departments is lacking. There is no consistency and Corporate is not handling things appropriately. There needs to be more corporate involvement until local departmental leadership gets an better handle on things.

Planning ahead is imperative. Placing qualified people in positions of management, instead of focusing on friendship and helping employees out by giving them a job they are not qualified to do, is a better use of time.

When management is floundering due to lack of knowledge and experience and does not ask their staff for insight or help, the staff suffer, and management is ineffective.

LOVED MY JOB

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Coppell, TX

I worked at ValueOptions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for promotions with pay. Many resources to get help when you need it. Great pay.

Cons

Dept was moved to NY. Not enough staff so it was VERY DIFFICULT to get any time off.

This is by far the WORST company I've ever worked for!!!!

Former Employee - Provider Relations Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Provider Relations Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at ValueOptions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job is very easy

Cons

Hostile working environment, vindictive co-workers, incompetent upper management, no chance for advancement

ADVICE TO POTENTIAL EMPLOYEES: Don't do it! This company will try to ruin a good person! Unless you are the type of person who enjoys backstabbing other people and throwing other people under the bus, this company will not be a good fit for you. A typical day at work consisted of dealing with very unhappy and miserable co-workers (mostly all catty and immature women) complaining and whining about their work loads and that they have more work than everyone else. My department was full of lazy people, who never wanted to work and tried to hand off all of the tasks they didn't want to do to others on the team, or just not complete the tasks at all. Day in and day out my co-workers complained about everything and everyone, not to mention would throw everyone else under the bus every chance they got in order to keep the attention off of themselves and try to make themselves look good to our boss. If something went wrong within the department, the person to blame would never take ownership, but would try to pass the buck to someone else on the team so they would get in trouble. I've never been around such negative, vindictive, and hateful people, anywhere, ever! I saw quite a few people get fired or end up quitting because certain people on the team who were the bosses "favorites" kept throwing them under the bus and trying to get them into trouble for everything and anything! If you weren't one of the boss's "faves" and in with the backstabbing co-coworkers who threw everyone under the bus, you were treated as an outcast and thrown under the bus, too. If you try to mind your own business and not get involved in the company politics, you will get dinged for it. Don't even think about going to HR about anything. They are in cahoots with upper management and not on the employee's side. Upper management is also very incompetent, unprofessional, and doesn't have any business managing others. They barely get along with each other and also like to promote a hostile working environment. They like to keep the different departments divided instead of promoting a team environment. Most of the departments within the company don't get along because of this division and will shift blame when things go wrong.

You also receive very poor training when you take a position with this company. Training usually consists of 2 days. My job was actually a piece of cake, however whenever I did have questions, there was no one to turn to for support. Half of the time you're given the wrong information or you have to wait weeks for some kind of answer. For the most part you are left hanging and having to wing your job.

There is nothing really positive I can say about VO. There is no unity here and it's definitely far from a team environment. The pennies they offer for a wage are average and aren't worth the aggravation, frustration, and stress of the environment you have to work in. They offer expensive health/dental insurance benefits, and a 401K that they don't match at all. There is very little chance for advancement with VO unless you like to brown-nose and throw your co-workers under the bus. If you do end up taking a job with this company, be VERY careful and watch your back.....

Great company! The CEO is progressive and works to continue to supply a superior product to clients and members.

Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Coppell, TX

I worked at ValueOptions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Balance between work and personal time was good. Co-workers and management were team focused and supportive.

Cons

Limited opportunities to advance within the company.

I hope you don't change too much since you've merged with Beacon.

Credentialing Specialist

I worked at ValueOptions

Pros

Great place to work with relax setting

Cons

pay is to low for the work needed to be completed

Pointless, fruitless work

I worked at ValueOptions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Worked from home with little oversight so it was easy to find a new job

Cons

Contract structure didn't seem ethical. No supervision. Actual job didn't match job description. No guidance in newly created role. Lower pay than non profits. Even lower mileage reimbursement than other companies. They did give me a new iphone but were then too cheap to even buy a text plan - what's the point?

Pay some attention.

Destructive, Negative, Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at ValueOptions

Pros

The people who actually supported IT projects were smart, and dedicated.

Cons

Management is ruthless, and insulting to people who work hard and ethically. False appreciation. I've seen wonderful conscientious dedicated employees be ill treated just to fire them, and discriminating levels.

There is no advice to offer management with cognitive dissonance.

ValueOptions Photos